IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 94.
#1451 6 years ago

I just need to say. I've have had many pinball machines and for some reason Firepower II is one I never get sick of.

KIMG0227 (resized).JPGKIMG0227 (resized).JPG

#1452 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Any chance someone knows the replacement switch number for FirePower II kick out hole for multi-ball. I'm unable to locate it and don't have a manual that is goes into depth.

The eject kick-out is like the micro switch that is used in High Speed.
The out hole switch is also a micro switch that is used in High Speed.

#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I just need to say. I've have had many pinball machines and for some reason Firepower II is one I never get sick of.

I agree I have 1 and 2..
We play the hell out of both ..

#1454 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

My serial number is 415555

Weare do I find this serial number ?

#1455 6 years ago

As they instructed me: in the front, under the coin door, stamped into the wood.

#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

As they instructed me: in the front, under the coin door, stamped into the wood.

Cool.. I will scope out mine. .

#1457 6 years ago

Mine is 426727

#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The eject kick-out is like the micro switch that is used in High Speed.
The out hole switch is also a micro switch that is used in High Speed.

Ok, thank you. I'll try to look up High Speed's manual.

#1459 6 years ago

Are there good playfield scans available if there are some areas I wish to make some decals for? I've decided to tackle the restore as a project.

#1460 6 years ago

I've wanted good scans too....anyone?

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Are there good playfield scans available

I've got a decent set of graphics (playfield and plastics) that I put together for my virtual version of FP2. They are based on a stitched playfield scan. I re-drew them in Illustrator so they are currently vector format but I can convert them if you want to take a look.

You may have to play with some scaling of the decal so they will align with your playfield correctly.

The sample .png I attached is at 72 dpi. I can provide a 300dpi version that will work better for decals.

FP2PFnew (resized).pngFP2PFnew (resized).png

#1462 6 years ago

Well... yes that is beautiful but I wanted it for Firepower, not Firepower II.

Got a nice scan of that?

#1463 6 years ago

Actually yes. My mistake on which machine. I'm sending this from a mobile device. When I get back to my computer I'll upload it for you to take a look at.

#1464 6 years ago

Thank you in advance!!

#1465 6 years ago

Here you go. I have a much higher resolution file but it is to big to upload here. Adjustments will obviously have to be made to contrast and brightness (among others) to make any generated decals look right on your machines.

If you want the hi-rez file PM me with how best to deliver it.

Best Regards!

FP-PF_lower resolution (resized).pngFP-PF_lower resolution (resized).png

#1466 6 years ago

The scan I pulled this from had some problems in the area around the right green lock insert so I had to "fix" it in photo shop.

#1467 6 years ago

That is beautiful, thank you. That's going to be very helpful. Do you *have* the 300 dpi one as well?

#1468 6 years ago

Has anyone ever looked into installing a headphone jack on a firepower (1 or 2?) I have a friend who is a chiptunes artist so I'm trying to researching getting the audio signal out of my firepower 2 to record so he can make a song with them. I see that headphone jack products exist, but nothing that I can find for games this old.

#1469 6 years ago

The ghetto way would be incredibly easy: desolder the two leads from the speaker, and attach them to the two leads of a mono headphone jack. Record your sounds, then reverse the process!

#1470 6 years ago

Finally in the club!

20170730_202610 (resized).jpg20170730_202610 (resized).jpg

#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

The ghetto way would be incredibly easy: desolder the two leads from the speaker, and attach them to the two leads of a mono headphone jack. Record your sounds, then reverse the process!

The ghetto way sounds like a great way to fry something. I'm not an expert but I know enough not to plug an amplified signal into a mic jack without research.

#1472 6 years ago

Believe it or not, it really is simple and should not hurt anything. Heck, I'll do it and try for you. I've done it lots of times with other audio signals. However, if a real electronics expert wants to chime in, that will do, too!

#1473 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Believe it or not, it really is simple and should not hurt anything. Heck, I'll do it and try for you. I've done it lots of times with other audio signals. However, if a real electronics expert wants to chime in, that will do, too!

Look for something called an "attenuating patch cord". Knocks the signal level from speaker down to something more manageable like line level.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Look for something called an "attenuating patch cord". Knocks the signal level from speaker down to something more manageable like line level.

so something like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Shielded-Attenuating-Audio-cable/dp/B001THXU8C

The bad reviews appear to be due to product mislabeling. it has RCA on one end instead of a 1/8th jack. Not a problem since we are splicing one end. So I would splice this directly onto the speaker and then line in to whatever I use to record?

#1475 6 years ago

Yeah, the "proper" way is how to take care of it with a resistor, or, better, a variable resistor like this thing can do.

#1476 6 years ago

Different topic:
My firepower 2 is treating balls that fail to enter shooter lane (by bouncing off the right wall back into where it ejects from) as drains. Is this normal switch operation? Its incredibly frustrating.

#1477 6 years ago

Usually if you do not score it just kicks the ball back out without draining. When it does that do any points score? Possibly a switch is to close and the vibration scores a point and if treats it as a drain. If it does score, see how many points go up and check all the switches that score that amount of points.

#1478 6 years ago

For those that asked for copies of my Firepower scan, I am in the process of sending it now. My internet connection is really bad so it will take a while to upload. You should have it later this evening if things don't crash on me.

#1479 6 years ago

That went much faster than expected. It should be in the inboxes you provided shortly.

#1480 6 years ago

Thank you! Extremely helpful!

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Usually if you do not score it just kicks the ball back out without draining. When it does that do any points score? Possibly a switch is to close and the vibration scores a point and if treats it as a drain. If it does score, see how many points go up and check all the switches that score that amount of points.

It happens when I lock a ball. When it fails to kick out the second ball it drains me. I bent the metal tab and it hasn't failed to kick out since, but id still like to know if this is normal.

#1482 6 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

For those that asked for copies of my Firepower scan, I am in the process of sending it now. My internet connection is really bad so it will take a while to upload. You should have it later this evening if things don't crash on me.

Yes Thanks!

#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

so something like this?:
amazon.com link »
The bad reviews appear to be due to product mislabeling. it has RCA on one end instead of a 1/8th jack. Not a problem since we are splicing one end. So I would splice this directly onto the speaker and then line in to whatever I use to record?

Yes, but consider getting the appropriate connectors to hook it to, or clip leads. There are resistors in there somewhere, probably in one of the connectors. If you cut off the wrong connector, you defeat the purpose.

Side note: Phono is the correct term for the RCA plug. And the other end is a 1/8" phone. The reviewer didn't read closely. Phone describes the shape, not the size.

#1484 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I'll splice in the correct connector and plug in the cable.

#1485 6 years ago

There was so much interest in my scans I thought I'd post a good resource for other table scans. It is ...

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=18

This is a virtual pinball forum but has a pretty good collection of imagery that could be used for the real thing if used properly.

Hopefully this will help someone.

#1486 6 years ago

I successfully added speech to my Firepower 2 tonight! I love it!
In case anyone attempts this in the future...

I used a new speech board from pinballpcb (With original firepower roms):
http://www.pinballpcb.com/SpeechBoard.html
My sound board did not have the 40(?) pin connector but had the mounting holes for it. I asked the guys at pinballpcb if they carried those connectors and they included one with my order.
once I got the connector and speech board installed it didn't work, some research showed I needed to cut the W1 jumper (its actually a 0 ohm resistor)
Then I flipped switch #2 on top of the sound board and that enabled speech. (the one closer to the edge of the board)

Speech FP2 (resized).jpgSpeech FP2 (resized).jpg

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I successfully added speech to my Firepower 2 tonight! I love it!
In case anyone attempts this in the future...
I used a new speech board from pinballpcb (With original firepower roms):
http://www.pinballpcb.com/SpeechBoard.html
My sound board did not have the 40(?) pin connector but had the mounting holes for it. I asked the guys at pinballpcb if they carried those connectors and they included one with my order.
once I got the connector and speech board installed it didn't work, some research showed I needed to cut the W1 jumper (its actually a 0 ohm resistor)
Then I flipped switch #2 on top of the sound board and that enabled speech. (the one closer to the edge of the board)

Do the sounds and speech make sense during gameplay? I have always toyed with the idea, but never followed through. Can you post a quick video of gamplay?
Mike

#1488 6 years ago

Thanks for posting McSquid .

#1489 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Do the sounds and speech make sense during gameplay? I have always toyed with the idea, but never followed through. Can you post a quick video of gamplay?
Mike

They make enough sense to be worth it.
Says firepower when it starts. Says fire when you complete abcd or fir. Says power if you complete epo or wer. Says you win you destroyed firepower at game over, and says mission accomplished on high score. That's as far as I got. I'll take a video tomorrow

#1490 6 years ago

Good job getting the speech working. I added a new speech board awhile back and love it too. The speech does occasionally interrupt other cool sounds but is worth it overall. I posted a video on another thread when it was still set to 5 ball and had a switch it two that needed cleaning. Will wait to see your video, in which you ring the bonus carryover bell on ball 3 and get the extra game over bonus for maximum effect

#1491 6 years ago

That's pretty neat that you can do that. I wonder how the game knows to call for those sounds when certain conditions have been met if it was not originally equipped with voice.

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

That's pretty neat that you can do that. I wonder how the game knows to call for those sounds when certain conditions have been met if it was not originally equipped with voice.

Its because they simply reused and edited the code for firepower to make firepower 2. The original callouts for speech were left in because why remove them?

#1493 6 years ago

Simplicity at it's best. Why waste money re-editing the code?

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Simplicity at it's best. Why waste money re-editing the code?

Especially since they omitted the speech board to save money anyway.

#1495 6 years ago

Cpr playfield all finished. Playfield, plastics, coils, posts, targets, rails, pop bumpers, most light sockets all replaced.
Now comes the nervous part. Maybe I will plug it in.

IMG_3300 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPG
IMG_3299 (resized).JPGIMG_3299 (resized).JPG
IMG_3302 (resized).JPGIMG_3302 (resized).JPG

#1497 6 years ago

I can understand the anxiety...I haven't even finished restoring my spare play field, and I'm already nervous about repopulating it!

#1498 6 years ago

I shot this video tonight with speech added. I did not hit the extra game over bonus, or light 5x bonus or hit the extra ball ramp shot when lit either. Tough game at times but keeps you coming back for more. Also the speech at game over varies...

#1499 6 years ago

What lovely lighting -- what's your secret?
-mof

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What lovely lighting -- what's your secret?
-mof

It has color matched frosted LEDs for the inserts. White frosted LEDs for the GI except I put a blue and white under the slingshot plastics, red under the ABCD lane guides and a couple frosted color changers too. I'm not normally big on LEDs but this one already had a lot of them in place so I finished it up and really like it on this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/30?hl=hodgesm0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.