View topic image gallery

alice_smoke.gif
Vincent,_Ted,_Tyler,_Pastore.jpg
rollingStones_2373378b.jpg
distraction2.jpg
Distraction.jpg
jacksonoz.gif
mr-t-is-a-doctorlawyer-your-argument-i.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2 11 years ago

In short: he isn't a Stern. That's about it.

#4 11 years ago

Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man......these aren't age appropriate for kids? Are we taking these kids to the talkies? Put a 6 year old boy in front of an Avengers and a WOZ, side by side, and tell me where he sticks that quarter.

#6 11 years ago

Thou shalt not slander with opinions. JJP1:4

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Not down here in my part of the world (the "Bible belt"), for sure.

Agreed that ACDC isn't appropriate for little kids. I can even see TRON ruffling a Baptist's feathers (Damnit! and hotties in seductive pose). But X-Men, TF, Avatar and Avengers? Who shot who in the what, now?

#16 11 years ago

Yeah, the line of 6 year old girls wishing I had a pinball machine that spoke to them in the gameroom is literally wrapped around the side of the building. Josh S. (whoever that might be) would have had to ask women to play a Sex & the City pinball machine, too. I am just not buying this line. I'm not about to start scrap-booking or playing Bunco just because some innovator starts making Sopranos themed stuff.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Yeah, I don't know about how desirable the game of pinball is to the ladies. Over the years, the only females I've personally known to have any interest at all in the game was my Mother, a young lady I used to work with, Blondetall, and Blondetall's mom. No other woman or girl has seemed to care in the slightest. (Including my wife and 10-year-old daughter -- who absolutely LOVES The Wizard of Oz movie, but couldn't be bothered to check out pictures or videos of the pin when I was trying to show it to her.)

There is a demographic of women that can't be denied to exist. But I would venture to say that at the TPF a couple weeks back, the ratio of men to women was easily 4 to 1 in the favor of men. And virtually all of the women there were with their husbands/boyfriends. I do remember seeing one group of women, maybe 3 or 4, that were walking around by themselves. I recall them well because they were very noticeably the thing that was so unlike the others in the room. That said, maybe there is some genius is picking a theme that is a little more marketable to the few women that care. But I just can't believe that it is enough to move the needle. And I certainly don't give any credit to anyone for this being an innovation or breakthrough of some sort, in and of itself.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

creepy dude. keep that kinda stuff to yourself.

That's what we've been missing! The biggest moron on the boards to come in and be a big ol' moron. I love it when a story always ends the same. The circle is complete. You'll hopefully choke on the diet of low hanging fruit soon, and the grown men can have their conversations. But until then, go on and embarrass yourself some more...

#24 11 years ago

Seriously, I wasn't trying to be creepy talking about 6 year old girls. Dammit.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Paraphrasing doesn't count either.

1Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.

4“Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”

6They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” 8Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.

9When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

11“No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

That is pretty good. Parables are appropriate right now.

Mustard seed? Tares? Leaven?

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Didn't a bunch of Christians protest the New Living Translation as being *inaccurate* and "straight from hell?"
Well, that it explains that.
Nice try Gambit!

No. A few nutcases make a stink about any translation other than KJV - which isn't even the most literal translation that exists. The Westboro kind of asshats. What's your malfunction?

KJV:

1Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Since you believed the "translation" as being genuine, I guess you need to question *your* malfunction.

Can I question your *asterisk* use? Before you start in on this, do you know anything about the translation sources or history? Are you aware that the KJV is not the most literal Greek & Hebrew to English translation? Do you even know that it wasn't originally typed out in English? Which translations are on what part of the lieral vs. paraphrased continuum, and what are the real differences? Want to go down this road? I promise I know more about this than you do.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Oh, I'm fully aware of the story behind who changed the bible and why.
Using quotes from the New Living translation proves that *you* don't.
I've been doing classes & lectures on these sort of ambiguities over the last 20 years.
Since you know more than I do, why don't you school and an old man with a Ph.D in Theology.

How about we start with the fact that your avatar is a French depiction of Baphomet. And it frankly doesn't jibe with a doctor of theology. Being a fan of LaVey doesn't make you any kind of expert. I am sure that your list of ambiguities and translation issues is very novel.

...and you didn't apparently know that the KJV does in fact say what you said it does not.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...sooooo, how about those Mets?

Santana looks good to go.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gambit is an attorney and trained, very well, to argue.

The jig is up!

#64 11 years ago

I think some here actually get me, and know how much I love to poke bears with sticks. I live for this shit. My stress level rarely actually elevates. It's all sport. But sometimes I get a bone. JJP is one of those bones, based on what I perceived as a personal slight. I don't wish anyone failure or ill will to anyone (well virtually no one) here.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from tpellowe:

JJP's primary failure was inappropriately setting false expectations for delivery. I did not buy one / reserve one / make Jack a zero interest business loan, etc however I would have been pissed if I had. Hope the game is great and that JJP is a success, but there are a lot of Stern bashers out there and at least Stern delivers. JJP ran before they could walk.

Well said.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I knew there was a pussycat in there somewhere...

You annoy me.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

You sound like some of naive students. I used to believe the same way you do. Theology is the study of GOD. Theology seeks out true wisdom.
I don't support, nor do I teach Laveyanism or Satanism. These are foolish man made beliefs and are not religions. My Avatar has nothing to do with either.
I also don't don't support or teach atheism. This is also a foolish belief.
Still confused by my Avatar now with all of your silly assumptions?
You just showed me how little you really know about both sides.
Go play some pinball....

Boring. Look at my feathers. See how tall I am? I do and I do not? I say nothing and say everything. I know everything about you just by looking into your eyes, right? Blahblahblah.

Let me know when your next lecture is due. I am sure it will change my life.

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Gambit...which of your 8 games would you NEVER sell?

Tough question....

TRON for me
TAF (it's an HEP, and the nicest I have ever played) for my wife and daughter
HULK for my son

ACDC is going nowhere, though

#86 11 years ago

All day

#101 11 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Let it go gambit. It's not worth it. Remember the three things not to argue about..religion or in this case translations of scripture is one of the three.

Agreed. I just found it interesting that the guy that has been giving lectures for 20 years over Bible translations couldn't identify the translation.

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It was actually. He pointed out nothing but facts, as far as I read it. When I thumbs upped his post I noticed I wasn't the only one. Lol.

It got me my first ban vote, too! Thanks Abso!

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man, I wish we could've met up at TPF, lol. Silly. I've met people from all over, but the guys that live like 10 miles from me? They're like the freakin' Ninja Elite, LOL.
My wife was pretty much there of her own volition, I think she was more excited about TPF than I was, especially after load-in. I think next year, instead of taking three games, I'm going to take ONE, volunteer to help in the tourney area a bit, and just try to enjoy myself that way...this year....eh. I didn't play hardly anything I wanted to, got obsessed with Marc's dang awesome Safecracker.
More on topic though, I was impressed by the build quality of WOZ, but not the game itself. They need to just shut up or put up, but Jack just can't keep his yap closed. Playing the game with incomplete rules, broken code and broken multiballs was just a big fat yawnfest. Having to light locks by shooting *rollover* star targets? Really? BLARGH.

I walked up and down your line of games several time, trying to figure out which one was you. I was around Marc's area a lot of the time Saturday. We probably saw each other all weekend and didn't know it.I bounced from Marc to Kim to Craig and around the gameroom.

I used my tournament card to get two games on WOZ to myself. It was beautiful and seemed solid. My tastes have evolved toward faster games, and it reminded me of TZ and TSPP, so I am not the best judge of gameplay for this kind of game right now. There was a lot to do, and I didn't have nearly enough time to understand everything I was doing in those two games. I was surprised at how nice the standard version looked, and would be just fine owning that one vs. the LE. I suspect that one will make its way through my gameroom at some point, if nothing else just to look at.

#120 11 years ago

Don't you two make a cute couple?

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I know *my* translation (KJV).
You couldn't even state your source.

Lolwut?

#125 11 years ago

Oh boy. Here we go. Gnostics. There goes the neighborhood.

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Gambit and I have that in common. We poke sticks for fun at people that should be able to take it. You gotta be able to take as good as you give. Of course the bible thumpers have some problems there...which when you think about it, is about as ironic as irony gets.

Have I ever come off as a Bible thumper? Definitely not. I do know a lot about the translation process, and how and why what got in there did. I also know when someone is made of straw and can be blown over in a stiff wind. I don't care for the smell of any farts, however. Not even my own.

#129 11 years ago

So do your nose and butt.

5.5 from the French judge.

#133 11 years ago

IDK, you're quoting scripture on a pinball site and arguing with someone on translations etc. wouldn't surprise me...but no, you don't come off as a bible thumper generally. Jules is best known for quoting a (fake?) Bible passage...so you've gotta sense of humor about it at least. Id know more about theBible myself but I'm more into non-fiction myself. I do think translations arguments are kind of moronic considering that 1,500 years ago the Bible was engineered to the tastes of the those in charge and everything else that had been considered scripture until then abandoned, destroyed or discredited.
Id rather argue about whose deserving of a WWF title since its all made up to begin with. At least with the WWF no one but the wrestlers get injured...unless you doubt the buffoons that pay to watch that garbage.

I fully agree that this isn't the place for theological discussion. Magic Mike threw the first silly jab about it, and was wrong from word one about the very translation he apparently found in a bunker under a Turkish city, surprisingly written in the King's English of the late Middle Ages. My only committment was to show what was there, not weigh in on its validity.

#137 11 years ago

I went to New Zealand a few years back, and thus am a Maori.

I once met Michael Jordan.

I have Flea's cellphone number in my phone.

I attended a lecture given by Alan Dershowitz once.

I have a picture of myself standing next to Tigger at Disney World.

I was attack by a German Shepherd when I was 5 and had to have surgery on my face and rabies shots.

I read a good third of Infinite Jest before giving up.

....what are these lists for, again?

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

How many Turkish stamps are in your passport?
I see that you like Samuel L. Jackson. How many African stamps are in your passport?

What are you talking about? You make little to no sense. Are you maybe having a stroke?

Samuel L. Jackson was born in Washington D.C. I can PM you a map.

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from Stuartm:

I've been to two Alen Dershowitz lectures! Does that multiply my bonus?

But have you ever been to Duesenberg during Marti Gras? Or dug a hole in the sands of my mother's side yard? He's held the tiki that caused Greg Brady to wipe out on his surf board! Have you????

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from Spyder777:

All that and you don't like the smell of farts? Not sure how you got Flea's # then. I call BS on that.

I don't know him. Just worked out a contract situation with a friend that was doing a big event for him. She knows him well, and says he is extremely normal and cool.

#154 11 years ago
Quoted from Stuartm:

Is duesenberg actually a place...not just a car or a guitar? And if not, how would this effect the festivities?

Sir, today is not the day to start making sense.

#171 11 years ago

It's pretty funny, now, that Brian Kelly was name dropped in that long post by Jack yesterday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-evangelisation-of-jersey-jack-and-wizard-of-oz?tu=gambit3113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.