IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
20240331_125530 (resized).jpg
IMG_7728 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7727 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7644242_1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20240317_201138 (resized).jpg
There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 94.
#801 7 years ago

I am still looking for a firepower playfield that is in decent shape or a reproduction playfield. Darn they are really hard to find. If someone has one for sale or knows where I might find one please shoot me a message.

Thanks

#802 7 years ago

I'm sure some of you might be looking for the CPR repro plastics set. I know they are hard to find as well. Apparently you can get them from Best of Pinball in Germany.

Here's the link: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/10848/session/true

My set is on the way. I will post again when they arrive.

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I'm sure some of you might be looking for the CPR repro plastics set. I know they are hard to find as well. Apparently you can get them from Best of Pinball in Germany.
Here's the link: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/10848/session/true
My set is on the way. I will post again when they arrive.

Looks like I got the last one.

#804 7 years ago

Just joined this prestigious club. Picked up a barn find last night and it's pretty rough. But I'm looking forward to getting it back to it's glory days.

#805 7 years ago

Let's see it!

#806 7 years ago

In my giddiness last night I forgot to take pics of the full game. But here it is in the back of the car, and some board shots. Cleaned up the boards with a little vinegar to neutralize the battery acid. Will need to repin and resolder all the cold solder joints. I won't even get started on what else it needs, I'm trying to take it one step at a time.

FullSizeRender_(1)_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_(1)_(resized).jpg

FullSizeRender_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_(resized).jpg

IMG_3212_(resized).JPGIMG_3212_(resized).JPG

IMG_3215_(resized).JPGIMG_3215_(resized).JPG

#807 7 years ago

Is Firepower a machine where it would be easy to take the back box off or does it bend over on a hinge with a bunch of wires attached?

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Is Firepower a machine where it would be easy to take the back box off or does it bend over on a hinge with a bunch of wires attached?

You can unplug some connectors, remove the 4 head bolts and separate the back box off from the rest of the machine.

#809 7 years ago

I've moved my Firepower at least 10 times (shows and moving to a new house) since I've owned it. I always remove the back box when moving it.

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

You can unplug some connectors, remove the 4 head bolts and separate the back box off from the rest of the machine.

Yes... it does not hinge forward like newer games. But it's only about 5-7 harnesses to unplug.
Once the 4 bolts are removed (if all four are even being utilized)... you need to bring the head forward about an inch, to slip the back bracket away from the flange mounted to the base. Then list the head off.

FP_lip_(resized).jpgFP_lip_(resized).jpg

#811 7 years ago

That flange also makes it tons easier reattaching the back box.

#812 7 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

That flange also makes it tons easier reattaching the back box.

Agreed. Assuming the previous owners didn't bend/crush it out of alignment, by remounting the head incorrectly.

#813 7 years ago

You guys are the best! Thank you very much.

Just 2 weeks until we head down to Kansas City MO for a family reunion & pick up the Firepower and F-14 Tomcat. Should be a fun road trip which we haven't done in a long time.

#814 7 years ago

Also very easy to pull the playfield, which makes moving the cabinet much easier

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Also very easy to pull the playfield, which makes moving the cabinet much easier

If I pull the head and playfield I can move the game upstairs by myself no problem.

IMG_1783_(resized).JPGIMG_1783_(resized).JPG

IMG_1784_(resized).JPGIMG_1784_(resized).JPG

#816 7 years ago

If I want to LED my game, does it require any newer lamp driver boards, or anything like that? Or are these Williams ready to go as is? I know the older Bally's require a new Alltek board, so not sure about these.

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

If I want to LED my game, does it require any newer lamp driver boards, or anything like that? Or are these Williams ready to go as is? I know the older Bally's require a new Alltek board, so not sure about these.

No new boards, but for mine at least, a lot of the controlled lamps required non-ghosting bulbs. And for the 89 flashers you will need to clip the warming resistor...

#818 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Looks like I got the last one.

Be prepared for some disappointment. I just received my set and the seller removed the extra sling, target and 1000 point covers along with a couple of the key fobs. You will end up with 22 of the 29 original CPR pieces and the topper. I was curious how they were selling those items separately on their site. Now I know. I'm a bit pissed off. I will be sending them an email but I'm sure they won't do anything about it.

Be careful when you order from Best of Pinball in Germany...

#819 7 years ago

Any word on getting those pop bumper caps?

Quoted from Travish:

Ordered some and got a tracking number. Will have them in another day or so.

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Any word on getting those pop bumper caps?

Yes they came in. Much better than my originals but could use the red ink to be darker.

#821 7 years ago

I need a Firepower backglass. The game is a project so I don't want anything fancy. As of now it has nothing so even a terrible backglass would be ok. If the game cleans up nicely maybe I'll consider a repro but for now anything is better than nothing.

#822 7 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I need a Firepower backglass. The game is a project so I don't want anything fancy. As of now it has nothing so even a terrible backglass would be ok. If the game cleans up nicely maybe I'll consider a repro but for now anything is better than nothing.

Wish you were closer. I have one that's a little beat up.

#823 7 years ago

Very easy, just disco connectors. A lot easier than Bally pins of same era.

Quoted from scampcamp:

#824 7 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I've experienced this issue when the switches in the ball trough aren't set properly.
I've adjusted the switches and replaced one but I'll try again. Weird it only happens on balls 3-5.

As an update: I rebuilt the ball 2 switch with new blades because it suffered from the infamous backwards leaf switch syndrome and all is back to normal. As a reminder to all including myself, check all of your leaf switches to make sure the rivets have the correct orientation!

#825 7 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

As an update: I rebuilt the ball 2 switch with new blades because it suffered from the infamous backwards leaf switch syndrome and all is back to normal. As a reminder to all including myself, check all of your leaf switches to make sure the rivets have the correct orientation!

A lot of times you can take apart the switch stack and correct the contacts and be fine. If you still have issues go ahead and replace switch.

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

A lot of times you can take apart the switch stack and correct the contacts and be fine. If you still have issues go ahead and replace switch.

I could've but there was a lot of wear on on the leaf opposing the rivet so I figured I'd start fresh. Thanks for replying.

#827 7 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I could've but there was a lot of wear on on the leaf opposing the rivet so I figured I'd start fresh. Thanks for replying.

I guess stern wasn't the only ones with awesome QC. I am amazed how many of those switches went out in so many games.

#828 7 years ago

I thought I might put up a few pictures here and there in this thread of progress on my project game. There are a million full restoration threads but I am just turning a well worn routed machine into a nice player.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#829 7 years ago

Any and all restorations are unique processes...you might happen upon something no one else has. Pictures are also awesome to look at!

#830 7 years ago

I'm looking for a nice FP, if anyone has a lead please PM me.

Thanks

#831 7 years ago

Has anyone considered modding their game and putting a spinner on the right side of the playfield. You can see what I'm thinking from the picture.

second_spinner (resized).jpgsecond_spinner (resized).jpg

I know it would be missing the red arrow but you could wire it into the spinner on the other side of the playfield so that they would score the same and they would have the same sound effects. If I could do this without drilling a hole in my playfield, I would consider it. I'm going to do some research and see if there is some way to use an optical sensor where you could run the wires through an existing hole in the playfield rather than the typical mechanical switch.

I think the spinner shot is one of the best shots in the game other than locking the third ball to start multi-ball. Every time i make the right hand shot to the top of the playfield I feel like I'm missing something.

I'd love to hear opinions. And yes, I'm not a traditionalist so I don't mind putting some mods into the game!

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I'd love to hear opinions. And yes, I'm not a traditionalist so I don't mind putting some mods into the game!

PM Cheddar -- he tried to add a spinner to Centaur. I don't remember the outcome.
I am very interested in trying this out if you come up with the right shape/style to accomplish it.
-mof

#833 7 years ago

What a great idea!
Wiring - would you somehow combine with existing spinner?

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

What a great idea!

I see you have a F-14 & a Firepower. We're on a long road trip as I type this to pick up those actual games. What are the odds?

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

PM Cheddar -- he tried to add a spinner to Centaur. I don't remember the outcome.
I am very interested in trying this out if you come up with the right shape/style to accomplish it.
-mof

I will check in with him.

Quoted from Jumping-Box:

What a great idea!

That was my plan, shouldn't be too hard.

The ultimate goal is to try and do this without putting any holes in the playfield or screwing up any of the plastics. I've already made some minor mods to my game (lit lock holes, post flashers wired to slings and pop bumpers, lit flipper buttons and start button, relocation of a couple of GI bulbs) but everything is reversible.

I'll see if I can come up with something...

#837 7 years ago

Question.

Should there be a wire ball guide on the right edge of the left ball lock?

Mof

20160902_001741 (resized).jpg20160902_001741 (resized).jpg

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

If I could do this without drilling a hole in my playfield, I would consider it.

Stock spinners of this era have a hole through the playfield with a leaf switch below. Modern games have a micro switch on the spinner bracket above the playfield that should work. You will have access holes to run wires under the plastics on either side. The trick will be finding a spinner and bracket that wide. STTNG's spinner may be that wide.

#839 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Stock spinners of this era have a hole through the playfield with a leaf switch below. Modern games have a micro switch on the spinner bracket above the playfield that should work. You will have access holes to run wires under the plastics on either side. The trick will be finding a spinner and bracket that wide. STTNG's spinner may be that wide.

That would be perfect! Time to go searching. I think one of the following two locations would be better except that the spinner will be activated every time you launch a ball. Not the end of the world. These two give me some more flexibility but I have to be careful with height.

second_spinner2 (resized).jpgsecond_spinner2 (resized).jpg

Actually just found this on Marco. This would definitely do the trick but I think it needs to be wider. At least now I know what I'm trying to build and I can buy the parts individually! The single sided mount makes it easier to install but I wonder how stable that would be. Hmmmm....

second_spinner_marco (resized).jpgsecond_spinner_marco (resized).jpg

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Actually just found this on Marco. This would definitely do the trick but I think it needs to be wider. At least now I know what I'm trying to build and I can buy the parts individually! The single sided mount makes it easier to install but I wonder how stable that would be. Hmmmm....

Problem with that one is you need to screw 2 holes into the playfield (against one of your goals).

This is more like the bracket I was thinking about. Of course, some assembly is required with this one.... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-8370-01

#841 7 years ago

Just drill one hidden hole behind the post in front, then put this one UNDER that post. Hopefully where the ball strikes the post raised 1/16" won't cause any issues. Might have to fatten the rubber a hair. I can't see not trying this out.
-mof

#842 7 years ago

(quick question) scroll up a few posts, I added a pic -- should there be a wire ball guide where those two pre-made holes are on that CPR playfield?

-mof

#843 7 years ago

Please link the marco version of the spinner above (first one)
-mof

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

(quick question) scroll up a few posts, I added a pic -- should there be a wire ball guide where those two pre-made holes are on that CPR playfield?
-mof

I just checked my original and there are 2 holes in the playfiled but no wire. Can't tell for sure if there ever was a wire in the holes.

Anyone else?

#845 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Please link the marco version of the spinner above (first one)
-mof

I think this is the one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-5113-00

#846 7 years ago

removed.... bad idea

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Question.
Mof

I don't have one there.

#848 7 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I don't have one there.

thanks fellas, next question...

Has anyone adjusted anything left ball lock to make the ball lock better?

I have great luck with top right lock, but haven't tried taking a movie of bottom left and watching it in slo-mo to learn why some balls don't lock.

-mof

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I see you have a F-14 & a Firepower. We're on a long road trip as I type this to pick up those actual games. What are the odds?

Good luck with pick up. I think they are a good combo, different personalities. I want to find a BK2, then I'll be complete.

#850 7 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Question.
Mof
I don't have one there.

I don't have one at the lower lock or at the upper middle right lock but I do have the holes. I wonder if they got lost along the way or were just not installed from the factory as a cost-cutting measure.

Quoted from mof:I have great luck with top right lock

Ha! I can't get this shot regularly at all and have been trying to figure out why. Sometimes it hits the lock but most times it just falls away. I've tried leveling, bending the metal guides, did a full flipper rebuild per the Vid thread, adjusted the spinner endlessly all to no avail. I've given up on it. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 22.50
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 4,689 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.