TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 3 (resized).jpg
TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 2 (resized).jpg
20170106_120637 (resized).jpg
20170106_120701 (resized).jpg
20170106_121048 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.15 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.03 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.23.47 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Does your TZ lock shot have you down?

Frequent bounce outs?

Have you tried many solutions found online that never seem to work 100%?

Frustrated to attempt the lock shot, right when it matters most- and it bounces out, even if it was a perfect shot?

Look no further. The solution is here!

The lock shot had me down and in the dumps after many repeated failures and bounce outs. The fast lock mode was almost pointless as it would only make the lock shot 25-30% of the time. That is unacceptable, and had to be fixed. A lot of searching on the forums left me with solutions that either didn't work, or required disassembling the machine to the point I didn't want to screw anything up.

With the below solution, I can tell you it works 100% of the time. Yes, 100 out of 100 lock shots will work, and never bounce out. I have tested this, and it works.. no disassembling anything, and about 3-5 minutes of your precious time.

You will need the following:

1) Scissors
2) Flexible Magnetic Tape - found on Amazon here http://amzn.to/2iQAsn0
3) Ceramic Bar Magnet - found on Amazon here http://amzn.to/2iQH84s
4) Double sided mounting tape - found on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2hFmKHq

The steps needed to fix the lock shot:

1) Cut the flexible mounting tape to size, and line the insides of the lock shot (shown in below pics.) For the back part that curves, it was hard to get to with my hands, so I used a telescoping magnetic extender tool to reach back there and stick it on.. this is the one I used: http://amzn.to/2itHYrq

2) I then placed some mounting tape on the back of the bar magnet, and attached it to the metal roof under the right ramp/top of lock shot as shown in the pics

The way this fix works is the ball will travel inside the lock shot, and the magnetic tape will slow the momentum of the ball enough for the magnetic tape to assist the ball to curve around the lock shot's back wall. The magnetic force from the strong bar magnet sitting above will help pull the ball around and allow it to consistently drop inside the lock shot hole.

If installed correctly, this completely fixes the shot and you will never have a bounce out again.. period.

Pics below:

2016-12-31 14.23.47 (resized).jpg2016-12-31 14.23.47 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.03 (resized).jpg2016-12-31 14.24.03 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.15 (resized).jpg2016-12-31 14.24.15 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Pretty neat ... guess it won't help if the powerball happens to be in play.
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

It actually does I've found! I think the magnetic tape creates some type of cushion when it hits the back of the lock shot, so it doesn't smack bare metal and bounce out. I haven't hit the lock shot with a powerball much, but I don't recall it bouncing out either.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

The method I came up with years ago was to break the weld (may have been 2) that secured the "floor" of the U-turn weldment to the "walls". I could then reform the floor lower to just almost touching the playfield. Factory has it maybe 1/4" above the playfield surface? Bending mine down eliminated bounce outs. I don't remember the last reject I got...
[Edit] I should probably state that the floor is not completely loose after breaking the forward weld. It still has 2 or 3 welds in place.

I read that fix as well, but this method is much easier

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Nice job with this fix, I'll give it a shot as Ive got bounce out issues. Are you lining both sides with magnetic tape or just the left side of the channel? Hard to tell in the pics.
I wonder if that magnetic tape would also help with bounce outs from the rocket switch?

I line both sides with the magnetic tape

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Played 5 more games, no bounce outs, but that magnet above caught the ball once. I think it's too strong. I removed the magnet so all I have is the magnetic tape on the left inside rail and still no bounce outs, so that may be all that's needed.

Awesome !! Glad this is working for you.

My magnet caught it once, but if you secure the magnet with 3M double sided tape it spaces the magnet out enough to not be strong enough to catch it. But either way it sounds like the magnetic tape was the solution for you! I think some games might be better than others with bounce outs, so your results may vary- but at least this is a guaranteed fix !

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No; unfortunately. They're not even listed in the manual, which is the biggest inconsistancy with my game (and the other non-sample TZ I had) having them. But, right now I have locknuts on my posts - at the next re-waxing, I'm taking them off and going to use a regular nut. The locknut is too high, and causes balls to not pop out the entrance, but *fly* through the lock and auto-eject into the spiral. Oops.

This is why I went with my method, it works 100% of the time and takes literally 1 minute to do.. and you don't even need to lift the playfield

1 month later
#35 7 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Wow! I cannot thank you guys enough for this thread. It took me five minutes and a couple bucks to get the lock shot dialed in. I simply put the magnetic tape on the left side of the metal guide.
Seems to be locked in. Didn't bounce out once after application.
Thanks again!!

Awesome !!!

Glad it worked for you. Mine has also been 100% working, haven't had a single bounce out since doing this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-definitive-twilight-zone-lock-shot-fix-thread?tu=kpg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.