IMG_20190909_231038 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190909_195515 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

30 more star posts coming up in translucent blue!
Just the first layer took nearly 20 minutes.
I'll check in the morning and see where it's at!
[quoted image]

Is this your home printer? I wish I was as skilled as you are with these printers and different machines! That’s very neat. And you have a local space to play with them, even cooler!

#52 5 years ago

I would almost drive down to see this in person when you are done. Nice work.

#53 5 years ago

Awesome thread!

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I would almost drive down to see this in person when you are done. Nice work.

Russ, you sold me a DM a few years back! I was the dude that came with the puppy. Feel free to hit me up if you're in Chicago!

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is this your home printer? I wish I was as skilled as you are with these printers and different machines! That’s very neat. And you have a local space to play with them, even cooler!

The large format printer is at the hackerspace. 3D printers are very approachable!

#55 5 years ago

WELP, swung by after work and it seems it shat out pretty hard. The printer said it was a 16 hour job.
As I was cleaning up, they were breaking apart in my hands which leads me to believe the filament is old and/or there were some temperature issues with the extruder or bed. Also, the translucent blue didn't turn out translucent, but I still like the color! Will try again...

MVIMG_20190312_155359 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190312_155359 (resized).jpg
#56 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Russ, you sold me a DM a few years back! I was the dude that came with the puppy. Feel free to hit me up if you're in Chicago!

The large format printer is at the hackerspace. 3D printers are very approachable!

I remember. You, the dog and a widebody in a Honda Fit. I bought a Data East JP today that looks like something you would buy. Pretty rough.

#57 5 years ago

I love a high end restoration, but part of me likes these more. I've brought some real dogs back from the dead and it's always been very rewarding. I just started playing with 3d printing and I can't wait to see all of the innovation it will bring to restoring old games. Looks great so far, following....

#58 5 years ago

Wow just noticed this thread. Very cool man!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

WELP, swung by after work and it seems it shat out pretty hard. The printer said it was a 16 hour job.
As I was cleaning up, they were breaking apart in my hands which leads me to believe the filament is old and/or there were some temperature issues with the extruder or bed. Also, the translucent blue didn't turn out translucent, but I still like the color! Will try again...
[quoted image]

My friend has a 3D printing hobby shop type of thing online and I’ve seen too many of these kinds of FAILS to want learn 3D printing.

If I came home after waiting 16 hours to see my printer shat itself all over like that, I’d throw it out a window!

#60 5 years ago

Pulled some more stuff off and cleaned just a big pile of dirt off...

DSCN4691 (resized).JPGDSCN4691 (resized).JPG
#61 5 years ago

Spent at least 3 hours tonight taping off the white with frisket and mask, and airbrushing it.
Using some createx paints I shook for at least a minute, it was less than great performance.
I tried two airbrushes and feel like they got clogged more I used them.
I got it done, and threw the printout and protector on, looks frickin great!
It obviously took a lot of work to get here, but feel it was a worthwhile effort for very little cost.

Some problems I foresee with the protector:
The rollovers are a tiny bit too low now. It was also a pain to trim around them. I used a drill to cut into it. Will likely 3D print a tiny thin wafer to make them taller.
On the lower end, there's material missing under the ball guides to allow them to slip on. Over time the bare paper will get dirty. May cut some extra material to fill it in, may not.

After tonight a little burned out by the time I've invested into this turd.
However, it feels great to be at a big milestone.

What's left:
Evaporust/tumble all the hardware
Reassemble the top
Go through all the boards
Rebuild the bottom of the cabinet
Reassemble!

So in reality, I have at least a good 6+ hours left in this.
I was hoping this would be a quick project, but that never seems to be possible!

DSCN4698 (resized).JPGDSCN4698 (resized).JPG
#62 5 years ago

I just had to know what the inserts look like lit up.
Hooked up some bulbs and was pleasantly surprised how good they look!
The blue one is a LED and the red is incandescent, the red actually looks better!
Will save myself the time and money of LED's and stick with the incadescents in there.
A few others weren't so great, but overall, I'm NOT going to cut out all the inserts, and am glad I printed the playfield out on thin paper and not something thicker!

IMG_20190313_004623 (resized).jpgIMG_20190313_004623 (resized).jpg
#63 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

[quoted image]

Before doing big prints like this, I usually do a small test run.

#64 5 years ago

Its looking really good.

#65 5 years ago

Dumb question. Are you making a paper overlay then just putting a protector over the top of it?

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Dumb question. Are you making a paper overlay then just putting a protector over the top of it?

i was having a debate with a friend about doing a similar technique for a "Poor man's Hardtop" but not using a pre-made protector.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Yes!
Certainly the poor mans hard top. I considered adhering it to the bottom of the protector but figured "why bother?".
It's never going to get lifted up for a very long time.

#68 5 years ago

Just use automotive vinyl w Mylar top coat straight from printer - all laser cut to shape as it prints ... then peel n stick it can be stretched in all directions and lifted / repositioned and won’t wear too

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Just use automotive vinyl w Mylar top coat straight from printer - all laser cut to shape as it prints ... then peel n stick it can be stretched in all directions and lifted / repositioned and won’t wear too

Sounds expensive! This was inkjet and was free and it's done.

#70 5 years ago

Looking good man! Definitely time consuming as most game resto a are, but at least you’re keeping the costs down.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Sounds expensive! This was inkjet and was free and it's done.

Well, you should have the print file. And really I doubt it is too expensive. I'd say wait and see how this holds up and plays. You can always in the future go forward and try the vinyl.

All in all I really like your solution its clever. And you don't have to worry about wear and tear. Just the mechs not working. Really great way to play pinball.
I'm a bit jealous as I wish I had a nice beater machine like this.

2 months later
#72 4 years ago

Still alive over here, been very busy with work and life and house projects!
That being said, I'm looking to get this project done and out of my garage!

Did a quick photomerge tonight of the backglass to verify the validity of my scans - not bad!
My computer only has 6GB of RAM and the files are VERY large so it's crapping out, had to make lower res copies.
The corners are a little messed up because I had to scan on the other guy's nice backglass with the mirrors on.
I need to pop off the corner mirrors on mine and get the remaining scans and am confident it will fill in well!

As for actual "photoshopping", I'm not sure really what to do other than ensure any missing artwork is filled in.
Who's got a guide for going over this to prepare it for print? Or just that wants to do it for me?

Untitled_Panorama1 (resized).jpgUntitled_Panorama1 (resized).jpg
#73 4 years ago

Looks good! I am very interested in this resto

2 weeks later
#74 4 years ago

Looking to free up garage space so back at this!
Pulled out the wood crossbeams in the bottom of the cabinet
Cut some replacement beams
Sanded the inside of the cabinet
Repainted the inner sides
Pulled the old ground braid/staples
Tossed a bunch of hardware in Evaporust
DSCN4804 (resized).JPGDSCN4804 (resized).JPG

#75 4 years ago

Nice. Glad to see you getting back with some progress on this. I can check with my buddy if you still need a print on the backglass. He uses 2 external drives to avoid the RAM issues.

#76 4 years ago

Evaporust bath treatment for the hardware. I'm not going to use the tumbler because frankly it doesnt polish well in the past times I've used it. Also requires way too much effort getting the Walnut media out of the screw heads.
Also first use of dollar store strainer!

MVIMG_20190610_180056 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190610_180056 (resized).jpg
#77 4 years ago

Glued the new crossbeams

MVIMG_20190610_185030 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190610_185030 (resized).jpg
#78 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Evaporust bath treatment for the hardware. I'm not going to use the tumbler because frankly it doesnt polish well in the past times I've used it. Also requires way too much effort getting the Walnut media out of the screw heads.

Agreed on that. Not big on tumblers anymore myself. I usually use all new hardware when I redo a game anyway.

I was either going to buy a mounted wheel polisher or resort to using Evaporust more as well. Report back how the hardware turns out.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Agreed on that. Not big on tumblers anymore myself. I usually use all new hardware when I redo a game anyway.
I was either going to buy a mounted wheel polisher or resort to using Evaporust more as well. Report back how the hardware turns out.

Some oxidized very harshly, but most turned out great. Excuse the Disco lights of the bathroom
MVIMG_20190610_212831 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190610_212831 (resized).jpg

#80 4 years ago

Last minute decided to triple thick the new bottom for easy cleanups in the future. Unreal compared to the old shit covered one! I got the speaker spacing off a bit but who cares.

IMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_214202 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_215459 (resized).jpg
#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Has anyone tried using evaporust in an ultrasonic cleaner? I would think that it would really work great.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Has anyone tried using evaporust in an ultrasonic cleaner? I would think that it would really work great.

Depends how well it seals. I've read Evaporust evaporates rather quickly if it's not in a sealed container.

#83 4 years ago

Evaporust rules. Didn't make contact with the whole plate in my jerry-rigged solution so I flipped it over for another 24 hours.

IMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_192520 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_134758 (resized).jpg
#84 4 years ago

As cleaned up as it's gonna be.
Pulled the cabinet parts box and pulled the pieces I'll dip in my evaporust PVC tube.

IMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpgIMG_20190613_182152 (resized).jpgIMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpgIMG_20190613_191434 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#85 4 years ago

Any progress?

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Any progress?

^^^^^^

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have. It doesn’t do a good job. Hot water, simple green and powder ultrasonic cleaner together works the best for me. Evaporust works very slowly so I soak all hardware and parts for at least 12 hours and then right into the ultrasonic cleaner. Most screws and parts will look like new again. Can save a lot of $$.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have. It doesn’t do a good job. Hot water, simple green and powder ultrasonic cleaner together works the best for me. Evaporust works very slowly so I soak all hardware and parts for at least 12 hours and then right into the ultrasonic cleaner. Most screws and parts will look like new again. Can save a lot of $$.

I've stopped using Simple Green since I found out from HEP that it was corrosive. Switched over to Mean Green which is safer. Probably not an issue if rinsed well, but easier to switch and be done with it.

1 month later
#89 4 years ago

Any updates here?

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Any updates here?

Been on the back burner as I've been working on summer projects in the garage. All that's left to do is reassemble the top end, go through the boards and throw it back in the cabinet.

Shooting to get back to this in a month or three.

While this has been fun, I'm also kind of over it and since this title isn't a keeper for me, considering just selling it as-is. Takers?

3 weeks later
#91 4 years ago

Some progress!
I've got a lot of projects going on right now. Trying to knock them out, this one has a pretty direct path to completion.
Got some of the playfield and rubbers populated.
I failed to account for some screw holes in the protector.
I found them by lifting it up and seeing where the screw is, poking through the paper with a screwdriver and then drilling a small hole in the protector.
A flashlight also worked for parts that weren't easy to see!

For next time I would extend the protector into the white area of the playfield and just have generous sized holes for the screws/bulbs.
The protector was kinking up in random spots, but with some material of the protector overlapping into the star post and the apron ball guide, I was able to secure it down.

Doing the flippers and pop bumpers will be a project of their own.
Considering just investing in new pop bumper rings since these are TRASHED
IMG_20190909_195515 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_195515 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_231038 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_231038 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_231050 (resized).jpgIMG_20190909_231050 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#92 4 years ago

Little bit of progress.
Rebuilt all the pop bumpers.
I splurged on new pop rings and really glad I did!
The old ones were beat to shit!
While I got new plungers, they were a different size so I just cleaned up the old ones that were in surprisingly good shape.
Forgot to order some screws and rubbers (always) on my last PBL order so will fit them in on the next eventual one.

Have a lot of projects on my plate right now with more coming so can't wait to get this done!

IMG_20190924_194243 (resized).jpgIMG_20190924_194243 (resized).jpgIMG_20190926_210938 (resized).jpgIMG_20190926_210938 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#93 4 years ago

Still alive over here.
Been real busy with job and life and other projects.
Getting ready for winter projects and trying to tie this up to free up some space!

Playfield just needs flippers rebuilt and the tube mounted
I re-ran the wiring for the cabinet. It still needs some hardware mounted.
Looked over the boards tonight.
Not bad but will need some work: Reflowing connectors, bulletproofing, fixing previous hacks

IMG_20191102_204452 (resized).jpgIMG_20191102_204452 (resized).jpg
#94 4 years ago

Was waiting on some new parts for my Hakko desoldering pump, works like a champ now!
Rebuilt the HV section with all new parts, some of the resistors were crumbling as I took them out!
New caps, reflowed connectors, bulletproofed
Also reflowed connectors on the lamp board

MVIMG_20191108_224355 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20191108_224355 (resized).jpg
#95 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Was waiting on some new parts for my Hakko desoldering pump, works like a champ now!
Rebuilt the HV section with all new parts, some of the resistors were crumbling as I took them out!
New caps, reflowed connectors, bulletproofed
Also reflowed connectors on the lamp board[quoted image]

Neat little stand you got there

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Neat little stand you got there

It's a pana-vise! This one is great for big boards, can even fit a WPC driver board in it. I have a mini one for smaller parts/boards

#97 4 years ago

Incredible... love seeing the restoration progress.

#98 4 years ago

Progress continues!
Soldered in the pop bumper lamps
Touched up a few wires the previous owner cut - coils, a lamp and a switch for some reason
Replaced some flipper parts
Reassembled the rest of the cabinet hardware
Transferred the playfield to the cabinet

Wired everything up and powered it up!
First boot it appears to boot somewhat to attract mode - some playfield bulbs are lighting up, the displays are all "00"
Can't start a game, restart it, now nothing really happens
MPU appears to be locked up despite 5.2V at the test point, hitting reset or test does nothing except randomly scramble some "00" for a second on display 4.
On a lighter note the sounds all appear to work and sound great!

Still a ways to go, but certainly a great milestone!

DSCN5046 (resized).JPGDSCN5046 (resized).JPGDSCN5048 (resized).JPGDSCN5048 (resized).JPGDSCN5049 (resized).JPGDSCN5049 (resized).JPG
7 months later
2 months later
#100 3 years ago

Any updates????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirtiest-xenon-on-planet-earth/page/2?hl=calipindave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.