IMG_6855 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6834 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2546 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
29DD56B2-6510-4CD7-9AAE-AF4233D1F3DC (resized).jpeg
581A6A61-76BA-4286-B57B-44BB693FB074 (resized).jpeg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

After hearing the sad news of Neil Peart’s passing and seeing all the posts in his thread, I noticed that there are quite a few of us that share his passion for the drums. So I’m starting this thread for a place to show off your kits and gear, favorite drummers, best videos, or anything else drum and percussion related. I’ll start by showing my TD4 and TD9 combined v-drum kit. What are you guys ripping on?

A3380657-36E8-406B-B906-481471C94610 (resized).jpegA3380657-36E8-406B-B906-481471C94610 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

This isn't you, is it?
My favorite drum cover of this very difficult masterpiece by Bill Bruford and YES. He nails it!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

This isn't you, is it?
My favorite drum cover of this very difficult masterpiece by Bill Bruford and YES. He nails it!

Damn, I wish that I could do that!

#4 4 years ago

The kit looked similar.

#6 4 years ago

Damn, that Joe Morello is outstanding. But let's not forget the GOAT (love ya Neil).

#7 4 years ago

Buddy was the man for sure. Gene Krupa too. It’s amazing how they could rip like that in fucking suits. I feel like I’m wearing a straight jacket when I’m suited up.

#8 4 years ago

My dad was a drummer. He turned me on to Gene Krupa, his favorite.

#9 4 years ago

Have you seen Terry Bozzio's kit? Truly amazing as well!!

100_0222_copy (resized).jpg100_0222_copy (resized).jpgterrybozzio (resized).jpgterrybozzio (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

Drum battle of the Century !

#11 4 years ago
km-67_picsoflilykit_whocoll (resized).jpgkm-67_picsoflilykit_whocoll (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago

I’m not really a drummer, just a guitarist - but I play in a band with a great one. Great, bombastic drummers have always been my preference. I didn’t want to believe Rush was over when Neil retired in 2015. Now I guess I have to believe it. Something wrong with the universe today.

Let’s see some more kits and demos! And get some of these young kids into rock music again!

#13 4 years ago

Nice setup! I’m still using my Tama acoustic set and Yamaha DTXpress circa 2001. Pearts passing really blows. Definitely one of the best to ever take the throne. Dude is a legend. Would’ve paid a fortune to see a drum off between him and Danny Carey

#14 4 years ago

Speaking of Danny Carey.......shit vid quality but still good. This guys limb independence is awesome.

#15 4 years ago

Been playing for years, played in a couple of bands, one for almost 10 years and saw Rush many times will definitely miss Neil. Bonham my favorite hence bonzo part of my aviator name but rather than the classic moby dick vid I offer this one with 3 of my favorites

#16 4 years ago

Top Secret Drum Corps. Always loved a good drumline

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not really a drummer, just a guitarist - but I play in a band with a great one. Great, bombastic drummers have always been my preference. I didn’t want to believe Rush was over when Neil retired in 2015. Now I guess I have to believe it. Something wrong with the universe today.
Let’s see some more kits and demos! And get some of these young kids into rock music again!

Same for me, I (sort of) play guitar, and for me it was always about the guitar for years going way back. And while this is obvious to many, I am recently finally realizing that all the great “guitar” music I was in love with all those years was really only good because of the drums behind it. The drummer is not jut sitting there banging a rhythm for some background noise. Just as a few examples, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, all had amazing drummers. Typically these days when I am listening to all that old music my ear is tuning in to the drums (and bass also) instead of the guitar, and, and marveling at what I am hearing. Also, realizing that without the drums, these songs mostly would generally suck and devolve into the wanking of the guitars.

So now I like looking at those clips of Buddy Rich and all the others and enjoying those. Also, while quite a bit of the rock oriented music is set to a standard type of beat like 4/4 and I can kind of get it, there are plenty of songs with different drumming, for example, something like 5/4 which I don’t really understand. And then, there’s all that metal stuff.

If anyone has good links for learning the basics about how drumming actually works I’d like to see them.

There are some fairly popular songs that I have noticed have an odd beat structure that I just can’t figure out, I’ll try to remember some of those and ask you drumming wizards how it works.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Same for me, I (sort of) play guitar, and for me it was always about the guitar for years going way back. And while this is obvious to many, I am recently finally realizing that all the great “guitar” music I was in love with all those years was really only good because of the drums behind it. The drummer is not jut sitting there banging a rhythm for some background noise. Just as a few examples, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, all had amazing drummers. Typically these days when I am listening to all that old music my ear is tuning in to the drums (and bass also) instead of the guitar, and, and marveling at what I am hearing. Also, realizing that without the drums, these songs mostly would generally suck and devolve into the wanking of the guitars.
So now I like looking at those clips of Buddy Rich and all the others and enjoying those. Also, while quite a bit of the rock oriented music is set to a standard type of beat like 4/4 and I can kind of get it, there are plenty of songs with different drumming, for example, something like 5/4 which I don’t really understand. And then, there’s all that metal stuff.
If anyone has good links for learning the basics about how drumming actually works I’d like to see them.
There are some fairly popular songs that I have noticed have an odd beat structure that I just can’t figure out, I’ll try to remember some of those and ask you drumming wizards how it works.

Heres a taste of a trickier time signature beat and how it breaks down

#19 4 years ago

WTF, I could never learn that in a thousand years lol. I watched several of his vids already, this is great, this will occupy me for some time going through his channel.

Now here is one of the songs I was listening to and then decided to decipher the signature: Call Me by Blondie, I have no idea what is going on there.

Also, a few years back I saw Blondie at a Jack radio concert. The drummer ended one of the songs with a smashing solo that lasted about 30 seconds or so, it was one of the most amazing things I ever heard at a concert. I presume it was Clem Burke although I don’t know for sure.

#20 4 years ago

Two classic drum solos from the psychedelic 60's -

Michael Shrieve with Santana at Woodstock:

Ron Bushy solo from Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida":

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Two classic solos that I love from the groovy 60's:

Hell yeah, man! I’ve probably seen that Woodstock video over 100 times. Never gets old. He killed it!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Hell yeah, man! I’ve probably seen that Woodstock video over 100 times. Never gets old. He killed it!

That of course is classic, in fact the entire band just killed it, including Carlos Santana wrangling that snake. Just an all around great performance for the ages.

There is a history there with the concert film footage and the subsequent record album that was put out. It is somewhat well-known that the beginning part of the video with the no rain chant actually occurred on a different day from the Santana set. But there were also some sort of shenanigans played with the performance on the record album, I think pieces of it were substituted from a performance different than Woodstock. I forget the details but as I recall it the drum solo doesn’t sound the same when between the original movie footage and the album recording.

#23 4 years ago

For anyone old enough that they originally enjoyed the early ZZ Top albums on their quadraphonic stereo setups, you probably were appalled at the horrific editing of the drum tracks in subsequent CD releases. You might enjoy this web page. I have replaced all of my ZZ Top songs with his versions. This is nice work, sort of like Star Wars Despecialized.

http://deege.free.fr/zztop/

#25 4 years ago

I always liked ELP also, nice.

There aren't many fat drummers are there

How about the InAGaddaDaVida video just above? I'm pretty sure that is all lip-synced to the original recording so to speak. It does look pretty much like he is playing but there were a few parts that didn't look right to me. A real drummer might be able to tell better. That was the usual way they went with videos in that era from what I have seen. If you watch the whole video, the whole thing sounds exactly like the recording plus the singer is magically singing with no mic. Not to take away from those guys, they were great and this song is great, its just the way it was done then. I listened to this song constantly way back in 19blahblahblah.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I always liked ELP also, nice.
There aren't many fat drummers are there
How about the InAGaddaDaVida video just above? I'm pretty sure that is all lip-synced to the original recording so to speak. It does look pretty much like he is playing but there were a few parts that didn't look right to me. A real drummer might be able to tell better. That was the usual way they went with videos in that era from what I have seen. If you watch the whole video, the whole thing sounds exactly like the recording plus the singer is magically singing with no mic. Not to take away from those guys, they were great and this song is great, its just the way it was done then. I listened to this song constantly way back in 19blahblahblah.

You are correct about Ron Bushy.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My dad was a drummer. He turned me on to Gene Krupa, his favorite.

Krupa was hot during my dad's youth, but I still dig him too!

Quoted from JayDee:

Top Secret Drum Corps. Always loved a good drumline

My youngest son was a high school drum major as well as a high school/college percussionist. My wife and I attended A LOT of marching band performances and competitions as a result, but we never got tired of them as some of the bands were just so great to watch as well as hear!

Drumming side note FWIW: That same son is now an aspiring singer/guitarist and has told me that apparently, quality drummers are hard to find in the Seattle music scene at least.

#28 4 years ago

DW Stainless Steel. Ludwig Classic Maple. Gretsch Renown Maple.

RIP Neil. Best Prog Rock drummer ever. Just a wonderful person.

All kits have basically the same sizes in various depths. 10, 13, 16, 18, 24.

Snares are 6.5 Mapex Sledgehammer (favorite), Two Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig aluminum, Rogers Dynasonic COB.
20191103_133532 (resized).jpg20191103_133532 (resized).jpg

Added over 4 years ago:

No longer have Ludwig Supraphonic.

Added over 3 years ago:

DW Super Solid maple replaced the Ludwig Supraphonic.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

For anyone old enough that they originally enjoyed the early ZZ Top albums on their quadraphonic stereo setups, you probably were appalled at the horrific editing of the drum tracks in subsequent CD releases. You might enjoy this web page. I have replaced all of my ZZ Top songs with his versions. This is nice work, sort of like Star Wars Despecialized.
http://deege.free.fr/zztop/

That is amazing!! The Beard lives!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

RIP Neil. Best Prog Rock drummer ever. Just a wonderful person.[quoted image]

Nice setups. Which one is your favorite?

#31 4 years ago

I have always been partial to bands with 2 drummers
Dead and Allman Bros

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Nice setups. Which one is your favorite?

DW Stainless is awesome and is my favorite. Four month wait to get them. I had a Ludwig stainless kit in the 70's (Carl Palmer).

Ludwig is the best sounding kit. Thin shell maple. Aquarian Classic Clear heads top and bottom.

I always wanted a white marine pearl kit. Beautiful finish.

#33 4 years ago

I like jazz-rock music. Steve Gadd is my favorite drummer.
I also like John Guerin and Harvey Mason and several others. Dave Weckl is pretty good, too.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Have you seen Terry Bozzio's kit? Truly amazing as well!![quoted image][quoted image]

I saw Terry three times. Amazing!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I also like John Guerin and Harvey Mason and several others. Dave Weckl is pretty good, too.

Steve Gadd is The Master! Met him at Dale's Drum Shop. Great man. Humble.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Dave Weckl is “PRETTY GOOD”?!?! Even I know his limb independence is unmatched. And I even had to look up what “limb independence”means!

#37 4 years ago

I saw Dave with Danny Serafine and Steve Smith. Dave is a magician!

#38 4 years ago

Yes, Dave Weckl is really good. I just hold it against him that he had the much older Steve Gadd as a guest musician on one of his CDs and "so you could tell their drumming apart" had Gadd play using brushes while Weckl used sticks. Great drummer but a dick move. Of course, Gadd can make anything sound good, like when he played "boxes" on a cut of the first Rickie Lee Jones CD.

#39 4 years ago

And now for something completely different. Nyango Star

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Yes, Dave Weckl is really good. I just hold it against him that he had the much older Steve Gadd as a guest musician on one of his CDs and "so you could tell their drumming apart" had Gadd play using brushes while Weckl used sticks. Great drummer but a dick move. Of course, Gadd can make anything sound good, like when he played "boxes" on a cut of the first Rickie Lee Jones CD.

LOL did not know about that. Apparently he’s not heard the Roach vs Rich album where you ABSOLUTELY can tell the difference

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

RIP Neil. Best Prog Rock drummer ever. Just a wonderful person.[quoted image]

Very cool sets!
I have a Gretsch renown maple also.
20200111_145658 (resized).jpg20200111_145658 (resized).jpg

#42 4 years ago

Does anyone know what snare Chris Layton used on the SRV album In Step? I always loved the sound of it. Really a nice, crisp punch.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Very cool sets!
I have a Gretsch renown maple also.
[quoted image]

Your set is also very nice! They sound great. Cannot go wrong with maple. My buddy has a kit that looks like yours. I heard his and had to get my own.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Does anyone know what snare Chris Layton used on the SRV album In Step? I always loved the sound of it. Really a nice, crisp punch.

Probably a Tama black nickel over bronze.

#45 4 years ago

I recently saw this Moon kit in NY city. The bass drums were not original as Moon destroyed them. Great to see the actual drums theses legends played.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Probably a Tama black nickel over bronze.

I knew he went Tama after being a gretsch? guy, but you never know about the snare as it could be anything. I don’t know if itwas the recording or what but that sound I always loved.

#47 4 years ago

I’ve played since I was ~4. I played in concert and jazzband through school and college and was head snare in marching and drumline. I have a roland electric kit to play to keep the noise down but love collecting drums and zildjian back to the 30’s. I have a newer gretsch kit I bought to lug around because it was cheap and I didn’t care if it got dinged up. Then two 1960s sets, slingerland and ludwig. I was always simple with my kit and play a three piece. Only would add cymbals depending on what I was playing

I don’t play too much anymore but I want to teach my boy to drum so I’ll be getting my chops back. For the past while I’ve been producing hip hop beats and some funky stuff to get my creative energy out.

AA20FB78-CA16-4E0E-AB0E-B6817C4D2420 (resized).jpegAA20FB78-CA16-4E0E-AB0E-B6817C4D2420 (resized).jpeg6040B444-8CC4-4661-AC70-F909D2F275DA (resized).jpeg6040B444-8CC4-4661-AC70-F909D2F275DA (resized).jpeg
#48 4 years ago

Don Caballero.

#49 4 years ago

Tortoise

#50 4 years ago

better than a solo to see the work of a big drummer, isolated drum of an old time classic ^^

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-drummers-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.