E9505D85-A10C-4597-8779-0C27468E0BE8 (resized).jpeg
9CAB90A2-79D7-449A-B081-399AAC12A7AF (resized).jpeg
CDDB5CC5-DAFB-466A-887F-20BE45B97C3C (resized).jpeg
3802C139-4CAB-4084-AEB3-A339671FEA9D (resized).jpeg
13DE9C8C-47A3-46DB-A3C2-A6301CBF0924 (resized).jpeg
20230826_093554 (resized).jpg
20230826_093742 (resized).jpg
20230826_093718 (resized).jpg
There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.
#951 5 years ago

I put one in for the GI as the backbox light pulsing was driving me nuts. Works great--love it!

#952 5 years ago

I made it to crime wave today and got one arrest. Three arrests are insane! I’m still shaking a bit from the adrenaline rush. I fricken love this game!

#953 5 years ago

I made it to crime wave a few times , two arrests is my best so far. Came close to three once. Congrats.

#954 5 years ago

I’ve been putting off changing the magnet core, but is mushroomed to the point the ball gets stuck.
Did a tear down once before and stupidly didn’t replace then.
I think if I loosen and raise it there’s enough room to Dremel the edges smooth so I can slide it back down through the pf.
Has anyone done this?

#955 5 years ago

I just did mine. 1 hour work. Remove houses and loosen the ramps to be able to remove mag from top. Opto bracket will swivel with one screw out. Make sure to file flat or replace. Real smooth when done with no hang up.

#956 5 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I just did mine. 1 hour work. Remove houses and loosen the ramps to be able to remove mag from top. Opto bracket will swivel with one screw out. Make sure to file flat or replace. Real smooth when done with no hang up.

Hour isn’t bad. When I replaced the optos it took me a lot longer to loosen the ramps and get to it
Did you take the back wood panel off? That seemed to give me more room. Still wasn’t an easy project for me.
Did you get to the inner (middle) screw or the outer for the bracket

#957 5 years ago

So I must work super slowly. But was trying to label and clean
Big mess for tomorrw...
But look at that mag. Wonder it kept catching the ball

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#958 5 years ago

If anyone has a DH they want to sell,I’m in the market...

#959 5 years ago

I removed back panel and the outer screw for the optos.

#960 5 years ago

I have had continued issues with the magna save not working.(very sporadic, will sometimes work on initial plung) optos fine, continuity is there..
Ordered a new fliptronics board to see if that solves it. Aside from the two connectors on the flip board, if there is some other connection that plays a part I am not checking, please send me a message
than you

1 week later
#961 5 years ago

I just received an NOS translite I ordered from Marco as they have a few in stock. My sample game's had a couple nice scratches on the back and we can't have that!

I didn't know Marco had them and had called PPS on them about a year ago, but I wanted to know the condition, and the guy said he didn't know where they were and never called back about finding them.

As usual, Marco provided great customer service and was quick to respond to my questions about it. It's perfect, and now so will be my sample game. If you need one, I think they have some left.
DSCN6078 (resized).JPGDSCN6078 (resized).JPG

#962 5 years ago

One difference is the one that came out of the game is a high gloss finish, the NOS one is more a matte finish. Once in the game I can't tell the difference except no more scratches.

When I buy a TV I always go with a matte screen over a glossy one anyway for less glare.

1 week later
#963 5 years ago

I just got my second high score this morning using a different strategy than normal. Instead of starting a game using the magna save and trying for the ramp, I chose to constantly try to load the gun and shoot for the HQ. Even during feel lucky, I chose for the gun. Seemed to work out well for me. I usually play games and avoid the gun but not today. This game is so underrated!

20181223_073504 (resized).jpg20181223_073504 (resized).jpg
#964 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

. Instead of starting a game using the magna save and trying for the ramp, I chose to constantly try to load the gun and shoot for the HQ. ...

Problem with that is you don't advance your rank which is a big deal

#965 5 years ago

I usually shoot the gun, just since it's cool. And my score isn't going to be great anyway.

#966 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I usually shoot the gun, just since it's cool. And my score isn't going to be great anyway.

Fair enough.
HQ shot is VERY easy, you need to learn it till it's second nature.
You need to advance the rank to light shit and then finally get the 5x PF multipler. Set that up with with a fat MB super jackpot and BAM! That's why you play. I mean it doesn't have to be but start rolling some advanced techniques in there and planning ahead; Another kind of fun.

#968 5 years ago

When you light the left inlane for mag save, does it pretty much always grab the ball when you get it to the mag?

#969 5 years ago

It should always grab it.

#970 5 years ago

THats what I thought.
I’ve exhausted replacing everything involved with the magnet. It still
Doesn’t activate in mag test, and only grabs it on the initial
Ramp shot. Is there a rom that could
Be bad and not signaling the magnet to activate?

#971 5 years ago

Huh, I just had the newest ROMs and it always worked.

#972 5 years ago

Just wondering if my rom Is possibly bad, if that could be the problem

#973 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

THats what I thought.
I’ve exhausted replacing everything involved with the magnet. It still
Doesn’t activate in mag test, and only grabs it on the initial
Ramp shot. Is there a rom that could
Be bad and not signaling the magnet to activate?

Do you have the door open when you run the test? It wont work since the door opens disables the high voltage (unless you have the switch closed while testing). If its grabbing the ball on the plunge while choosing ramp shot, then the magnet works. No, its no the rom. My guess is that the left inlane switch is out of adjustment and not actually activating the magnet. Check the switch in test mode (with a ball, not your finger).

#974 5 years ago

Door closed and it only activates the opto in test.
The inlane switch comes up as it should in test mode as well
Has to be something obscure, that’s I thought a rom

#975 5 years ago

Hi I need some tips with my DH.

Love the game but I can't seem to get the ball through working properly. I've taken it out and cleaned it thoroughly. There are no divots in it. The machine have very little milage.

Even when the through is cleaned the balls don't want to move all the way to the right which in turn confuses the game and cause multiball to behave strange. Sometimes it doesn't launch all balls, and sometimes it does. Any idea how to mitigate it?

I also have trouble adjusting the magnet. I think this is a stupid solution to let the ball "fall" and bounce around from the shooter lane onto the magnet. It rarely catches the ball and when it does it usually still sits there even though I have adjusted it sliiightly raised over the pf. Need to nudge it almost every time.

Any ideas and tricks to all of this would be much appreciated.

#976 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just received an NOS translite I ordered from Marco as they have a few in stock. My sample game's had a couple nice scratches on the back and we can't have that!
I didn't know Marco had them and had called PPS on them about a year ago, but I wanted to know the condition, and the guy said he didn't know where they were and never called back about finding them.
As usual, Marco provided great customer service and was quick to respond to my questions about it. It's perfect, and now so will be my sample game. If you need one, I think they have some left.
[quoted image]

thanks I just ordered one after seeing your post! I have been looking for weeks for a DH and now have the translite for whenever one pops up lol

#977 5 years ago

Does anyone know how many DH samples/prototypes with the drop target in front of the warehouse were produced? I read 200 somewhere, but that seems low.

#978 5 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Hi I need some tips with my DH.
Love the game but I can't seem to get the ball through working properly. I've taken it out and cleaned it thoroughly. There are no divots in it. The machine have very little milage.
Even when the through is cleaned the balls don't want to move all the way to the right which in turn confuses the game and cause multiball to behave strange. Sometimes it doesn't launch all balls, and sometimes it does. Any idea how to mitigate it?
I also have trouble adjusting the magnet. I think this is a stupid solution to let the ball "fall" and bounce around from the shooter lane onto the magnet. It rarely catches the ball and when it does it usually still sits there even though I have adjusted it sliiightly raised over the pf. Need to nudge it almost every time.
Any ideas and tricks to all of this would be much appreciated.

Are the balls magnetized by any chance?

Magnet core should be flush w/of.

Just a couple of thoughts.

2 weeks later
#979 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Are the balls magnetized by any chance?
Magnet core should be flush w/of.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Yup, I installed new mechs today and checked the balls. One of them was very magnetized and made all balls sticky in the tray. Swapped it out and no issues with that anymore.

#980 5 years ago

One thing I have never liked about DH is that you can't clearly see the top roll over lamps for the ransom multiplier. So when I was installing the backboard decal I added a few leds in parallel with the insert lamps. There's a 150 ohm resistor in series with each led. I just drilled holes through the backboard, hotglued the leds in place and then put the decal over the top so the leds shine through.
IMG_6661 (resized).JPGIMG_6661 (resized).JPGIMG_6663 (resized).JPGIMG_6663 (resized).JPGIMG_6668 (resized).JPGIMG_6668 (resized).JPG

#981 5 years ago

Mine had those as well. You can also just put some sockets there and jump some wires up.

dh (resized).jpgdh (resized).jpg
#982 5 years ago

I am shopping out a DH for a friend and it could use some new sling plastics. Does anyone have any for sale?

#983 5 years ago

I found mine on EBay

#984 5 years ago

What’s the going rate for this game in good condition, no play field wear, cabinet not all beat up and faded?

#985 5 years ago

I’ll take a shot. I’m gonna say low three’s. Nice shape maybe 3200,3300? My 2 cents.

#986 5 years ago

It's a $3,000 game right now and I only see it going up faster than others. Great player!!!

#987 5 years ago

Tough game to find here on the West Coast. It took me years to find one here in California. I just acquired one and spent $3200 on it. It did have a color DMD...and it was a bit rough in terms of condition.

1 week later
#988 5 years ago

I'm having an intermittent problem with the Magna Save on Dirty Harry. At the beginning of the game, if I choose "Ramp Shot" and shoot the ball, the Magna Save sometimes grabs the ball and won't let go until ball search is performed by the machine. It then releases the ball and all is fine. I just got this machine yesterday and unsure where to start. Thanks.

#989 5 years ago

are you sure the magnet is staying active and not letting the ball go, or could the ball just be resting on a divot or groove? Make sure the magnet is flush and smooth with the playfield. Also you can check the magnet in diagnostics to see if it is working properly.

#990 5 years ago

Make sure your pinballs aren't magnetized. Seems weird they'd be magnetized enough to stick to the magnet core. But, lay them all out on a hard flat surface, so they're touching, and see if you grab one if it separates or pulls the next one along.

#991 5 years ago

Had that same issue, my magnet is sliiightly mushroomed so I was tinkering with the leveling and thread position of it, but it turns out it was the balls that got magnetized, some more than others.

Just replace all the balls with new ones when you notice any magnetizing issues.

#992 5 years ago

How many plays, or how long, before the new ball(s) become magnetized? What are others experiencing?

#993 5 years ago

I've noticed that when I go into test menu T.4 Solenoid Test, the menu scrolls as though being tested, but nothing actually moves. No slings, trap door, jet bumpers...every item in solenoid test scrolls, but no action. The same occurs on T.5 Flashers, T.12 Flipper coils. Display shows being tested, but nothing moves. I do not have a credit dot and everything works great in actual play, except it has no GI lighting in the upper playfield left corner of about 8 bulbs. ( I figure that a loose wire for that run)

I will mention that I just purchased Dirty Harry and The Flintstones together, and The Flintstones test the exact same way. No movement of solenoids in test mode either but everything works fine. I do have a credit dot for the Flintstones (Check Switch 76 Machine Enter ).

My other Williams/WPC Fire, Doctor Who, Getaway High Speed, don't work this way in test mode. Is this inherent in those years Williams or do I have issues?

Thanks.

#994 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

No slings, trap door, jet bumpers...every item in solenoid test scrolls, but no action....

You have to have the coin door interlock pushed, or shut the door. It's intentionally turning off the high voltage

#995 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

I'm having an intermittent problem with the Magna Save on Dirty Harry. At the beginning of the game, if I choose "Ramp Shot" and shoot the ball, the Magna Save sometimes grabs the ball and won't let go until ball search is performed by the machine. It then releases the ball and all is fine. I just got this machine yesterday and unsure where to start. Thanks.

This happens on mine once in a while. If I give the cabinet a good shake it pops out, so I believe it's just the ball getting stuck rather than being trapped by the magnet. The ball search gets it out also, but I think that's just the effect of the magnet going on and off moving the ball around. I've replaced the balls recently, so it's not that.

#996 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You have to have the coin door interlock pushed, or shut the door. It's intentionally turning off the high voltage

Thanks TheLaw! That was it!

#997 5 years ago

seah20s, As law said, high-voltage needs to be actuated- Did your game come with this part by chance? this is a bracket used to depress the HV button/switch while the coin door is open.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11791

#998 5 years ago

My upper left string GI on the play field is out and I started chasing wires. Got to the back box and discovered this on J-115. The schematic on the machine says J-120 controls GI strings. I do not have a manual yet. Can anyone tell me if this is connected to the GI, or do I have an additional problem? The pin works great, so nothing except for the GI that isn’t lighting is apparent.

1DC4F5D0-DC2E-407D-B588-7282099C93FB (resized).jpeg1DC4F5D0-DC2E-407D-B588-7282099C93FB (resized).jpeg9B37B849-D76D-4D86-BD59-7755DC9C3F57 (resized).jpeg9B37B849-D76D-4D86-BD59-7755DC9C3F57 (resized).jpegC2F9539B-1D83-4660-8C57-FACCB09E0E01 (resized).jpegC2F9539B-1D83-4660-8C57-FACCB09E0E01 (resized).jpeg
#999 5 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

seah20s, As law said, high-voltage needs to be actuated- Did your game come with this part by chance? this is a bracket used to depress the HV button/switch while the coin door is open.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11791

No, it did not. Thanks Seatmandan for the info. I'll add it to my cart!

#1000 5 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

I do not have a manual yet. Can anyone tell me if this is connected to the GI, or do I have an additional problem?

Full manual is downloadable from IPDB as a PDF file.
Yea, that's likely your problem. The manual shows J115 as being part of the GI. Look at pages 3-10 and 3-29

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 37.50
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirty-harry-club/page/20?hl=brewninja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.