E9505D85-A10C-4597-8779-0C27468E0BE8 (resized).jpeg
9CAB90A2-79D7-449A-B081-399AAC12A7AF (resized).jpeg
CDDB5CC5-DAFB-466A-887F-20BE45B97C3C (resized).jpeg
3802C139-4CAB-4084-AEB3-A339671FEA9D (resized).jpeg
13DE9C8C-47A3-46DB-A3C2-A6301CBF0924 (resized).jpeg
20230826_093554 (resized).jpg
20230826_093742 (resized).jpg
20230826_093718 (resized).jpg
There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.
#1001 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

No, it did not. Thanks Seatmandan for the info. I'll add it to my cart!

I've never used one of those. If the white cut-off switch in the coin door has a conical end, I just hold in with my left hand and operate the service buttons for testing with my right. If the white cut-off switch has a mushroom looking end to it, then it has a service position. Simply pull until it locks in the service position and then use the service buttons.

#1002 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Full manual is downloadable from IPDB as a PDF file.
Yea, that's likely your problem. The manual shows J115 as being part of the GI. Look at pages 3-10 and 3-29

Thanks so much RCA1!

1 week later
#1003 5 years ago

Preparing all the necessary items to tear down the playfield and repair the mushroomed magnet. Cliffys on the way. According to others who have tackled this, whether filing the old magnet or replacing with new, you adjust the magnet tip to be level with the playfield when installing. My question is this, if the magnet tip is supposed to be level with the playfield and the ball rolls over it, how did it get so mushroomed in so many pins in the first place?

#1004 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

My question is this, if the magnet tip is supposed to be level with the playfield and the ball rolls over it, how did it get so mushroomed in so many pins in the first place?

Usually from the ball launch -- the ball tends to take a downward trajectory out of the shooter lane and pummels the magnet/opto bracket in that general area.

#1005 5 years ago

Soooo I had a bit of free time today to work on some other machines while the clear coat is curing on Paragon. One of the things that has bothered me on Dirty Harry is a broken stand up target, probably due to a foam deficiency.

5J5A9356 (resized).JPG5J5A9356 (resized).JPG

Replacements are not available that I could find (perhaps someone can enlighten me?) so I took action today on an idea that came to me a couple weeks ago. Started with pulling the target from under the playfield -- of course this one does not have a quick disconnect. I may progress to desoldering but will leave it attached to the harness for now.

5J5A9360 (resized).JPG5J5A9360 (resized).JPG

Drilled out one of the rivets holding the switch together, this allowed me to twist the target and get access to the target rivet.

5J5A9361 (resized).JPG5J5A9361 (resized).JPG

Drilled the target rivet to free the plastic.

So what is my fix? I had pulled a couple of the other targets awhile back so I could measure/make some new decals. I had them at work and while cleaning at the office I came across a box of old rabies tags from several years ago (its ok, I work in a veterinary clinic ). I was looking at the red hydrant tag. . . looked at the target. . . can you see where I am going here?

5J5A9349 (resized).JPG5J5A9349 (resized).JPG

A few minutes at the grinding wheel and I have something that looks rather close to the plastic original.

5J5A9350 (resized).JPG5J5A9350 (resized).JPG

Dont think its the same tag? Here is a pic of the front with the writing. I whited out my address/phone number as I don't need any crank calls.

5J5A9351 (resized).JPG5J5A9351 (resized).JPG

Matching the new target up to the new decals. . . looks close.

5J5A9357 (resized).JPG5J5A9357 (resized).JPG

Resting the damaged target over the potential replacement. A little to take off here and there around the curve at the top but not bad. A hole will be drilled using the original as a guide.

5J5A9362 (resized).JPG5J5A9362 (resized).JPG

This was my stopping point for today. I need to order some new rivets before I can proceed.

Don't go pulling your pooches credentials just yet for your own fix -- I have no idea how this will work. I figured the aluminum tag is softer (like the plastic is) than the metal ball, but I am not sure how likely it is to bend. The thickness is near identical to the original plastic target so it is rather stout. I will post back once I've installed and refoamed with some follow up details.

#1006 5 years ago

I thought about putting a metal replacement there too when I couldn't find the right stand up target but then I got to thinking, do I really want the shiny balls slamming up against the corner of that metal target? Have you ever seen a metal stand up target in a pinball machine? I don't think I have. Every single DH I have seen has the same wear as your broken target. Even the promo video of the machine from 1993 has a broken target. Look closely and you will see it. It's just a poor design with no support on the broken corner. They should have put a post there behind the target or something. I have a brand new one in my coin box but haven't put it on yet. I am afraid it will look like the other within no time. Haha.

#1007 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I thought about putting a metal replacement there too when I couldn't find the right stand up target but then I got to thinking, do I really want the shiny balls slamming up against the corner of that metal target? Have you ever seen a metal stand up target in a pinball machine?

I completely understand what you are saying and I have my reservations as well. . .
The way I see it there are no vulnerable plastics behind this target and I plan on putting the decal over the aluminum to absorb some of the impact (decal has just a bit of thickness to it). It is an experiment for sure, but I like taking a chance on something new now and again.

#1008 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I will post back once I've installed and refoamed with some follow up details.

As promised a couple installed pictures. I chose to cover the rivet with the decal.

5J5A9417 (resized).JPG5J5A9417 (resized).JPG

5J5A9422 (resized).JPG5J5A9422 (resized).JPG

5J5A9424 (resized).JPG5J5A9424 (resized).JPG

Things seem to be holding up after a dozen or so games and some targeted hits. If I make another run of the decals I may make the white lines more pronounced so you can actually see them while playing.

#1009 5 years ago

Playfield repair question. I’ve torn down the playfield to the point where I could remove the mushroomed magnet and discovered that the magnet apparently created a small indentation at the lower right area of the hole, where the N meets the hole. It’s tough to see but about an area of a square inch. I’d like to repair this back to flush before I install a Cliffy Carbon Fiber hole protector. Any advice on which product to use and do I need to apply clear over it? I’m not that concerned about matching paint as it’s covered by the ramp and difficult to see the magnet area anyway. I’m installing a new magnet rod. Thanks

038E720D-3379-437E-A786-196DFDD8E4F6 (resized).jpeg038E720D-3379-437E-A786-196DFDD8E4F6 (resized).jpeg9FA1BAF9-5D37-4B7C-9446-F24EC9CB88E8 (resized).jpeg9FA1BAF9-5D37-4B7C-9446-F24EC9CB88E8 (resized).jpeg
#1010 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

Any advice on which product to use and do I need to apply clear over it?

I've had very good luck with J-B Weld bonding to wood. Get the two-part slow curing overnight stuff that is gray in color. Make sure you get rid of any clearcoat so it bonds directly to the wood. Make a cardboard dam inside the hole and fill in the divot. When it cures, remove the dam and you sand it down like wood. With a Cliffy over it that's all you need. Did a MB scoop hole and and an AFM under the main saucer repairs to the playfield and both have held up over 15 years.

1 week later
#1011 5 years ago

This pin is so good! Crazy underrated.

#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

Playfield repair question. I’ve torn down the playfield to the point where I could remove the mushroomed magnet and discovered that the magnet apparently created a small indentation at the lower right area of the hole, where the N meets the hole. It’s tough to see but about an area of a square inch. I’d like to repair this back to flush before I install a Cliffy Carbon Fiber hole protector. Any advice on which product to use and do I need to apply clear over it? I’m not that concerned about matching paint as it’s covered by the ramp and difficult to see the magnet area anyway. I’m installing a new magnet rod. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

When I did a hole repair and on the recommendation of Cliffy(super great guy w/great products!) I used Quick Wood. Comes in a small tube and is like putty. Turns rock hard like bondo, then you can shape, sand, paint.

I did lots of resto’s on EM’s and used acrylic paint. I then cleared w/a acrylic clear. Don’t always have to clear.

Good luck and have fun.

#1013 5 years ago

Does anyone know the correct multiball count. Is crime wave 4, regular
Multi ball 3, and instant 2?
If anyone knows please me know I am trying to be sure I have the trough optos working correctly

#1014 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Does anyone know the correct multiball count. Is crime wave 4, regular
Multi ball 3, and instant 2?
If anyone knows please me know I am trying to be sure I have the trough optos working correctly

Yes, yes, and yes.

1 week later
#1015 5 years ago

I recently replaced all the controlled inserts with Comet Non-Ghosting bulbs and am still having a ghosting issue with the lowest inserts; Shoot Again and Bar Room Brawl. This topic was broached about a year ago with a discussion on EPROM and Rom Patches, but no one reported if it solved their problem and where exactly to get one. Has anyone lately had this issue? What’s the true fix and how do I get it? I’m running Rev. LA-2 and Sound Rev. L-1. Thanks

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1016 5 years ago

LED's will always ghost and strobe. Some manufacturers can lessen the effect by installing resistors in the LED's but the only good way to have LED's other than for GI is by installing a LED OCD board.

Personally I never use LED's under the pf.

#1017 5 years ago

I’m about to tear mine down and get the shroom magnet out as well. Do they make something to go over the magnet? With that being said...Are magnets still exposed on new games? I figured by now there would be something to install over top of them that still allows the magnet to function, but protects it too so it isn’t bashed all the time.

#1018 5 years ago

Unfortunately I’m leaving this great club. My DH is on the Marketplace. I’m in California. PM me if interested

#1019 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

I’m about to tear mine down and get the shroom magnet out as well. Do they make something to go over the magnet? With that being said...Are magnets still exposed on new games? I figured by now there would be something to install over top of them that still allows the magnet to function, but protects it too so it isn’t bashed all the time.

I agree why didnt they make some sort of a cover? not many have exposed magnet.
was pia getting it out good luck

#1020 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I agree why didnt they make some sort of a cover? not many have exposed magnet.
was pia getting it out good luck

Thanks! I hope to have it done in the next few weekends. I really don’t see the need for a magnet in this game at all. Seems like all they needed to do was make the ball gates open and close during certain modes. The skill shot that requires the magnet could have simply relied on left or right gate to be closed to send your ball back down the right side to shoot for ramp skill shot. Same could be done for the magna force light. I think once it’s lit all it does is catches your ball and drops it, just like the skill shot.
I’m not 100% sure that’s how the magna force works during gameplay, as mine isn’t working at all right now, but I think it would have worked using gates instead.

#1021 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

I had the mushroomed magnet as well. So bad that it indented the play field. Chose to do a complete tear so I could add Cliffy’s to other locations as well Filled in the divot with 2 part JBWeld 8265S. Purchased a new magnet but used the old one to install flush in the hole (needed to file down the mushroom first) so to create a dam so the JB wouldn’t go in the hole. Covered the top of the magnet with blue tape. After I sanded it down, I painted it, then installed a Cliffy’s 1 5/16 Mylar Hole Protector. Around that I installed a Mylar circle from Marco’s that comes in a 33 pc. set. Perfect fit! If you install your repaired or new magnet flush to the Cliffy, it should last for years.

0A4F67B6-49CD-4939-808E-BE3FDCFA8128 (resized).jpeg0A4F67B6-49CD-4939-808E-BE3FDCFA8128 (resized).jpeg
#1022 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

I had the mushroomed magnet as well. So bad that it indented the play field. Chose to do a complete tear so I could add Cliffy’s to other locations as well Filled in the divot with 2 part JBWeld 8265S. Purchased a new magnet but used the old one to install flush in the hole (needed to file down the mushroom first) so to create a dam so the JB wouldn’t go in the hole. Covered the top of the magnet with blue tape. After I sanded it down, I painted it, then installed a Cliffy’s 1 5/16 Mylar Hole Protector. Around that I installed a Mylar circle from Marco’s that comes in a 33 pc. set. Perfect fit! If you install your repaired or new magnet flush to the Cliffy, it should last for years.
[quoted image]

Wow I like the look and sound of that! Nice job!

#1023 5 years ago

Someone was smart and epoxied a 1/8 inch round plastic over the magnet on my machine. It seems to still grab fine and there is absolutely no wear. I thought it was factory installed until I read posts about mushrooming magnets.

#1024 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Someone was smart and epoxied a 1/8 inch round plastic over the magnet on my machine. It seems to still grab fine and there is absolutely no wear. I thought it was factory installed until I read posts about mushrooming magnets.

Hmm. I’d have that stuff everywhere haha. Another great idea though.

#1025 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Thanks! I hope to have it done in the next few weekends. I really don’t see the need for a magnet in this game at all. Seems like all they needed to do was make the ball gates open and close during certain modes. The skill shot that requires the magnet could have simply relied on left or right gate to be closed to send your ball back down the right side to shoot for ramp skill shot. Same could be done for the magna force light. I think once it’s lit all it does is catches your ball and drops it, just like the skill shot.
I’m not 100% sure that’s how the magna force works during gameplay, as mine isn’t working at all right now, but I think it would have worked using gates instead.

The magnet actually makes the game allot more fun..my wasnt working from the time i got it..
Since getting it fixed I gravitated to playing the game allot more

#1026 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Can you snap a photo of the cover? wondering what they used

thanks

#1027 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

The magnet actually makes the game allot more fun..my wasnt working from the time i got it..
Since getting it fixed I gravitated to playing the game allot more

What was the problem with yours? Mine doesn’t work really either.

#1028 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

So mine would not work in diagnostic test. The opto would trigger but magnet wouldn’t trigger. It would pulse in solenoid. It would sometimes grab in game on first ramp shot. Never worked when the magna Save inlane was activated.

#1029 5 years ago

I heard something about the angle of the game could mess with the magnet timing and actions. Is this true? What angle do you guys have your DH set at? Mine is about 6 degrees I think. Maybe 6.2

#1030 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Can you snap a photo of the cover? wondering what they used
thanks

Next time I’m under there I will.

Quoted from Magicmike0:

I heard something about the angle of the game could mess with the magnet timing and actions. Is this true? What angle do you guys have your DH set at? Mine is about 6 degrees I think. Maybe 6.2

My table is close to 6.5. If I get any steeper I have troubles making the super jackpot from the gun.

#1031 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

What does/doesnt your magnet do? Work in test mode? any times in game? let me know

#1032 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

What does/doesnt your magnet do? Work in test mode? any times in game? let me know

As far as I can tell it doesn’t work at all. Seemed like it may have working occasionally, but it could have just been the ball smacking that bracket above the magnet, and rolling back down. A few days ago I finally got a broken magnet test error. My buddy looked at it, and he thinks it could be the board.

CAE0FA14-66E9-4DF8-B0A3-D147DA612EF7 (resized).pngCAE0FA14-66E9-4DF8-B0A3-D147DA612EF7 (resized).png

#1033 5 years ago

I would reseat the mag coil connector under the playfield just to try something easy.. then see if it pulses in the solenoid test ..
If not then agree check the flipper board. There are two connectors that supply power to the magnet ( a red white and yellow/ ? ) .

#1034 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I would reseat the mag coil connector under the playfield just to try something easy.. then see if it pulses in the solenoid test ..
If not then agree check the flipper board. There are two connectors that supply power to the magnet ( a red white and yellow/ ? ) .

I’ll give it a try when I get back to my bro’s this weekend. I’m keepig it there until I can make some room.
Also any of you guys that orders carbon fiber cliffy for the magnet, was it a custom order or are they pretty typical sizes? Which one did you get? I emailed cliffy a few days ago through the website. I’m sure he’s a busy guy.

#1035 5 years ago

Still have my DH for sale. Located in Southern California. PM me if interested

#1036 5 years ago

Found my diamond in the rough at a great price, dirty as fuck with a few issues. It was in a dude's house for over 21 years. Total plays said less than 450. Not sure about that but the goodie bag was still there...check out the before and after...not a scratch on her

received_1023384837854215 (resized).jpegreceived_1023384837854215 (resized).jpegreceived_627900414339181 (resized).jpegreceived_627900414339181 (resized).jpegreceived_780547395652042 (resized).jpegreceived_780547395652042 (resized).jpegreceived_984024831986433 (resized).jpegreceived_984024831986433 (resized).jpegreceived_1345580212246693 (resized).jpegreceived_1345580212246693 (resized).jpegreceived_1953350711429506 (resized).jpegreceived_1953350711429506 (resized).jpegreceived_720175181717483 (resized).jpegreceived_720175181717483 (resized).jpegreceived_404837520281349 (resized).jpegreceived_404837520281349 (resized).jpegreceived_259869718232078 (resized).jpegreceived_259869718232078 (resized).jpegreceived_649364025497703 (resized).jpegreceived_649364025497703 (resized).jpeg20190314_191147 (resized).jpg20190314_191147 (resized).jpg20190314_194123 (resized).jpg20190314_194123 (resized).jpg20190317_150930 (resized).jpg20190317_150930 (resized).jpg20190314_194332 (resized).jpg20190314_194332 (resized).jpg20190318_180643 (resized).jpg20190318_180643 (resized).jpg20190321_170755 (resized).jpg20190321_170755 (resized).jpg
#1037 5 years ago

Nice! Owner put the blades and back sticker on? I don’t think those were original.

#1038 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Nice! Owner put the blades and back sticker on? I don’t think those were original.

I put them on after I got her cleaned up and going 100%. I just finished the LED swap.

#1039 5 years ago

I love seeing machines come to life. Nice work!!

#1040 5 years ago

kidchrisso those results are just elbow grease and novus?

#1041 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Found my diamond in the rough at a great price, dirty as fuck with a few issues. It was in a dude's house for over 21 years. Total plays said less than 450. Not sure about that but the goodie bag was still there...check out the before and after...not a scratch on her
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That HQ hole has absolutely no wear! Great find.

#1042 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

kidchrisso those results are just elbow grease and novus?

It was at first then switched to bleach white and magic eraser, go at it lightly, then bring in novus 2 followed by 4 coats of carnauba wax. Worked awesome.

#1043 5 years ago

When you say bleach white do you mean this product?

25EDE882-DD70-46AD-9EAB-0498062A53C3 (resized).png25EDE882-DD70-46AD-9EAB-0498062A53C3 (resized).png
#1045 5 years ago

My playfield art is different. Which is the more common

Looks awesome though

#1046 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

My playfield art is different. Which is the more common
Looks awesome though

Whats different? Post pics

#1047 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Looks similar to my DH I used to own- Mine was a re-import from Japan, and looked as if it was NEVER played.

Great find!!!

#1048 5 years ago

I will look ... after staring at basketball for few days i could easily be mistaken

I thought the insert are was but
Now uncertain.

#1049 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I put them on after I got her cleaned up and going 100%. I just finished the LED swap.

Beautiful! I wish I was so lucky to find one hardly touched. I love mine though. Paid more than I wanted, but the guy I bought it from is an honest helpful guy. He said I could even trade it down the road if I wanted too, once he got new machines I was interested in. I plan to keep it for many years to come, though.
Again, very nice find. Happy for you

#1050 5 years ago

All you need now is a color dmd. I swear it’s the best upgrade for the money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirty-harry-club/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.