Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will most "barcade" pinball locations survive until the COVID-19 pandemic is over?”

• YES, they will still be here in some form 90 votes
      31%
    • NO, many will be forced to close 203 votes
      69%

(293 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46BE20FA-FBC1-4A73-876F-17B79019754A (resized).jpeg
    AE0B1A38-18F4-40D0-A0AD-DA4AE4A9D163 (resized).jpeg
    grim (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    nails (resized).jpg
    E78428AF-E184-4F7F-BE5C-CA8AA4D6B0E2 (resized).jpeg
    E4313C6D-8421-4B58-B12A-ACBA37A5C163 (resized).jpeg
    4EBE3743-994E-4218-B8F5-EBFB4A246968 (resized).jpeg
    FullSizeRender-3 (resized).jpg
    AC54BA28-B1C1-4824-B374-EBD1F4E7EF0F (resized).jpeg
    0AC636C3-9DAE-4D38-9D5C-F71D455B8B75 (resized).jpeg
    1931F659-0679-4E2F-916E-8AA808439874 (resized).jpeg
    7ADFBBB4-A588-4E49-952B-805FE089649D (resized).jpeg
    70b1748a6c1dcf66d22ac5575724cfe8f303ba98 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    C95AC54A-C960-4443-93CD-987B3EC428C3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I feel so bad for the people that put their lives and dreams into opening places like these, only to see them destroyed by covid.

There were multiple arcades that had just opened or were about to open before this hit. I feel really really bad for them because it’s all sunk costs and no cost recovery at this point. Multiple people I know took out second mortgages or part of their 401K to make this happen. For us we got lucky. I invested over several years, built up slowly as revenues dictated and so we are not ground into mincemeat yet. The problem with the other ones is that they loaded up on debt and now the debt needs to be serviced. Very little flexibility in doing so. Renters get evicted, but businesses get thrown into Chapter 11 liquidation. Very little loan and debt forgiveness out there. Banks and landlords want to be paid and I get it. But there are repercussions, and they will be long lasting. The activation energy to kick out a business or call a loan are far far less than starting a new business. Our goal at this point is stay open but try to minimize the bleeding by selling off machines when needed. Hope it works

#152 3 years ago

I predict a lot of pins with moisture damage, bleached artwork and rust around the lockdown bar and flipper button area after this. I have already seen a couple of games damaged by sanitizers.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I predict a lot of pins with moisture damage, bleached artwork and rust around the lockdown bar and flipper button area after this. I have already seen a couple of games damaged by sanitizers.

I had a friend ask me about this.

I told him my games in my arcade are for commercial use. They will get wear and tear. No matter how much I take care of them. That is what they are there for.

Any home collector buying used games. Always has to consider if the game was ever in commercial use.

Nothing new under the sun.

LTG : )

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

these can maybe help: https://www.playfield-protectors.com/25/Button-Protectors

#155 3 years ago

Those are good for preventing finger nail cab gouges. Yes, that's a real thing.

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Those are good for preventing finger nail cab gouges. Yes, that's a real thing.

Should probably have your doorstaff confiscate these along with the brass knuckles.

nails (resized).jpgnails (resized).jpg
    #157 3 years ago

It’s a lousy business. Covid makes it impossible.

#158 3 years ago

To reduce the severity of the virus, put the machines outdoors and call it a "protest".

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg

If you have to keep the games indoors, require installation of a $300 UV lighting kit for each game and start adding diluted Clorox to all the mixed drinks served at the bar.

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

It’s a lousy business.

Speaking from an arcade, not a barcade.

It definitely isn't for the weak or timid.

As I'm coming up on my 48th anniversary in about 34 days. I've seen the good. The bad. And the ugly. Sounds like a spaghetti western. And right now having a very slow day.

Yet I still enjoy it.

And am looking forward to a better future. The sun is setting a couple minutes earlier everyday, my favorite time of the year, and usually better for business. Maybe a new game or two before the end of the year. And a turning point with the virus setback.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Speaking from an arcade, not a barcade.
    It definitely isn't for the weak or timid.
    As I'm coming up on my 48th anniversary in about 34 days. I've seen the good. The bad. And the ugly. Sounds like a spaghetti western. And right now having a very slow day.
    Yet I still enjoy it.
    And am looking forward to a better future. The sun is setting a couple minutes earlier everyday, my favorite time of the year, and usually better for business. Maybe a new game or two before the end of the year. And a turning point with the virus setback.
    I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I couldn’t agree more. I have my place for me as much as for public. Enjoy being there when no one else is around and just fixing stuff.

#161 3 years ago

So the undergrads are about to come back to UVA and was thinking first, maybe that might help my business. But then common sense kicked in and I said there is no way that they are gonna make this thing work. Undergrads can’t socially distance, parties are for all intents and purposes required in the orientation manual. UNC just gave up and went back to all virtual after 140 cases cropped up after a few weeks. I predict the same result here. It was a nice idea just not practical in any way, shape, or form

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Here is the help I got. 10 cents shy of $4.20 and how many months late? Letter says 7/24 but I just got the check two weeks ago and then this official WH letterhead the other day. Post Office is pretty slow these days...
    [quoted image]

At first, I was like... what the he'll!? Then I realized your in a democrat state that is poorly run and taxed to high heaven...I have a sister down there. Sucks, were all praying for ya up here.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

At first, I was like... what the he'll!? Then I realized your in a democrat state that is poorly run and taxed to high heaven...I have a sister down there. Sucks, were all praying for ya up here.

This came signed by our president from The White House in Washington DC. It doesn’t have anything to do with California, the governor of California or taxes in California.

#164 3 years ago

Here in Redding,it looks like we will lose our "Barcade" called "The Dip"where we have had our tournaments now for 2 years! We were ramping up our best players to compete with the Corridor teams outa SAC.! The "Bleachers" is gone along with "Masons"here in PC! Outlook is grim

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Outlook is grim

does not look like a fairy tale ending for location pinball.

grim (resized).jpggrim (resized).jpg
    #166 3 years ago

My local pinball arcade has closed. Mystic Pinball. Sucks. They are the reason I got back into pinball a few years ago.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

...I have a sister down there...

Poorly run, high taxes...but looks like 'Merica is giving her what she needs in some other department huh? Amiright....BRO?
    USA USA USA!!!

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

This came signed by our president from The White House in Washington DC. It doesn’t have anything to do with California, the governor of California or taxes in California.

Cali is burning down.

#169 3 years ago

This shit again.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Cali is burning down.

What does this have to do with arcade bars, their owners, operators or employees?

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Cali is burning down.

did they forget to rake the forests again?

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Poorly run, high taxes...but looks like 'Merica is giving her what she needs in some other department huh? Amiright....BRO?
    USA USA USA!!!

She's transferring to a Texas office... It's getting bad in Cali. Shame, loved surfing and Electric skateboarding there.

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

She's transferring to a Texas office...

Lots of praying down there

#174 3 years ago

I have a buddy with a barcade in town that is doing great through the pandemic. In fact, it is in the basement of a restaurant that shut down so now he is buying the entire building and making it a two story barcade with new games upstairs and retro in the basement. He is getting a ton of games for cheap because of things shutting down everywhere. So in areas without stupid government restrictions (I live in South Dakota), it seems they can survive.

And Covid-19 is real but is FAR less severe than we were told (and are still being told if you listen to CNN, MSNBC and WaPo) and our overreaction to it that has killed the economy is one of the dumbest things we've done as a country in a long time. But I'm just a physician with a degree in physics that discusses this regularly with my physician father who has a degree in epidemiology and my PhD engineer sister who does research on porous materials and microorganisms, so what would I know?

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I have a buddy with a barcade in town that is doing great through the pandemic. In fact, it is in the basement of a restaurant that shut down so now he is buying the entire building and making it a two story barcade with new games upstairs and retro in the basement. He is getting a ton of games for cheap because of things shutting down everywhere. So in areas without stupid government restrictions (I live in South Dakota), it seems they can survive.
    And Covid-19 is real but is FAR less severe than we were told (and are still being told if you listen to CNN, MSNBC and WaPo) and our overreaction to it that has killed the economy is one of the dumbest things we've done as a country in a long time. But I'm just a physician with a degree in physics that discusses this regularly with my physician father who has a degree in epidemiology and my PhD engineer sister who does research on porous materials and microorganisms, so what would I know?

Oh man....
    Great post til paragraph 2, now they’re coming for ya

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

She's transferring to a Texas office... It's getting bad in Cali. Shame, loved surfing and Electric skateboarding there.

She’ll love it here in Texas

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Stop it Tram! Quit using logic

Not “one of the dumbest things in a long time”. It’s the dumbest thing EVER

Besides all that Noem is HOT!

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Hopefully he can start doing some maintenance. My brother is living in Rapid now and says games have had the same issues for months. Not just little picky things, things like upper flippers not working.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Post this in the covid thread, you'll be burned alive!!

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

Hopefully he can start doing some maintenance. My brother is living in Rapid now and says games have had the same issues for months. Not just little picky things, things like upper flippers not working.

Some of his older pins are in pretty rough shape and he hasn't been able to commit the time or money to improve them as he is so busy maintaining all of his games (he owns games at several other locations as well). I am going to let him use my MMr and TH which are both working perfectly and he is going to buy some new Sterns so there will be at least a few pins in good shape there in the near future.

Quoted from iceman44:

Stop it Tram! Quit using logic
    Not “one of the dumbest things in a long time”. It’s the dumbest thing EVER
    Besides all that Noem is HOT!

I've met and talked to her in person at a party. She's better in person; best legs ever.

Quoted from mrm_4:

Oh man....
    Great post til paragraph 2, now they’re coming for ya

Oh shit....

Quoted from poppapin:

I waste enough time arguing with people I respect on Facebook. I don't need to add people I don't respect on here.

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why? Is it because he's based this on his experience in South Dakota, one of the least affected states? They've had 10k cases *total*. California, Texas, and Florida have all had over 500,000-600,000 cases *each*. SD is one of the least populated states in the US, coming in at #46. If anyone has noticed, the more populated (and especially the more *densely* populated the state), the greater the chance of spreading the virus--especially when the state is loaded with crybabies who can't put a piece of cloth in front of their face when they go to McDonald's.

The states with the highest populations (and population density) are unsurprisingly saddled with the most cases.

So yeah, maybe SD doesn't need to give a damn about the virus. Doesn't mean everyone should be following their lead either.

But hey, only 172,000+ dead so far, and over 5.5 *million* infected, nothing to worry about here lol

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Why? Is it because he's based this on his experience in South Dakota, one of the least affected states? They've had 10k cases *total*. California, Texas, and Florida have all had over 500,000-600,000 cases *each*. SD is one of the least populated states in the US, coming in at #46. If anyone has noticed, the more populated (and especially the more *densely* populated the state), the greater the chance of spreading the virus--especially when the state is loaded with crybabies who can't put a piece of cloth in front of their face when they go to McDonald's.
    The states with the highest populations (and population density) are unsurprisingly saddled with the most cases.
    So yeah, maybe SD doesn't need to give a damn about the virus. Doesn't mean everyone should be following their lead either.
    But hey, only 172,000+ dead so far, and over 5.5 *million* infected, nothing to worry about here lol

No shit. Like I said, post it in the covid thread. They don't like hearing any other side of the story. All doom and gloom.

#183 3 years ago

It's fucking South Dakota. Build a barcade to the heavens in the Sahara, too. This isn't rocket science.

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I believe much of this is entirely specific to what’s going on in South Dakota. I do hope that the rest of the country didn’t import its problems to South Dakota with Sturgis. As to whether this is all some overreaction everywhere else, I’m sure history will offer some cogent analysis some day. PhD theses will be written for years to come. In the middle of it all, I don’t think anyone can say for sure what the best choices are here going forward. What I can reasonably say though is that we did have the opportunity to prevent all of this so that we weren’t stuck in some false narrative of trading off economic barcade and other pain versus deaths. We got both and neither had to unfold the way they did if the PhDs and physicians had been allowed to dictate what happened from the beginning and people would actual value expertise over independence and freedom of choice. As it was, in our environment this was all entirely predictable. Water under the bridge either way. Now just to figure a way out from under this mess. It’s not gonna be simple. Just trying to survive

#185 3 years ago

Please update any pinball locator apps you have. Helps everyone. Pinfinder, pinballmap, etc.

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

No shit. Like I said, post it in the covid thread. They don't like hearing any other side of the story. All doom and gloom.

The one in Sioux falls closed so it's not all roses.
    You guys know South Dakota rules. You're just jealous of our no income tax and subzero winters

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

The one in Sioux falls closed so it's not all roses. The people out in rapid city are nuts
    You guys know South Dakota rules. You're just jealous of our no income tax and subzero winters

#188 3 years ago
    #189 3 years ago

Some good news for a change:

There are two new Up-Down barcade locations opening in OKC and Nashville (for a total of seven for the company). The OKC location is local to me, and seems very promising; the building looks fantastic, and the neighborhood is a long-time “arts” enclave which attracts the kind of young, affluent “new blood” our hobby needs.

https://www.updownarcadebar.com/

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Some good news for a change:
    There are two new Up-Down barcade locations opening in OKC and Nashville (for a total of seven for the company). The OKC location is local to me, and seems very promising; the building looks fantastic, and the neighborhood is a long-time “arts” enclave which attracts the kind of young, affluent “new blood” our hobby needs.
    https://www.updownarcadebar.com/

If you have deep pockets, this is the right move here. There will be a new normal and you just have to be willing to take a gamble here to be part of that with a leg up. It’s our approach anyway, just stay open to try to stay relevant even if it’s at a pittance of what we were before

#191 3 years ago

holy shit, disaster capitalism: "Eight of the biggest food and beverage companies pay out USD $18 billion to shareholders as new epicentres of hunger emerge across the globe"

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Amen, dude.

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm jealous of you guys in SD. We are inundated with mostly senseless restrictions here. Can we swap governors for a bit?

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

holy shit, disaster capitalism: "Eight of the biggest food and beverage companies pay out USD $18 billion to shareholders as new epicentres of hunger emerge across the globe"

Without investors, the hole system would collapse...and alot more people would be starving, way more. I'm up for a go fund me page, I would donate.
    I'm out of a job/income, but I prepared myself for certain situations

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

SD has 800k residents. CA has 40M. If SD has had 10k cases and CA has had 500k the infection rate per capita is nearly identical. There goes your whole argument. Irregardless, pretty dumb suggesting his view is less valid due to geographic location.

#196 3 years ago

Population density has to be added into the equation. We know from the initial disasters in Europe and NYC how that plays into things. You guys in California have that issue, too. Smother it out, but with the density as it is in the metro areas it just flames back up super fast again.

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm jealous of you guys in SD. We are inundated with mostly senseless restrictions here. Can we swap governors for a bit?

Fuck no.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Population density has to be added into the equation.

Exactly. Has anyone else noticed how rarely this crucial part of the equation is mentioned in news today? Even top news organizations worldwide regularly compare infection or death totals of two different regions/states/countries completely ignoring population. Then conclude the situation is worse for the place with the highest number.

So glad to see there are some others here noticing this too. I’ve found lately that even discussing this simple logical fact is becoming taboo which is proof to me we are definately living in interesting times.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So for Decades Arcade we have: 45 unidirectional fans bringing air from outside thru the arcade and routing it out the front door turning over the air every 10 min, 50 UVC light that blast every square inch of the arcade for 15 min every 2 hours (kinda of like kids pool breaks where everyone has to get out of the pool), 18 MERV-13 air purifiers, multi hour disinfection at night with UVC and ozone generators, all machines coated with long term anti viral coating and disinfected every hour, no food except outside (have a fan there too), hand sanitizer required upon entry, and aggressive and strict surveillance of mask wearing while in the arcade - ya get kicked out if not wearing it correctly and you cannot be redirected to do so. And in particular we concentrate on dead air space like the bathroom to make sure it’s not dead. Finally we register everyone so we can help contact trace if needed. My point is why not rank risk by what the business actually does to prevent infection. Why not recognize those businesses who give a crap and do something beyond a bottle of hand sanitizer at the door and saying a prayer upon entry (looking at you Walmart and Lowe’s) Inside doesn’t have to be unsafe, just because you are essential doesn’t give you license to do whatever the hell you want to do (come on in everyone, we have enough parking for all). If every person and business did what we are doing we might have this actually under control. My business did its part, and went into more debt to do so. About the only thing left is free coronavirus tests at the door which I’d do if available. What’s everyone else’s excuse.

So, from an absolutely obsessive collector point of view, what does all of thisnUV light do to machines. I have to believe tons of fading and fragile plastics. Anyone?

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

And Covid-19 is real but is FAR less severe than we were told (and are still being told if you listen to CNN, MSNBC and WaPo) and our overreaction to it that has killed the economy is one of the dumbest things we've done as a country in a long time.

I'm glad to hear that things are currently fine in Bison Corners, SD but there have been 18 covid deaths in my county in the last 7 days. FAR less severe??? That's a helpful message.

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-death-of-barcades/page/4?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.