New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 35877)

The downside to oiling your spinners

By cowman57

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

119498.jpg
lube.jpg
3-IN-ONE_oil.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I was skepticle that oiling the spinners would really make a noticeable difference, but my spinners didn't spin very many times with a good hit on my HS, so I tried oiling them with a little oil on a Q-tip. WOW...was I wrong! They spin forever now, but there is a downside. I was trying to do an unrelated SW test with the PF tipped up, and listen for the tone while working the SW, but now the weight of the bottom of the spinners causes them to swing enough when you raise the PF to activate those SW's also, and tone also. You can't see the display with the PF up, so you don't know if the SW your testing is toning, because the spinner SW's are toning also. I had to actaully had to lock the spinners in place before raising the PF. The bottom line is, it's a small price to pay for great spinner action, and I highly recomend lubing your spinners!

#2 7 years ago

Good point? A piece of blue painters tape should hold it in place while pf is up.

#3 7 years ago

What kind of oil? 3-n-1? Where do you apply the oil above or below the playfield? Sorry about the questions but would like better action on my HS spinners to!

#4 7 years ago

I have used synthetic grease applied with a toothpick to the "axle" connections. I didn't use oil because I was concerned about it spreading out over time.
The spinners used to get about 2 revolutions and now probably go over 15 with a good hit.

#5 7 years ago

+1 on the synth grease!

#6 7 years ago

MBI Instrument grease worked the best for me. I prefer it in a Bally or Williams tube. Gottlieb had their "White lube" which I guess was Lubriplate.

#7 7 years ago

I guess when the lube gunks up and the spinner is worse than ever you can come back here and add that to the list of downsides.

#8 7 years ago

I use Eezox, apply let it dry and then wipe it all off.
I also use it on slingshot crank arms, nothing sticks to it so it doesn't collect the magic dust.

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I guess when the lube gunks up and the spinner is worse than ever you can come back here and add that to the list of downsides.

I think that's a little much. Even back in the day, it took 15 or 20 years for lube to 'gunk up'. It was often applied too liberally at the factory and the quality of lubricants wasn't nearly up to what we can buy today. I've got spinners I lubed 5 years ago that you wouldn't be able tell without a magnifying glass today. No dirt buildup, no gunk, no nothing. Still spinning way faster than factory. Newer Stern spinners beg to be lubed. It actually enhances gameplay. Ask anyone who's done it.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What kind of oil? 3-n-1? Where do you apply the oil above or below the playfield?

3 in 1 will work. I don't recommend any type of grease. Sure it's a lubricant, but it's not as slippery as light oil. If you want to get fancy, use synthetic oil. It will probably take 50 years to gunk up. A small drop on each pivot point will do it. Not on the wire that goes under the playfield. Wipe up excess (unless you use a toothpick, there should be excess), play game.

All spinners should spin as fast as they possibly can. It's a simple upgrade that noticeably enhances gameplay. No reason not to do it.

#10 7 years ago

Honestly... lube them with Graphite Powder. Thats all you need. Doesn't gunk up and is meant for consistant metal on metal contact.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lucky-line-products-325-gram-graphite-powder-dry-lubricant-95001.html#.UO8UV4njkoM

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Newer Stern spinners beg to be lubed. It actually enhances gameplay. Ask anyone who's done it.

Agree,It works well on my SM!

#12 7 years ago

So is this a good choice?

3-IN-ONE_oil.jpg

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What kind of oil? 3-n-1? Where do you apply the oil above or below the playfield? Sorry about the questions but would like better action on my HS spinners to!

Never 3 in 1..

It turns into glue afert a while..

I use WD40 on a Qtip, for the spinners...

works great and doesnt clog with PF dirt later on...

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So is this a good choice?

Thats a negative Gweem...

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Honestly... lube them with Graphite Powder. Thats all you need. Doesn't gunk up and is meant for consistant metal on metal contact.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lucky-line-products-325-gram-graphite-powder-dry-lubricant-95001.html#.UO8UV4njkoM

Right here is what I would recommend also.
Back in the day, this what what we used on sticky cables on motocross bikes. Graphite does not attract dirt.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Never 3 in 1..
works great and doesnt clog with PF dirt later on...

WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant, so I would be hesitant to use it anywhere on a pinball machine. I've found if the spinner is well adjusted and so is the switch (if it's a leaf switch) that I can get lots of spins without needing a lubricant. Therefore, I don't lube my spinners at all.

--Luke

#17 7 years ago

Graphite is a dry lubricant. I wouldn't use anything else especially not 3-IN-1 but thats just me

#18 7 years ago

silicone spray

#20 7 years ago

So it looks like everybody uses something different for spinners. I use synthetic oil (not motor oil). Steve Ritchie mentioned one time to put vegi/oilive oil to lube spinners but once the oil starts to break down it turns gooey and sticky so stay away from that all together.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Never 3 in 1..

No it doesn't. I've used it and it works fine. Doesn't turn into glue.

Quoted from Gerry:

More solvent than lubricant, as mentioned above. The spinner should already be clean. No need for solvent.

Light oil. Any viscosity. Hell, salad oil would probably be better than nothing on a newer Stern. I also use dry lubricant (spray) on pins (great for drop targets), but not on spinners. A couple of small drops of light oil will last for years.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Right here is what I would recommend also.
Back in the day, this what what we used on sticky cables on motocross bikes. Graphite does not attract dirt.

Exactly. It was the only lube ever used for EMs, for the same reason. I would not use any liquid lube, silicone, oil, or other.

#23 7 years ago

Well, I'm officially now more confused than ever.

#24 7 years ago

OKAY.

No wd-40
no 3 in 1 oil

Syntetic greese is probably too thick.

Use teflon lube. I got some liquid stuff from radio shack that is amazing. It will not turn into a gummy mess like 3in1 will. Stays liquid forever. Tiniest little dab will do.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Well, I'm officially now more confused than ever.

Whatever you try, it can quickly be removed with a rag and some alcohol. Try whatever you think sounds right to you and report back here. If you don't like anything about what you try, wipe it away.

Whatever you use, it should be a small amount. The contact area for spinners is very small. That's part of the reason they spin so long. By using small amounts, any possible buildup will be minimal and can be easily wiped away years after it's been applied. Nothing that's been suggested in this thread, including WD-40, will hurt your game in small quantities. Just try not to hose down the whole playfield with WD-40 and you'll be good to go. I would suggest trying it on your Stern games first as they seem to show the most improvement.

#26 7 years ago

Isn't lubing the spinner cheating?

#27 7 years ago

I use Super Lube - pen applicator works great - half a drop and lasts long time.

amazon.com link »

#29 7 years ago

When used with a light touch it will just drip out just a drop will do ( no color to it! ) dries clear
DRI-FILM Aerosol
Super Lube® DRI-FILM lubricant contains sub-micron sized particles of PTFE powder in a solvent base. When applied, the solvent carrier cleans and carries the dry lubricant powder to the components to be lubricated, then evaporates very rapidly, leaving behind a protective shield lubricant that will not attract dust. The dry coating provides a low coefficient of friction which gives excellent lubrication and release properties. Super Lube® DRI-FILM can be used on wood, paper, glass, rubber, fabric, leather, vinyl, metal and most plastics not under stress. It has excellent thermal and chemical stability, forming a natural insulating barrier when used on electronics.

Super Lube® DRI-FILM lubricant is only available in the following size:
11016.....................................11 oz Aerosol

More info>>>
SUPER LUBE® is enhanced with PTFE.
PTFE is one of the most slippery materials
known to science today.
All surfaces have microscopic irregularities, which create friction when rubbed against each
other. The introduction of PTFE into these irregularities smoothes out the surfaces, reducing the
wear and sticking that friction causes. The micron-sized particles of PTFE in SUPER LUBE®
are carried to these surface irregularities by the base lubricant and are ironed into place by the
action of the two moving surfaces. A proprietary process keeps the PTFE particles dispersed in
the base lubricant assuring a continual replenishment of PTFE to the surface irregularities.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Isn't lubing the spinner cheating?

No. While juicing a spinner on an older game can become a rape, newer games account for this in various ways. On the early AC/DC code, the War Machine shot (spinner) maxed out at 100k a spin. Lyman heard about people raping the spinner and now it maxes out at only 50k. I believe PAPA will sabotage a spinner if it's too lucrative.

Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Isn't this the go-to procedure?

Sure, if you can get it all apart. Some spinners aren't easy to disassemble without bending wires or brackets though.

Quoted from scooter:

Agree,It works well on my SM!

Bonesaw with a juiced spinner is not to be missed. AC/DC is also awesome with a lubed spinner. Along with the performance improvement, the audio is much better on both also because you hear the spinner sound longer. Performance and audio upgrade. All for the price of 2 drops of oil.

#31 7 years ago

I think I'm just gonna go with this. If it's good enough for my wife, it's good enough for my pins ...

lube.jpg

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I think I'm just gonna go with this. If it's good enough for my wife, it's good enough for my pins ...

LMAO, it says it has enhanced sensation, so your games will give you more enjoyment too.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If it's good enough for my wife, it's good enough for my pins ...

Funny wonder if the shape of the bottle is on purpose

#34 7 years ago

Dont forget to use this.

119498.jpg

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

In all seriousness, my brain added another "i" to the last word in the above sentence!

(yes, I know it isn't spelled that way)

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Dont forget to use this ...

It's even better than Novus for removing that tough grime!

#37 7 years ago

Pinball is a dirty job but someones gotta do it.

This is so wrong from G - rated heading to -> R or...

#38 7 years ago

Ginkgo Biloba? Isn't that for memory? Lol. I want to remember this sex for a while. Absorbed through the urethra.

#39 7 years ago

Unless your were drinking.

Beer goggles are here for a reason ,sometimes you might want to forget.

#40 7 years ago

What the hell did I just stumble into... Closing the door... Walking away... Haha

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

when do I get to come over and try out your HS???

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Dont forget to use this.

Like M-I-L-L W-I-P-E-S!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 6.00
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside