E9505D85-A10C-4597-8779-0C27468E0BE8 (resized).jpeg
9CAB90A2-79D7-449A-B081-399AAC12A7AF (resized).jpeg
CDDB5CC5-DAFB-466A-887F-20BE45B97C3C (resized).jpeg
3802C139-4CAB-4084-AEB3-A339671FEA9D (resized).jpeg
13DE9C8C-47A3-46DB-A3C2-A6301CBF0924 (resized).jpeg
20230826_093554 (resized).jpg
20230826_093742 (resized).jpg
20230826_093718 (resized).jpg

There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 36.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I'm planning on getting one and can't decide between LCD and LED.

For me lcd always. Fattening up the dogs is a big deal to me and it looks great.

Well everyone sold mine yesterday. Loved the game but it was time to go. Enjoy everyone!

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:For me lcd always. Fattening up the dogs is a big deal to me and it looks great.
Well everyone sold mine yesterday. Loved the game but it was time to go. Enjoy everyone!

Suicide Jumper: Aren't you gonna try to grab me?

Harry Callahan: A friend of mine was up about 20 floors with a jumper a few years ago. The jumper grabbed him, they went off, 20 floors down. Just mashed 'em all to bits. You couldn't tell which legs were which, you couldn't tell which arms were which, it was a terrible mess. And I'll tell ya, I almost threw up myself. I'd just like your name and address, that's all.

#903 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

kensurfs looks great! I have to get one. Question, is that an LED DMD or LCD one? I'm planning on getting one and can't decide between LCD and LED.

I got the LCD for this one. I have an LED in my World Cup Soccer. If you are going to have the dot matrix look it doesn’t matter. If you want the smooth look it has to be LCD. Ironically I have the dot matrix look on my Dirty Harry but I can change it if I want.

#904 5 years ago

Hi Guys, I started a tech thread with the sames questions for help. I thought I might get better coverage here(sorry for double dipping).
I put new batteries in my Dirty Harry. Now it resets to fac settings each time I turn it on. So when I first turned on the game after new batteries and the sound didn't work? I thought I must have moved a plug or unplug something by mistake. The odd thing is that I played one ball without the sound. The second ball was waiting to be put in play, still no sound. But than the machine gives me a call out to hurry up (I think that is what it said) but no other music or other sounds?

So one I need to fix the battery problem, I assume I unplugged it from the board or something.

So how can I only get some but not all sounds? Not sure how to fix this?

Thank you guys in advance for the help

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

new batteries

Check to make sure the new batteries are good. They should be at least 1.5 volts. Sometime you get a bad one.
Try reseating the all the ribbon cables on all the boards.

#906 5 years ago

Thanks, will do.

Quoted from smiley:

Check to make sure the new batteries are good. They should be at least 1.5 volts. Sometime you get a bad one.
Try resetting the all the ribbon cables on all the boards.

#907 5 years ago
Quoted from smiley:Check to make sure the new batteries are good. They should be at least 1.5 volts. Sometime you get a bad one.
Try resetting the all the ribbon cables on all the boards.

So I went to check the cables. I thought I would do a sound test first. Test went great, could hear each one. So I backed out of the menu and tried a game. All sounds work now. Well that's pinball. Still need to double check the batteries.

Thanks for the help

#908 5 years ago

Just got mine this past weekend, it's my first pin. Love it so far.

#909 5 years ago

anyone have issue with magna save only work on initial ramp shootout? it works on that one shot, but then when save is lit by rollover it wont grab it.
just replaced opto. Bought whole new magnet system before I replace, wondering if there is something else? in test mode mode it never grabs it, I was surprised it worked in game

#910 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

in test mode mode it never grabs it, I was surprised it worked in game

Are you testing it with the coin door closed?

Did you check the inlane switch?

#911 5 years ago

Yes tested with coin door closed. The solenoid wont ever grab it.. and inlane(magna rollover switch?) shows active
I would think it wasnt working at all, but then on that first ball it says save.. maybe the coil is suspect? I know the magnet core looks mushroomed.
Just trying to make sure a new one should solve it before undertaking the project
thanks

#912 5 years ago

btw how is this game not higher rated.. maybe I am biased being an eastwood fan forever, but it has allot good shots..

#913 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

btw how is this game not higher rated.. maybe I am biased being an eastwood fan forever, but it has allot good shots..

Just not a super common game. Growing up/working in arcade in 80s 90s I never played it till I bought it.

Yeah Jeez I don't know... Did you factory reset it? Maybe a menu option for the time between switch and opto to activate magnet? Seems unlikely but it the opto, switch, and mag all work i don't know what to do

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Dirty Harry was my first pin too. I still have it.

20180604_185802 (resized).jpg20180604_185802 (resized).jpg
#915 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Dirty Harry was my first pin too. I still own it!

#916 5 years ago

So there is no way to delete posts once submitted? Sorry about the double post. I didn't intend to add the pic but just magically showed up when I posted.

2 weeks later
#918 5 years ago

Newb here, having a weird problem with my gun. When I start it up, it usually plays fine for a few games, but then the gun won’t stop rotating back and forth and the game won’t use it anymore. The weird part is, other aspects of the game change too after the malfunction- it auto plunges, the ball save gets very generous, and if you start any of the hurry ups the timer doesn’t count down. Disabling the gun in the settings makes the other issues stop. After the malfunction there’s a credit dot and the test message says “gun broken.” Before the malfunction there’s no credit dot.

Another time after the malfunction, the test message said to check switches 44 (gun chamber), 45 (gun popper), 76 (gun position), and 77 (gun lockup). When I run a test on each individual switch, 45 is closed and displays an (A), while the other three are open. I'm not sure what any of that means. There is also a gun test, but that looks like it's just testing whether the gun will move and rotate properly, which it does.

Any suggestions- especially bearing in mind that I know almost nothing about pinball repair, tools, etc. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and have learned quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, but am still getting started. So, idiot-proof explanations would be appreciated. Thanks!

#919 5 years ago

Having an issue with DH awarding super jackpot repeatedly during multi-ball. Thought it might be a stuck switch but then realized the optos on ramp. Anyone else have issues with the opto's?

#920 5 years ago
Quoted from MrFancy:

Newb here, having a weird problem with my gun. When I start it up, it usually plays fine for a few games, but then the gun won’t stop rotating back and forth and the game won’t use it anymore. The weird part is, other aspects of the game change too after the malfunction- it auto plunges, the ball save gets very generous, and if you start any of the hurry ups the timer doesn’t count down. Disabling the gun in the settings makes the other issues stop. After the malfunction there’s a credit dot and the test message says “gun broken.” Before the malfunction there’s no credit dot.
Another time after the malfunction, the test message said to check switches 44 (gun chamber), 45 (gun popper), 76 (gun position), and 77 (gun lockup). When I run a test on each individual switch, 45 is closed and displays an (A), while the other three are open. I'm not sure what any of that means. There is also a gun test, but that looks like it's just testing whether the gun will move and rotate properly, which it does.
Any suggestions- especially bearing in mind that I know almost nothing about pinball repair, tools, etc. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and have learned quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, but am still getting started. So, idiot-proof explanations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the world of pinball ownership and repair! You have come to the right place, as people on pinside are very helpful and knowledgeable. Whenever I have an issue,the first thing I do is search the forums. Forums are loaded with wonderful information that can help with your problems. There are several posts within describing similar problems. I have looked them over and it seems you have an issue with the gun home switch. The gun when it calibrates looks for a switch to tell it to stop in the home position. Since yours does not stop, I would start there. Look for any frayed or loose wires near the gun assembly. If you don’t have a soldering iron you will need to get one. Check switches in test mode to make sure they are all working. Switch 45 is closed on my machine however I am not sure what the “A” represents either. Hopefully you can find the switch that is not working. Lastly, most of the problems I have encountered often times are remedied by simply cleaning.

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Hello and welcome to the world of pinball ownership and repair! You have come to the right place, as people on pinside are very helpful and knowledgeable. Whenever I have an issue,the first thing I do is search the forums. Forums are loaded with wonderful information that can help with your problems. There are several posts within describing similar problems. I have looked them over and it seems you have an issue with the gun home switch. The gun when it calibrates looks for a switch to tell it to stop in the home position. Since yours does not stop, I would start there. Look for any frayed or loose wires near the gun assembly. If you don’t have a soldering iron you will need to get one. Check switches in test mode to make sure they are all working. Switch 45 is closed on my machine however I am not sure what the “A” represents either. Hopefully you can find the switch that is not working. Lastly, most of the problems I have encountered often times are remedied by simply cleaning.

Thanks. In terms of looking stuff up first, I always do- it's only fair to try to answer your own questions first before you ask other people to spend time helping you. But, I'm at such a low level with this stuff that I can't really interpret or use a lot of the information that's out there yet. For instance, my first issue was a broken flipper. I watched/read several tutorials, but they weren't that useful since the flippers in the tutorials weren't laid out like mine, or they skipped over the really basic stuff that I need, etc. Instead, it took hours and hours, and many people on here patiently answering my dumb questions. But I got it in the end, rebuilt all my flippers, and I have a decent understanding of the mechanics of flippers now. By the same token, if I had a ramp with a broken switch or something I'm sure there are plenty of resources out there, but I have no idea where to even start looking with something like the gun. I've seen a lot of those posts you mentioned but I don't really know enough to implement what they're talking about. Anyways though that's good advice to look for frayed or loose wires near the gun, and that a lot of problems just require cleaning to resolve- I can start with that!

#922 5 years ago

I’m looking to replace my broken plastic that goes above the right inlane guide. I’ve found the left one for sale online, and know I could buy the entire plastic set, but I would love to buy just this individual piece, if possible. Please let me know if you have one you would be willing to part with. Thank you!

440C506D-17D0-4CAE-9374-1A70CDAEC9A5 (resized).png440C506D-17D0-4CAE-9374-1A70CDAEC9A5 (resized).png
#923 5 years ago

I'm in need of a set of cabinet decals for Dirty Harry to restore my game. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciated it.

#925 5 years ago

DH was my first game also. Very underrated.

#926 5 years ago

I got 2 arrests last night during crime wave and got super excited. I thought, OMFG, I get to get the last default score on my machine! Game ended, no score. Forgot you had to get 3 and not 2...doh! Oh well. The GF was there and saw I got 2, so I have a witness Couldn't believe it. First time I have ever even gotten 1, then I got 2!

1 week later
#927 5 years ago

I started to tribute this pinball with a quality custom cards, I hope! Opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Here is my result:

"Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (WILLIAMS). Designed by Zona Arcade & Mikonos.
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Rules.%20Mikonos1.jpg

Details in "Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Instructions" (WILLIAMS). Designed by Zona Arcade & Mikonos.
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Rules.%20Mikonos2.jpg
Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos1.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos1.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos2.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos2.jpg

*I take bigger screenshots and photos, click to enlarge images (and click again on display image mode if it is necessary) for avoid blur effect of pinside´s miniatures.

I redesigned "Dirty Harry Logo".

Regards

1 month later
#928 5 years ago

Well, I just finished with my Free Play Card!

First, I have tell you than I design for printing in chrome vinyl:
a6fc4c335c59d9b1a798ffb4338c84b9fee682ce.jpga6fc4c335c59d9b1a798ffb4338c84b9fee682ce.jpg

In this way, look at bullets impacts!

"Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Rules" (WILLIAMS). Designed by Zona Arcade & Mikonos.
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos1.jpg

Details in "Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Instructions" (WILLIAMS). Designed by Zona Arcade & Mikonos.
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/capturas/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20-%20Free%20Play.%20Mikonos2.jpg
Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos1.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos1.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos2.jpgDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play. Mikonos2.jpg

*I take bigger screenshots and photos, click to enlarge images (and click again on display image mode if it is necessary) for avoid blur effect of pinside´s miniatures.

Regards

1 week later
#929 5 years ago

I have a Dirty Harry with led lights for the GI.

Are they supposed to strobe really quick during certain times in the game? It stops after hitting a shot. Is it normal behavior or is it normally supposed to just dim the standard bulbs and the leds go crazy from this?

I also experience that the game sometimes doesn't kick out the balls properly during multiball. I don't have any error reports and the game counts the balls fine. Though I have seen that the ball doesn't go all the way in the through sometimes when the ball drains. I need to shake it in position for the game to end. I have tried increasing and decreasing the playfield angle but that doesn't seem to help much.

Besides this the game plays fine.

#930 5 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

I have a Dirty Harry with led lights for the GI.
Are they supposed to strobe really quick during certain times in the game? It stops after hitting a shot. Is it normal behavior or is it normally supposed to just dim the standard bulbs and the leds go crazy from this?
I also experience that the game sometimes doesn't kick out the balls properly during multiball. I don't have any error reports and the game counts the balls fine. Though I have seen that the ball doesn't go all the way in the through sometimes when the ball drains. I need to shake it in position for the game to end. I have tried increasing and decreasing the playfield angle but that doesn't seem to help much.
Besides this the game plays fine.

The led bulbs don’t like to dim like the incandescent so you will get flickering. You can turn dimming off in the settings, that will solve your problem. Or you can purchase an LED OCD board that will allow leds to dim properly. As for your ball trough, most likely your balls are magnetized and not moving down the trough properly. Use carbon core balls as they will hold less magnetism and possibly purchase a shim to help. Here is one from Marco.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

Also make sure your trough is smooth and clean.

#931 5 years ago

Ok, so the game is actually dimming the bulbs during this particular sequence?

The strobing is kind of fun. Makes it very difficult to track the ball.

Is there a way to demagnetize them? I will buy new balls otherwise. Thanks!

#932 5 years ago

If I recall, they dim when you start multiball. It was pretty extreme and almost seizure inducing. Someday I may try to add the ocd board but for now I just have them off. I don’t think you can really demagnetize the balls since as soon as the magnet save turns on it will charge them up again. I had to put a shim in my machine With new balls and haven’t had a problem since.

#933 5 years ago

Ok that makes sense!

Sorry I don't follow, where and how did you install a (metal?) shim? What does it do?

#934 5 years ago

Been looking for a DH for a very long time. Anyone here looking to leave the club? Looking for one in nice players condition

#935 5 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Been looking for a DH for a very long time. Anyone here looking to leave the club? Looking for one in nice players condition

Too bad your on the opposite coast, I’ll be listing a nice one soon.

#936 5 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Ok that makes sense!
Sorry I don't follow, where and how did you install a (metal?) shim? What does it do?

The shim comes either metal or plastic. It makes the ball roll at a slightly steeper angle and since they are new, the ball rolls on them better. I first went with the plastic one as it was cheap, and it worked great. But it will eliminate the clunk you hear when the ball hits the trough. I didn’t like that (yes I’m anal like that) so I bought a metal one off eBay. Super easy to install, just lift the playfield and rest it on a the rails and slide the shim in. You don’t have to even remove the balls. About as easy a fix you can have. Oh, before you put one in, wax the shim first for even better performance.

#937 5 years ago

ebay.com link: Pinball Ball Trough Repair Sleeve

This is the one I got on eBay.

I have to admit, for the price the plastic one works just as good and 1/4 the price.

1 week later
#938 5 years ago

Got to Crime Wave and popped mine for a billy for the first time tonight. Awwww yeah.

#939 5 years ago

I got to crime wave a few weeks ago, and got crazy excited. I got 2 arrests and started flipping out thinking I was actually going to get on the leader board. My girlfriend was looking at me all weird and I explained how its a running joke that probably single digits of people have gotten their name on that its so hard. Game over and sad face. You have to get 3 to get on the board, 2 only ties

#940 5 years ago

A lot of us have 2 arrests... Not many have 3

#941 5 years ago
awtlk (resized).jpgawtlk (resized).jpg
#942 5 years ago

Still wanting to join this club. Anybody have one for sale or even a lead? I’d even consider shipping to the west coast if the right deal came up. PM me. Thanks

1 week later
#943 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

The shim comes either metal or plastic. It makes the ball roll at a slightly steeper angle and since they are new, the ball rolls on them better. I first went with the plastic one as it was cheap, and it worked great. But it will eliminate the clunk you hear when the ball hits the trough. I didn’t like that (yes I’m anal like that) so I bought a metal one off eBay. Super easy to install, just lift the playfield and rest it on a the rails and slide the shim in. You don’t have to even remove the balls. About as easy a fix you can have. Oh, before you put one in, wax the shim first for even better performance.

Forgot to respond. Thanks for the idea. I took a better look at my through and it was pretty dirty further in and wasn't very smooth so I will take it apart and clean it with steel wool.

1 week later
#944 5 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Still wanting to join this club. Anybody have one for sale or even a lead? I’d even consider shipping to the west coast if the right deal came up. PM me. Thanks

Evan at OC Pinballs has two really nice Dirty Harrys for sale last time I was by there. Cash deal should be able to bring the advertised price down substantially I'd presume. And no shipping would be necessary. They aren't sample games, but at least one of them is HUO, collector quality condition. Maybe both are.

#945 5 years ago

Thanks o-din. I inquired about the other one he had weeks ago asking for a few pictures seeing I’m over an hour and a half away from him....and he never responded. I’ve moved on.

#946 5 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Thanks o-din. I inquired about the other one he had weeks ago asking for a few pictures seeing I’m over an hour and a half away from him....and he never responded. I’ve moved on.

That's too bad. He a good dude but gets busy and goes out of town sometimes. I will say they were a couple of very clean examples.

#947 5 years ago

Found my players condition Dirty Harry. It needs a new speaker panel display. Anybody have a lead on a new one, gently used one or repro one? I reached out to two places out of the US who make repro ones and haven’t heard back from either of them.

#948 5 years ago

...and this is my "Free Play Card" printed.

"Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (WILLIAMS) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 1).
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20Free%20Play%20print1.jpg
Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print.JPGDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print.JPG
"Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (WILLIAMS) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 2).
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20Free%20Play%20print2.jpg
Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print2.JPGDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print2.JPG
"Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card - Free Play" (WILLIAMS) printed in chrome vinyl with gloss protective lamination (photo 3).
http://www.zonaarcade.com/fotos/artes/Dirty%20Harry%20Custom%20Pinball%20Card%20Free%20Play%20print3.jpg
Dirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print3.JPGDirty Harry Custom Pinball Card Free Play print3.JPG

Regards

#949 5 years ago

Anybody know of a nice used DH Speaker Panel Display I can buy? A repro one? A new one from someone in the U.S.? Appreciate any leads here as mine is an eye sore- deep scratched graffiti

#950 5 years ago

Has anyone put an led ocd board in their DH? Is it worth the $$$?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
There are 1,764 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirty-harry-club/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.