Topic Stats

• 3,661 posts
  • 305 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Robotworkshop
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 968 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200707_114707189 (resized).jpg
D55A4805-FAD8-4822-8275-21EB5AA7A165 (resized).jpeg
4B71ADED-74A1-426D-B73D-461510530199 (resized).jpeg
A27170FA-E62A-43EE-B0A0-06C203F9AB99 (resized).jpeg
1C7E40C1-F566-4CB6-9E3F-4C179397FD4E (resized).jpeg
D8F05A8F-07D9-4D87-8488-C752C10E0DE6 (resized).jpeg
20200624_212009 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200624-164248_Chrome (resized).jpg
E204909B-E607-4407-A33A-388390A782DA (resized).jpeg
F5123C92-5421-4C77-962D-0BF53C9CF6BB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
955D3845-F95B-40AE-AD3A-D964E3197B1C (resized).jpeg
20200621_112414 (resized).jpg
960D948A-C0A8-4A17-BCDD-9535D01EFF98.gif
20200520_171539 (resized).jpg
E0CF3423-D04F-426E-B803-52F67A9C69A6 (resized).jpeg

There are 3661 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 74.
#451 4 years ago

I'm wondering what this 10-pt switch should look like:

http://pinball.flippers.info/firepowerdroptargets/

Will I have to craft it by hand?

-mof

#452 4 years ago

Had my Firepower at York the last two days - it got a bunch of plays and ran trouble-free throughout the show... once I got the correct leg on it. I had the 3D printed outlane guides installed - one metal and one plastic. Machine is back in my basement gameroom but not set up but I'm confident it survived the ride home in the trailer. Hope some Pinsiders got to play it!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams 3-7 sound board solutions

#453 4 years ago

Will I have to craft it by hand?
-mof

Nope. Standard sling switch works.

1 week later
#454 4 years ago

Does anyone have a right side 4-5-6 switch cover laying around that they would be willing to sale?

image.jpeg

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I finally upgraded my rings to Titan silicon. I also created a kit in their database on the website for easy ordering. All of my other games are converted and I absolutely love them!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks good, I was thinking of doing the same. Is that cool white GI? I usually use bulbs for GI, but it might work with the space theme. Have any full playfield pictures?

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Looks good, I was thinking of doing the same. Is that cool white GI? I usually use bulbs for GI, but it might work with the space theme. Have any full playfield pictures?

Yes it's mostly cool white LEDs. The top lanes have red to match the lane guides and the rest are just clear single cool whites I had laying around.ill take some pics tonight and post. Game play with the titans are great btw.

Edit: I forgot I had this pic on my phone. Color matched less in the inserts and cool white GI

image.jpeg

#457 4 years ago

Is there a free play setting for FP??? I can't seem to find it if so.

#458 4 years ago

Yep. Set audit #18 to zero, which is the 'max credits' setting. This puts it into free play.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Yep. Set audit #18 to zero, which is the 'max credits' setting. This puts it into free play.

Or drill a hole in the cabinet and wire a doorbell button to the coin switch like some idiot did on the one I own. Whichever is easier...

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Thank you sir!!!

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Or drill a hole in the cabinet and wire a doorbell button to the coin switch like some idiot did on the one I own. Whichever is easier...

lol

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I had a Firepower with a push button drilled into the coin door.

I guess this type information was hard to come by before the "interwebs" were created...

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I had a Firepower with a push button drilled into the coin door.
I guess this type information was hard to come by before the "interwebs" were created...

I didn't fault them until I saw it in the manual as well.

#464 4 years ago

Hello. I was helping a friend who had a pretty beat up fire power. Is this a three or four ball game? Could not find the answer in manual or pinball data base. Had four balls installed but was kicking out two balls at once . One was rusted and removed it. Got batteries off the board . Everything worked except pop bumper and all g.i.

#465 4 years ago

3 balls

#466 4 years ago

Thank you. Some one had an extra ball in it.

#467 4 years ago

One of my favorite pinballs. It's raw in your face pinball. Fast, fast, fast. Very simple rules, easy to understand objective, that is difficult to achieve. Perfect amount of speed, combined with a challenging goal, makes for a rewarding machine. My favorite part is that in one game I will roll over a million points, getting multiball several times. Then the next game I pay, I'll barely break 100,000 with 2 center drains and a side drain right off the bat.
For strategy I usually try to light all three locks right away, concentrating on the 6 stand up targets. I'll lock balls in the upper lock and the right lock as I can do those fairly easily on a consistent basis. Then I will work on lighting the FIRE roll overs to max out the multiplier, using the left spinner when lit. For points it seems to be best to pound that spinner when lit as much as possible, and get your multiplier up as high as possible. Then I go for the left lock, which I haven't developed a technique for yet, it usually happens by mistake. Once multiball happens it's so rewarding, but often short lived. I can't seem to keep 3 balls going very long, but often times can keep 2 going for a bit. Then once I'm back down to 1 ball I start the whole process back over.

#468 4 years ago

I have the opposite problem. I can nail the left and right locks pretty regularly, but the ball just bounces out of the top lock every time I shoot it up the left loop. I actually have more success trying to get the ball into the bumpers and nudge it as it hits the top right bumper and hope it falls into the lock. I've messed with the table level, but nothing I do makes that top lock consistently hittable.

#469 4 years ago

If mine has a problem it's that with the cleared CPR playfield the right lock's rollover will send the ball flying up into the plastic like a ramp. I can't seem to find the right tension on the rollover switch to make it reliably register yet soft enough to let the ball just roll over it.

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

If mine has a problem it's that with the cleared CPR playfield the right lock's rollover will send the ball flying up into the plastic like a ramp. I can't seem to find the right tension on the rollover switch to make it reliably register yet soft enough to let the ball just roll over it.

Are you talking about the rollover star?
-mof

#471 4 years ago

oh, yep. Seems like it's always resting too high.

1 week later
#472 4 years ago

Anyone have any leads on the keychain / keyfob? Not seeing any available online.

FP_sideart.jpg

#473 4 years ago

Also, does anyone know if there should be some type of post / rubber that goes around the screw at the top of the left inlane/outlane diverter? Mine currently has a bare screw holding the metal to the playfield.

#474 4 years ago

That keychain only came as part of the CPR plastics set

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

Also, does anyone know if there should be some type of post / rubber that goes around the screw at the top of the left inlane/outlane diverter? Mine currently has a bare screw holding the metal to the playfield.

There should be a thin metal sleeve around the screw but no rubber.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

There should be a thin metal sleeve around the screw but no rubber.

Yep. Just looked through the manual, and it's listed as Post Spacer 02-4020 1/2 Inch (http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-02-4020), and the screw: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4205-01016-16

I'm not the only one to have this issue: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/6#post-2265888, so now I need to figure out a replacement.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from Nullpunkt:

I have the opposite problem. I can nail the left and right locks pretty regularly, but the ball just bounces out of the top lock every time I shoot it up the left loop. I actually have more success trying to get the ball into the bumpers and Nudge it as it hits the top right bumper and hope it falls into the lock. I've messed with the table level, but nothing I do makes that top lock consistently hittable.

I have the same problem with mine, and also use those same techniques, sometimes shoot straight up the fire lanes and get a lucky bounce. I don't think it's bouncing out of the top lock: I thought about adjusting the backstop, but realize the ball just doesn't have quite enough energy and just barely drops short hitting the post below the lock saucer. My right lane guide was deformed leading to bouncing onto the right flipper rather than a smooth transition. I hammered that out and now it's totally smooth so the ball has more energy rolling straight onto the flipper. But still not quite enough to make it. Then I lowered the table angle slightly, and still doesn't quite make it.

Testing by hand with the glass off, reaching the saucer works fine, so I have to conclude the flippers are under powered, at least for that shot. I haven't tried to address that yet, but that seems the last resort.

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

Yep. Just looked through the manual, and it's listed as Post Spacer 02-4020 1/2 Inch (http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-02-4020), and the screw: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4205-01016-16
I'm not the only one to have this issue: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/6#post-2265888, so now I need to figure out a replacement.

I bought a pile of hardware from someone on eBay parting out a Firepower just to get one. If I had to do it over, I would take the screw down to a hobby shop, purchase a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fit the screw, cut to length, file the cut end and install.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I bought a pile of hardware from someone on eBay parting out a Firepower just to get one. If I had to do it over, I would take the screw down to a hobby shop, purchase a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fit the screw, cut to length, file the cut end and install.

If someone could get the part and a set of calipers in the same place and get me the measurements I could turn a few.

#480 4 years ago

I went to power on my FP today, and was greeted with a situation where practically all of the lamps (and numeric displays) on playfield and backbox strobe continuously. The 1st player score display read 05__40, but now just reads ___40.

Typically there was an electric hum sound that you would hear when turning it on. That sound immediately cuts off, now.

Pressing start will start a game, but the echo sound that plays just keeps going. No ball is ever placed into play.

Any ideas on what may have caused this? Where to start looking?

FWIW, I have recently replaced many lamps with LEDs (cointaker kit). It was playing fine just 24 hours ago.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

Any ideas on what may have caused this? Where to start looking?

After skimming this: http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp, I went to take another look in the backbox, at the MPU LEDs. They turned off/on, as they should. I also sort of tapped on the batteries a little (they're in there pretty snug). Went to close everything back up. Turned it on and it works correctly, again. weird.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

Turned it on and it works correctly, again. weird.

You should definitely inspect/reseat the infamous 40 pin connector along with reseating all other socketed chips.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

If someone could get the part and a set of calipers in the same place and get me the measurements I could turn a few.

Honestly. It's not that complex of a part. Just some stainless tubing, sized to pass that screw (#8?), is all you need. Anything more than that and it risks being too wide. The lane guide that sits above it is awfully narrow. I wonder if it might have either been omitted or added at some point, mine didn't have one either. Too many people missing this piece for it to have been lost.

-Han

#484 4 years ago

I think it must have been there stock. Without it, what holds up the lane guide?

I think its just a commonly lost part. It is really small. That screw is really small and its tricky to get all back together. The FP I had that was missing this part had that screw broken off in the PF which also meant the bushing was lost.

Quoted from HHaase:

The lane guide that sits above it is awfully narrow.

It really is narrow which makes replacing the screw tricky. I think it is a #4 screw which is hard to find that long. The one I found had a screw head that was wider than the lane guide which would hang up a slow rolling ball! I had to file the diameter of the screw head down.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

You should definitely inspect/reseat the infamous 40 pin connector along with reseating all other socketed chips.

Yeah, I was reading that was a common issue, too. If anyone happens to have any resources that show what to look out for, I'd appreciate it. I purchased this as my first pin with the expectation that there would be some minor maintenance, but I definitely don't have the balls to resolder chips/connectors (yet).

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

If anyone happens to have any resources that show what to look out for, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7

#487 4 years ago

Is there supposed to be foam behind the stand up targets? I see no trace of there ever being any on my machine, but those things sure do kick back hard.

#488 4 years ago

Foam wasn't original for that era.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Just some stainless tubing, sized to pass that screw (#8?)

Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think it is a #4 screw which is hard to find that long.

So what I have at this point is no length, no outside diameter, and two guesses at an inside diameter. No spacers going to get made this way.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

So what I have at this point is no length, no outside diameter, and two guesses at an inside diameter. No spacers going to get made this way.

This is the screw that goes through the spacer: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4205-01016-16

Wood screw #5 x 1 inch long 2/3 shaft thread phillips round head.

the spacer itself is 1/2" tall.

#491 4 years ago

Mine is currently sitting in the coin box so here you go.

ID - 1/8"
OD - 3/16"
LENGTH - 1/2"

#492 4 years ago
Quoted from thefunkpunk:

If you want the entire outlane guide as a single part you can have shapeways print one for you...

http://www.shapeways.com/product/Y99RAY4N6/firepower-left-outlane-guide?li=shop-results&optionId=57541870

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for Williams system 3-7 sound board solutions

#493 4 years ago

Cliffy should sell this!

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Cliffy should sell this!

Not sure if you are joking but Cliffy actually does make replacement lane guides for Firepower and many other pins. http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#495 4 years ago

I did know. But I dont think his FP lanes are 1 piece as shown above.

#496 4 years ago

NOS PF with the crate!! Starting bid $199.00 Extremely tempting. Of course this pops up after I've already restored mine.

ebay.com link » 1980 Williams Firepower Pinball Playfield Nos

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

NOS PF with the crate!! Starting bid $199.00 Extremely tempting. Of course this pops up after I've already restored mine.
ebay.com link ยป 1980 Williams Firepower Pinball Playfield Nos

Thanks for linking the listing! Never knew Williams made any Firepower playfields with jeweled inserts.... This is the one and only reason I will never have a CPR Firepower PF...

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks for linking the listing! Never knew Williams made any Firepower playfields with jeweled inserts.... This is the one and only reason I will never have a CPR Firepower PF...

They apparently did a few, but not many, in a later re-run. Caught me off-guard the first time I saw one a couple years ago. There are also some for Flash floating around too that were done with jeweled inserts.

#499 4 years ago

Still looking for the 4-5-6 plastic switch cover if anyone has one laying around

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Still looking for the 4-5-6 plastic switch cover if anyone has one laying around

There's got to be some floating around somewhere. CPR's plastic set came with a spare pair of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
$ 17.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
$ 22.50
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 3661 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside