LotR (resized).jpg
44660508-1567-4C10-B4CC-0272706FE1F7 (resized).jpeg
F483C1C0-0BF9-473A-8E0C-53A369BA9CE4 (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 5 Results.JPG
Round 6 Matchup.JPG
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Could anyone have asked for a better Final Four from a voting perspective? Attack from Mars came back in the last hour and edged Medieval Madness, and the 17-year-old Lord of the Rings fended off the relatively brand new Jurassic Park from Stern.

Now it's up to you guys to crown a champion...

Voting will end at 10pm EST/7pm PST on Monday night. Updated stats, results, and bracket are below.

For those of you who missed how this started, or are not familiar with the rules, please see this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition#post-5573218

Statistics:

1. 637 Pinsiders voted a total of 1105 times. That's a total of 1.73 votes per person (2 matchups). Thank you to everyone who voted.

2. Biggest upset, was #8 Lord of the Rings over #2 Medieval Madness.

3. Both matchups upset their opponents by slim margins. AFM takes home the "biggest win" by percentage - 50.55% of their matchup vote versus Lord of the Rings at 50.44%.

4. Records by Pinball Company (Winning Percentage): (See screenshot below)

5. Records by Era (Winning Percentage): (See screenshot below)
Round 6 Matchup.JPGRound 6 Matchup.JPGRound 5 Results.JPGRound 5 Results.JPGRecord by Company.JPGRecord by Company.JPGRecord by Era.JPGRecord by Era.JPGSweet Sixteen Bracket.JPGSweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG

#2 4 years ago

Hi Pinside,

I have made the voting results hidden, until I publish them on Monday.

I haven't done this before... can someone confirm after they vote if they can or can't see the overall vote tally? Right now I can see three votes, but am curious to what you can or can't see.

Thank you.

#3 4 years ago

I see three also.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I see three also.

Can you see who voted for what pin?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Hi Pinside,
I haven't done this before... can someone confirm after they vote if they can or can't see the overall vote tally?
Thank you.

I just voted and it showed 3 to 3.

#6 4 years ago

It shows 3 to 3.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

I just voted and it showed 3 to 3.

Well, I guess there goes that idea. We'll just keep the voting open then. I must have missed the check box to hide the results.

Thanks for confirming guys.

#8 4 years ago

I also just voted and I'm able to see the results thus far: AFM 6 - LOTR 5

#9 4 years ago

Geaux LOTR!!!! 10-9 up by a point.

#10 4 years ago

Easy for me on this one.

Housekeeping - When this is all over, i would go back and edit the title of all of these and put the year in.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Easy for me on this one.
Housekeeping - When this is all over, i would go back and edit the title of all of these and put the year in.

I wouldn't ever fight The Law. You got it.

#12 4 years ago

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Hi Pinside,
I haven't done this before... can someone confirm after they vote if they can or can't see the overall vote tally? Right now I can see three votes, but am curious to what you can or can't see.
Thank you.

I just voted and it’s like 18-17. I can see the votes.

#14 4 years ago

Update stats, results, and bracket are now up.

Enjoy the voting and banter guys!

#15 4 years ago

How anyone could pick the clunky stop and go LOTR over the flow dream that is AFM...

#16 4 years ago

Hopefully this will boost a vault edition chance! Used market prices show demand is there.

#17 4 years ago

Gomez 4 life!!

#18 4 years ago

TO WAAAAARRRR!

AFM SHALL NOT PASS!

#19 4 years ago

voted and following!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

How anyone could pick the clunky stop and go LOTR over the flow dream that is AFM...

Second that! Lord of the rings is a good game, AFM is a great game @

#21 4 years ago

Will add to the smack talk, a lot of this is in jest as these are two great pins.

AFM is an amazing pin but it isn't better than LOTR's as it has one of the most repetitive rulesets in pinball. Shoot the middle shot 5x to save the first country, then 10x, 20x, etc. Ugh, talk about a monotonous task. Now it's a fun monotonous task but after a while it gets very old. Of course AFM plays faster, any game would with such a wide open playfield and little to stop the ball. Also, the points system in AFM is joke. 10 million points for hitting a standup target? That's probably the all time highest score on WOZ lol.

LOTR is still a fast pinball machine and offers stop and go moments with plenty of variety that keeps players coming back for more. Then there's all the layered multiballs with multiple stages, progressive based main modes that tie into the Gift of the Elves feature for beating them, and multiple wizard modes including one of the best ever created with that being Destroy the Ring.

#22 4 years ago

LOTR is a great game but it is so complex trying to work out how to get to Valinor.

What is so great about a deep game when hardly any owners get to the end?!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

LOTR is a great game but it is so complex trying to work out how to get to Valinor.
What is so great about a deep game when hardly any owners get to the end?!

That's the great thing about LOTR, in a way it has multiple games within it. You can focus on beating modes to unlock Gift of the Elves awards, attempt to get through the various stages in the 3 main movie multiballs to then get to Destroy the Ring, then There and Back Again, and finally Valinor. Those last 3 items, the games wizard modes, give it legs for years of ownership after thousands of plays. Damn it I may need buy this game again lol.

Keith Johnson, the games programmer, put it perfect when he said a mode like Destroy the Ring is for a great game while a mode like Valinor is for a game of a lifetime. A cousin of mine has owned a LOTR since new back in 2005 and has 6,000+ plays on it. A few years ago, around 12 years or so after owning it, he told me how he was amazed to unlock this new mode called Valinor after thousands of plays. That was another moment that cemented LOTR for me as one of the best pins ever created.

#24 4 years ago

Really tough to decide here.
In the end it’s clear there are a lot of good pins out there that provide fun for many with different tastes. Going to have to put some time on both of them this weekend to decide.

However when I go down to my basement the majority of the time JJPOTC gets played first/most often. Can a honeymoon phase last 1 yr...I guess it can. It’s amazing LOTR knocked off so many great pins and it’s 17 years old.

AFM....no doubt, the best pin for non regular pin players. Yet it keeps you coming back ...working to Rule the Universe doesn’t get old. It’s pure fun....if the vote was fun factor alone (ie no immersion factor, no last-ability, etc) then it takes the cake.

LOTR is fantastic, but best played when in the mood for the adventure, etc. Mine is very fast with a relatively new clearcoated playfield so I don’t have as many marathon games. Yeah when you are having a really good game... it’s like there’s nothing better then this. The modes and multiballs are top notch. DTR is amazing...the center ramp shot to the ring is one of the best and doesn’t get old. Yet when I look to the left I see TZ and AFMr. And I have said the same for them too.

In the end there are many times I am playing games (A few of my own and a few others...including DILE and JP2) where I say now this is the best game. They all have something great to offer and it’s pretty clear their “faults” get magnified for the sake of comparisons.

#25 4 years ago

Who gives two shits about art work. If a game is fun its fun. Both of these games are great in their own way. That being said I would be surprised if its even close....AFM should win easily (and yes I own both games)

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:Really tough to decide here.
In the end it’s clear there are a lot of good pins out there that provide fun for many with different tastes. Going to have to put some time on both of them this weekend to decide.
However when I go down to my basement the majority of the time JJPOTC gets played first/most often. Can a honeymoon phase last 1 yr...I guess it can. It’s amazing LOTR knocked off so many great pins and it’s 17 years old.
AFM....no doubt, the best pin for non regular pin players. Yet it keeps you coming back ...working to Rule the Universe doesn’t get old. It’s pure fun....if the vote was fun factor alone (ie no immersion factor, no last-ability, etc) then it takes the cake.
LOTR is fantastic, but best played when in the mood for the adventure, etc. Mine is very fast with a relatively new clearcoated playfield so I don’t have as many marathon games. Yeah when you are having a really good game... it’s like there’s nothing better then this. The modes and multiballs are top notch. DTR is amazing...the center ramp shot to the ring is one of the best and doesn’t get old. Yet when I look to the left I see TZ and AFMr. And I have said the same for them too.
In the end there are many times I am playing games (A few of my own and a few others...including DILE and JP2) where I say now this is the best game. They all have something great to offer and it’s pretty clear their “faults” get magnified for the sake of comparisons.

Well said!

#27 4 years ago

Yes you can still see the votes , there's normally a setting in the pole to view results but I'm sure you know that too . Both great games , that's like asking who's better looking Elle Macpherson or Claudia Schiffer . If I was on a desert island and could only have one game to play out of these two I would have to , go Lord of the Rings .

#28 4 years ago

So many subjective aspects will show up in this round. Flow vs stop go, designers, programmers, Stern or B/W.

What is cool is both are pretty complete for fans of moderns in licensed or unlicensed themes.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

Gomez 4 life!!

F483C1C0-0BF9-473A-8E0C-53A369BA9CE4 (resized).jpegF483C1C0-0BF9-473A-8E0C-53A369BA9CE4 (resized).jpeg
#30 4 years ago

This is a great match up. Classic B/W against THE classic Stern. Lyman verses Keefer. Sci-Fi fun versus epic fantasy. One whimsical, one intense. Both with outstanding elements of humor.

AFM was basically a rarity. I mean, everyone had played it, but to own one was an investment and maybe a matter of luck. Prices were in the 5 figures for very nice or restored original. The game was reimagined after 23 years and remade new! That’s the legacy LOTR has to beat here, and it’s stout.

I really, really, really like AFM. But I freaking love Lord of the Rings!

#31 4 years ago

I have been lucky to own both, totally agree with both of these machines in the finals. They are so different from each other almost polar opposites so it will just come down to personal preferences. Either way you can’t lose as both are worthy of the title.

#32 4 years ago

I think this is going to come down to what type of game each voter likes to play - more straightforward, or depth and wood chopping.

If you play AFM as a city attack only, you're playing it wrong That's like playing MM as castles only.

They both have lots of campy humor although in the case of LOTR, I think it was unintentional - which makes it even funnier.

#33 4 years ago

These are truly the two greatest games of all time.

If I could only have a two game collection, this would be it.

#34 4 years ago

What's better, getting to a made up place, or ruling the freaking universe?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

What's better, getting to a made up place, or ruling the freaking universe?

Depends on what I am drinking that day!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I could only have a two game collection, this would be it.

Sensing just a little bit of sarcasm..
44660508-1567-4C10-B4CC-0272706FE1F7 (resized).jpeg44660508-1567-4C10-B4CC-0272706FE1F7 (resized).jpeg

#37 4 years ago

I'm still seeing votes (?)....this one isn't even close for me......

#38 4 years ago

This is a toss up for me. Having owned LOTR for eight years, I've had countless hours of fun playing that masterpiece. As others have said, it's a storied adventure everytime you hit start.

AFM to me is just a perfect example of great classic pinball. It has fantastic flow, funny callouts, with just enough depth and features to keep it interesting. You don't have to take a course on how to play it and it's still plenty challenging. I've owned mine for around 2.5 years now, and it's still far from getting old. I've only made it to RTU twice and and not "ruled it" yet.

I need more time to think on this...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Sensing just a little bit of sarcasm..

No, I have decided to become one with the mob and will be selling several machines to buy both of these.

Who cares if I won't be playing them, at least I'll be cool.

#40 4 years ago

Stepping back and looking at the playfield for LotR......yup, gotta say, it's probably the the GoaT

LotR (resized).jpgLotR (resized).jpg
#41 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who cares if I won't be playing them, at least I'll be cool.

There are probably cooler machines out there. I would wait for the next tournament to determine what’s best to buy just for show and to look at. How about TBL. That one is really cool and beautiful too.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This is a great match up. Classic B/W against THE classic Stern. Lyman verses Keefer. Sci-Fi fun versus epic fantasy. One whimsical, one intense. Both with outstanding elements of humor.
AFM was basically a rarity. I mean, everyone had played it, but to own one was an investment and maybe a matter of luck. Prices were in the 5 figures for very nice or restored original. The game was reimagined after 23 years and remade new! That’s the legacy LOTR has to beat here, and it’s stout.
I really, really, really like AFM. But I freaking love Lord of the Rings!

Very well said! Remember when AFM was the most talked about game Pinside? I was lucky to find a beater AFM, in the day, up near Boston. Guy advertised it and the pinside buzz was it had to be fake. Drove 5 hours to pick it up and drove home with this big smile on my face. Felt like I got away with a big Heist . Spent money on restoring it and it still sits in the game room today right next to LOTR.

#43 4 years ago

I used to play the heck out of AFM at several locations. It was one of the better flowing games from the mid 90s. Several friends had one, but for some reason it never made my collection. Probably because I already saw that space ship blow up enough times for a lifetime.

#44 4 years ago

Thx for doing this. It's been fun playing along.

#45 4 years ago

LOTR is far, far from the greatest pin every made, but it kills ATM easily. Thank god it wasn't AFM vs MM. Absolute snoozefest.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

How about TBL. That one is really cool and beautiful too.

Great movie, but after playing the game, it is just a big barge of a boat anchor.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

LOTR is far, far from the greatest pin every made, but it kills ATM easily. Thank god it wasn't AFM vs MM. Absolute snoozefest.

What game is ATM?

However AFM would be a completely different story!!

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Does anyone have any ATMs on route?

Legitimate question.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Does anyone have any ATMs on route?
Legitimate question.

See them all the time!

#50 4 years ago

Put side by side, AFM is just plain fun at any time. For LOTR, I have to be in the right mood and have enough time to commit to a game on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

16,500 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition?hl=jaeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.