2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fantasygoat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The dumbest post ever...”

• Mall-tea 25 votes
      76%
    • Mall-dee 2 votes
      6%
    • Mall-tie 7 votes
      21%

(Multiple choice - 33 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th_(resized).jpg
    the_neighbor_(resized).jpg
    maltin_(resized).png

#1 2 years ago

As shameful as I am to admit this, I have been watching tons of tournament footage on PAPAtv which I have been really enjoying! While watching the various footage from different events, with a wide range of announcers/players calling the event (Bowin by far being the most enjoyable and engaging to listen to in my opinion) the announcers in these pinball tourneys always seem to say - "mall-dee" ball VS "mall-tie" or even "mall-tea" ball. "Mall-tie" or "mall-tea" I pompously believe are the more proper and accurate pronunciations, although a quick Google search has turned up different pronunciations from a number of different yet reputable sources with at least 4 or 5 variations having said to be correct. I in fact would venture to say that "mall-tie" or "mall-tea" are by far the most common pronunciation for the word: multi, but the pinball announcing world apparently would beg to differ. Which do you say? Which do you believe is the more proper variation? Has anyone else noticed the variation and often strange pronunciations of the word "multi" exclusively in pinball when it comes to the phrase "multi ball"?

*Additionally I have added a pole to get a more precise idea of which is the most common pronunciation.

#2 2 years ago

Yep, pretty lame post bro...

.... you should be banned

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

Yep, pretty lame post bro...
    .... you should be banned

+1

#5 2 years ago

Sub forum eject?

#6 2 years ago

I will never understand why some choose to voice their personal displeasure with someone's benign post rather than post on a thread they like and can actually add something beneficial and positive to.

There are certain sad individuals on this site whom I can't help but pity and also wish they kept away from constantly poisoning discussions amongst people (including themselves) who are unified by the passion and common interest we all share.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrewAVL:

I will never understand why some choose to voice their personal displeasure with someone's benign post rather than post on a thread they like and can actually add something beneficial and positive to.

It was probably a joke (I hope so) and you won't get a ban for that...

... and this is not even as dumb as suggested by the thread title.
    Not all pinsiders have English as their first language (Tell me about it!) so the information may actually be useful to some.

#8 2 years ago

so kidding bro. dont read too much into it.

#9 2 years ago

I didn't vote in the poll, because you don't even have "mull tee" (for multi) as a choice.
    I don't agree with any of the 3 choices listed in the poll. None seem correct to me.

Also, your poll doesn't even have a poll question. It only has choices listed.
    I'm going to give you a grade of D on your poll.

No big deal. It's just pinball.

#10 2 years ago

I don't know about multi-ball pronunciation, but anyone caught saying "chopping wood" should immediately be beaten unconscious with a piece of chopped wood.

#11 2 years ago

in 'tales of the Arabian nights' it says: mole tea ball

Quoted from TOK:

anyone caught saying "chopping wood"

chopping wood

in Holland we say "core-net-beeef " for 'corned beef ' and "joe-say-might" for 'Yosemite'

#12 2 years ago

I'm obsesssed with watching all those vids too!!

#13 2 years ago

"Corben Dallas. Multi (mull-tee) pass."

Case closed.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrewAVL:

*Additionally I have added a pole to get a more precise idea of which is the most common pronunciation.

I've added a pole to make this thread more interesting

#16 2 years ago

+1 for mull tee. Or sometimes I just say, "balls equaling greater than one are coming... Wahooo!"

#17 2 years ago

I must say, this is becoming a "best post ever" candidate. There is a mall-dee-tude of good comedy here.

#18 2 years ago

Lol, interesting post, I don't think it qualifies as the dumbest ever, either. What happened to "multi" or "mull-t"? As in multiple? More than one ball? "Mall(s)" could work, but they need more pinball arcades featuring multiball.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Not all pinsiders have English as their first language

Not all Americans seem to have English as their first language either

Obviously it's Mull - Tee, that's how it's pronounced in English, don't know about American

#20 2 years ago

Tri-ball!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

don't know about American

Well, in today's America, we probably should start more being politically correct and socially accommodating by including the Spanish translation, "multi-bola".

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

"Corben Dallas. Multi (mull-tee) pass."
    Case closed.

That's a great quote from 5th Element lol

#23 2 years ago

Yeah, it's "mull" like Martin Mull. Not "mall" like where one goes shopping. MULL-TEE-BALL !!!

#24 2 years ago

Newer generation will say Mull-tie, as in Mull-tie-player console games (watch any console game review video). Drives me nuts. It's just wrong. Mull-tea is the only way. Kids today... and their music... (I'm practicing. Got another 10 years or so before I can pull this off)

#25 2 years ago

Been known to shout Eeee-Beee, uh Extra Ball, so why not Mmmm-Bee.

#26 2 years ago

You beat me to it. Back in the day when B/W wouldn't let anyone else use Multiball, some interesting names came about. Alvin G's terminology for it ended up being Mega Mode.

#27 2 years ago

I always say "moldy ball" i got it from one of the announcers on a PAPA video as well. I cant remember which year or round, but it was when mustang was the newest game and lyman and a few others are playing it. I know he wasnt trying to be funny i think it was just his accent, he really emphasises the "moldy".

if playing a data east game with "m" ball, me and a few of the dudes will tip our imaginary fedoras and politely congratulate our fellow player with a cordial m' ball.

#28 2 years ago

Leonard approves of this Maltin-ball.

maltin_(resized).png

#29 2 years ago

You mean the business in the front/party in the back ball ? Woo doggie I love it when em gits lit up !
    the_neighbor_(resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

so kidding bro. dont read too much into it.

Thumbs down for use of "bro" instead of "bra".

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Thumbs down for use of "bro" instead of "bra".

That's tough; but fair.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from DrewAVL:

There are certain sad individuals on this site whom I can't help but pity and also wish they kept away from constantly poisoning discussions amongst people (including themselves) who are unified by the passion and common interest we all share.

Relax. You're the one who trolled with the titillating thread title. If you would have titled it "What is the correct pronunciation of multi?", you'd be talking to yourself.

#33 2 years ago

This is how I pronounce it.

th_(resized).jpg

#34 2 years ago

I think you should start doing podcasts and this should be the first topic....

#35 2 years ago

Yeah, the poll doesn't even have the correct "mull-tea" listed. Fail.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.50
    $ 110.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
    $ 15.00
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 55.00
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 149.00
    $ 199.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside