TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 3 (resized).jpg
TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 2 (resized).jpg
20170106_120637 (resized).jpg
20170106_120701 (resized).jpg
20170106_121048 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.15 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.24.03 (resized).jpg
2016-12-31 14.23.47 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

The method I came up with years ago was to break the weld (may have been 2) that secured the "floor" of the U-turn weldment to the "walls". I could then reform the floor lower to just almost touching the playfield. Factory has it maybe 1/4" above the playfield surface? Bending mine down eliminated bounce outs. I don't remember the last reject I got...

[Edit] I should probably state that the floor is not completely loose after breaking the forward weld. It still has 2 or 3 welds in place.

1 week later
#20 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I read that fix as well, but this method is much easier

Well, I'm shopping my zone right now so I shot some pics...

You do have to remove the Lock entrance welded assembly.

The red line shows the original position of the "floor" of the lock shot. The yellow circle is the weld to pop with a drimmel cut-off wheel.

TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 2 (resized).jpgTZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 2 (resized).jpg

As designed this floor is 'uphill' until it gets past the middle of the U-turn, so when the ball enters and rattles it loses momentum and just rolls downhill, which is back out the entrance.

With the topmost weld popped, you can easily cinch a crescent wrench on the floor plate and bend it downward along the dotted yellow line until it's at the level shown, which is about 1/8" off the playfield.

TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 3 (resized).jpgTZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 3 (resized).jpg

This makes everything past that dotted yellow line downhill toward the locks instead of downhill toward the entrance.

TZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 4 (resized).jpgTZ Lock Entrance Reject Fix 4 (resized).jpg

So then, the ball can rattle around that entrance all it wants, it cannot defy gravity and roll uphill. Permanent and 100% effective.

IF your method (or others) doesn't satisfy, this will. Yeah, it's not a 1 on the difficulty meter, but it's a 10 on results.

I had terrible luck trying to fix the cup bounce-backs (on the right ramp wireform) with magnets, so I came up with a physical correction for that flaw as well.

If all else fails, this can be the "Parachute Fix".

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No; unfortunately. They're not even listed in the manual, which is the biggest inconsistancy with my game (and the other non-sample TZ I had) having them. But, right now I have locknuts on my posts - at the next re-waxing, I'm taking them off and going to use a regular nut. The locknut is too high, and causes balls to not pop out the entrance, but *fly* through the lock and auto-eject into the spiral. Oops.

Did you try the low-profile lock nuts?

#28 7 years ago

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Nylon-Hex-Jam-Nut-304-Stainless-Steel-p/130000.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Like this one. They are like 1/2 the height of the normal lock nuts.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Has anybody figured out a way to make the shot harder? Easy is a four letter word in my game room.

Leave it uncorrected.

It's not a matter of easy or hard, it's a matter of hitting the shot perfectly only to see it dribble back out and drain SDTM. It is a design flaw in the welded assembly that causes rejects on direct shots when there shouldn't be.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Meh, you guys are no fun. Bounce-outs are part of the TZ experience!
I actually just made a few strategic bends to the entrance to the lock area's roof and now bounce-outs are down to a bare minimum. I don't want to fix it completely, can't make things too easy now!

And I would be OK with up to maybe 1/3 - 1/2 bounce outs...IF THEY DIDN'T DRAIN STDM ALMOST EVERY TIME from a reject! WITH EXTRA BALL LIT AND YOU'RE ON BALL 3 AND THE FREAKIN DOORKNOB IS LIT!

Oh, ahem...pardon me. I hope you understand and can forgive my flipout.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 132.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cody_chunn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-definitive-twilight-zone-lock-shot-fix-thread?tu=cody_chunn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.