LotR (resized).jpg
44660508-1567-4C10-B4CC-0272706FE1F7 (resized).jpeg
F483C1C0-0BF9-473A-8E0C-53A369BA9CE4 (resized).jpeg
Sweet Sixteen Bracket.JPG
Record by Era.JPG
Record by Company.JPG
Round 5 Results.JPG
Round 6 Matchup.JPG
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:Does anyone have any ATMs on route?
Legitimate question.

I have ATMs on route. They destroy any pinball on earning.

#52 3 years ago

A little over 48 hours until voting is complete.

#53 3 years ago

For me it's easy, LOTR left my collection like 14 years ago buying it when it was first released. My first AFM I bought in 2000 but decided I had to have a CC which I later regretted ditching my mint(was a NIB) AFM for. However, soon as AFMR was announced I ordered one. Meanwhile LOTR has rarely crossed my mind again since I sold it.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

LOTR is a great game but it is so complex trying to work out how to get to Valinor.
What is so great about a deep game when hardly any owners get to the end?!

I agree, the game rules are great to read and how it sets up if you could get far enough, but I sold the game because I was only able to play the front half of the rules. I feel like LotR is somewhat of a chore to play. Great game overall but AFM is the better game to me.

#55 3 years ago

Got a classic afmr a few months ago.. and the color chip. Addicting and tough game. Love playing it. It is a simpler game in rules. at times at it can be fast and brutal. I got it over jp. It could have gone either way, both are great games

#56 3 years ago

Some of the best rules (to me) is something as simple as a 5-way combo, or two ball martian attack mode both are attainable almost any game yet not the easiest thing either.

However, to destroy the ring is the most exciting pinball mission that I've attained.

I give the slight edge to AFM for more excitement more often, LotR is great but the accomplishments are far between.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Put side by side, AFM is just plain fun at any time. For LOTR, I have to be in the right mood and have enough time to commit to a game on it.

Yep, twice a year it gets played.

#58 3 years ago

Never seen so much fun over a typo!

#59 3 years ago

So here's my thought on these two games:

LOTR is the better game. Better rules, more interesting layout, just as good of a theme, more toys. Overall a better game.

And I voted for AFM.

WHY?!

Because AFM you can play any time, any mood. LOTR you have to be in the mood for. So universally, it would the more playable game. Have friends over? Play it. Simple. And that's the thing with modern pins. I think they are indeed better, but sometimes you wanna shut your brain off and just hit shots. It's why Doctor Who will always be an all time favorite of mine. Hit that ramp. Boom boom boom. Spell WHO. Start multiball. That's like 90% of the game I just described to you in 3 seconds. Sometimes that's all you need. All you want. Games like LOTR, WOZ, TSPP.... you're going on an epic journey. People aren't always ready for that.

#60 3 years ago

I have both, original AFM & LOTR LE. I voted AFM, need to be in the mood for LOTR but AFM I will play on a whim.
I worked for a company called AFM lighting and we did the lighting for LOTR

#61 3 years ago

LOTR = Greatest Movie of all time
LOTR = Greatest Pinball of all time

#62 3 years ago

I got bored of the Rings by 1970!! Fun,but long and complicated! Just like the pin!!

#63 3 years ago

I still have a first run HUO LOTR in my collection, but sold my TSPP. They are both the two best Sterns in my opinion. Love the deep rules on both, but even for the novice player, there’s really nothing like getting 2X scoring stacked with multiball, a mode, and Gollum all at the same time. I’d have to say LOTR is the best Stern of all time.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

LOTR is the better game. Better rules, more interesting layout, just as good of a theme, more toys. Overall a better game.
And I voted for AFM.
WHY?!
Because AFM you can play any time, any mood. LOTR you have to be in the mood for. So universally, it would the more playable game. Have friends over? Play it. Simple. And that's the thing with modern pins. I think they are indeed better, but sometimes you wanna shut your brain off and just hit shots. It's why Doctor Who will always be an all time favorite of mine. Hit that ramp. Boom boom boom. Spell WHO. Start multiball. That's like 90% of the game I just described to you in 3 seconds. Sometimes that's all you need. All you want. Games like LOTR, WOZ, TSPP.... you're going on an epic journey. People aren't always ready for that.

yep, twice a year when people get in the mood they play LOTR. Still can't believe it made it this far.

#65 3 years ago

36 hours left to vote - where are those other 300 Pinsiders who voted last round?

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

36 hours left to vote - where are those other 300 Pinsiders who voted last round?

They're in the middle of their twice yearly games of LOTR.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

yep, twice a year when people get in the mood they play LOTR. Still can't believe it made it this far.

Totally agree....top 10 pin - yes, top 2 pin - no way. What we've learned is it has a great following on pinside ....I've owned it so I know the game well. Its a great game, but zero chance LOTR is in the same league as POTC

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

And I voted for AFM.
WHY?!

This is very well said. I agree on your view on both games. Quest versus speed game is the way I describe it ( I also have a Dr Who for the same reasons besides it is one of the first games to give the player a choice). LOTR,TSPP,Hobbit,JJP Pirates,BM66, EHOC are all quest type games for me. You need to be in the mood to step up and play. It is like you make the decision for the time investment. Most games take you on the journey and take time. Along the way, you try to get to an uncharted territory that you have not seen before. Most players will not finish the quest, but we understand that and accept that fact.

Speed games like IM, Tron, AFM,MM, I500 are straight forward , step up and play. Most games go quick. Sounds and callouts are very important. Love those one in 10 games where we really get it going. They are real easy to play with one's favorite beverage on a Friday night to get ready for a well deserved weekend.

So looking at AFM versus LOTR, we have two of the best, most established, games in each category facing each other. As they used to say in boxing , style makes the fight. Boxer versus puncher so to speak.

After an internal debate I went LOTR. While, AFM is a straight forward game with great callouts, blow stuff up, and got to love dancing martians. But, it is just a notch above the other speed games in this contest (in my opinion).

LOTR, again in my opinion, is on a different level than AFM from an overall design standpoint. Looking at the lay out, theme integration, and code strategy, it is the standard all quest games want to attain. It is the GOAT in the quest category. Tho I agree with all , one needs to be in the mood to play. I took this vote as The contest not to identify the funnest game ( which is a very important criteria in the tournament) but the overall greatest. Hence LOTR.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Totally agree....top 10 pin - yes, top 2 pin - no way. What we've learned is it has a great following on pinside ....I've owned it so I know the game well. Its a great game, but zero chance LOTR is in the same league as POTC

See, you say this... and yet, here we are. It made it to the final 2, whether you like it or not. POTC is AMAZING. But, the assets aren't there in comparison. But, honestly, Pirates is very much a modern day LOTR. I'd say it's a close tie.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I almost spit out my Cinnamon Toast Crunch reading that. Very funny.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

See, you say this... and yet, here we are. It made it to the final 2, whether you like it or not. POTC is AMAZING. But, the assets aren't there in comparison. But, honestly, Pirates is very much a modern day LOTR. I'd say it's a close tie.

point well taken....I guess the modern day feel is the game changer for me

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Quoted from AFM95:

I almost spit out my Cinnamon Toast Crunch reading that. Very funny.

Post of the day! Becasue it's funny and it's TRUE!

Now I'm going to go play the new GOAT (JP2), and the mini GOAT (IM).

#73 3 years ago

A game’s starting position in the bracket will affect the final outcome. I agree with LOTR winning. It went head to head against MET, JJPOTC, JP3 and AFM and won each battle. That’s a champion.

What next ? I feel the tournament would have been more exciting had the top 64 pins been invited, similar to NCAA basketball tournament. There would have been more upsets and wild outcomes during the tourney. Ultimately the best pins will end up in the sweet 16 and final 4, but a top pin could be eliminated or a Cinderella team can still be in the running. No rush to restart the expanded tournament, we can wait until next March.

#74 3 years ago

I think AFM may well be the most INFLUENTIAL pin of all-time. But, LOTR is the greatest pin of all-time as it has unique features which are part of the game play (path of the dead, sword ball lock, tower shot, etc) you have to use the entire playfield and then the code is just a masterpiece. I think you really can make a cogent argument for it as the all-time greatest.
But, honestly, who really cares. Just enjoy them all. Every pin in this tourney was great.
Respect all, fear none...

#75 3 years ago

Longest Of The Rules is not best.

A game where you have to talk yourself into starting it because it's gonna take 45 minutes and you'll just fall short yet again is not the best.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Easy choice for many, but probably don't want to pile on...

Personally, I've never been a fan of LOTR, probably because I'm an average player ( fine by me).

I don't slam it though, because it's obviously a treasure to some, and has stood the test of time.

Pinball is just fun, period.

Only 1 game I've ever been really pissed with...but not for discussion in this thread.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

LOTR = Greatest Movie of all time
LOTR = Greatest Pinball of all time

Nice try, but everyone knows the greatest movie of all time is Hot Tub Time Machine...

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I feel the tournament would have been more exciting had the top 64 pins been invited, similar to NCAA basketball tournament.

How do we invite pins to the tournament?

What's your interpretation of the Top 64?

#79 3 years ago

AFM is a fun pin, however it is way too easy.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Yeah, I thought this was the top 64?

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It is. I tried to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible.

I do agree with jeffspinballpalace that it can be all about the matchup. However, as you saw throughout the bracket, the cream rises to the top, and 7 of the 8 top ranked games from Pinside's Top 100 made it into the final eight (#11 IJ Williams upset #6 Iron Maiden).

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It was the top 64...15 days ago. Unfortunately you missed some real good match ups.

#83 3 years ago

Op created a great, entertaining way to pass the time...pure and simple

AFM is a great game, and deserving...wonder how many have actually truly finished it? I love mine and not leaving.

If the competition had started a week later, completely different matchups as "1" would be no where close to that rank. The matchups created a cakewalk for some , as well as true top pins facing each other too early.

I appreciate the time and effort put in ( but man, that winning percentage by manufacturer is SO wrong... ..)

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

It was the top 64...15 days ago. Unfortunately you missed some real good match ups.

Agreed...TZ and MM was my favorite...what a dogfight!!!

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed...TZ and MM was my favorite...what a dogfight!!!

Still shocked that TZ lost. I have both so I'm not playing favorites.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

maybe he means 4 regions like the real march madness?

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

maybe he means 4 regions like the real march madness?

Could be - I have them set up that way. I just didn't name them.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Op created a great, entertaining way to pass the time...pure and simple
AFM is a great game, and deserving...wonder how many have actually truly finished it? I love mine and not leaving.
If the competition had started a week later, completely different matchups as "1" would be no where close to that rank. The matchups created a cakewalk for some , as well as true top pins facing each other too early.
I appreciate the time and effort put in ( but man, that winning percentage by manufacturer is SO wrong... ..)

MK6PIN - Happy Birthday! Your non-cannibalism winning percentage by manufacturer has been completed. I also added a side by side comparison.

A total of 14 matches of the 62 were thrown out for "cannibalism." Four matches were thrown out in Round 1, six in Round 2, three in Round 3, zero in Round 4, and one in Round 5.
NonCannibalism Record by Manufacturer.JPGNonCannibalism Record by Manufacturer.JPGSide by Side.JPGSide by Side.JPG

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

mk6pin - Happy Birthday! Your non-cannibalism winning percentage by manufacturer has been completed. I also added a side by side comparison.
A total of 14 matches of the 62 were thrown out for "cannibalism." Four matches were thrown out in Round 1, six in Round 2, three in Round 3, zero in Round 4, and one in Round 5.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Bravo!!! (too funny).....my picking was all in fun and thanks for providing a nice distraction the past couple of weeks. You are to be commended for keeping a thread like this going for so long without pitchforks!!!!!

A late Sunday nap is in order before facing Monday......mark

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Could be - I have them set up that way. I just didn't name them.

Yeah....I'm at a lose.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Bravo!!! (too funny).....my picking was all in fun and thanks for providing a nice distraction the past couple of weeks. You are to be commended for keeping a thread like this going for so long without pitchforks!!!!!
A late Sunday nap is in order before facing Monday......mark

Haha! Thanks Mark.

FYI - I'll have a few more additional statistics for my final recap on Tuesday. More to come.

#92 3 years ago

I still haven’t made my decision. Played them both for a while this AM and really having a tough time deciding. Had some stinker games and also some pretty good ones where you say...“ok this is the one”.

I am obviously caught in the Twilight Zone.

9A679CEB-6795-4B46-B046-CC938A5F9DAB (resized).jpeg9A679CEB-6795-4B46-B046-CC938A5F9DAB (resized).jpeg
#93 3 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

I still haven’t made my decision. Played them both for a while this AM and really having a tough time deciding. Had some stinker games and also some pretty good ones where you say...“ok this is the one”.

Same here. I'm having a difficult time deciding. Right now I'm leaning slightly towards LOTR.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I didn’t miss anything. I’ve been here the entire time. Picking about 80% + winners too.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

I am obviously caught in the Twilight Zone.[quoted image]

Fantastic post. And perfect collection!

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

I am obviously caught in the Twilight Zone.[quoted image]

I love that you're putting a lot of thought into it.

#97 3 years ago

"Alea iacta est" --- Julius Caesar

#98 3 years ago

Less than 24 hours to vote.

#99 3 years ago

Voting ends tonight at 10pm EST/7pm PST.

#100 3 years ago

I’m very late to this party. Wish I had seen this earlier on and voted.
IMO there is no way JJPPOTC should have lost to LOTR!
The final 2 pins SHOULD have been POTC vs JP.
Best 2 games

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-finals-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/2?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.