Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will most "barcade" pinball locations survive until the COVID-19 pandemic is over?”

• YES, they will still be here in some form 90 votes
      31%
    • NO, many will be forced to close 203 votes
      69%

(293 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46BE20FA-FBC1-4A73-876F-17B79019754A (resized).jpeg
    AE0B1A38-18F4-40D0-A0AD-DA4AE4A9D163 (resized).jpeg
    grim (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    nails (resized).jpg
    E78428AF-E184-4F7F-BE5C-CA8AA4D6B0E2 (resized).jpeg
    E4313C6D-8421-4B58-B12A-ACBA37A5C163 (resized).jpeg
    4EBE3743-994E-4218-B8F5-EBFB4A246968 (resized).jpeg
    FullSizeRender-3 (resized).jpg
    AC54BA28-B1C1-4824-B374-EBD1F4E7EF0F (resized).jpeg
    0AC636C3-9DAE-4D38-9D5C-F71D455B8B75 (resized).jpeg
    1931F659-0679-4E2F-916E-8AA808439874 (resized).jpeg
    7ADFBBB4-A588-4E49-952B-805FE089649D (resized).jpeg
    70b1748a6c1dcf66d22ac5575724cfe8f303ba98 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    C95AC54A-C960-4443-93CD-987B3EC428C3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

It will all magically disappear as soon as the election is over....

Lol, you got that right!

Of course arcade bars will be back, stronger than ever.

2021 is going to be a great rebound year.

The folks that can hunker down and survive to make it to the other side will reap the benefits of pent up demand.

There will be many more that spring up to replace the ones that sadly don't make it.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Agree. Life is full of risks and choices. I chose to NOT LIVE IN FEAR.

Me either. I like my life that way. I'm a happy camper! That is able to use common sense to make my own smart choices.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

She's transferring to a Texas office... It's getting bad in Cali. Shame, loved surfing and Electric skateboarding there.

She’ll love it here in Texas

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I have a buddy with a barcade in town that is doing great through the pandemic. In fact, it is in the basement of a restaurant that shut down so now he is buying the entire building and making it a two story barcade with new games upstairs and retro in the basement. He is getting a ton of games for cheap because of things shutting down everywhere. So in areas without stupid government restrictions (I live in South Dakota), it seems they can survive.
    And Covid-19 is real but is FAR less severe than we were told (and are still being told if you listen to CNN, MSNBC and WaPo) and our overreaction to it that has killed the economy is one of the dumbest things we've done as a country in a long time. But I'm just a physician with a degree in physics that discusses this regularly with my physician father who has a degree in epidemiology and my PhD engineer sister who does research on porous materials and microorganisms, so what would I know?

Stop it Tram! Quit using logic

Not “one of the dumbest things in a long time”. It’s the dumbest thing EVER

Besides all that Noem is HOT!

#203 3 years ago

This really is more than just about Covid deaths isn't it? I thought we were talking about the death of the pinball economy as a result of shutting down the overall economy and the effects of doing so?

The results. Shit goes out of business. Everything. Daily.

Bottom line, it is what it is. Certain places are worse than others.

Once a vaccine is produced things will go back to normal and then there will be NEW pinball establishments that rise from the ashes.

Stern, Spooky, AP and now DR are making and delivering games again. CGC and JJP are next. Doom and gloom will be replaced with excitement again.

That's what we do. No point in arguing about it.

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I really really really hope so!
    By the sounds of it, it sounds like the manufacturers are now all doing OK and have no shortage of orders. It will just take the logistics of the "public sphere" to change for public pinball to be a thing again.
    (although I had no idea Deeproot was delivery games! I'll have to go check the DR thread about that)
    Spend local when you can, whatever money we can get to small businesses will help minimize the bloodbath...

I’m giving DR credit only because they say September AND I actually counted about 25 cars in the parking lot yesterday

Maybe they are noodling and doodling with Jpop? Lol

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

My concern is what this does to the overall mentality of the populous living through it, and especially those with the resources to invest and open new businesses that could replace the ones we are losing. I don't know about you guys, but I had a couple of grandparents that lived through the Great Depression, and they lived their entire lives affected by those few years of austerity and skimping. My grandfather buryed money in the yard up until he died at age 95. Never trusted banks completely. Never learned to throw anything away.
    Will those of us watching the barcades go down dare get into that pool after this clears up? Nothing has ever illustrated the fragility of simple business economics in my lifetime. Ugh.

I hear what you are saying but at the same time existing home sales just spiked an unprecedented 24% in the month of July

I have people in my line of business looking to buy up assets on the cheap. The problem for them is there is no panic selling. Just the opposite

A better comparison would be 2008 and here we are 12 yrs later. All time market highs and panic buying

Low interest rates and massive liquidity will keep fueling the self induced post shutdown rally

The only thing that could divert the other pathwe are on is higher taxes, lower GDP growth, less production which would lead to more dollars fighting for the that lower productivity and...

Inflation and higher interest rates

There isn’t a federal, state or local government around the world that can help pinball by taking more money out of the private sector, much less any other sort of business creation

I would consider doing a pinball related business like Helicon brewing. But it would be for fun

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I have zero stakes in the Deeproot thing, but damn do I want them to just put up or shut up...
    The Predator saga ended in flames.
    There is hope still that with Big Lebowski they will finally rectify past wrongs.
    JJP strugged and persevered. American Pinball and Spooky are working hard and moving units.
    Heck, even Thunderbirds came and went!
    but here we are so many years later waiting for a new JPop game.

You and me both! Stfu and just deliver a damn game. One to start with

It appears Sept it actually happens. We shall see

#233 3 years ago

Can you read? The mods requested no more Covid BS in this thread

I’m wondering who you really are from the past as a new Member. Lol

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from j-fit:

So I bring evidence to someone making baseless claims, and your point isn't to challenge my evidence but to ad-hominem?
    bold strategy

Pm me. You are obviously new. I can educate you. I will say your “opinion” is baseless, ignorant and uninformed. See how that works?

And when YOU say my opinion should be canceled you just lost the crybaby ad hominem attack argument

Go back to trolling the post office thread

On another note, I’m actually thinking about starting a brewery/pin location like Helicon once the coast is clear.

I have a few other investors/friends just looking for something to do

#241 3 years ago

Who wants to invest in a brewery/pin cade with me?

$$$

Beer and wine license only

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

What started off as an enthusiasm for craft beer has turned into a pretty decent career for me. I absolutely love the industry. If you are planning on investing in a brewery I wish you nothing but the best, and if there is pinball involved then that just makes it all the better!

I'm all ears to how to make the "craft beer" part work. I really love it.

We have some great local craft breweries like Freetail with distribution outside of the location.

I'm thinking something like a micro brewery and a pinball/arcade experience such as Helicon.

Just breaking even would be worth it for us and maybe some longer term growth.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

if we can put it close to the Texas / Ontario border I'm in.

Don't we have a Canadian/Texas pipeline? I think we do. Can run the beer through the pipes when the oil and gas is shut down?

I would think Canada would be a no brainer for you. Beergut is in MN and close by.

I really do think it could be a great business opportunity that is fun.

It's not like buying Apple stock and watching it double since April but its a heck of a lot more fun.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-death-of-barcades?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.