Topic Stats

• 3,687 posts
  • 306 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by RobertWinter
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 973 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7BE2536E-BDCB-4FD4-8125-E5E347F0ADFD (resized).jpeg
fp7digit3.jpg
fp7digit2.jpg
fp7digit1.jpg
display-sound-signal harness diagram copy (resized).png
IMG_20200707_114707189 (resized).jpg
D55A4805-FAD8-4822-8275-21EB5AA7A165 (resized).jpeg
4B71ADED-74A1-426D-B73D-461510530199 (resized).jpeg
A27170FA-E62A-43EE-B0A0-06C203F9AB99 (resized).jpeg
1C7E40C1-F566-4CB6-9E3F-4C179397FD4E (resized).jpeg
D8F05A8F-07D9-4D87-8488-C752C10E0DE6 (resized).jpeg
20200624_212009 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200624-164248_Chrome (resized).jpg
E204909B-E607-4407-A33A-388390A782DA (resized).jpeg
F5123C92-5421-4C77-962D-0BF53C9CF6BB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3687 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 74.
#1101 3 years ago

I just finished my high-voltage section upgrade. However, now that the displays are dimmer, I have noticed an issue with the player 4 display, consisting of the 1st and sometimes 2nd digit flickering. I tried reseating the contacts per Vid in his thread, but that did not work. I swapped the connector from one display to another, and that made the same glitch appear on the other display, so that rules out an issue with 4th player the display itself. That leaves the wiring harness or the master controller itself, or so I can at least figure. I suppose I will have to pull the master and look it over. Anyone have a similar issue before, and what was the cause?

#1102 3 years ago

Well, I fixed it...loose wires!

#1103 3 years ago

Ok I lifted a finger after my move. Now if I could just lift a few more I might get something done.

IMG_2597 (resized).JPG

#1104 3 years ago

BUT looked what followed me home.

IMG_2587 (resized).JPG

#1105 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

NICEEEE

#1106 3 years ago

SWEET...where'd you score that? How much?

#1107 3 years ago

Was that the gold from eBay?

#1108 3 years ago

I don't know where it came from. That's the best part, my girl got it.
I guess she got tired of me fretting over my original. She's gold alright.

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

BUT looked what followed me home.<
So jelly.

#1110 3 years ago

At least you don't need to worry now. By the way, you don't happen to have one of those flat scanners, do you?

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

At least you don't need to worry now. By the way, you don't happen to have one of those flat scanners, do you?

No but if someone near Greensboro does it's available for a little while anyways.

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Very nice! Not that we are special or anything, but knowing there's only 250 of these out in the wild, it's kinda cool to own one! Yes, I know, all those traditionalists won't agree.

I'm guessing she must have scored it on Ebay ($1211! Nice wife/girlfriend/significant other!) unless she had some other connection!

Good luck with the swap, take lots and lots of pictures as you go! I have quite a few if you bugger something up!

#1113 3 years ago

was redoing the switch diodes on my fire power and got to the pop bumpers and noticed 2 of them have the 2 diodes going opposite each other and 2 going the same? can someone look on there game and check these?
thanks

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Very nice! Not that we are special or anything, but knowing there's only 250 of these out in the wild, it's kinda cool to own one! Yes, I know, all those traditionalists won't agree.
I'm guessing she must have scored it on Ebay ($1211! Nice wife/girlfriend/significant other!) unless she had some other connection!
Good luck with the swap, take lots and lots of pictures as you go! I have quite a few if you bugger something up!

That's just the tip of the iceberg with her. Except for a few migraines she can't control she's PERFECT.

I actually will have a few questions. There are 2 wire hacks under the playfield and will need a couple pictures. There were a couple of burnt coils and no boards when I got the game.

This won't be my first CPR and I have a really big card in my camera.

#1115 3 years ago

Let me know what/where you need, and I'll be happy to help out.

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I actually will have a few questions.

No problem. I will help you out any way that I can, just tell me what you're looking for!

#1117 3 years ago

need some photos of under the play field of the 4 pop bumper areas
thanks

#1118 3 years ago

21988 (resized).jpeg

#1119 3 years ago

21989 (resized).jpeg

21987 (resized).jpeg

#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

thanks

I'm on call at the hospital tomorrow...if you can wait till Sunday, I'll take pictures of that area, and anything else you want.

#1121 3 years ago

By the way, in case anyone is interested, my rejuvenation/restoration is taking place in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-portas-firepower-rejuvenation

This way I don't get in the way of the excitement in this one!

#1122 3 years ago

Anyone want a decrepit backglass for cheap?

ebay.com link » Williams Firepower Pinball Backglass

#1123 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

thanks

IMG_20170203_215349 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170203_215401 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170203_215408 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, the bourbon didn't help me figure out what you wanted a picture of... Or my camera skills.

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

That's a pretty nasty area under the playfield. setzkor did a good job but it would be better if you were more specific about what you are after.

#1125 3 years ago

thank you guys, yes I'm just trying to see if all the pop switches have resistors on them? which i believe they should, also does anyone know the value of resistor need for this area?

#1126 3 years ago

I have my firepower apart for a complete top to bottom resto. Fun times! The resistors are 100 ohm on the pops.

IMG_4060 (resized).JPG

#1127 3 years ago

If you need any more in-depth info on that, I have the original wiring/board layout schematic book with values and such. If you ever need a scan of a certain part, I can certainly supply that, too.

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

If you need any more in-depth info on that, I have the original wiring/board layout schematic book with values and such. If you ever need a scan of a certain part, I can certainly supply that, too.

thanks so much guys, was hoping you could check the book and tell me what other switches on the playfeild should have resistors? i know the 4 pops, and the 2 slings, there are drops in the center of this one so none there but maybe the power targets? and possibly the center target just below the fire lanes?
thanks again.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

was hoping you could check the book

Schematics can be found here - http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Schematics_paginated_from_manual_dated_March_1980.pdf

Tons of info here including technical - http://www.firepowerpinball.com/

I think this stuff has probably been posted in this thread 100 times!

#1130 3 years ago

To make it simpler, here is the part you want:
Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 6.27.26 PM (resized).png
it looks like they should indeed all have resistors.

#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

there are drops in the center of this one

You got drop targets? And you didn't install them? Post some pictures, top and bottom! I know a few guys have put in drops. I wonder if this might be a prototype or one someone modded?

#1132 3 years ago

I checked my wiring harness and I have resistors on the four pop bumper switch stacks and both of the kickers. No other switches have resistors.

#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

You got drop targets? And you didn't install them? Post some pictures, top and bottom! I know a few guys have put in drops. I wonder if this might be a prototype or one someone modded?

its a cpr play field i will post some photos when its back in the game, i have it out, looking for an issue that keeps randomly burning switch rows, so I'm replacing all the diodes and resistors, to eliminate those from the equation, just wanted to make sure nothing is missing.

#1134 3 years ago

I just wanted to share here a playfield swap I recently performed.
I bought a cheap used playfield which was in a much better condition than my previous beat up one.

Old washed out and beat up playfield with wrong Gottlieb flippers:
P1020579 (resized).JPG
Finished work with playfield protector and brand new flipper assembly:
WP_20170111_16_03_18_Pro (resized).jpg

I noticed that the left inlane insert on the new (old) playfield is white instead of blue. Does anyone know if it has any significance or is it just washed out ?
WP_20170205_14_16_18_Pro (resized).jpg

#1135 3 years ago

Good choice with the PF protector

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from firepawa:

I noticed that the left inlane insert on the new (old) playfield is white instead of blue.

They are supposed to be blue. They match the "Power" side of the game (the hotdog and the 3 standup targets on the right).

It's probably just faded.

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

its a cpr play field i will post some photos when its back in the game, i have it out, looking for an issue that keeps randomly burning switch rows, so I'm replacing all the diodes and resistors, to eliminate those from the equation, just wanted to make sure nothing is missing.

Don't know what you mean by "burning switch rows", but those resistors won't stop the machine from functioning. They're there to suppress the arcing caused by high current switching and extend the life of the contacts. Only switches that directly control solenoids would need them. Switches that report back to the cpu have diodes.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Don't know what you mean by "burning switch rows", but those resistors won't stop the machine from functioning. They're there to suppress the arcing caused by high current switching and extend the life of the contacts. Only switches that directly control solenoids would need them. Switches that report back to the cpu have diodes.

i keep randomly frying switch rows on the driver board, and my guy that repairs my boards said to try replacing all the switch diodes. well someone has defiantly been into this play field before and i was trying to see if there are other switches that should have resistors that might be missing on this game, other than the pops and the slings.

#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

i keep randomly frying switch rows on the driver board,

I just went through this on a Firepower I restored. I solved it as an apparent lane change short, but it was NOT as obvious as most of those supposedly are. You might find insight in my hair pulling thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-no-i-really-am-at-the-end-of-my-rope-help

#1140 3 years ago

Ok so here is what I found: some have resistors, some don't. At least on mine, sometimes it's not even consistent (as far as I can tell, don't check against schematics:

Here is a photo of the switch of one of my pop bumpers:IMG_3479 (resized).JPG

You can see not only a diode and resistor, but small capacitor as well (split between both switches). Here is another, same deal: IMG_3480 (resized).JPG

The switch for the left ball kicker has only a diode: IMG_3482 (resized).JPG

The switch for the ball feeder has just a diode: IMG_3488 (resized).JPG

The targets 1-6 clearly seen here have only a diode: IMG_3311 (resized).JPG

I hope that this helps. IF you need more specific ones, let me know.

#1141 3 years ago

thanks so much, could you check the 3 power targets?

#1142 3 years ago

All switch matrix contacts have diodes.The three "power" stand up targets
should have 1N4004 diodes on them.
---
Note: Williams system 3...system7 games have 6 direct input lines
that drive 6 output transistors. Firepower uses all 6
(4 pop bumpers and 2 slingshots).
The resistor/capacitor is for the input lines to the IC's.
The capacitor "bleeds down" the line along with the resistor.
Without it, the solenoids would act intermittent.

#1143 3 years ago

Slings and pops have 2 sets of switches. One that activates the item and the other to score the hit.

The switches with the capacitor and resistor activate the item through the special solenoid circuits on the driver board. The CPU is not aware or involved with activating the pops or slings during normal game play through these switches. The CPU of these early machines are not fast enough to register the switch hit and activate the solenoid and give a good action on the ball. Additionally, if the CPU was busy (for example sending a sound command to the sound card or scoring other switch hits) just before hitting the slings or pops the solenoid action could be very late to the point where the ball has long bounced away from the item. The capacitor and resistor allow for a more complete solenoid activation by electrically holding the switch closed for an additional fraction of a second. Often you will find one lead on the capacitor cut as they typically shorted when they aged and would cause the solenoid to lock on. These are electrolytic capacitors no different than those found on the power supply and sound boards, etc. To bullet proof the machine, they should be replaced with fresh 22 uf 50V caps.

The switches with the diodes are the scoring switches in the switch matrix. These are common all over the machine and are used by the CPU to score points and/or activate rules like alternating the lit pop with the higher bonus.

#1144 3 years ago

appreciated, Schwaggs! I didn't know they were there, but while taking the photos I was thinking "hmm...these should probably be changed, too..."

#1145 3 years ago

thanks a lot for the info, the game I'm working on has the diodes, resistors but no capacitors on the pops, it has always worked fine up until now, should i add them and are the resistors and capacitors directional like the diodes?

#1146 3 years ago

Capacitors are directional they are electrolytic.

#1147 3 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm looking for all the warning/shop out labels that sit inside of the headbox for my firepower.

I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find them.

I'm in need of.......The 'for this game' decal, danger/high voltage decal, master command label and fuse panel location decal.

Now before you ask, I am totally hopeless with computers, especially recreating artwork.

Has anyone reproduced the artwork themselves that is happy and willing to share?

Does anyone know where and if available for purchase?

I am able to print them, that I can do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time....

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from Groucho:

Hi guys,
I'm looking for all the warning/shop out labels that sit inside of the headbox for my firepower.
I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find them.
I'm in need of.......The 'for this game' decal, danger/high voltage decal, master command label and fuse panel location decal.
Now before you ask, I am totally hopeless with computers, especially recreating artwork.
Has anyone reproduced the artwork themselves that is happy and willing to share?
Does anyone know where and if available for purchase?
I am able to print them, that I can do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time....

Add me to the list. I have looked high and low and can't find those stickers anywhere.

#1149 3 years ago

Shouldn't be an impossible task. Perhaps I could make some, with time...

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from Groucho:

I'm looking for all the warning/shop out labels that sit inside of the headbox for my firepowe

Have a look through Peter's website. He's done lots of label work...

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 11.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
There are 3687 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside