Topic Stats

• 3,682 posts
  • 305 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 minutes ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 973 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7BE2536E-BDCB-4FD4-8125-E5E347F0ADFD (resized).jpeg
fp7digit3.jpg
fp7digit2.jpg
fp7digit1.jpg
display-sound-signal harness diagram copy (resized).png
IMG_20200707_114707189 (resized).jpg
D55A4805-FAD8-4822-8275-21EB5AA7A165 (resized).jpeg
4B71ADED-74A1-426D-B73D-461510530199 (resized).jpeg
A27170FA-E62A-43EE-B0A0-06C203F9AB99 (resized).jpeg
1C7E40C1-F566-4CB6-9E3F-4C179397FD4E (resized).jpeg
D8F05A8F-07D9-4D87-8488-C752C10E0DE6 (resized).jpeg
20200624_212009 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200624-164248_Chrome (resized).jpg
E204909B-E607-4407-A33A-388390A782DA (resized).jpeg
F5123C92-5421-4C77-962D-0BF53C9CF6BB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 3682 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 74.
#901 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

You know you can get a repro backglass from Mayfair Amusements in New York right? Apparently they were made by Williams in the 80s or 90s. I picked one up a while back. The colours aren't 100% the same as the original but it looks really nice particularly when you put coloured LEDs in the right spots in the back box. Not cheap for someone in Canada but my game has a CPR playfield and plastics so it only made sense to get a nice backglass for it!
Check this post for a picture:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/15#post-3184173

Yes and I have mayfairs in both my Gorgar and black knight and they are perfect. I saw the colors are off on firepower a little and actually I kind of like the yellower look. I am into the middle of the machine (the back box is still in the floor) and I have plenty to do before I start ocd'ing on the glass. Give it a few months. Any idea on current price on the mayfairs?

#902 3 years ago

Forgot to say I might kill for a new CPR playfield right now. Mine is decent and could be nice but will take some work.

#903 3 years ago

I am going to be getting a LED kit from Cointaker for my Firepower. For the guys who have LEDs in your Firepower..... are there any particular colors you like in certain areas that really helped it look good? Thanks

#904 3 years ago

Can anyone that has upgraded flipper mechs to the modern ones upload a picture of the wiring of both flippers? I have 2 playfields and neither had flippers intact.

#905 3 years ago

I just installed a pf protector i got last week. I couldnt be happier with it. My cupped/raised inserts are no longer an issue, plays fast and smoooooth. Plus it looks fantastic!

Here's a few pics...shiney!

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#906 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I just installed a pf protector i got last week. I couldnt be happier with it. My cupped/raised inserts are no longer an issue, plays fast and smoooooth. Plus it looks fantastic!

How does the ball roll on it?

#907 3 years ago

He said fast and smoooooth

#908 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

How does the ball roll on it?

Def different, there is no sound of the ball rolling anymore. It plays just as fast as before but now i dont get mis-directs off cupped/raised inserts. I can make all locks easy peasy which was my biggest worry.

#909 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I just installed a pf protector i got last week.

I think I may go that route. It looks good. By the way, you should have a 3/4" rubber on those posts to the left of your pops.

#910 3 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

How many could use a new set of plastics for their FP?

I'd be in for new plastics. I've got a CPR playfield and a Mayfair translite all in storage waiting for the restore. Just need to stop working overseas!

#911 3 years ago

Ok, and thanks . where can we get red bats with the Williams w ?

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Any idea on current price on the mayfairs?

I paid $300 USD for it with the trim kit about a year ago. I think it was a bit of a deal because we bought 3 different backglasses at the same time. With the right LEDs in the back box you can do some cool things. I used a combination of red, orange and white under the title so it looks like it fades towards the edges.

#913 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I paid $300 USD for it with the trim kit about a year ago. I think it was a bit of a deal because we bought 3 different backglasses at the same time. With the right LEDs in the back box you can do some cool things. I used a combination of red, orange and white under the title so it looks like it fades towards the edges.

Thanks.

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from mtmellum:

Ok, and thanks . where can we get red bats with the Williams w ?

please check the full quoted post..it is about the rubber color not the bats

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

please check the full quoted post..it is about the rubber color not the bats

Thank you for the kindness WD!

#916 3 years ago

How do you order from Mayfair? It looks like their website is down. Anyone know if they are still selling backglasses?

#917 3 years ago

I'm curious about the protector: who makes it? What is it made out of? How is it mounted to the play field?

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

How do you order from Mayfair? It looks like their website is down. Anyone know if they are still selling backglasses?

I just went to their site. Mayfair amusements. I would link but I am on my phone.

#919 3 years ago

image (resized).png

#920 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

You need to call or email.
Last I checked, they still had FP backglasses. About a year or so ago.

#921 3 years ago

This is some kind of joke right? I typed in mayfairamusement.com and got this site:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 4.13.20 PM (resized).png

Then on mobile, click on "Backglass" and I get this:

IMG_3380 (resized).PNG

#922 3 years ago

The original is legit, I've been on their site and it works for me.

#923 3 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I'm curious about the protector: who makes it? What is it made out of? How is it mounted to the play field?

Check out thier website:

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

They just lay flat on the pf, no physical mounting of any kind.

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Can anyone that has upgraded flipper mechs to the modern ones upload a picture of the wiring of both flippers? I have 2 playfields and neither had flippers intact.

I did the fliptronic upgrade (check out vid's thread on that) and the ball speed is absolutely killer now. Hope these pics help.

20160926_193246 (resized).jpg

20160926_193201 (resized).jpg

#925 3 years ago

I don't have the Firepower manual yet. Can someone tell me how to get a credit on the game? I have 3 balls in the trough and I think it's ready to go. I haven't heard any sounds yet.

#926 3 years ago

Coin switch would be the easiest.

#927 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Thanks for the review on the Firepower protector, cupped inserts are a big problem with my Firepower with the 1-20 cupped inserts in particular affecting the ball trajectory significantly causing a drain. I was hoping the protector would help this as an alternative to removing all the inserts & filling/sanding them ect.

Mata Hari is another game with a similar frustrating problem with the bonus inserts.

#928 3 years ago

Still looking for a backglass in any condition in the New England area. The game is a player so anything is better than nothing. If it cleans up nice I'll get a repro but I need anything right now.

#929 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I don't have the Firepower manual yet. Can someone tell me how to get a credit on the game? I have 3 balls in the trough and I think it's ready to go. I haven't heard any sounds yet.

Goto menu and scroll to 18. Use the credit button and set value to 0. That free play.

#930 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

This is some kind of joke right? I typed in mayfairamusement.com and got this site:

Just email Steve at TheMayfair@aol.com. The website is a bit wonky and I don't think it is still active. There's a way to get to but I can't remember what the exact URL is. He will answer you fairly quickly and yes, he is legit.

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Just email Steve at TheMayfair@aol.com. The website is a bit wonky and I don't think it is still active. There's a way to get to but I can't remember what the exact URL is. He will answer you fairly quickly and yes, he is legit.

This^^^^
Steve is definitely legit. Got my BG from him a few years ago and he was great!!!

#932 3 years ago

Yeah I emailed him earlier as I saw the email address in the screenshot and he got back to me pretty quickly. However the price of the BG, trim, and shipping is $400!! Seems a little too rich for my blood.

In the meantime, I was able to clean the rest of the playfield this evening. As you can see the playfield is a bit of a beater and needs some touch up work at the very least after a good cleaning.

image (resized).jpeg

I used some gold ol' Novus 2, Bar Keepers Friend, and Simple Green on the playfield and various parts and it actually did a decent job. Or Vid's favorite, "I waxed it with Novus 2." More pics mid shop:

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

Once I was satisfied with the work of the Novus and it was looking pretty good, I put a real coat of wax down which actually really made it pop. I assumed it would but it's actually shinier than I thought it would be. You can really see the shininess. (Some of the plastics are missing from the picture because they look like bacon. So I left them off to attempt to flatten them back out in the oven tomorrow, at a low heat of course. Oh, and no rubber yet as I still need to get the kit. I was waiting for my dad to get back in town to see if he needed anything before I ordered it.)

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll touch up the areas where the paint cracked but that's for another day. I also need to figure out what to do with the inserts...

I need to get to work on the boards next. Game won't boot so I'll need to figure out what's wrong with it.

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Then on mobile, click on "Backglass" and I get this:

http://www.mayfairamusement.com/

Works for me...

#934 3 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Goto menu and scroll to 18. Use the credit button and set value to 0. That free play.

Do I put the upper left display to 18? With the right red button & leave it & use the credit button to put 00 on the lower left display?

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Yeah I emailed him earlier as I saw the email address in the screenshot and he got back to me pretty quickly. However the price of the BG, trim, and shipping is $400!! Seems a little too rich for my blood.

Not sure where you are located but I arranged to have someone pick up my back glass from a show that Steve was at. That saved me the shipping costs. You can always pick it up from him in NYC if you are ever visiting...

#936 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Since we're talking about new plastics & playfields..... how would you touch up these bad spots? A pinball guy about 2 hours from me could make it look good for $300 but if I could get a close match or if someone may be making a new pf.... that would be great.
I was thinking about contacting a local art student and see if somebody there would be interested in doing something.

Ha!! $300 for touch up?? That's insane. I'd do a complete touch up, level the play field and do 6 coats of 2k clear for $300.

#937 3 years ago

When I click on the link, I get the bad site. Leave off the "www.", and I get to the real deal. Go figure.

#938 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Do I put the upper left display to 18? With the right red button & leave it & use the credit button to put 00 on the lower left display?

The ball display (right) should be on 18. Then player 1, that needs to be set to 00. Make sure that the white coin door switch is working (sticking out) Mine tends to get stuck..

#939 3 years ago

Ok thanks! We're at a Blues Traveler concert now... between bands. 1st group G Love & Special Sauce. I'll try it when we get home.

20160927_191208 (resized).jpg

#940 3 years ago

Looks like a nice night...

Because the batteries in my Firepower do not work, I need to do this for every power up.

1. Power Up
2. Open coin door.
3. Set to free play
4. Quickly turn off and on pin

firepower free play (resized).jpg

#941 3 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Because the batteries in my Firepower do not work, I need to do this for every power up.

you could always just fit the battery...

#942 3 years ago

Or instead of turning off and on again, just cycle to the end of the test mode and let it go through the boot up sequence.

#943 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Or instead of turning off and on again, just cycle to the end of the test mode and let it go through the boot up sequence.

Ok... sorry for being a huge novice on system 6 but how do you cycle to the end? When I turn off & on... nothing happen when the credit button is pressed... I can hear a faint sounding click.

#944 3 years ago

Well to be honest I haven't been able to get to the test mode on my Firepower yet. The boards were so badly damaged that I still have work to do on it. But on all the old games of the same era that I've ever gone into test mode with, you can simply keep pressing the test or advance button to finish back to the boot sequence.

For example, when you go into test mode to get to the free play settings, you have to get to #18. So you have to keep pressing the advance button 18 times to get to #18 in the menu. Usually there are about 20+ settings or so to cycle through. When you've made your necessary adjustments, keep pressing advance. You should eventually get to where all the displays go out. This should signify you've reached the boot sequence and the game should start back up and be on free play. No more need to turn the game off and on again. (And again, this is on all the other games I've had experiences with, and perhaps Firepower is different. But I'm willing to bet with about 90% certainty it's the same.)

Can you add credits to it by manually pressing on the coin switch?

*Edit: after consulting the manual it says to "Turn game OFF and back ON to return to game over mode." Really I think either way should work just fine, either turning off and on, or cycling all the way through. Also the manual shows 35 settings to be precise, instead of my original statement of "about 20+".

#945 3 years ago

And as far as batteries go, you could put in a NVRAM and never have to worry about batteries again. At least I think this game is compatible. No more messing with batteries and the settings are saved indefinitely until you change anything.

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Mata Hari is another game with a similar frustrating problem with the bonus inserts.

Know what you mean... I fixed it in my Mata Hara with a CPR playfield! Wow, those are nice.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#947 3 years ago

I set it up for free play but nothing happens. I have 3 balls in the trough. No sounds etc if I press credit button. The only action is if I put a ball between flippers... it will kick to trough.

#948 3 years ago

Could be a connector issue on the board. Or maybe an issue where the boards interlock. Have you rebuilt the interlocking connectors on both boards? If not, it might be good maintenance to do anyways as those connectors are always suspect if they haven't ever been redone.

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

it will kick to trough.

Common issue with system 7 games.

Do us a favor, and kindly please start your own tech thread so those of us who will help you solve this -- can easily see the whole conversation in one thread.

-mof

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

And as far as batteries go, you could put in a NVRAM and never have to worry about batteries again.

Yup, you can. Lucky for me my game already had a socket soldered in so it was plug and play. Barakandl sells what you need, check his site here - http://nvram.weebly.com/. Works great!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 399.95
$ 22.50
$ 279.95
$ 199.99
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
There are 3682 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside