IMG_20190909_231038 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190909_195515 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I'm a masochist for terrible project games. Like seeing a homeless puppy, I lose sleep knowing there's broken dirty nasty games rotting in someone's barn. That I just have to rescue.
Last month I was driving through rural Indiana for a work trip, was bored on a few hour drive so looked up some amusement operators and started calling. Lucky me, first and closest one I called was a nice guy. Said I was looking for project games and he said he had just the one for me.

He was about 30 minutes back from where I came from but went for it. He took me back in this big detached barn/warehouse through bunches of converted arcades, redemption games and pool tables. Up the ramp to the loft and there was a Xenon and Mr. and Mrs. Pacman sitting off to the side. Pacman didn't really interest me, the Xenon looked to be in decent shape! Upon closer inspection, I found lots of playfield wear as expected, the backglass was 90% gone. We put down the head and I peeked inside and saw a complete boardset. Looking into the coin door it was filthy.

IMG_20181119_172230 (resized).jpgIMG_20181119_172230 (resized).jpgIMG_20181119_172321 (resized).jpgIMG_20181119_172321 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20181119_172407 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20181119_172407 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20181119_172812 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20181119_172812 (resized).jpgIMG_20181120_140420 (resized).jpgIMG_20181120_140420 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Ahhh... this is my kind of project.

Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

Upon getting it home and inspecting it - it was missing the Bally -54 transformer/rectifier setup... very bad news. I tried calling the operator and he knew and though I did. He said he never had it. I asked if I could have the one off the Mr. and Mrs. Pacman and he politely declined. Worth a shot.

I SCOURED years back of pinside/KLOV/RGB/tomshardware posts of people parting out games. Looking for similar transformers. Researching alternatives if I couldn't find it. Found a few of the rectifier boards, but the transformers were non-existant. Found a few for similar Bally SS, and they were $300-400.

A couple weeks later, I got EXTREMELY lucky and found an archived Spy Hunter partout ad. Contacted the seller and he just happened to have the transformer AND rectifier board setup. I was thrilled to pay $150.

#4 5 years ago

Hard to get any project for $200 - sucks it was missing the transformer. Good luck

#5 5 years ago

This brings us to this past weekend.
I finished up some other projects and directed some time to get a good assessment of the game, plug it in, and make a list of what it needs.

External cabinet is in pretty good shape! Will DEFINITELY need a new bottom to the cab, all sorts of crap in there.
It's filthy. There's literal dirt on the top and bottom of playfield and in the cabinet.
Guessing this was stored outside, with the glass off for a bit. Woof.

I popped fuses into the power board, tested the bridges and diodes.
Went to the game, inspected all the connectors. I found a few had burned and there were a variety of crappy hacks to counter it. But for the most part, they looked good.
Plugged in the transformer and tested voltages, also looked good.
Plugged the rest in, and I was very surprised to see it booted! Displays all turned on (albeit not completely) and the attract lights were cycling though.
I coined it up and tried to start a game. Sound works!
Coils didn't. I look on the underside of the playfield and see a fuse I missed.
Popped it in, tried again and ALL coils locked on.
Looking closer, it seems whatever "tech" was looking at it last had clipped half the coils in a "troubleshooting measure".

DSCN4531 (resized).JPGDSCN4531 (resized).JPGDSCN4532 (resized).JPGDSCN4532 (resized).JPGDSCN4533 (resized).JPGDSCN4533 (resized).JPGDSCN4534 (resized).JPGDSCN4534 (resized).JPGDSCN4543 (resized).JPGDSCN4543 (resized).JPGDSCN4537 (resized).JPGDSCN4537 (resized).JPGDSCN4538 (resized).JPGDSCN4538 (resized).JPGDSCN4539 (resized).JPGDSCN4539 (resized).JPGDSCN4540 (resized).JPGDSCN4540 (resized).JPGDSCN4542 (resized).JPGDSCN4542 (resized).JPGDSCN4544 (resized).JPGDSCN4544 (resized).JPG
#6 5 years ago

Did I mention this thing is filthy?
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

DSCN4575 (resized).JPGDSCN4575 (resized).JPGDSCN4576 (resized).JPGDSCN4576 (resized).JPGDSCN4594 (resized).JPGDSCN4594 (resized).JPGDSCN4595 (resized).JPGDSCN4595 (resized).JPGDSCN4577 (resized).JPGDSCN4577 (resized).JPGDSCN4561 (resized).JPGDSCN4561 (resized).JPGDSCN4571 (resized).JPGDSCN4571 (resized).JPGDSCN4567 (resized).JPGDSCN4567 (resized).JPGDSCN4573 (resized).JPGDSCN4573 (resized).JPG
#7 5 years ago

Today I pulled the playfield, used a firm wire brush to loosen all the dirt on the underside, then blow it off with compressed air.
Before and after:

DSCN4565 (resized).JPGDSCN4565 (resized).JPGDSCN4600 (resized).JPGDSCN4600 (resized).JPG
#8 5 years ago

Bringing it inside on the rotisserie, I tore down the top end, to find even more dirt. And some leaves, pretty much confirming it was sitting outside without the glass.
How the playfield isn't completely destroyed I don't know.
Did a softer brush and a vacuum everywhere that worked decently. And that's where she sits now.

DSCN4597 (resized).JPGDSCN4597 (resized).JPGDSCN4598 (resized).JPGDSCN4598 (resized).JPGDSCN4594 (resized).JPGDSCN4594 (resized).JPGDSCN4599 (resized).JPGDSCN4599 (resized).JPG
#9 5 years ago

Man, that is one beat up and dirty machine... I could never do what you are doing. But, I really appreciate that people like you do this work and rescue these machines. I'm the type of person that just plunks money down and plays machines. But, its really great you're doing this.
And I really enjoy reading these threads, because in another world I would actually like to do restorations... Might have to fave this thread so I can keep track of the updates and progress...
I'm really interested in what you're going to do with the playfield. And I figure Xenon shouldn't be too hard to track a replacement backglass... Shouldn't be...

#11 5 years ago

Make sure you get a tetanus shot... daily...

In all seriousness I love when people do their best to bring even the most beat up machines back to life. Inspiring in a way because I have picked up similar em projects (usually in some kinda barn/workshop) and you sometime question your motives when you are literally digging dirt out of the cabinet.

#12 5 years ago

looks fine to me! probably New Out of Box.

#13 5 years ago

I'm in as a fellow LEP man club. I'd fumigate it as it's a good quality item.

#14 5 years ago

Isn't Xenon one of those playfields that have the thin wood overlay thing available?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Isn't Xenon one of those playfields that have the thin wood overlay thing available?

If you are talking about a hardtop...no not avalable. Vinyl overlay...yes

#16 5 years ago

Yeah, I just passed on a pretty decent Xenon @ $800, all nice, except for a crap playfield. Probably would have bought it if a hardtop was available..

#17 5 years ago

That looks like a fun project.

Xenon galore tips here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-re-populating-playfields

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Make sure you get a tetanus shot... daily...
In all seriousness I love when people do their best to bring even the most beat up machines back to life. Inspiring in a way because I have picked up similar em projects (usually in some kinda barn/workshop) and you sometime question your motives when you are literally digging dirt out of the cabinet.

Too true

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

If you are talking about a hardtop...no not avalable. Vinyl overlay...yes

Last night I made a playfield protector from the scan I have. I'll pick up some PETG from the local plastics place and cut it out.
http://petersenplastics.com/item/petg-2/
Should be under $20, not bad.

I'll also get some new rod there!
http://petersenplastics.com/item/extruded-rodtube/
6 feet for $12.50, very not bad! I believe they also have a laser cutter in house to cut it to length.

#20 5 years ago

Reached out to Electronmagic to see if I could scan his very nice original backglass.
He kindly invited me over, and I got some very nice scans!
The mirrors complicated the edges, so we'll see how that goes.
Going to clean it up in Photoshop, then do some research if I should print on a translite material or a vinyl sticker and apply it on the bare glass.

IMG_20190121_140123 (resized).jpgIMG_20190121_140123 (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago

Subscribing... This is so much better than "reality" tv.

#22 5 years ago

Nice pickup OP. I recognized that operators warehouse real quick. I pulled quite a few dbv's out from there and that's where I picked up my sopranos. It was a complete dumpster as well. Here's a pic of how every ball looked, speaks for the rest of the machine..

My ultrasonic did some overtime for that game.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Nice pickup OP. I recognized that operators warehouse real quick. I pulled quite a few dbv's out from there and that's where I picked up my sopranos. It was a complete dumpster as well. Here's a pic of how every ball looked, speaks for the rest of the machine..
My ultrasonic did some overtime for that game.
[quoted image]

Dbv?

Edit: googled it, dollar bill validators

#24 5 years ago

If you want a more solid PF I have a couple. They are worn but much cleaner than that. Mostly stripped but all light sockets, GI braid and more in place. Will bring to Pinfest and sell cheap.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

If you want a more solid PF I have a couple. They are worn but much cleaner than that. Mostly stripped but all light sockets, GI braid and more in place. Will bring to Pinfest and sell cheap.

I would but I have to be at my friend's wedding, thanks!

#26 5 years ago

Did a Photomerge in Photoshop. Turned out OK.
Not sure why I'm getting the thick stripes in the scan.
The mirrors in the corners wouldn't let me get a clean scan of the corners.
I snapped a couple pictures also that may just suffice

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#27 5 years ago

You need a transformer for that there's one on eBay right now

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Did a Photomerge in Photoshop. Turned out OK.
Not sure why I'm getting the thick stripes in the scan.
The mirrors in the corners wouldn't let me get a clean scan of the corners.
I snapped a couple pictures also that may just suffice
[quoted image]

Don't know about the thick stripes.
It looks really nice.
You're going to maybe want to clean it up a little bit with manual tweaks and editing. But, its looking good.
One suggestion. From the other backglass threads I've read.
I would measure out the distances and dimensions for all the display windows. And then in photoshop make sure those windows are in the right place and size. As the scale and position will probably be slightly off because of the nature of the scanning and recreation.
You're really going fast on this.
Can't wait to see more progress.

#29 5 years ago

I've got the back box outer frame and both glasses if your interested.

#30 5 years ago

This looks like a fun project. Subscribed.

1 week later
#31 5 years ago

This project will certainly be moving slow, have some priorities ahead of it.
That being said, I'm a lunatic and always thinking of what the next steps are for all my projects.

Took the backglass inside, it's not completely terrible!
The edges of the backglass were difficult to scan due to the little mirrors.
Mocked up the scans in Photoshop to see what's missing.
There's still some missing art, but hopefully the rest can easily be copied from elsewhere on the backglass.

Considering:
What's missing is more or less one big chunk
What's left on the sides and bottom are relatively well-intact
The intact parts have the mirror chrome effect
The chrome effect around "Xenon" is still on the glass

My thought was to make a mask of the missing material, print it out on a translite, and put it behind the backglass.
Confident I can get it to look pretty damn good.

OR

Don't fuck around and just print out a new complete translite, scrape off what's left of the old one and move on...

The hardest part would be matching the colors.
I have a Pantone, would that be a reliable reference to hand off to a printer?
Also, in the latter option, the color match wouldn't be so critical.

IMG_20190204_221102 (resized).jpgIMG_20190204_221102 (resized).jpgCapture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#32 5 years ago

On the printing the whole translite thought...
I popped off the mirrors, easy, just some foam and adhesive.
This will allow me to get scans of the corners I was missing and make one VERY nice translite on the computer!
Project for another day...

IMG_20190204_225750 (resized).jpgIMG_20190204_225750 (resized).jpg
#33 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Last month I was driving through rural Indiana for a work trip, was bored on a few hour drive so looked up some amusement operators and started calling. Lucky me, first and closest one I called was a nice guy. Said I was looking for project games and he said he had just the one for me.

Looks like 'Don's Amusements'? Got my AS Pro from him and he gave me the tour. Very interesting story of his family business. Scott was a great guy to deal with. Boy he has a LOT of arcade games. And pool tables. Like you said...just out in the boonies.

Marked as a 'Fav', will be interesting seeing the progress.

#34 5 years ago

I saw this ad on craigslist and it made me think of this thread. It might not fit in the “budget” aspect of this project but if you were dying for a backglass this might work. Maybe a pinsider could pick up and ship to you?

ventura.craigslist.org link

2 weeks later
#35 5 years ago

Froze my ass off in the garage for an hour tonight: stripped most of the hardware and wiring from the cabinet.
Used a dead blow hammer to knock out the bottom and in 2 hits it was on the ground.
Fell with a little black cloud of 38 years of doom.

At least the bottom is solid, will serve as a decent template for the new one.
What should I use? 1/2" ply?
What should I put around the border underneath? I think last time I just got some 1/2"x1/2" dowel rod.

Plan for the cabinet:
Make and install new bottom
Evaporust and tumble the hardware
The cabinet is in pretty decent shape structurally, maybe just some black touchups
Run new ground braid
Sand down the inside of the cabinet, maybe spray paint it
The legs seem to be decently spray painted. May keep them, or they would be a good first project for the sandblaster/powder coater at the hackerspace.

DSCN4629 (resized).JPGDSCN4629 (resized).JPGDSCN4663 (resized).JPGDSCN4663 (resized).JPGDSCN4668 (resized).JPGDSCN4668 (resized).JPGDSCN4671 (resized).JPGDSCN4671 (resized).JPGDSCN4673 (resized).JPGDSCN4673 (resized).JPG
#36 5 years ago

Damn that’s a dirty girl. Looking forward to the updates.

Dave

#37 5 years ago

So I measured the playfield scan I have and it seems to be perfect.
I'm going to print it out and see how it looks.
Getting authorized on the big boy laser at the hackerspace so I'll be able to cut a playfield protector!
Whipped it up tonight in Illustrator.

#38 5 years ago

Loving this thread

#39 5 years ago

No CPR options for XENON; or are you trying to keep this cheap?
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/xenon-2/

Ah... looks like the PF was sold out; but the BG hasn't been made yet.

Plastics:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/xenon/

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No CPR options for XENON; or are you trying to keep this cheap?
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/xenon-2/
Ah... looks like the PF was sold out; but the BG hasn't been made yet.
Plastics:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/xenon/

Trying to keep it cheap! Just want a dirty players game that will work forever
I'm already at around $500.
Partially because I splurged $50 on a flipper rebuild kit.

#41 5 years ago

Got authorized at the hackerspace today on the big laser!
Spent $17 and got a new plywood bottom. I was going to cut it in the woodshop, but the laser makes perfect circles so why not use that?
Went a little crazy and engraved a Xenon logo above the coin bucket location!

Also spent $12 on a sheet of PETG and cut a playfield protector. Got home and tried it out, a few things to tweak but for the most part it's perfect! Which means my playfield scan will make an excellent parent for an overlay.

MVIMG_20190221_215540 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190221_215540 (resized).jpgIMG_20190221_225151 (resized).jpgIMG_20190221_225151 (resized).jpg

#42 5 years ago

Protector looks good man...like the Xenon engraving. Little touches.

#43 5 years ago

Great thread to demonstrate how ingenuity and elbow grease can bring back even the worst game.

Dave

#44 5 years ago

This is a great recycling thread.I once resurrected a genesis from a populated pf,lock bar,transformer and power supply,wish more would.I call it Frank n pin,as made up of soo many parts.Now rethemed into a Skullduggery pleasant pin, great books btw

#45 5 years ago

Nice progress so far.

#46 5 years ago

Thank for the kind words, all!

Took 10 minutes and cut out the missing pieces: forgot one bulb and two posts. Had to cut some more material by the apron, biff bars, inlanes and the 4 rollovers at the top. Note for next time is I should have measured to confirm. For the biff bars I just quickly eyeballed it where it was drilled into the artwork. Not bad to get 99% but it would be nice to have a perfect one. Fortunately the PETG cuts easy with scissors or wire cutters. It now lies flat!

I'll try printing an overlay, but I kinda like the patina of the worn playfield. Goes with the theme of this highly polished turd!

IMG_20190222_143747 (resized).jpgIMG_20190222_143747 (resized).jpg

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Thank for the kind words, all!
Took 10 minutes and cut out the missing pieces: forgot one bulb and two posts. Had to cut some more material by the apron, biff bars, inlanes and the 4 rollovers at the top. Note for next time is I should have measured to confirm. For the biff bars I just quickly eyeballed it where it was drilled into the artwork. Not bad to get 99% but it would be nice to have a perfect one. Fortunately the PETG cuts easy with scissors or wire cutters. It now lies flat!
I'll try printing an overlay, but I kinda like the patina of the worn playfield. Goes with the theme of this highly polished turd!
[quoted image]

I don't know. I think you should print an overlay. I really think patina's are overrated...
When I hear "patina" I think of Gas Monkey garage. And sure the guy makes money on TV... But, when it comes to restoring cars... Yuck... I like my stuff to be shiny and as close to mint as you can get.
But, your machine your rules.

2 weeks later
#48 5 years ago

Back at it!
Got authorized on the large format printer at the hackerspace and printed out the playfield scan on regular paper.
Spent 30 minutes cutting it out with an xacto.
Test fit it and it's perfect!!!!
The protector naturally fits perfect also.
Plan is to do a crappy job airbrushing the white, then put the playfield/protector on and start rebuilding.

IMG_20190311_201912 (resized).jpgIMG_20190311_201912 (resized).jpgIMG_20190311_203715 (resized).jpgIMG_20190311_203715 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190311_215710 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190311_215710 (resized).jpg
#49 5 years ago

Also found this star post I 3D printed.
I like the style of the trashed original, but that's not ideal for 3D printing.

IMG_20190311_210600 (resized).jpgIMG_20190311_210600 (resized).jpg
#50 5 years ago

30 more star posts coming up in translucent blue!
Just the first layer took nearly 20 minutes.
I'll check in the morning and see where it's at!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirtiest-xenon-on-planet-earth?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.