Soooo I had a bit of free time today to work on some other machines while the clear coat is curing on Paragon. One of the things that has bothered me on Dirty Harry is a broken stand up target, probably due to a foam deficiency.
Replacements are not available that I could find (perhaps someone can enlighten me?) so I took action today on an idea that came to me a couple weeks ago. Started with pulling the target from under the playfield -- of course this one does not have a quick disconnect. I may progress to desoldering but will leave it attached to the harness for now.
Drilled out one of the rivets holding the switch together, this allowed me to twist the target and get access to the target rivet.
Drilled the target rivet to free the plastic.
So what is my fix? I had pulled a couple of the other targets awhile back so I could measure/make some new decals. I had them at work and while cleaning at the office I came across a box of old rabies tags from several years ago (its ok, I work in a veterinary clinic ). I was looking at the red hydrant tag. . . looked at the target. . . can you see where I am going here?
A few minutes at the grinding wheel and I have something that looks rather close to the plastic original.
Dont think its the same tag? Here is a pic of the front with the writing. I whited out my address/phone number as I don't need any crank calls.
Matching the new target up to the new decals. . . looks close.
Resting the damaged target over the potential replacement. A little to take off here and there around the curve at the top but not bad. A hole will be drilled using the original as a guide.
This was my stopping point for today. I need to order some new rivets before I can proceed.
Don't go pulling your pooches credentials just yet for your own fix -- I have no idea how this will work. I figured the aluminum tag is softer (like the plastic is) than the metal ball, but I am not sure how likely it is to bend. The thickness is near identical to the original plastic target so it is rather stout. I will post back once I've installed and refoamed with some follow up details.