LotR (resized).jpg
44660508-1567-4C10-B4CC-0272706FE1F7 (resized).jpeg
F483C1C0-0BF9-473A-8E0C-53A369BA9CE4 (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 5 Results.JPG
Round 6 Matchup.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This is a great match up. Classic B/W against THE classic Stern. Lyman verses Keefer. Sci-Fi fun versus epic fantasy. One whimsical, one intense. Both with outstanding elements of humor.
AFM was basically a rarity. I mean, everyone had played it, but to own one was an investment and maybe a matter of luck. Prices were in the 5 figures for very nice or restored original. The game was reimagined after 23 years and remade new! That’s the legacy LOTR has to beat here, and it’s stout.
I really, really, really like AFM. But I freaking love Lord of the Rings!

Very well said! Remember when AFM was the most talked about game Pinside? I was lucky to find a beater AFM, in the day, up near Boston. Guy advertised it and the pinside buzz was it had to be fake. Drove 5 hours to pick it up and drove home with this big smile on my face. Felt like I got away with a big Heist . Spent money on restoring it and it still sits in the game room today right next to LOTR.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So here's my thought on these two games:
LOTR is the better game. Better rules, more interesting layout, just as good of a theme, more toys. Overall a better game.
And I voted for AFM.
WHY?!
Because AFM you can play any time, any mood. LOTR you have to be in the mood for. So universally, it would the more playable game. Have friends over? Play it. Simple. And that's the thing with modern pins. I think they are indeed better, but sometimes you wanna shut your brain off and just hit shots. It's why Doctor Who will always be an all time favorite of mine. Hit that ramp. Boom boom boom. Spell WHO. Start multiball. That's like 90% of the game I just described to you in 3 seconds. Sometimes that's all you need. All you want. Games like LOTR, WOZ, TSPP.... you're going on an epic journey. People aren't always ready for that.

This is very well said. I agree on your view on both games. Quest versus speed game is the way I describe it ( I also have a Dr Who for the same reasons besides it is one of the first games to give the player a choice). LOTR,TSPP,Hobbit,JJP Pirates,BM66, EHOC are all quest type games for me. You need to be in the mood to step up and play. It is like you make the decision for the time investment. Most games take you on the journey and take time. Along the way, you try to get to an uncharted territory that you have not seen before. Most players will not finish the quest, but we understand that and accept that fact.

Speed games like IM, Tron, AFM,MM, I500 are straight forward , step up and play. Most games go quick. Sounds and callouts are very important. Love those one in 10 games where we really get it going. They are real easy to play with one's favorite beverage on a Friday night to get ready for a well deserved weekend.

So looking at AFM versus LOTR, we have two of the best, most established, games in each category facing each other. As they used to say in boxing , style makes the fight. Boxer versus puncher so to speak.

After an internal debate I went LOTR. While, AFM is a straight forward game with great callouts, blow stuff up, and got to love dancing martians. But, it is just a notch above the other speed games in this contest (in my opinion).

LOTR, again in my opinion, is on a different level than AFM from an overall design standpoint. Looking at the lay out, theme integration, and code strategy, it is the standard all quest games want to attain. It is the GOAT in the quest category. Tho I agree with all , one needs to be in the mood to play. I took this vote as The contest not to identify the funnest game ( which is a very important criteria in the tournament) but the overall greatest. Hence LOTR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 21.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?tu=sulli10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.