Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

madbro (resized).jpg
    Annotation 2023-05-19 062817 (resized).png
    Cyclone (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_E6591 (resized).JPG
    happy-dolphin (resized).png

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 months ago

Thats just low. I agree with OP. At least you're not the one blatantly trying to rip other people off by asking 40% more for a machine than it's worth, also lying about how nice it is and bullshit statements like "You won't find a nicer one!"

You can make money, you can't buy a reputation.

#52 11 months ago

always makes me smile to see people flipping my stuff!

IMG_E6591 (resized).JPGIMG_E6591 (resized).JPG
    #53 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So I just sold my cyclone to a member here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/155604
    And another member that actually WANTED the game before this guy ended up buying it notified me that it's being flipped already.
    chicago.craigslist.org link
    Like... I know you can do whatever you want with a game, but it's a gross feeling. All he did was add some new cards in the apron and trying to flip. Still using a few of my pics from the ad here on pinside, too. Worst of all this douche had the nerve to try and talk me down on price once he got there. Luckily I stood my ground and only gave him 50 off because "thats all he brought."
    Sorta a dumb feeling. I think he's gonna sorta choke on it at that price for a while... just sorta a weird shitty feeling when I wished it had gone to someone that actually wanted it instead.

Just have everyone flag his ad, like some scammers around here do. They flag legit ads so they get pushed to the top, flag this guy and make life harder for him.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

O man... not even close. There are documented cases of people (pinsiders even) going to look at other peoples games. Taking picutres, then offering a standing "lowball offer". They then take the pictures they took while at your house and list said price at a price lower than your asking, but higher than his offer on other sites hoping they can sell it for that price, then buy your pin from you and sell it to the other guy. It's happened. Thats low with pictures.
    Or even worse...
    I sold my Attack From Mars SE in 2019. The photos I took are still to this day being used to scam people.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-see-their-house-in-a-scam-for-sale-ad#post-7342956

Personally I think the worst of the worst are the guys who repost Pinside ads BEFORE THEY BUY THE GAME so they can resell and already know their profit margin. I’ve seen that a lot lately. Happened to my buddy, he got scammed by that Pjpartyrentals guy. If you look on Pinside, all of his ads are literal screenshots of OTHER PINSIDE ADS with the ad clearly visible! Laziest flipper/scammer. He doesn’t even look at the games and just makes up the condition, they’re trashed.

Several other people are doing this, using screenshots of another ad for their own, usually clearly showing the original ad and seller.
    The scam being a Pinsider X has a Cyclone listed for 2700, Pinside Scammer uses Pinsider X’s photos and runs their own ad at 4500, then when Pinside Scammers get a buyer at 3500, they’ll try to shake down Pinsider X for even less to make a bigger margin on the “guaranteed sale”

#54 11 months ago

I get why this could be upsetting. I know that some stuff I have sold in the past was flipped, but I know I got what I needed from the sale, so they can do whatever the heck they want to after they get it. I don't have to like it, but it's not my game at that point.

Now that said, I recently bought 2 machines I am bringing to the Allentown show. Both will be in the free play area, and I do not want to sell them, BUT I also get tired of people asking what would I sell it for. So I put prices on them which are higher than they should be and if they sell, so be it. In these cases I have notified the 2 people I bought them from as to my intentions and that I am not just flipping them, but they MAY sell for whatever I put on them.

I get it, but in the past I price things for what I need to get from them and not be upset if someone tries to get more for them. that's their business, not mine. Chris

#55 11 months ago

I’ve got a question…….How long do you have to keep a game before it is considered flipping? Now with that said, I am not a “flipper” so pleases don’t roast me as I have never even sold a pin I’ve purchased. On the other hand though, I’ve gotten some pretty good deals on a couple of the games I’ve purchased (one in particular I practically stole) and if/when I ever sell them I would probably make a decent profit. Just wondering the crowd’s opinion on this.

#56 11 months ago

It’s not your game anymore. So it hasn’t been flipped. Just put them on your do not sell list and move on.

#57 11 months ago
    Quoted from 03whtlightning:

I’ve got a question…….How long do you have to keep a game before it is considered flipping? Now with that said, I am not a “flipper” so pleases don’t roast me as I have never even sold a pin I’ve purchased. On the other hand though, I’ve gotten some pretty good deals on a couple of the games I’ve purchased (one in particular I practically stole) and if/when I ever sell them I would probably make a decent profit. Just wondering the crowd’s opinion on this.

Flip it tomorrow but can you atleast make sure it flips,clean it and re-rubber it before you do.
    Capitalism is one thing but this is supposed to be a hobby not opportunity to screw others that actually wanted to own the game and play it.
    -Mike

#58 11 months ago

For me, I don't think it's as much a matter of time as it is a matter of intent. I buy games with the intent of putting them in my home for my family and friends to enjoy. Some stay longer than others obviously. When I sell them, lately, I've made some small profits. Now, if I were buying the games with the sole intent of not playing them, and just reselling them for a profit (especially if I try to lowball the person I'm buying the machine from), that's what makes one a "flipper".

#59 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s not your game anymore. So it hasn’t been flipped. Just put them on your do not sell list and move on.

Do you guys actually keep "do not sell lists"? I only have one commercial establishment I've blacklisted.

#60 11 months ago

Do you guys actually keep "do not sell lists"? I only have one commercial establishment I've blacklisted.

Yes so that I don't believe any sob stories.

To be clear, I get what I want out of a game when I sell it. They can flip it I don't care, but any issues are now their problem not mine.

#61 11 months ago

In the past I've bought cheap, broken games with the sole intent of flipping them, but I've always cleaned/fixed and played them for a while (month or 2) before selling them.

I've only really "flipped" a game twice - once to a co-worker who was looking for a game - found a good deal, fixed a few things and sold a couple days later, and once to a pinhead buddy, basically passed along a good deal the day I bought something and took a cut from the top.

#62 11 months ago

I don’t cause I don’t care what people do with games I sell.

#63 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t cause I don’t care what people do with games I sell.

Ahhh... mine was more because someone screwed me selling a game, and I don't want them screwing someone else with my games.

#64 11 months ago

Ahhh... mine was more because someone screwed me selling a game, and I don't want them screwing someone else with my games.

Oh good point. Yeah. I would definitely remember those types and make note to never deal with them again.

#65 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m seeing a pattern here...
    If you want to get double or triple the value of your game, simply put it on a cart and start wheeling it around at a show. It’s like chumming the waters for fat wallet pinball buyers.

Make it look like a tank, I mean shark!!

#66 11 months ago

i sold 3 fishtales in 2012 for $1800 to $2300, im pissed the owners just sold them for 5-6k!

#67 11 months ago

Hell, I make note of local Pinsiders who don’t bother to get back to me or try to pull one over on me/take me on a deal. No future soup for you!

#68 11 months ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #69 11 months ago

I flip dirt bikes and had a frequent buyer who would buy from me and flip them himself. My bikes last at most a week on Craigslist, etc.. and sell, which is working out for me. I hate them sitting around for months because high price, like his do.

What started bugging me, was he started using my pictures (I take extra time and effort for good pictures) and posting the bike for sale before he actually picked it up. Basically, cut and paste my ad. I told him about it and he started with some BS that he donates all profits to Childrens' hospitals blah blah blah. I stopped responding to him and he no longer buys from me.

#70 11 months ago

I wouldn’t care beyond re-using my pictures, and I guess I will watermark them going forward, because that would bug me.

I haven’t sold many pins yet... however once the decision is made to sell, I am ready to move it out. I move them to my garage for easy inspection and loading. I don’t buy pins as investments, I buy them to play the $hit out of them. So when I’ve decided to sell, I price it knowing I am likely under market, which might leave room for someone else to make some money. Working through a couple of almost buyers to find ‘the’ buyer...not my jam.

What I want is 3-4 people racing to answer me and offering cash in hand to take my pin. They know it’s a good deal, I know it’s a good deal. I don’t want tire-kickers, I ignore low-ball offers and simply look for the first person meeting my offer with the soonest pick-up. After that? Outta sight, outta mind...

#71 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So I just sold my cyclone to a member here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/155604
    And another member that actually WANTED the game before this guy ended up buying it notified me that it's being flipped already.
    chicago.craigslist.org link
    Like... I know you can do whatever you want with a game, but it's a gross feeling. All he did was add some new cards in the apron and trying to flip. Still using a few of my pics from the ad here on pinside, too. Worst of all this douche had the nerve to try and talk me down on price once he got there. Luckily I stood my ground and only gave him 50 off because "thats all he brought."
    Sorta a dumb feeling. I think he's gonna sorta choke on it at that price for a while... just sorta a weird shitty feeling when I wished it had gone to someone that actually wanted it instead.

So it sounds like you got the price you were asking so what's the problem? When you sell a game its no longer your game. Move on and don't worry
    what someone else does with it. The the problem today. Too many people worry about other peoples business.

#72 11 months ago

I’d be upset if someone presented themself in a way that was not honest. For example, they say hey I’m desperately trying to break into pinball and get a decent game. You cut them a break and they immediately flip it. You could say cool, they’re trying to sell/trade up to a different game, or maybe you’re disappointed they didn’t even give the game the time and enjoy it, OR you found out they already were in the hobby, clearly misled you or lied, and were just trying to make an extra $500 off you. Regardless, don’t let them control you, but do vet them if you care about these things.

#73 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

In the past I've bought cheap, broken games with the sole intent of flipping them, but I've always cleaned/fixed and played them for a while (month or 2) before selling them.
    I've only really "flipped" a game twice - once to a co-worker who was looking for a game - found a good deal, fixed a few things and sold a couple days later, and once to a pinhead buddy, basically passed along a good deal the day I bought something and took a cut from the top.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

i sold 3 fishtales in 2012 for $1800 to $2300, im pissed the owners just sold them for 5-6k!

Somehow it's acceptable for some to flip but not others. A big part of the hobby is buying and selling and fixing games to work you way to better or just more games. Only time I can see flipping to be an insult if you give a buddy deal to friend who immediately sells it.

#74 11 months ago

I rarely make money or break even if/when I sell my pins.

I sold some pins to some “friends” for excellent low prices. At the time I sold them because..

(A) I needed the room for another pin or…
    (B) I needed the money for that purchase (which I usually didn’t) or because I wanted to use the money to pay off something else (which I would have paid off if I just had the patience) or…
    (C) I wanted to give the buyer a great deal, regardless of the money I was losing. I wanted them to walk away happy with it and wouldn’t hesitate giving me a good reference in my future buys/sales. I thought by being this way it would factor in the long run of buying things in the hobby, right?

I don’t mind the sale, but it punches you in the gut when you contact that person later on wanting to make some type of pinball purchase from them (mod, pin, topper, etc) thinking they would remember my deal I gave them and they won’t even consider coming down on their price or at least pay back the favor in some small way. This is my biggest gripe in the pinball world. Yeah I know…MAN UP and move on. Whatever!

I met some great people in this hobby, but I also lost some too. I had some close pinheads suddenly quit hanging out once they bought the pin from me they’ve been chasing down for awhile.

On one sale the guy loved the pin I had, but stated he can’t stand mods on a pin. I found out later he either pulled them off (and I’m not talking action figures glued on the plastics. I’m talking about quality made mods from BAC, Mezel, modfather, etc) when he flipped the pin later. I wish I would have known that because I would have taken them off and kept them since they disgusted him just in case I miss the pin and bought that pin later, re-using the mods I enjoyed. And before you ask….NO….I did not ask more money because of the mods even though sometimes I should. Who can argue that tdiddy’s Naegel mod for Godzilla, Medisynl mod for EHOH, or Goudevia (sorry for the mis-spelling, but I’m a roll and proving a point here) IMDN Sarcophagus mod don’t enhance the pins’ overall looks, but that’s an argument for the pinhead who starts a topic on their hatred of toppers and mods so I’ll just leave that dog laying where he’s laying. Weird thing is he mentioned to me later while he was loading the pin he was going to get into the business of making pinball mods.

My wife sums it up the best.

I don’t mind you buying the pins, but I hate when you sell them because you’re too nice and you end up giving them away after you take such great care of them. Truth hurts!

In closing I just want to tell the pinhead who started this thread….

I FEEL YA BRUTHA!

1 week later
    #76 11 months ago

Looks like Craigslist Ad is still up. No way he gets $4300 for a Cyclone. Don’t sweat it.

#77 11 months ago

None of his listings will move at those prices, unless a sucker comes along (which is obviously who his target audience is)
    Just another 1yr member flipper which seems to be more and more common on pinside these days.

#78 11 months ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

None of his listings will move at those prices, unless a sucker comes along (which is obviously who his target audience is)
    Just another 1yr member flipper which seems to be more and more common on pinside these days.

His Last Action Hero for $5,900

#79 11 months ago

Agree lol

Quoted from Sarge:

I have adopted a simple solution:
    Don't sell, ONLY BUY!

#80 11 months ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

If someone shows up to buy a machine from me and doesn't have the money that was agreed upon, I would send them on their way. I know it is only 50 bucks, but it is the principle. If you agree on a price, stick to the price and have the damn money.

^^^. This. Short 1% of the agreed price? ATM down the street. See you in a few.

Everyone wants to feel that they got the better deal, I get that. Blatantly obvious what they’re doing while they are doing it. THEY drove to my pins, I’ve got the upper hand. Just pay up. Unless something’s not right. That’s a different ball game.

#81 11 months ago

90% of the time, I sell my games to friends just to avoid the hassle of selling. I try to mentally “break up” with the pin before selling it, so I have no feelings about it after the deal is done. If they can make a profit down the road, more power to them. It’s my job to do the research so I don’t lowball myself when they ask “what are you wanting to get for it”?

#82 11 months ago

At this point I'm not buying anything that I don't plan on keeping for a decade or more and sticking to NIB. I strongly dislike the whole buying and selling process when dealing with individuals.

I once sold a machine I had for over a decade. I misjudged the price. Didn't commit to sell with anyone and quickly raised the price after I saw how much blood I'd put in the water. Found out that some locals on a FB page were talking $#@! about me being an unscrupulous seller and turning a craigslist ad into an auction. This coming from guys that would probably low ball a freshly made widow just to flip a game. Was a real turn off. It's my game and I'll get what I want for it. I shouldn't be expected to honor a price that NO ONE had agreed to pay yet.

I really enjoy the owning and the playing. But there are some creeps in this hobby that need to learn to survive on something other than just 'hussle'.

#83 11 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I try to mentally “break up” with the pin before selling it, so I have no feelings about it after the deal is done.

This is the way. Don't get sentimentally attached to any objects. They don't love you back.

I'm finding trades to be the way to go to keep freshness in a collection. Not a guarantee, but trades will be dealing much more with enthusiasts and less with profiteers. The main downside is that you won't get any NIB hotness releases right away, but be patient and they'll come up for trade eventually.

2 weeks later
    #84 10 months ago

Apparently it has found a new home.

Cyclone (resized).pngCyclone (resized).png
    #85 10 months ago

There has historically been a group of Pinsiders who want to 'Save Pinball' by insisting that machines offered for sale are priced too high.

"I would only pay $500!!!" They would say.

"That's WAY overpriced" They would say.

"No way that I would pay that" They would say.

So I've seen quite a few people sell their pinball at lower than market prices, and have their machine flipped almost immediately.

The person who was getting irrational support by some Pinsiders 'Saving Pinball' by selling at a low price, didn't save pinball... they enabled somebody else to make thousands of dollars.

Sell your machine at fair market value, don't leave margin for a flipper, and you don't have this feeling you've been exploited.

#86 10 months ago

Once the cash is in my hand and the machine is off my property I don't care what you do with it. Flip,burn,smash... idk it's not mine and none of my business or concern.

#87 10 months ago
    Quoted from G35R6:

[quoted image]

That's a relief. One night about two weeks ago, he angrily drunk texted me a curse laden paragraph saying he would sell it back to me for four hundred more than I sold it to him. It was a very odd text that happened out of the blue... one I didn't reply back to.

May the new buyer be happy!

#88 10 months ago

It's simple after you sell it's no longer your game so who cares what they do with it.

#89 10 months ago

This thread has been helpful. I think life is too short to live it dishonestly. I got a little "taken" by a veteran pinsider in my very first purchase on here. But it was still a better outcome than getting totally cheated out of ALL my money from a crook selling on the internet with a fake storefront using other people's pictures. I was so damn close to wiring that dude $6K. I just couldn't find any BBB record of his business, and when I told him that, he stopped calling me. So that's how I knew he was a scammer. It really is a very dangerous place out there. Pinside provides a lot of protection for transactions but nothing is perfect.

This whole thing about flippers is a warning to those of us who would like to keep prices down by lowering our prices. That was my instinct but people are right who say just sell at the market price so that it doesn't go to a flipper. The market always sets the price. Just follow the market.

#90 10 months ago

You can still see the Comet in the pics for his demo man. Doesn't necessarily mean that he hasn't actually sold it, but I can't count how many times somebody Lie bragged about getting a bunch of money for a game that they had listed for a crazy amount to try and flex on the "haters"

#91 10 months ago

There is no right answer. You could buy a game because it's a steal of a deal that fell in your lap, find out you hate it, and sell it a week later for market rate. Not flipping IMHO. That said, if you're acting in good faith, how often is that really going to happen?

Flipping is much more an attitude than an action. If you sell something and make a few bucks, good for you. If you buy something with the intent to sell it, and act like a douchecanoe when you buy them you're a dick.

#92 10 months ago

Sometimes your phone rings despite putting an "I don't want to sell it" price on something at a pinball show to have people leave you in peace. Arranged to buy a restored firepower at Pinfest. It was beautiful. Put it out on the freeplay floor as soon as I got it with the "I don't want to sell it" price so that I could enjoy the show and share my new toy. Somehow, my phone rang while I was in the tournament with someone who wanted to buy it. Free money I guess. Go over to the machine after the tournament and... its a high school student who saved up to buy his first machine. I couldn't do it, and the machine moved on to him at what I paid for it. It all worked out as I just picked up a nice Xenon at the show instead.

#93 10 months ago

We could all use more "friends" like this!

Annotation 2023-05-19 062817 (resized).pngAnnotation 2023-05-19 062817 (resized).png
    #94 10 months ago

Yeah, none of that happened.

madbro (resized).jpgmadbro (resized).jpg
    #95 10 months ago

HAHA I ENJOY RIPPING OFF MY FRIENDS, TAKE THAT HATERS!

#96 10 months ago
    Quoted from G35R6:

We could all use more "friends" like this![quoted image]

Cyclone is actually worth ~$4K now?

#97 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Cyclone is actually worth ~$4K now?

And that's just the "friend" price. Apparently plenty of meat still left on the bone.

#98 10 months ago

I did unbelievably well with the first 8 pins I sold , but I got into pinball about 6 months before covid hit so I couldn’t have picked a better time .I could care less what anyone does with a game after I sell it .The only thing I care about is that I’m 100% honest when selling and I expect the same courtesy back when purchasing .I would imagine that most of us need to “hustle “ one way or another to build a row of pins so I get it .

#99 10 months ago
    Quoted from G35R6:

[quoted image]

Craigslist War's. Those are always fun.

#100 10 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Craigslist War's. Those are always fun.

Does it really count as a war when only one side is doing any fighting? Literally the extent of my participation in all of this was this thread. Dude keeps talking to himself in his own ad.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-feeling-you-get-to-see-someone-flipping-your-stuff/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.