Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will most "barcade" pinball locations survive until the COVID-19 pandemic is over?”

• YES, they will still be here in some form 90 votes
      31%
    • NO, many will be forced to close 203 votes
      69%

(293 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46BE20FA-FBC1-4A73-876F-17B79019754A (resized).jpeg
    AE0B1A38-18F4-40D0-A0AD-DA4AE4A9D163 (resized).jpeg
    grim (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    nails (resized).jpg
    E78428AF-E184-4F7F-BE5C-CA8AA4D6B0E2 (resized).jpeg
    E4313C6D-8421-4B58-B12A-ACBA37A5C163 (resized).jpeg
    4EBE3743-994E-4218-B8F5-EBFB4A246968 (resized).jpeg
    FullSizeRender-3 (resized).jpg
    AC54BA28-B1C1-4824-B374-EBD1F4E7EF0F (resized).jpeg
    0AC636C3-9DAE-4D38-9D5C-F71D455B8B75 (resized).jpeg
    1931F659-0679-4E2F-916E-8AA808439874 (resized).jpeg
    7ADFBBB4-A588-4E49-952B-805FE089649D (resized).jpeg
    70b1748a6c1dcf66d22ac5575724cfe8f303ba98 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    C95AC54A-C960-4443-93CD-987B3EC428C3 (resized).jpeg

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 3 years ago

We've seen many noteworthy pinball locations in the US announce that they will be closing down permanently. With COVID-19 looking to be a very real long-term hindrance in the logistical operation of location pinball, do you think that the majority of pinball bars will be able to sustain a viable amount of income? Will a majority of these locations (which have been a big factor in pinball's resurgence) be forced to close down by the end of 2020? What impact do you think it will have on the pinball hobby/industry overall? Is 2020 the high watermark from which pinball's popularity will begin to once again recede? Do you believe new pinball locations will eventually spring up to take the place of the ones that have closed?

Please keep comments apolitical. COVID-19 is real. Protect yourself.

89926634_10102617072544161_1675210547370393600_o (resized).jpg89926634_10102617072544161_1675210547370393600_o (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Unfortunately many will close, especially since it's been handled so poorly. I hope I'm wrong

#3 3 years ago

anything retail is challenged now.

#4 3 years ago

i think they will survive ok. poeple want to go out and the barcades will get busy again. where i live, in cleveland, tons of people are going out. not sure ohioians are playing it safe.

#5 3 years ago

They will either become Private Clubs like the Prohibition Speakeasies or move into home environments with secrecy. People are going to do what they want to do, even if it means breaking rules.

#7 3 years ago

2 Barcades in Sioux falls are closing. The pinball club in Fargo also closed. Stern better realize home use may be by far their largest client base and stop gnore customers with serious quality control issues.

#8 3 years ago

Charlotte lost another one as well “Lucky’s”

#9 3 years ago

Sadly, it may get worse before it gets better. Especially if we slide into a recession.

The next half year or so is going to be rough.

LTG : )

#10 3 years ago

I feel that some will some won't. Eventually this will end and things will get back to a certain normal. Probably not the same normal we know now. That's because things change regardless of a virus. But if you look back at other epidemics they all went away eventually and so will this one. Unfortunately not everything survives. A lot of restaurants around here that I enjoy are not making it and I'm sad to see them go. In 3-5 years I'm sure others will emerge. The main challenge is some of these businesses have a well built staff. When many are laid off they all need to find their own sources of income. Once they do, "getting the band back together" can be very difficult if not impossible once some of these businesses are allowed to open once again.

#11 3 years ago

All the ones around my way are making it. One huge new one is waiting to open until nashville gets further along to phase 4. Nashville has a idiot mayor. I think we are on the downhill slide of this thing. People are done with the hypocrisy and getting out. traffic is back and schools around here are opening.

#12 3 years ago

I got to visit there back in March when on what turned out to be my last work trip. I thought the place was fantastic. Real shame to see it go.

#13 3 years ago

Selfishly I really hope Logan in Chicago makes it. I just took a job with it’s HQ in Chicago and I’d be lying if that wasn’t a small factor.

#14 3 years ago

I know some will go away, but I have to imagine a lot are surviving like any other restaurants right now and will reopen when this is over. It will still be a popular business on the end of this. Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

All the ones around my way are making it. One huge new one is waiting to open until nashville gets further along to phase 4. Nashville has a idiot mayor. I think we are on the downhill slide of this thing. People are done with the hypocrisy and getting out. traffic is back and schools around here are opening.

I can’t believe they opened schools in tn. The numbers are going up there not down!

#16 3 years ago

I know of quite a few that are closing. Some have been closed since March and still unable to open up. Unfortunately those that were able to open up have lost 75% of their revenue pre covid. Arcades that had 200 people a day are seeing 40-50 a day now. Sad times to be an operator or arcade owner. My brewery location still has the games turned off.

#17 3 years ago
    2F8146AA-4065-46CF-B1E5-5BE29D23F6AD (resized).jpeg2F8146AA-4065-46CF-B1E5-5BE29D23F6AD (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

PogO didn't ask!

#19 3 years ago

Even when they finally tell us “ok everybody’s safe now” who in their right mind would want to start a non-essential bizz?

#20 3 years ago

Silverball saloon in Rochester also threw in the towel today.

“They’ll be fine” is pretty naive when a ton have closed already. I guess the question is if replacements spring up if we ever beat this pandemic in the US.

#21 3 years ago

One thing I've noticed. For my business. Almost 48 years of experience is gone.

I used to know patterns. Real hot, real cold. Rain, snow. Summer. Fall, Winter. Week people get paid. Week people don't get paid. Sun sets later, sun sets earlier.

And prior to the 2005 down turn. Coin op used to be better in bad times. Cheaper entertainment. That wasn't the same in the mid 2000's.

Everything is changed. I don't know what to expect any more. I don't know if anybody does.

Will more places close ? Later, will new ones open ? Will people have money ? After staying home, will they go out again ? Will new customers arise ?

Check back in five years and I'll let you know.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Check back in five years

Hopefully by then Elon will have us all on the moon selecting custom tailored sperm so we all look like Ivan Drago

B381D2DA-0B3E-48E6-85AB-27A6727B3BB1 (resized).pngB381D2DA-0B3E-48E6-85AB-27A6727B3BB1 (resized).png
    #23 3 years ago

If barcades were huge, publicly-traded corporations, the Federal Reserve would ensure their survival.

#24 3 years ago

I honestly was going to try to open one in my area glad I didn’t

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One thing I've noticed. For my business. Almost 48 years of experience is gone.

I feel this. I work grocery, same deal. Trying to make plans besides "be nimble" seems pointless.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I honestly was going to try to open one in my area glad I didn’t

Happy accident for me. I was closing the deal on a location...(Omg Great location, 1/2 mile down Harbor Blvd from Disneyland.) This was 2 years ago...anyway Landlord went with a noodle bowl place instead. I was sad for days, even had built in Liquor license. I would now buy that Landlord a Drink. Pin God's were actually looking out for me.

#27 3 years ago

Sadly, I think pinball will be even more about private collector/player machines and less about barcades after this. Not many places will survive this pandemic/no customers and afterwards peoples behavior will probably change to go out less.

#28 3 years ago

I'm not a Dr. but I am chock full of common sense. AS of 8/2/2020 The world has an estimate 7.8 billion people and just shy of 693,000 people have died from covid WORLD wide. Yes, well aware COVID deaths that weren't the actual cause of death are part of that number but it's all we have to go off of. Any death is tragic but the people in charge of this country have chosen financial oblivion instead of common sense.

Open the country back up WITH EXCEPTIONS for those who fall into the high risk categories. Fully supplemented incomes for those until a vaccine is released. This would be SOOOOOO much cheaper than this bullshit $600 a week for everyone. Truly the ONLY way we're going to save these small businesses. We can't keep firing up the printing press and bailing people out devaluing the dollar which eventually leads to hyper inflation.

And lastly, my brother works for Daimler and he was telling me they laid off a bunch of people. The workers that weren't laid off were bitching because they have to work. Unreal. I'm an essential worker. I'm thankful to have a job and am completely repulsed when a certain faction was trying to pass a bill that would push additional money in my pocket FOR DOING MY JOB. Stop with the f-ing hand outs.

#29 3 years ago

Title removed the word "barcade". Is Barcade (the registered trademark holder) still sending cease & desists every time that portmanteau is used?

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Stop with the f-ing hand outs.

Especially that one bill that included 40 billion for Venezuela. I don't know if it went through or not. I hope not.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Title removed the word "barcade". Is Barcade (the registered trademark holder)still sending cease & desists?

Funny, I got one of those letters 2 years ago.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Funny, I got one of those letters 2 years ago.

I’ve received several. It would be something if they’re still bothering with it at the moment.

#33 3 years ago

Yes several myself.
    Registered a name on godaddy and the letters started, never responded to anyone of them, but also never did anything with it , yet.

#34 3 years ago

This whole Corona BS fuckin sucks. Way to go worthless leaders. Shut the whole economy down, that’ll fix it right.

#35 3 years ago

Ok now you’ve thrown up the bat signal....the posse of banned covid thread truthers will be here in seconds spreading the knowledge...

#36 3 years ago

89926634_10102617072544161_1675210547370393600_o (resized).jpg89926634_10102617072544161_1675210547370393600_o (resized).jpg
    #37 3 years ago

Why did you change it from “the death of barcades” to “the death of” to “the death of arcade bars”? Just curious.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Why did you change it from “the death of barcades” to “the death of” to “the death of arcade bars”? Just curious.

Read post #29, maybe Robin did ? It is still in the URL.

Quoted from thinkpol:

Protect yourself.

Your Shadow got a credit dot ?

#39 3 years ago

Those with high debt loads to fund the place and low operating margins - done for. Those with low debt loads and high operating margins - can survive if they decide its worth their effort.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Read post #29, maybe Robin did ? It is still in the URL.

Ahh that makes sense. They likely still have the lawyer on retainer.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Ahh that makes sense. They likely still have the lawyer on retainer.

Probably not for long. They have some pretty high rent properties. And yes I’ve gotten a cease and desist notification when we used a hashtag they didn’t like. The TM may be all that is left when all is said and done. Won’t be shedding lots of tears on that one

#42 3 years ago

The market leader is Free Play Arcade located in Texas. Many locations, understands the market, great business model, and the CEO is an attorney. Guru of foreseeability.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from unlockpinball:

The market leader is Free Play Arcade located in Texas. Many locations, understands the market, great business model, and the CEO is an attorney. Guru of foreseeability.

The market leader I’ve never heard of. Googling now...

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from thinkpol:

[quoted image]

The good doctor agrees!

CDA5F9AB-B278-4E81-B2EF-B7797E8F232D (resized).jpegCDA5F9AB-B278-4E81-B2EF-B7797E8F232D (resized).jpeg
    #45 3 years ago
    Quoted from unlockpinball:

How many working pinballs?

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

The market leader I’ve never heard of. Googling now...

Looks cool to me. I'd still be pretty skeeved out especially with it being all-ages. Texas fucks, though!

#47 3 years ago

Besides my concern for those on business, my concern is supply of arcades going forward. Seems new stuff costs a pretty penny, I can't imagine many buying new equipment in the near future. Will manufacturers close? How many will want to start a new arcade manufacturing business to fill the void? Old arcades are often either expensive or slowly getting trashed. Plus the lost generation of bar goers. Thos who are 21 right now still had oppoortunies for experience with arcades growing up. Maybe an old Cruisin' USA at a hotel by the ice machine, or a Silent Scope at an arade that was mostly turning to redemption aracdes. In a few more years few young bar goers will have a nostalgic connection to arcades and pinballs. Maybe having computers set to play multiplayer or PS2's with Grand Theft Auto Vice City will be the next big thing. I just don't know how much new blood a barcade would attract with the older arcades and pinballs Pinside members tend to gravitate to...

Hope everyone is doing alright on this Saturday. Hang in there, eventually these times will be "i remember 2020..." and this will be long past us.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I'm not a Dr. but I am chock full of common sense. AS of 8/2/2020 The world has an estimate 7.8 billion people and just shy of 693,000 people have died from covid WORLD wide. Yes, well aware COVID deaths that weren't the actual cause of death are part of that number but it's all we have to go off of. Any death is tragic but the people in charge of this country have chosen financial oblivion instead of common sense.
    Open the country back up WITH EXCEPTIONS for those who fall into the high risk categories. Fully supplemented incomes for those until a vaccine is released. This would be SOOOOOO much cheaper than this bullshit $600 a week for everyone. Truly the ONLY way we're going to save these small businesses. We can't keep firing up the printing press and bailing people out devaluing the dollar which eventually leads to hyper inflation.
    And lastly, my brother works for Daimler and he was telling me they laid off a bunch of people. The workers that weren't laid off were bitching because they have to work. Unreal. I'm an essential worker. I'm thankful to have a job and am completely repulsed when a certain faction was trying to pass a bill that would push additional money in my pocket FOR DOING MY JOB. Stop with the f-ing hand outs.

The big concern is the potential long term health consequences like lung and heart damage

#49 3 years ago

It will come back. People haven't lost interest, they are just afraid. Things die when they have run their course and I don't believe pinball and the arcade bar have run its course yet. If anything I think the hiatus might cause a resurgence once we're over this. It will be time for new beginnings. Some old staples will go away, some will survive and new locations will open. Playing skill games in public will be a thing forever. It just is in hibernation currently. This too shall pass.

#50 3 years ago

It will all magically disappear as soon as the election is over....

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-death-of-barcades?hl=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.