Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 71 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190610_212831 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190610_185030 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190610_180056 (resized).jpg
DSCN4804 (resized).JPG
Untitled_Panorama1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190313_004623 (resized).jpg
DSCN4698 (resized).JPG
DSCN4691 (resized).JPG
MVIMG_20190312_155359 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

30 more star posts coming up in translucent blue!
Just the first layer took nearly 20 minutes.
I'll check in the morning and see where it's at!
[quoted image]

Is this your home printer? I wish I was as skilled as you are with these printers and different machines! That’s very neat. And you have a local space to play with them, even cooler!

#52 3 months ago

I would almost drive down to see this in person when you are done. Nice work.

#53 3 months ago

Awesome thread!

#54 3 months ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I would almost drive down to see this in person when you are done. Nice work.

Russ, you sold me a DM a few years back! I was the dude that came with the puppy. Feel free to hit me up if you're in Chicago!

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is this your home printer? I wish I was as skilled as you are with these printers and different machines! That’s very neat. And you have a local space to play with them, even cooler!

The large format printer is at the hackerspace. 3D printers are very approachable!

#55 3 months ago

WELP, swung by after work and it seems it shat out pretty hard. The printer said it was a 16 hour job.
As I was cleaning up, they were breaking apart in my hands which leads me to believe the filament is old and/or there were some temperature issues with the extruder or bed. Also, the translucent blue didn't turn out translucent, but I still like the color! Will try again...

MVIMG_20190312_155359 (resized).jpg
#56 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

Russ, you sold me a DM a few years back! I was the dude that came with the puppy. Feel free to hit me up if you're in Chicago!

The large format printer is at the hackerspace. 3D printers are very approachable!

I remember. You, the dog and a widebody in a Honda Fit. I bought a Data East JP today that looks like something you would buy. Pretty rough.

#57 3 months ago

I love a high end restoration, but part of me likes these more. I've brought some real dogs back from the dead and it's always been very rewarding. I just started playing with 3d printing and I can't wait to see all of the innovation it will bring to restoring old games. Looks great so far, following....

#58 3 months ago

Wow just noticed this thread. Very cool man!

#59 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

WELP, swung by after work and it seems it shat out pretty hard. The printer said it was a 16 hour job.
As I was cleaning up, they were breaking apart in my hands which leads me to believe the filament is old and/or there were some temperature issues with the extruder or bed. Also, the translucent blue didn't turn out translucent, but I still like the color! Will try again...
[quoted image]

My friend has a 3D printing hobby shop type of thing online and I’ve seen too many of these kinds of FAILS to want learn 3D printing.

If I came home after waiting 16 hours to see my printer shat itself all over like that, I’d throw it out a window!

#60 3 months ago

Pulled some more stuff off and cleaned just a big pile of dirt off...

DSCN4691 (resized).JPG
#61 3 months ago

Spent at least 3 hours tonight taping off the white with frisket and mask, and airbrushing it.
Using some createx paints I shook for at least a minute, it was less than great performance.
I tried two airbrushes and feel like they got clogged more I used them.
I got it done, and threw the printout and protector on, looks frickin great!
It obviously took a lot of work to get here, but feel it was a worthwhile effort for very little cost.

Some problems I foresee with the protector:
The rollovers are a tiny bit too low now. It was also a pain to trim around them. I used a drill to cut into it. Will likely 3D print a tiny thin wafer to make them taller.
On the lower end, there's material missing under the ball guides to allow them to slip on. Over time the bare paper will get dirty. May cut some extra material to fill it in, may not.

After tonight a little burned out by the time I've invested into this turd.
However, it feels great to be at a big milestone.

What's left:
Evaporust/tumble all the hardware
Reassemble the top
Go through all the boards
Rebuild the bottom of the cabinet
Reassemble!

So in reality, I have at least a good 6+ hours left in this.
I was hoping this would be a quick project, but that never seems to be possible!

DSCN4698 (resized).JPG
#62 3 months ago

I just had to know what the inserts look like lit up.
Hooked up some bulbs and was pleasantly surprised how good they look!
The blue one is a LED and the red is incandescent, the red actually looks better!
Will save myself the time and money of LED's and stick with the incadescents in there.
A few others weren't so great, but overall, I'm NOT going to cut out all the inserts, and am glad I printed the playfield out on thin paper and not something thicker!

IMG_20190313_004623 (resized).jpg
#63 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

[quoted image]

Before doing big prints like this, I usually do a small test run.

#64 3 months ago

Its looking really good.

#65 3 months ago

Dumb question. Are you making a paper overlay then just putting a protector over the top of it?

#66 3 months ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Dumb question. Are you making a paper overlay then just putting a protector over the top of it?

i was having a debate with a friend about doing a similar technique for a "Poor man's Hardtop" but not using a pre-made protector.

#67 3 months ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Yes!
Certainly the poor mans hard top. I considered adhering it to the bottom of the protector but figured "why bother?".
It's never going to get lifted up for a very long time.

#68 3 months ago

Just use automotive vinyl w Mylar top coat straight from printer - all laser cut to shape as it prints ... then peel n stick it can be stretched in all directions and lifted / repositioned and won’t wear too

#69 3 months ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Just use automotive vinyl w Mylar top coat straight from printer - all laser cut to shape as it prints ... then peel n stick it can be stretched in all directions and lifted / repositioned and won’t wear too

Sounds expensive! This was inkjet and was free and it's done.

#70 3 months ago

Looking good man! Definitely time consuming as most game resto a are, but at least you’re keeping the costs down.

#71 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

Sounds expensive! This was inkjet and was free and it's done.

Well, you should have the print file. And really I doubt it is too expensive. I'd say wait and see how this holds up and plays. You can always in the future go forward and try the vinyl.

All in all I really like your solution its clever. And you don't have to worry about wear and tear. Just the mechs not working. Really great way to play pinball.
I'm a bit jealous as I wish I had a nice beater machine like this.

2 months later
#72 29 days ago

Still alive over here, been very busy with work and life and house projects!
That being said, I'm looking to get this project done and out of my garage!

Did a quick photomerge tonight of the backglass to verify the validity of my scans - not bad!
My computer only has 6GB of RAM and the files are VERY large so it's crapping out, had to make lower res copies.
The corners are a little messed up because I had to scan on the other guy's nice backglass with the mirrors on.
I need to pop off the corner mirrors on mine and get the remaining scans and am confident it will fill in well!

As for actual "photoshopping", I'm not sure really what to do other than ensure any missing artwork is filled in.
Who's got a guide for going over this to prepare it for print? Or just that wants to do it for me?

Untitled_Panorama1 (resized).jpg
#73 29 days ago

Looks good! I am very interested in this resto

2 weeks later
#74 11 days ago

Looking to free up garage space so back at this!
Pulled out the wood crossbeams in the bottom of the cabinet
Cut some replacement beams
Sanded the inside of the cabinet
Repainted the inner sides
Pulled the old ground braid/staples
Tossed a bunch of hardware in Evaporust
DSCN4804 (resized).JPG

#75 10 days ago

Nice. Glad to see you getting back with some progress on this. I can check with my buddy if you still need a print on the backglass. He uses 2 external drives to avoid the RAM issues.

#76 9 days ago

Evaporust bath treatment for the hardware. I'm not going to use the tumbler because frankly it doesnt polish well in the past times I've used it. Also requires way too much effort getting the Walnut media out of the screw heads.
Also first use of dollar store strainer!

MVIMG_20190610_180056 (resized).jpg
#77 9 days ago

Glued the new crossbeams

MVIMG_20190610_185030 (resized).jpg
#78 9 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Evaporust bath treatment for the hardware. I'm not going to use the tumbler because frankly it doesnt polish well in the past times I've used it. Also requires way too much effort getting the Walnut media out of the screw heads.

Agreed on that. Not big on tumblers anymore myself. I usually use all new hardware when I redo a game anyway.

I was either going to buy a mounted wheel polisher or resort to using Evaporust more as well. Report back how the hardware turns out.

#79 9 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Agreed on that. Not big on tumblers anymore myself. I usually use all new hardware when I redo a game anyway.
I was either going to buy a mounted wheel polisher or resort to using Evaporust more as well. Report back how the hardware turns out.

Some oxidized very harshly, but most turned out great. Excuse the Disco lights of the bathroom
MVIMG_20190610_212831 (resized).jpg

#80 9 days ago

Last minute decided to triple thick the new bottom for easy cleanups in the future. Unreal compared to the old shit covered one! I got the speaker spacing off a bit but who cares.

IMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpg
#81 9 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Has anyone tried using evaporust in an ultrasonic cleaner? I would think that it would really work great.

#82 9 days ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Has anyone tried using evaporust in an ultrasonic cleaner? I would think that it would really work great.

Depends how well it seals. I've read Evaporust evaporates rather quickly if it's not in a sealed container.

#83 9 days ago

Evaporust rules. Didn't make contact with the whole plate in my jerry-rigged solution so I flipped it over for another 24 hours.

IMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpg
#84 6 days ago

As cleaned up as it's gonna be.
Pulled the cabinet parts box and pulled the pieces I'll dip in my evaporust PVC tube.

IMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpgIMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hayden, ID
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside