IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
Roller_over_Insert.jpeg

#1 8 years ago

I've temporarily got two of the 1-3/16" roll over inserts out of my 1958 Sunshine playfield I'm restoring. I know these are hard to come by, and I've seen posts more than a year old for people looking for these. I'm wondering if someone with some ingenuity might be able to take one of mine and perhaps scan it somehow to make 3D printer versions of these? I know they'd have to be painted, but still, it's better than nothing. Just trying to help out those in need.
MurphyRoller over Insert.jpegRoller over Insert.jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Murphy,

This part would look 'ringed' if printed using a 3d printer. It would require a bit of sanding and then possibly painting as you suggest. I produce the bank-a-ball animated ball flags for PBResource using epoxy resin / silicone mold techniques. Makes a virtually perfect copy of the item and does not need to be painted. I can't quite tell but it appears those are translucent. It would be a challenge to match the color/translucency exactly but I could try.

PM me if you want me to make you some copies ..

Mike V.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Murphy,
This part would look 'ringed' if printed using a 3d printer. It would require a bit of sanding and then possibly painting as you suggest. I produce the bank-a-ball animated ball flags for PBResource using epoxy resin / silicone mold techniques. Makes a virtually perfect copy of the item and does not need to be painted. I can't quite tell but it appears those are translucent. It would be a challenge to match the color/translucency exactly but I could try.
PM me if you want me to make you some copies ..
Mike V.

Mike I'll be glad to send you one if anyone out there needs a copy. Let's see if there is still a need. Then again, you could always make a mold to have one hand.

#4 8 years ago

Murphy,

I pm-ed you my address if you want to follow through. Would you or anyone else now what other models/makes this was used for.

Mike V.

#5 8 years ago

They are not translucent, but that old 'marbled' type of plastic (in different colors). Gottlieb used this style of rollover button in tons of games from the 50's and 60's, prior to switching to the 'star' rollover style. PBR has the buttons, but not the inserts.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

They are not translucent, but that old 'marbled' type of plastic (in different colors). Gottlieb used this style of rollover button in tons of games from the 50's and 60's, prior to switching to the 'star' rollover style. PBR has the buttons, but not the inserts.

Mike gave us the idea of casting in Silicone rubber and then making molds out of Resin - instead of 3D printing. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner - as I work with West System 105 year round doing wooden sailboat renovation on the side. My wife is a crafty stay at home mom - and is a genius using Platinum Silicone Rubber castings. So we're going to try and knock off a couple and cast them in red.

#7 8 years ago

We all have our own love/hate relationship with PBR but here's another item that it would be good if you produced enough to stock Steve. Or is he gun shy after the BaB balls

#8 8 years ago

I need one of these parts for a 1961 Williams Space Ship. On this game they are translucent white in color and only 1-1/8" in diameter. I'm up for either a used original or a repro. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I need one of these parts for a 1961 Williams Space Ship. On this game they are translucent white in color and only 1-1/8" in diameter. I'm up for either a used original or a repro.

You sir, will be my first Guinea Pig.
I'll try to cast yours white, and it will have "some" translucent nature.

Here's the deal. Mine are in so-so condition. Kinda shrunken and concave around the sides. So what I'm doing is taking my best one to my machine shop. We're mic'ing out the "true" measurements. We're going to cut and polish one out of brass to exactly what the true measurements should be. Then I'm going to test fit it into my Sunshine. Once we've confirmed it's a perfect fit, we're going to use the brass piece as our casting hero. Be patient. I will get this done. If it works, my plan is just to ask folks like you for postage.
Murphy

#10 8 years ago

Murphy - good luck with this endeavor. Don't be afraid to charge something should the results be positive.

2 weeks later
#11 8 years ago

Well, I got the "Hero" part made which will act as my piece to mold. IMG_0691.JPGIMG_0691.JPG

#12 8 years ago

I made the walls thicker as there will be no reinforcements around the interior circumference. I plan on casting in EPOXY resin, and NOT Polyester resin. I think Polyester is too stiff and would "possibly" chip over time. I'm taking the Gottlieb approach - over design it so that it will last 50 years. Epoxy resin materials are designed to bond well, especially when using epoxy to cement the part to a different material structure - like wood. IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0693.JPG

#13 8 years ago

The original parts were funny shaped. You can see it in this picture. They were both SHORTER than what they needed to be, they were both concave on their sidewalls (thus shorter), and both were proper diameter at the bottom and VERY loose at the top. IMG_0692.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

#14 8 years ago

Here is the original back in the hole. It's fits the same in either hole on Sunshine. EXTREMELY loose and 1/16" too low. I've built the brass mold part to fit snugly in either hole with only thumb pressure needed to insert all the way.

IMG_0688.jpgIMG_0688.jpg

#15 8 years ago

I've decided the leave the Brass Mold Part "very slightly" tall. In the "OFF" hole the southern pole was slightly raised, while the northern pole was perfect. In the "ON" hole it was slightly raised 360° (about 1/128"). This fitting was after making sure all remnants of glue were removed without enlarging the hole. My thinking is that people can SAND the bottom a little for a custom fit on a resin cast part. Just use a piece of 320 grit and flat surface. I have to guess that every Gottlieb playfield as they stand today have slightly different tolerances, plus the holes might not have been routed perfectly level.

Next Up, making the mold. Hang in there with me. It might be towards the end of this month as I'm crazy busy.
Murphy

IMG_0690.jpgIMG_0690.jpg

#16 8 years ago

I coukd use a couple if you decide to sell them

#17 8 years ago

Those original 50's plastic inserts shrink, which I think is what causes the odd shape/fit with them now. Looks very much like the right direction to restore them to closer to original size/fit.

4 years later
#18 3 years ago

MurphyPeoples just wanted to check if you were able to reproduce these and had any for sale. Was looking for a white one for a Beatniks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-elusive-1950s-gottlieb-1-316-insert-for-rollover-buttons?hl=slghokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.