E9505D85-A10C-4597-8779-0C27468E0BE8 (resized).jpeg
9CAB90A2-79D7-449A-B081-399AAC12A7AF (resized).jpeg
CDDB5CC5-DAFB-466A-887F-20BE45B97C3C (resized).jpeg
3802C139-4CAB-4084-AEB3-A339671FEA9D (resized).jpeg
13DE9C8C-47A3-46DB-A3C2-A6301CBF0924 (resized).jpeg
20230826_093554 (resized).jpg
20230826_093742 (resized).jpg
20230826_093718 (resized).jpg
There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.
#301 8 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the club!

Was just putting some leds in and i noticed this.....

IMG_9938.JPGIMG_9938.JPG

I can't seem to find the other end for what its for? Game dosen't show any errors / Credit dots..... Could anybody help with this?

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from Drumheadz:

I find the sound to be "crackling" sometimes like the level is too high and it's clipping

I kind of remember thinking that before I upgraded to Flipper Fidelity speakers. The sound definitely changed after the upgrade.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

I can't seem to find the other end for what its for? Game dosen't show any errors / Credit dots..... Could anybody help with this?

It doesn't go to anything.

1 month later
#304 8 years ago

I'm having an issue with "switch 38 right ramp make" - it's not registering. I've ordered some new parts, but....

What I'm wondering is what does this switch do exactly? I thought it was to change the path to the right flipper, but I was playing tonight and that gate opened/closed (sometimes) when I crossed the helicopter gate. Is that the way it's supposed to work? What does "switch 38 right ramp make" do?

#305 8 years ago

Hmm without looking I would ASSume that it's the second switch on the ramp...entry ramp makes noise, second gives credit for making ramp. Might be an opto up there?

#306 8 years ago

Ahh...ok, that makes sense, thanks. Yeah, it's the second switch on the ramp. The first is at the entrance..it's a steel gate, then this opto.

I replaced the emitter, and it's working fine(receiver too)...I checked all the leads/wires. I've been told it may be the opto board - I have one en route.

#307 8 years ago

Joined the club.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 weeks later
#308 8 years ago

Hello!

just joined the club! managed to get a fine DH little over three months ago.
pictures of cleaning, reparing the magnet etc etc see: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8zveyk1j488315/AAB_oBfGF2ykrYrL8T3J6-fca?oref=e&n=193278567

I do have one small issue; after cleaning the pinball and polishing the playfield and rebuilding the flippers, the left flipper is so strong the ball sometimes just flies out of the right ramp, missing de diverter completely.
anyone? just replce the coil with a less strong one?

great club and thanks for all the tips from the past!!!

2 weeks later
#309 8 years ago

Just joined the club myself. Going to add spot lamps and LED the inserts first. Then I'll move the ramp by the gin because I get the gun dribble out at least once a game. That gun really fires the ball too. Need to be spot on for HQ shot.

I think leveling this game right is very important. Tough shots! I think DH will really refine some skills that have gone untested in awhile. Love the upper flipper ramp shot!

Play field art not th best but the translight and can art is amaze balls.

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Love the upper flipper ramp shot!

I like that shot too....reminds me a lot of the alpha ramp shot on STTNG

#311 8 years ago

Just rejoined the club for the 2nd time...got a tech question for you all...

When I select gun to start it loads the gun properly...but then the HQ hole makes a sound like a ball already hit the opto before shooting & then the VUK fires...does this twice...if you shoot during this time it doesn't recognize the skill shot or start a mode...if you wait till it has gone thru this sequence twice & then hit the HQ hole it works fine...weird problem...anyone have an idea what's going on here???

Also, curious if anyone knows where to get waterslide decals for the inserts or one of the custom standup targets?

Thanks!!!

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from dj_xwing:

When I select gun to start it loads the gun properly...but then the HQ hole makes a sound like a ball already hit the opto before shooting & then the VUK fires...does this twice...if you shoot during this time it doesn't recognize the skill shot or start a mode...if you wait till it has gone thru this sequence twice & then hit the HQ hole it works fine...weird problem...anyone have an idea what's going on here???

Sounds like the opto in the HQ is flaky. Make sure it's clean first then inspect the solder pads for cracked solder joints. Reseat the opto connectors on the opto board under the playfield and then test the optos in switch edge test. Use a flashlight on the receiver and your phone set to camera to view the transmitter. iPhones (at least the 5) can't detect transmitter opto wavelengths but most other android phones work fine as well as digital cameras.

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Sounds like the opto in the HQ is flaky. Make sure it's clean first then inspect the solder pads for cracked solder joints. Reseat the opto connectors on the opto board under the playfield and then test the optos in switch edge test. Use a flashlight on the receiver and your phone set to camera to view the transmitter. iPhones (at least the 5) can't detect transmitter opto wavelengths but most other android phones work fine as well as digital cameras.

That's what I thought as well...but only acts flaky at start up...doesn't fire on its own at any other time...and works fine in switch test mode...I'll try reseating the connectors & take another look at it...thanks!

#314 8 years ago

Does anyone have a good solution to the ball bouncing around when leaving the shooter lane?

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from dj_xwing:

one of the custom standup targets?

Got a couple from Marco a while back, but they show out of stock now. Not sure who else might have them.
PPS has the decals if it's only the image that's bad.

Quoted from shaub:

Does anyone have a good solution to the ball bouncing around when leaving the shooter lane?

Can you be a little more specific? Don't recall seeing something like this.

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Can you be a little more specific? Don't recall seeing something like this.

I thought it was a common problem, but on my Dirty Harry, when the ball leaves the shooter lane it has a tendency to rattle around in the right orbit. I think it occasionally hits the magnet opto bracket. I was just wondering if there is an easy solution to make sure the ball launches around into the pops consistently.

#317 8 years ago

my Dirty Harry ball launch does the same thing. Not sure what's causing it.

#318 8 years ago

Mine rattles around back there too hitting the opto bracket for the magnet. I had to adjust the second flap for the trap door to the gun. That one seemed to start to get the ball to start hopping before it hits the ramp for the loop. Seems to be better but still get some weak, rattling shots to the magnet.

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I thought it was a common problem, but on my Dirty Harry, when the ball leaves the shooter lane it has a tendency to rattle around in the right orbit. I think it occasionally hits the magnet opto bracket. I was just wondering if there is an easy solution to make sure the ball launches around into the pops consistently.

Make sure the magnet is level with the playfield. I think mine did the same thing before I fixed this.

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Inherent design flaw in the game. The ramp exit is too close to the opto bracket for the magnet. If you use a less powerful shooter coil, the ball doesn't make it to the magnet on "ramp shot"

Also- when the ball hits the opto bracket, it "nose-dives into the PF around the magnet core, thus destroying the playfield even if there's mylar. Every single dirty harry has damage here, and most have destroyed wood in the thinned area immediately adjacent to the magnet core under the PF.

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Also- when the ball hits the opto bracket, it "nose-dives into the PF around the magnet core, thus destroying the playfield even if there's mylar. Every single Dirty Harry has damage here, and most have destroyed wood in the thinned area immediately adjacent to the magnet core under the PF.

Not mine.

#322 8 years ago

Hello,
To solve the the ball bouncing around when the ball is leaving the shooter lane,
I cut a piece of cardboard that I stuck with double-sided tape.
See picture below
No fees.
friendships

// Error: Image 197015 not found //

IMG_2692.jpgIMG_2692.jpg

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

I have the same...goes nowhere.

Maybe shaker motor?

1 month later
#324 8 years ago

Hi guys, can one of you take some pics of some wires in the head for me? I just picked up a DH and it's been hacked and I'm trying to repair the damage. I'm trying to rewire the bundle in the pic below. He cutoff the wires and soldered them to J120 and J121. Thanks in advance.

PS: Also does the backboard GI lights bink on and off during the game? I noticed on this game they're always on.

20151105_222558.jpg20151105_222558.jpg
20151105_222542.jpg20151105_222542.jpg

1 week later
#325 8 years ago

Fixed it....what was throwing me off was the fact that the manual said it had 5 GI strings where in fact there is only 3.

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

PS: Also does the backboard GI lights bink on and off during the game? I noticed on this game they're always on.

There are supposed to be 545 blinker bulbs behind the beacon lights on the bridge towers. They do not blink by CPU control.

#327 8 years ago

Hi,guys have a DH putting it in shape.I am looking for a gun cover,If you have one let me know
Thanks
Robert

3 weeks later
#328 8 years ago

Anyone have a suggestion for the spring part number of the coil and bracket assembly on page 2-26 of the Dirty Harry manual??

thanks,
tslayer

1 week later
#329 8 years ago

2015-11-28_16.52.12_(resized).jpg2015-11-28_16.52.12_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#330 8 years ago

i have some interest in a DH, can you convince me it's (really) good !?
i'm already OK with the theme, and the calls out (even if i'm native french) from Clint itself
let's admit the artwork is just OK

i need more infos about the gameplay & rules, from a player point of view, as i feel the pin is quite easy and there're no much to do on it !?
in fact, already tested (only few games) and i finish it while scoring 2B pts... the videos posted on PAPA make me feel same idea...

than, did i'm wrong about it ? tell me
tanx

#331 8 years ago

Dirty Harry is not an "easy" pin. Yes, it's high-scoring, but the outlanes are brutal and the ramp shots are not easy. I find IM to be an easier game than DH.

I think it's a great game for the price ($2000-2500). Very unique and fun layout. I like the art better than "okay", but I'm a fan of hand-drawn art.

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm a fan of hand-drawn art

+1 (even when its still photoshoped... ) was in love with my x-men magneto & MET pro

here on DH, lets admit its quite simple/empty on the playfield

and tanx for the advice

Quoted from swampfire:

Very unique and fun layout

i than need more games to really discover the fun, and yes its unique for sure

#333 8 years ago

DH was my first pin (4+ years ago) and I play it almost as much as my NEW Sterns. Make sure you have the correct rubbers for the outlanes (1 inch ring) what I mean is the rubber is supposed to stretch from the adjustable post to the nearby starpost. If you just use a small rubber ring over the adjustable post then yes the game will be much easier as the ball will constantly bounce out.
Make sure your flippers are good.
Game is great!

Quoted from RipleYYY:

i have some interest in a DH, can you convince me it's (really) good !?
i'm already OK with the theme, and the calls out (even if i'm native french) from Clint itself
let's admit the artwork is just OK
i need more infos about the gameplay & rules, from a player point of view, as i feel the pin is quite easy and there're no much to do on it !?
in fact, already tested (only few games) and i finish it while scoring 2B pts... the videos posted on PAPA make me feel same idea...
than, did i'm wrong about it ? tell me
tanx

#334 8 years ago

DH is a pretty deep game for its time; I need to draw up a mind map for it. In addition to the regular modes, you've got the safehouse modes and the bullet awards to go for. Lots of fun to stack those with a multiball. The multiball itself is pretty fun, very Lawlor-like. I can sum up my attitude toward Dirty Harry in one word: "Rrricochet!"

#335 8 years ago

... tanx guys

#336 8 years ago

Everytime I hear that word now, I say it to myself like that. Every.. damn.. time...

#337 8 years ago

we had very nice hotdogs at home today...

#338 8 years ago

Some Dirty Harry action from last night's "Bro, do you even pinball?"

#339 8 years ago

Played for about 4 hours today. This game will never leave my collection. Still cant make it to crime wave.....lol

#340 8 years ago

G'day people. Just chanced upon this thread. I have a beautiful Dirty Harry proto with leds, back sticker mod and mirror blades. Bloody beautiful game. One of four pinnies and a keeper to be sure.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#341 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Still cant make it to crime wave.....lol

More pain after you do. I don't find it very hard to get to Crime Wave, but it's frikkin impossible to get anywhere in it. I talk to other owners around me and they seem to agree. Also, I've never met anyone that has completed shoot out, well other than people on here.

#342 8 years ago

Took the day off.....got to crimewave. I choked....and didnt make any shots. Shootout......just not enough time for me.....cant do it

#343 8 years ago

So far best I could do in crime wave is 2 arrests. Shootout only completed it once ever. 4 years of ownership.

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

So far best I could do in crime wave is 2 arrests. Shootout only completed it once ever. 4 years of ownership.

Yeah I've gotten 2 a few times...which isn't even enough to crack the leader board.
I've for sure been 1 shot away from shoot out, but that's it.

#345 8 years ago

I picked up a DH and have fixed all the errors except 77 gun lockup. The manual lists it as under playfield but I can only find one switch there, 76 gun position. Should there be another switch or is it one of the deleted items. Any info on this would be helpful.

#346 8 years ago

I believe that switch(quite finicky) is under the gun 'turret'. Once adjusted properly, upon start up the gun should cycle about 6 times and then stop when adjusted. There are also known problems of the gun(moving gun on pf)wiring harness to break. Might want to look at that to. Good luck. Great game.

#347 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I had another look and there are two connectors that go to the gun. One is for the opto for the gun chamber, the other is for the solenoid. The manual lists switch as 5647-12693-46. I don't see that anywhere. Could you post a pic of it?

5647-12693-46_(resized).png5647-12693-46_(resized).png

#348 8 years ago

I believe gun lockup switch #77 is in the small subway between the ramp that lifts in the shooter lane and the VUK to the gun. When you select GUN to launch the ball a flap raises in the shooter lane and the ball goes down a subway before reaching the VUK to the gun. Switch #77 is in that subway. Probably need to be adjusted or a wire/diode/connector is broken.

image-27_(resized).jpgimage-27_(resized).jpg

#349 8 years ago

What does your switch test show?(if you've done that, if not run the switch test)

#350 8 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. Schudel5 you are right that switch just needed adjusting. Yeah no errors!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirty-harry-club/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.