Topic Stats

• 1,111 posts
  • 166 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by bssbllr
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 342 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DF535803-FFBB-4C01-86C6-A2EFACF210B7 (resized).jpeg
0B342868-4D78-411B-A1CF-D82C5858D751 (resized).jpeg
6126F2AB-BACA-4A86-87D4-EB65002460BB (resized).jpeg
24555076-EE8E-4C34-BAE5-B9F01F915814 (resized).jpeg
580F9FD9-9C4A-4B38-A6C4-822973A8229A (resized).jpeg
1B1E77B3-BEC9-4251-9F80-23733E839EC5 (resized).jpeg
54720737-6712-4F95-AE65-EC92A3D40DCD (resized).jpeg
140C6927-D426-4FCC-A771-ECC29F52ED78 (resized).jpeg
D1AFAE3B-B4A4-4949-9145-F80EAABE3894 (resized).jpeg
EE97ECAF-71A5-4991-8D35-1F9A531BB184 (resized).jpeg
9A2D89D4-2D31-4441-9432-7C4FAEF49F1F (resized).jpeg
54160571-8642-4CD4-A493-BC5D7620DB26 (resized).jpeg
A3CFCB59-0B8A-4E47-AA43-A1F87044FB87 (resized).jpeg
F0678600-618F-4025-9A01-BC3657FE1175 (resized).jpeg
8FAA1DD6-DEAB-4A89-8907-DFBC197AC5D5 (resized).jpeg
09596088-3832-4136-A6AE-F9051F49C461 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scoot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#840 1 year ago

Hello everyone! I have finally purchased my first pin and it is no other than Dirty Harry. Very challenging machine I have to admit, as it took me 20 or so games just to get a replay. But was so excited to do so. The ramps are so tough and hitting a ricochet is insane. I’m loving this game the more I play it. The pin hasn’t been serviced or even cleaned for 15 years, but the guy I bought it from was super nice and I think I got a great deal.

I am adding a few things like leds and new rubbers, and was thinking about adding either decals or mirror blades. Which would look better? I already have on order the back decal.

#843 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Installed the Dirty Harry police badge I got from Ebay - used a little E6000 to temp glue it in place on the apron wire

I love the badge! The mirror is sharp and really makes the table look nice. I also like the artwork too. I just don't know what I should do. BTW, I think I saw this particular pin on youtube doing some midnight madness...

#846 1 year ago

Thought I'd touch up the safe house and warehouse a little bit. They looked a little blah.

20180519_104513 (resized).jpg

20180519_105923 (resized).jpg

20180519_155301 (resized).jpg

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

That looks great, how did you paint the buildings and what did you use?

It's rather simple really. The buildings have great detail but looks washed out being all one color. Just primer the buildings black and then drybrush some tamiya acrylics on them. Drybrush darkest colors first and lightest colors last.

#850 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Buildings look fantastic... Nice work

Thank you.

#851 1 year ago

I cleaned my newly purchased Dirty Harry and waxed the playfield, making the game play much faster now. the problem I am now having is that on a clean shot to the right ramp, the ball launches off the ramp exit, over the lane gate and back towards me, missing the jackpot almost every time. I just don't see much for an adjustment since the left ramp comes right over the top of the right ramp. I'm thinking of adding a clear cover over that section of ramp to keep the ball in play, similar to the one on the left ramp. Does anyone have a solution for this? Also wondering what production number my pin is. Is it the last four digits of the S/N #?

#856 1 year ago

I couldn't decide between graphics or mirrors on the side so I went with both.

20180527_084812 (resized).jpg

20180527_083517 (resized).jpg

20180527_083450 (resized).jpg

20180527_083627 (resized).jpg

#858 1 year ago

I thought the gun was a little plain so I repainted it and added some chrome highlights.

20180528_190831 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#862 1 year ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Dirty Harry Topper finally finished. Smith & Wesson Model 29 (replica), Police Badge, Harry Callahan ID Card, 44 Magnum Speed Loader.

That looks fricken awesome! You should put a set of handcuffs on the far right. The case is beautiful.

#863 1 year ago

I decided to install my cliffy protectors last night with much reservation. Four hours, three beers, and two bloody fingers later, I finally got them installed. After I put everything back together, I proceeded to rack up my best score yet. The pinball gods must have had pitty on me. So totally worth the hassle.

1528543994348882401073 (resized).jpg15285440610382020504824 (resized).jpg20180608_170341 (resized).jpg20180608_171601 (resized).jpg20180608_214125 (resized).jpg
#868 1 year ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

More
I’m dreading this. I bought the protector set AFTER I took apart and put back together the pf for cleaning etc. when I got it. I still am trying to get over that fact!

This was my second time breaking down my pf since I have owned it. It did go much easier the 2nd time around, and I got to clean and wax the orbits. The cliffys look great and hide the ball wear that were on my pf. Grab a beer and just go for it.

#870 1 year ago
Quoted from Kensurfs:

Thanks for the idea, cuffs have been added to the topper.

Those look great! I put mine here. They were my dad's from 50 years ago so they are extra special.

20180611_185602 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#895 1 year ago

^^ You can never have too much Dirty Harry...

4 weeks later
#914 11 months ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Just got mine this past weekend, it's my first pin. Love it so far.

Dirty Harry was my first pin too. I still have it.

20180604_185802 (resized).jpg
#915 11 months ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Just got mine this past weekend, it's my first pin. Love it so far.

Dirty Harry was my first pin too. I still own it!

#916 11 months ago

So there is no way to delete posts once submitted? Sorry about the double post. I didn't intend to add the pic but just magically showed up when I posted.

2 weeks later
#920 11 months ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Newb here, having a weird problem with my gun. When I start it up, it usually plays fine for a few games, but then the gun won’t stop rotating back and forth and the game won’t use it anymore. The weird part is, other aspects of the game change too after the malfunction- it auto plunges, the ball save gets very generous, and if you start any of the hurry ups the timer doesn’t count down. Disabling the gun in the settings makes the other issues stop. After the malfunction there’s a credit dot and the test message says “gun broken.” Before the malfunction there’s no credit dot.
Another time after the malfunction, the test message said to check switches 44 (gun chamber), 45 (gun popper), 76 (gun position), and 77 (gun lockup). When I run a test on each individual switch, 45 is closed and displays an (A), while the other three are open. I'm not sure what any of that means. There is also a gun test, but that looks like it's just testing whether the gun will move and rotate properly, which it does.
Any suggestions- especially bearing in mind that I know almost nothing about pinball repair, tools, etc. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and have learned quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, but am still getting started. So, idiot-proof explanations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the world of pinball ownership and repair! You have come to the right place, as people on pinside are very helpful and knowledgeable. Whenever I have an issue,the first thing I do is search the forums. Forums are loaded with wonderful information that can help with your problems. There are several posts within describing similar problems. I have looked them over and it seems you have an issue with the gun home switch. The gun when it calibrates looks for a switch to tell it to stop in the home position. Since yours does not stop, I would start there. Look for any frayed or loose wires near the gun assembly. If you don’t have a soldering iron you will need to get one. Check switches in test mode to make sure they are all working. Switch 45 is closed on my machine however I am not sure what the “A” represents either. Hopefully you can find the switch that is not working. Lastly, most of the problems I have encountered often times are remedied by simply cleaning.

2 months later
#930 9 months ago
Quoted from aerobert:

I have a Dirty Harry with led lights for the GI.
Are they supposed to strobe really quick during certain times in the game? It stops after hitting a shot. Is it normal behavior or is it normally supposed to just dim the standard bulbs and the leds go crazy from this?
I also experience that the game sometimes doesn't kick out the balls properly during multiball. I don't have any error reports and the game counts the balls fine. Though I have seen that the ball doesn't go all the way in the through sometimes when the ball drains. I need to shake it in position for the game to end. I have tried increasing and decreasing the playfield angle but that doesn't seem to help much.
Besides this the game plays fine.

The led bulbs don’t like to dim like the incandescent so you will get flickering. You can turn dimming off in the settings, that will solve your problem. Or you can purchase an LED OCD board that will allow leds to dim properly. As for your ball trough, most likely your balls are magnetized and not moving down the trough properly. Use carbon core balls as they will hold less magnetism and possibly purchase a shim to help. Here is one from Marco.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

Also make sure your trough is smooth and clean.

#932 9 months ago

If I recall, they dim when you start multiball. It was pretty extreme and almost seizure inducing. Someday I may try to add the ocd board but for now I just have them off. I don’t think you can really demagnetize the balls since as soon as the magnet save turns on it will charge them up again. I had to put a shim in my machine With new balls and haven’t had a problem since.

#936 9 months ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Ok that makes sense!
Sorry I don't follow, where and how did you install a (metal?) shim? What does it do?

The shim comes either metal or plastic. It makes the ball roll at a slightly steeper angle and since they are new, the ball rolls on them better. I first went with the plastic one as it was cheap, and it worked great. But it will eliminate the clunk you hear when the ball hits the trough. I didn’t like that (yes I’m anal like that) so I bought a metal one off eBay. Super easy to install, just lift the playfield and rest it on a the rails and slide the shim in. You don’t have to even remove the balls. About as easy a fix you can have. Oh, before you put one in, wax the shim first for even better performance.

#937 9 months ago

ebay.com link » Pinball Ball Trough Repair Sleeve

This is the one I got on eBay.

I have to admit, for the price the plastic one works just as good and 1/4 the price.

1 month later
#950 7 months ago

Has anyone put an led ocd board in their DH? Is it worth the $$$?

#952 7 months ago

I made it to crime wave today and got one arrest. Three arrests are insane! I’m still shaking a bit from the adrenaline rush. I fricken love this game!

3 weeks later
#963 6 months ago

I just got my second high score this morning using a different strategy than normal. Instead of starting a game using the magna save and trying for the ramp, I chose to constantly try to load the gun and shoot for the HQ. Even during feel lucky, I chose for the gun. Seemed to work out well for me. I usually play games and avoid the gun but not today. This game is so underrated!

20181223_073504 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#989 5 months ago

are you sure the magnet is staying active and not letting the ball go, or could the ball just be resting on a divot or groove? Make sure the magnet is flush and smooth with the playfield. Also you can check the magnet in diagnostics to see if it is working properly.

2 weeks later
#1006 5 months ago

I thought about putting a metal replacement there too when I couldn't find the right stand up target but then I got to thinking, do I really want the shiny balls slamming up against the corner of that metal target? Have you ever seen a metal stand up target in a pinball machine? I don't think I have. Every single DH I have seen has the same wear as your broken target. Even the promo video of the machine from 1993 has a broken target. Look closely and you will see it. It's just a poor design with no support on the broken corner. They should have put a post there behind the target or something. I have a brand new one in my coin box but haven't put it on yet. I am afraid it will look like the other within no time. Haha.

2 weeks later
#1011 4 months ago

This pin is so good! Crazy underrated.

#1014 4 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

Does anyone know the correct multiball count. Is crime wave 4, regular
Multi ball 3, and instant 2?
If anyone knows please me know I am trying to be sure I have the trough optos working correctly

Yes, yes, and yes.

2 weeks later
#1023 4 months ago

Someone was smart and epoxied a 1/8 inch round plastic over the magnet on my machine. It seems to still grab fine and there is absolutely no wear. I thought it was factory installed until I read posts about mushrooming magnets.

#1030 4 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

Can you snap a photo of the cover? wondering what they used
thanks

Next time I’m under there I will.

Quoted from Magicmike0:

I heard something about the angle of the game could mess with the magnet timing and actions. Is this true? What angle do you guys have your DH set at? Mine is about 6 degrees I think. Maybe 6.2

My table is close to 6.5. If I get any steeper I have troubles making the super jackpot from the gun.

#1041 3 months ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Found my diamond in the rough at a great price, dirty as fuck with a few issues. It was in a dude's house for over 21 years. Total plays said less than 450. Not sure about that but the goodie bag was still there...check out the before and after...not a scratch on her
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That HQ hole has absolutely no wear! Great find.

#1050 3 months ago

All you need now is a color dmd. I swear it’s the best upgrade for the money.

#1053 3 months ago
Quoted from whitey:

Dirty Harry club , I’m looking for a HUO/Restored mint game . If anyone is thinking of letting one go please hit me up
Thanks !

I don't know what it is, but I have been seeing a lot of Dirty Harry for sale on various places lately. I don't know why but mine would be probably the last to go if I were to sell. I just love the game and it's difficulty. It's one of my favorites!

1 week later
#1062 3 months ago

Just made it to crime wave tonight and only got one arrest. How the hell can you get three?! I don’t think my name will ever make I on there.

2 weeks later
#1072 88 days ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

I have had my dh for 5 yrs. I finally got the time I needed to do a complete tear down and clean, polish and clear coat. I also added a drop target but still have to wait for cc to cure before it all goes back together. Will be installing cliffys. There was one spot of touch up paint grey that I don’t like but it’s under the ramp. A must to read VIDS ultimate pinball restoration. I also lived in Monterey ca which is the town over from where Clint was the mayor (Carmel). Got a chance to get his autograph in 03’ in pebble beach So I felt it was a great find for me.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That drop target hole looks original! Nicely done.

1 month later
#1096 54 days ago
Quoted from whitey:

Just took delivery of a Dirty Harry today,
After a few plays I was thinking it’s a perfect game for pin sound with updated music . Anyone done this to there game ?
Thanks

Color dmd and gi ocd boards for my flickering leds were a must. Never thought it needed a sound upgrade. I would be interested to know too.

3 weeks later
#1107 33 days ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

one or 2 added spotlights,
back panel decal a must
side panel decals are ok
back panel lighting
cliffys a must
plastic protectors
trough light
back box - added a few blinkers for bridge lights...
sound - subwoofer
can't think of anything else that would be good...game doesn't need much

If you want to have realistic dimming with leds installed I recommend the gi ocd board. It eliminated the awful strobing effect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 50.00
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scoot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside