(Topic ID: 338505)

The excitement of picking up your pinball machine

By Pinball1987

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Wether you ordered the machine from a dealer or buying a used one from someone , what is your level of excitement you get?

Today is the day either it is getting delivered or you are picking it up. How excited do you get and the days before?

I spoke to one guy who said about a week before picking up a pinball from a member on pinside he has trouble sleeping. The night before getting it he doesn’t sleep and while driving there he is so excited like a kid at toys r us ( before they closed for good ). So how excited do you get ??

#2 1 year ago

I remember as a kid in 1984 getting my first pinball delivered by Gary Southward and his dad of Southward Amusements.. I had to work as a busboy and couldnt wait to get home and play the game. Magical moment for sure.Stern Dracula

#3 1 year ago

I was already a few pins into my collection when I got my Centaur in 2016. Just like your friend, I didn't sleep at all the night before the pickup. It was all I could think about.

That level of excitement has waned a bit, but it's still there. These days I'll read everything about and watch every Youtube video about whatever the game is, even if it's not actually mine yet (like going to see one at an estate sale).

#4 1 year ago
    images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #5 1 year ago

I don't know about "exciting" anymore because I've been in the hobby for so long, but I still look forward to it.

My collection is pretty stable now, the only game I've really traveled to get in the past few years was a NIB GZ, about a 3 hour drive into Ohio. But before that I'd make a deal for a game out of state or even out of country (bought a couple in Canada) and I would wake up about 3am raring to go. If it's more than a few hundred miles we'd make a weekend out of it.

Nowadays pretty much my only purchases are deals that pop up locally that I can restore, play and eventually pass along, and those are few and far between lately.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Wether you ordered the machine from a dealer or buying a used one from someone , what is your level of excitement you get?
    Today is the day either it is getting delivered or you are picking it up. How excited do you get and the days before?
    I spoke to one guy who said about a week before picking up a pinball from a member on pinside he has trouble sleeping. The night before getting it he doesn’t sleep and while driving there he is so excited like a kid at toys r us ( before they closed for good ). So how excited do you get ??

even if i'm (back) in the hobby from more than 10 years, yes +1 about the fact having sleeping trouble once i have a deal and waiting for the D day
    surelly because we're all different, not only excitement, must also be linked to some stress, as you never sure all will go perfect...

#7 1 year ago

My wallet and my excitement have an inverse relationship to when a game comes home.

#8 1 year ago

I am waiting to get my first game still and I am getting pretty excited.

#9 1 year ago

Bought my first game at a show. My buddy and I didn’t realize we missed our exit on the turnpike. So excited didn’t notice till like 20 miles out.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Same here

#11 1 year ago

My first game, I got when my brother called me up asking me if I wanted to swing by that day to pick it up. Since it was a surprise, I didn’t have the same anticipation as the first game I’m actually waiting for, a NIB Foo Fighters.

That I’m obsessively watching videos for, checking my emails and stalking the What’s On The Line thread, all for the littlest bit of info on when I might be getting it. So yeah, I’m feeling it. XD

#12 1 year ago

No excitement, more trepidation that the machine may suffer damage via shipping.

Once the machine has been inspected and set up, I’m excited.

#13 1 year ago

I used to buy the games just for the road trips. Now, I just have them shipped. Traffic has gotten too bad.

Btw, like horses, pinball machines don’t like being alone.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

What is it?

#15 1 year ago

Pretty geeked to pick up a game today.
    I slept well, but was up early and all antsy.
    That makes it 28 here now, but I still get pretty jacked up every time.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

No excitement, more trepidation that the machine may suffer damage via shipping.
    Once the machine has been inspected and set up, I’m excited.

This is me all the way. My first NIB experience was a Godzilla that suffered pretty big shipping damage that took about 2 months to resolve. It all worked out in the end but I am just a bundle of nerves until it’s unpacked in my arcade.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

That feeling will stay with you each time you play your new game. After a while, once it’s become an established part of the decor, you’ll want to chase that rush again. Pretty soon, your house will be full of pins.

#18 1 year ago

Nothing compares to opening up the box of a new pin.

The smell of wood and fresh paint.

What an adrenaline rush.

Of course after you've done it hundreds of times. It isn't as exciting anymore.

You people new to this or getting your first NIB game. Enjoy it !

LTG : )

#19 1 year ago

Jurassic park pro , unless I see something else like roller coaster tycoon, Elvis before it ships

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Jurassic park pro , unless I see something else like roller coaster tycoon, Elvis before it ships

I absolutely refuse to believe this. I'd pay full price for JP Pro over getting both those games for free.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Nothing compares to opening up the box of a new pin.
    The smell of wood and fresh paint.
    What an adrenaline rush.
    Of course after you've done it hundreds of times. It isn't as exciting anymore.
    You people new to this or getting your first NIB game. Enjoy it !
    LTG : )

LTG is right. Make sure you stop and smell the pinball. To this day, that electrical/machine oil/grease smell inside of any EM game instantly takes me back to my grandparents den, and I'm playing the Mayfair that gave me the collection bug.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

RCT can be a pretty spectacular game. All the extended ramps are fun. If you could find a pristine example, it would be fun to own, but that said, you’d likely swap in a JP at some point over time anyway…. Keep in mind pinball machines are not always a forever purchase, so enjoy each machine you end up with. (Unboxing a NIB is an experience you should have on your bucket list too)

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Elvis is a great game. I'm not an Elvis fan by any means, I mean, I know a lot of his songs but who doesnt. I think its fun to shoot and I like the pink playfield, I think it is perfect for the game and era it's representing. I wish I'd bought one when you could get them for 2k.

#24 1 year ago

I used to be super excited. Now I just say “watch how much you are spending”.
    One of my new acquisitions is in the garage waiting to go into the game room still.

#25 1 year ago

Anyone excited for picking up a new pin this weekend?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

No

#27 1 year ago

I've been in this hobby for a very long time now but the thrill of a
    new (to me) pin is still pretty high. All of the machines I've bought
    over the years would be considered projects, some BIG projects
    and that adds not only the excitement but mystery of what I just
    bought.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Does unboxing a NIB (that I took delivery of a month ago but too busy to setup) count? LOL...

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from zarco:

All of the machines I've bought
    over the years would be considered projects, some BIG projects
    and that adds not only the excitement but mystery of what I just
    bought.

I can totally relate to the roller coaster ride of buying projects. When you first see pics- it always looks great-easy fixes.
    Then you look at it at the sellers house- you see a few problems, a little disappointment… but you still buy it.
    On the way home you figure how to fix everything in your head and are excited again.
    Getting it home and setting it up you notice even more stuff to fix- more work then you planned- but you can see the finished pin in your head.
    Everything always works out- and you learn new stuff with each pin- I love the hunt and always look forward to picking up a pin!

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Does unboxing a NIB (that I took delivery of a month ago but too busy to setup) count? LOL...

Which did you pick up and what’s taking so long Mark???

#31 1 year ago

Mike, cmon , what’s wrong do you want to txt me about what’s happening?

#32 1 year ago

Awesome a new machine!
    Fuck...those stairs look steep.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Which did you pick up and what’s taking so long Mark???

I grabbed a latest run JP-Premium but have some house projects eating up my weekends. I am afraid to open the JP box on it since there is 20 hours of time needed to put all the mods I have for it in. Maybe next weekend....

#34 1 year ago

I grabbed a latest run JP-Premium but have some house projects eating up my weekends. I am afraid to open the JP box on it since there is 20 hours of time needed to put all the mods I have for it in. Maybe next weekend....

Come on mark , get that pinball plugged in. Don’t make me buy it from you.

#35 1 year ago

Mark did you inbox it yet?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.