(Topic ID: 299264)

The EM Score Keeper, An EM Pinball MOD (OLED Displays)

By ThePinScientist

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6625 (resized).jpeg
    A1C3AF3A-689A-40FA-ABCF-C57530FCD887 (resized).jpeg
    75C6E7E1-0107-4D3F-AA4D-EC02CBB4C72D (resized).JPG
    IMG_3071 (resized).jpg
    EM Score Keeper Custom picture of pinside (resized).png
    web (resized).png
    OLED Display NEW (resized).jpg
    6 (resized).png
    5 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Old EM Pinball Machines never could save high scores. Sure, you could use a post-it on it, take a picture, or carve it into the cab but that's not fun and it doesn't look the best. I've developed the first integrated score keeper mod for EM Pinball Machines.

This kit allows any pinball machine to save your high scores directly to the pinball machine, using the pin's own flipper buttons and coin return button to set your high scores. No soldering. No re-wiring. No stress. It's simple, inexpensive, and easy to install.

This was created originally for EM pinball machines (because they couldn't save high scores) but there are other pins that could use this as well. Pinball is a social, competitive game. Your high scores should be displayed for others (and yourself) to challenge! It's a non-intrusive, integrated mod that nicely displays and saves your high scores (and initials) within your pinball machine's apron. No soldering, no re-wiring, no hassle. Easy to install.

How to Install:

Included in this kit:
    1 x OLED (BLUE or WHITE text options--decide at checkout)
    1 x Microprocessor w/ Cable
    1 x White, Long Cord
    1 x Set of Display Card Inserts
    1 x USB Mini B Cord
    1 x USB Wall Charger
    5 x Adjustable Cable Clips w/ Optional Screws
    2 x Leaf Switches with Plastic Insulator
    4 x 1 ½” Leaf Switch Screw
    1 x Microswitch
    1 x Outlet

Located in Lakeville, MN, but I can also ship!

UPDATE: ***The input cords are no longer coiled to reduce EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) with ungrounded EM Pinball Machines. ***These kits no longer come with an extra metal push button because 99% of people don't use them--instead they use the included microswitch and their pin's coin return button. If you need an additional push button, please contact us.

Located in Lakeville, MN, but I can ship anywhere!

Pinside Store Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1343-the-em-scientist

Please let me know if you have any questions, feedback, or if you'd like to see more!

OLED Display NEW (resized).jpgOLED Display NEW (resized).jpg6 (resized).png6 (resized).png5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpgweb (resized).pngweb (resized).pngEM Score Keeper Custom picture of pinside (resized).pngEM Score Keeper Custom picture of pinside (resized).pngIMG_3071 (resized).jpgIMG_3071 (resized).jpg75C6E7E1-0107-4D3F-AA4D-EC02CBB4C72D (resized).JPG75C6E7E1-0107-4D3F-AA4D-EC02CBB4C72D (resized).JPG
    #2 2 years ago

This is so badass.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

This is so badass.

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. It's been a long road trying to perfect the product to what it is today. I think users will be very happy with the results.

It'll have both models (OLED and LCD) installed on 1970s pins to be on display at 2D Con in Minneapolis this weekend (8/27/21-8/29/21). It will be exciting to see who can make the leaderboards on these cabinets. If nothing else, it will give me something to compete with when I bring them back home!

#4 2 years ago

That’s pretty cool! The coiled wire is not my favorite placement though. I would probably get a 6 footer to run all the way to the back of the playfield and down the existing harness bundle and then along the bottom score motor harness to the front. It would just allow more natural ability to raise and work on the machine while having this mod installed.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That’s pretty cool! The coiled wire is not my favorite placement though. I would probably get a 6 footer to run all the way to the back of the playfield and down the existing harness bundle and then along the bottom score motor harness to the front. It would just allow more natural ability to raise and work on the machine while having this mod installed.

Thanks for the feedback, Isochronic. Hearing from the community has been so valuable.

This is definitely something I could include as an option. If you message me ahead of time before ordering, I can make that adjustment to your order, if you'd like. Not a problem, and definitely something to think about for future modifications to the product.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinScientist:

Thanks for the feedback, Isochronic. Hearing from the community has been so valuable.
    This is definitely something I could include as an option. If you message me ahead of time before ordering, I can make that adjustment to your order, if you'd like. Not a problem, and definitely something to think about for future modifications to the product.

I noticed that you commented on that other thread for the old “EM scorekeeper” mod. That was really neat that it detected the score via optos. My favorite is that it will show “score to beat” much like JJP’s do. That motivated me to GC a GNR I saw on location since I knew exactly how much was needed to crush the competition!

Is there anyway way to come up with a future one that reads the positions of the score reels? I know they only have a “zero” position that is how the game resets, but wasn’t sure if there was a way to read the other 8 positions via the existing hardware.
    Right now yours is the simplest, easiest, just a matter of players have to be honest!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I noticed that you commented on that other thread for the old “EM scorekeeper” mod. That was really neat that it detected the score via optos. My favorite is that it will show “score to beat” much like JJP’s do. That motivated me to GC a GNR I saw on location since I knew exactly how much was needed to crush the competition!
    Is there anyway way to come up with a future one that reads the positions of the score reels? I know they only have a “zero” position that is how the game resets, but wasn’t sure if there was a way to read the other 8 positions via the existing hardware.
    Right now yours is the simplest, easiest, just a matter of players have to be honest!

This was something I looked into, but not something I offer at this time. Maybe it will be available as an option in the near future. I have a lot of ideas that I'm excited to add to our store as some point.

If the user is worried about players entering non-honest scores, there is an option to place the "Enter New Score" button to the locked interior coin door.

Nice work on the GC on GNR! Such an amazing table!

1 week later
    #8 2 years ago

Our kits now include a free service outlet with t-tap clips for easy installation.

3 months later
    #9 2 years ago

UPDATE to our product were made...

***The input cords are no longer coiled to reduce EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) with ungrounded EM Pinball Machines.
    ***These kits no longer come with an extra metal push button because 99% of people don't use them--instead they use the included microswitch and their pin's coin return button. If you need an additional push button, please contact us.
    ***We also only offer the OLED displays because they can be installed on any pinball machine. The LCD models required a 3"x1" opening in the apron. OLED models were purchased far more often than LCD models anyway. Good bye LCDs. Hello OLEDs!

No need to check your aprons before purchasing either. The OLED displays will fit in any apron! Blue or white text OLED display models are still available.

2 months later
    #10 2 years ago

This is very cool

1 month later
    #11 2 years ago

Someone really wanted the LCD model, so I did a small batch of them. If you have a Williams or another pin with a 1”x3” opening on the apron (behind instruction card), I have a few left! Photos can be seen here:

https://www.theemscorekeeper.com/product/lcd-display-em-score-keeper-this-model-fits-most-williams-and-zaccaria-not-compatible-with-gottlieb-aprons-/2?cs=true&cst=custom

We also added an easy disconnect option (add-on) for easy disconnection for removing the playfield, if needed.

A1C3AF3A-689A-40FA-ABCF-C57530FCD887 (resized).jpegA1C3AF3A-689A-40FA-ABCF-C57530FCD887 (resized).jpeg
    1 year later
    #12 6 months ago

Are these still available? Saw a machine with one at the York show this weekend, but it looks like the website is defunct?

#13 6 months ago

Hello!

I just restocked this last friday after being sold out for 6 months. Which site are you using?

Here is the direct link:
    https://www.thepinballscientist.com/product/the-em-score-keeper-with-oled-display/38

Be sure to check out my other products. I will also have the EM Attract Mod available in the next few days.

Tanner

#14 6 months ago

Oh excellent! I was trying theemscorekeeper.com.
    Thanks!

#15 6 months ago

That was our old site address. I started offering more products and thought I should change the site to something that made more sense for the whole business..

ThePinballScientist.com is our new site.

I’ll be at Expo in Chicago again this year. I’ll be bringing all of our products there too. I’ll also bring the Acrylic Pinball Cabinet.

-Tanner

#17 6 months ago

We’ll have a limited stock of the LCD model (only works with Williams and Zaccaria EMs) EM Score Keepers available too. They’ll be available online this week.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-score-keeper-an-em-pinball-mod-oled-or-lcd-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.