You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!!!!TWD2.jpg
10451739_10203864464925003_1252506742290232069_n.jpg
rick_happy-an-actual-tiger-to-join-the-cast-of-the-walking-dead.gif
1925183_342148505956459_1221884506701750331_n.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

THE WALKING DEAD IS HERE!

Just a heads up for all the local guys or for any non local guys that want to travel...The Walking Dead is being picked up as I write this. There will be TWO Walking Dead pins at Mortimer's now through the launch party, so don't worry about showing up and not getting some time on one because someone is hogging the game. D&G has shaker motors and subs for each ready to go in, and they should be available for play by this afternoon. I will post here as an update when it's ready so people can swing over to try it if they want.

#2 9 years ago

I know what I am doing tonight...probably some LOTR as well.

#3 9 years ago

Moved to "Stern" sub-forum.

#4 9 years ago

It's a horde...

1925183_342148505956459_1221884506701750331_n.jpg1925183_342148505956459_1221884506701750331_n.jpg
#5 9 years ago

The one at SS Billiards will be playable as soon as it's unboxed. Should be here any minute.

LTG : )

#6 9 years ago

All good news !

That means...
Mortimers
SS Billiards
Sun Ray
Blainbrook
Brunswick Zone

Probably Drakulas as well.

All will have a new Stern. It's a hot title.

#7 9 years ago

Code is v1.05 so far

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The one at SS Billiards will be playable as soon as it's unboxed. Should be here any minute.

And it is up and running now !

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

All good news !
That means...
Mortimers
SS Billiards
Sun Ray
Blainbrook
Brunswick Zone
Probably Drakulas as well.
All will have a new Stern. It's a hot title.

Things to do...........
Move to MN.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Things to do...........
Move to MN.

Worth it for the Cheese Pump alone.

LTG : )™

#11 9 years ago

Damn, St Paul sounds like a great city for Pinheads! Please post first impressions!

rick_happy-an-actual-tiger-to-join-the-cast-of-the-walking-dead.gifrick_happy-an-actual-tiger-to-join-the-cast-of-the-walking-dead.gif
#12 9 years ago

So what does everyone think of it?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Damn, St Paul sounds like a great city for Pinheads! Please post first impressions!

Well in Hopkins the impressions are impressive !

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Worth it for the Cheese Pump alone.

Lloyd - You need a shirt with that saying printed on it. Congrats on the new machine!!!

#15 9 years ago

Both games are ready to go. A lot of people showed up to play before the second game was even set up. It's a pretty game. I love the little touches like blood splatter on some of the clear plastics. Tight shots and some unforgiving outlanes...especially the left outlane...brutal. Definitely some graphics placeholders and such currently. It's fun to play and get everything going at once. I only played 2 games, so there is still a lot to learn, but the skill shot rollovers are a nice change and the BITE award for draining is cool too. Lots of bashing, lots of dangerous shots with numerous chances to go STDM. Can't wait to put more time on it.

Dean Vending bought one too, so who knows where that is going. We will have 6 in the metro area, so lots of opportunities to play.

10451739_10203864464925003_1252506742290232069_n.jpg10451739_10203864464925003_1252506742290232069_n.jpg

!!!!TWD2.jpg!!!!TWD2.jpg
#16 9 years ago

Damn that is one sexy pin! Congrats!

#17 9 years ago

Sounds like it's going to be a great earning street pin !
Fast, mean and pretty . Wanting to hit that start button again and again.

#18 9 years ago

How did the callouts sound? Hopefully, not as bad when you're immersed in the game as they did when hunting for things to complain about on the first YouTube vids we got a look at.

#19 9 years ago

Had a chance to play tonight at Mortimers, and I really enjoyed it. It seems like you can stack almost everything on the field and start a double for some really nice points. Anyone who said that this is just a redo of Austin Powers is way way off base. Can't wait for a chance to play the LE later this month.

This may be a bug, but if you light an extra ball and start a multiball it will give you credit for the extra ball since the extra ball shot leaves you back in the shooter lane. You can also let a ball drain if you have the ball saver on and get the extra ball if you are in a multiball when you light the extra ball. That could just be working as intended though.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Not just St Paul, they are in the whole metro area which has something like 3 million people.

#21 9 years ago

Now THAT'S a great pin to put on location!!

#22 9 years ago

"sorry, wrong thread"..

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

This a pin , that is a wanna be Metallica, Although beautiful artwork, will never be a Metallica pin rules wise...sorry to say...Just get Metallica...

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this ridiculous comment, but how can you possibly know how TWD will ultimately stack up to Metallica rules wise?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this ridiculous comment, but how can you possibly know how TWD will ultimately stack up to Metallica rules wise?

Yep, and same coder as Metallica...what a foolish comment.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yep, and same coder as Metallica...what a foolish comment.

Lyman also did MB (and many others) and I dont think the code is the same as MET. I would think there would need to be more info as to why someone would think the code will be the same. Will there be things that are similar? Yes. That's pinball. You could say that about a lot of games from a lot of different designers or coders.

Quoted from limelime20:

This a pin , that is a wanna be Metallica, Although beautiful artwork, will never be a Metallica
pin rules wise...sorry to say...Just get Metallica...

It won't be MET because it's TWD. Also, It looks as if there are more shots on TWD so this alone would require different rules.

Glad your enjoying MET. It's a great game. Always has me coming back for more.

Chris

#26 9 years ago

Also to stay on topic: It's great to see so many TWD pins in MN. Lots of options for play. As well as the idea that ops are buying machines to put on route.

Great stuff.

Wish I was around for the launch party or Circus.

Chris

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Wish I was around for the Circus.

Me too.

LTG : (™

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Wish I was around for the launch party or Circus.

It'll happen some day Chris.

#29 9 years ago

I checked out TWD at Sunray today, and I'm impressed with it so far. Here are my thoughts from about 30 minutes worth of play so far:

Artwork/Lighting/Sound:
As others have noted, the playfield art is very well done, and the fine detail on the well walker and prison is noticeable and adds to the overall polished look of the game. The AMC logo on the backglass is oddly placed, I admit, but it's understandable. The lighting is also well done, and the colors of the insert lighting fit nicely with the overall color palette. Visibility on this machine was excellent, and I was able to see the ball at all times. There were no glaring blind or dark spots that I noticed. Music was fitting to the theme, and was not annoying. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for the voiceovers. I'm not a fan of the show, and I've seen maybe ten minutes of it in my life, but the callouts did not fit the theme, and it was glaringly obvious. I hope Stern will address that in future code, since the incongruity between the voiceover clips and the rest of the package was jarring.

Gameplay/Mechanics:
As others have noted, the skill shot was a unique feature, and it was nice to see something different from the standard rollover mechanic. Point ranges if I recall correctly on the shot were a minimum of 500,000 points, but I was also seeing skill shots in the 1.5 million range, which added a bit of a challenge worth shooting for. I agree with the sentiment of some about the amount of time the ball lingered in the pop bumpers, which I wasn't thrilled with. The feed out of the bumpers was usually safe, but you need to be prepared for some dribbles out of the area to prevent center drains (this was frustrating, especially if the ball save timed out while the ball smacked around in the pops). I was a bit confused on the overall rules at first, and other than the obvious shots (the prison and well walker), the mode start shots weren't readily apparent, although I did figure out the sequence after a couple of games. The well walker shot is a relatively safe shot from the right flipper, and I did notice a bit of inconsistency registering hits to the walker toy (perhaps one of every ten shots to the toy seemed to not register - nothing too annoying to me, but it could be so for some people). The well walker multiball, for the amount of bashes to the toy seemed to lack a certain amount of payoff, but it seems as a step up shot to the much more risky (but much more lucrative) prison multiball. One approach which I used for a respectable score was to beat on the well walker using the safe return on the right hand side, and then using the walker multiball to start the prison multiball. Combined with riot mode, the points racked up fairly quickly using this method. In regards to other features, the woodbury shot was an interesting idea, but it seemed to me like a sucker shot, so I stopped shooting at it. Perhaps someone can provide more insight on this. The right ramp is a very tight shot, and I noted that some of the more lucrative modes were on that ramp (and rightfully so, I think). Left ramp is an easy shot and easily repeatable, but the emphasis on combos helps to prevent a one shot wonder game, it seems, so I think they thought of that potential. At this point, I enjoyed the game quite a bit and will play it some more to form a better impression of it, but in general I am impressed with it!

#30 9 years ago

Thanks for the review, Pinder!

#31 9 years ago

Nice review Pinder. Thanks. Seems like the game is going to be fun, but there's just no getting around the bad voice work.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It'll happen some day Chris.

I made it about 3 or 4 years ago now. Its where I met Tony for the first time. Which was the best day ever. I'm just looking forward to seeing the refresh when I'm that way next.

Just promise lots of pictures. LGT always seems to do a nice job posting some after the event.

chris

#33 9 years ago

A followup to my previous posting. In summary, the more I play TWD (at about 50 plays in total now), the less I like it. The path to points is always the same - start prison multiball, start well walker multiball if you can, and start a mode to stack with it (e.g. riot) for points. The problem I'm having is that the game feels like a chore, and a grind. They really need to add some side missions or other ways to score points on this game rather than hitting shots in the same sequence every time. In a nutshell, the game on this code level quickly becomes a bore after three or four games. I can see some possibilities which would lead to interesting outcomes, such as different bonuses for collected weapons or mode differences based on progress. The main thing is that at this point in the code cycle, there is really only one path to points in this game, and it is boring. Here's to hoping that the code is polished up, and more player choices are added. I suspect that will be the case, since Lyman appears to feel the same way (at least based on interviews I've seen from him on this topic), so I am hopeful. The theme and the environment has the potential for a truly interesting and deep game, so I'm hoping that this game realizes its full potential.

#34 9 years ago

I see what your saying but this seems to be a Borg thing, Ironman and Metallica both have the same feel and yes I sold my Metallica Pre a month ago after a few hundred plays and same thing started to feel like a chore but for me any pinball will start to feel like that with time, I played it today only around 6 times and found it extremely fun, what a great theme(I have an LE coming)but unless you have a large collection so rotation is involved tough to judge, I don't know if you own any pins or where you played TWD, not trying to demean your opinion I respect it and can see where u are coming from but until the LE's are out and in peoples houses so difficult to review not to mention code is still early. I thought the shots were great and really loved the flow, I would love to know what pin you think wouldn't get boring after 50 plus plays? Just curious not being defensive as I don't really care. I might get it and sell it in a month. I did that with Tron, AC/DC Luci, Xmen Magneto, Avengers LE, Transformers LE lasted a bit longer but still its gone. Anyway if you did buy the pro I hope it gets better for ya.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Ironman and Metallica both have the same feel

Really?? These games aren't close to the same feel...

#36 9 years ago

I meant more that Borg games have a certain feel like Ritchie games and so on, a lot of people have compared IM and Met, no real modes just a lot of multiballs and setting up for big points via double scoring and the like. I think they are close to the same feel as is TWD from what I got playing the game, in a good way though.

1 week later
#37 9 years ago

My son and I just went out to Mortimer's for the Walking Dead launch tournament, and unfortunately they wouldn't allow him in (not 21), so we had to leave. I've never been to Mortimer's prior to today, so one suggestion on the launch parties - if they are going to all be at Mortimer's (which unfortunately, they seem to be), could you add some wording on the flyers noting this ('21+ Only' or something). My son was bummed, but it is what it is. It would be good if some of the launch events were available for younger people; after all, if we want to encourage young people to play pinball, we should host events they can attend.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

My son and I just went out to Mortimer's for the Walking Dead launch tournament, and unfortunately they wouldn't allow him in (not 21), so we had to leave. I've never been to Mortimer's prior to today, so one suggestion on the launch parties - if they are going to all be at Mortimer's (which unfortunately, they seem to be), could you add some wording on the flyers noting this ('21+ Only' or something). My son was bummed, but it is what it is. It would be good if some of the launch events were available for younger people; after all, if we want to encourage young people to play pinball, we should host events they can attend.

Matt, I talked with Ted after the party. We had no idea you and Bryson showed up. I wish we would have known. We can't help with any issues if we are not aware of them. The city is looking for any reason to get them in trouble since they are an old fashioned bar, so the owner has told them to default to "no" in all under age situations, but we have asked them to make exceptions in the past. I know you guys like going to Sun Ray, so I will talk to Tony and see if we can do something for you both.

#39 9 years ago

First of all, thank you for your quick response. As I stated to your personally, I don't want special consideration for I or Bryson. Rather, I am looking for a compromise for people such as myself, who bring minors with them. I can't be the first person to run into this, especially considering the frequency of events at the location. I want to reiterate that I understand the position of the bar, especially considering the oversight of the city. Would it be possible to work out an arrangement for minors, such as wristbands or something, which would clearly identify that they are there for pinball, and that they are not to be served which would meet the needs of the bar, the city, and the patrons? I was impressed by the lineup in the bar, and I don't want to cause problems. I would just like to enjoy pinball with my son. I suspect others are in similar situations as well.

#40 9 years ago

Played a few games of TWD 1.07 today over at Sunray, and I'd like to say that the additions in the new code version add quite a bit to the game; crossbow and bicycle girl add some interesting targets to shoot for, and add more depth to the overall gameplay (my complaint before was the lack of interesting options, and these extra items help in that respect - bicycle girl alone is a very effective way to rack up a ton of points in a short time). Also, I noticed some changes in the extra ball behavior, which makes sense - now you actually have to shoot for the extra ball, rather than plunging for it. Also lighting effects have changed somewhat, such as greater use of "blackout" effects. All in all, some good additions and improvement. I think if more could be made of the weapons/food/first aid in terms of shaping strategy, that would be very interesting to me. So the pin continues to improve; the center prison shot still results in too many SDTMs; hopefully there is a way to resolve this in code updates.

#41 9 years ago

Is this the same place where a pinsider has pins at a bowling alley near Oakdale?

#42 9 years ago

Yes, pinside's own policano. Great games out there; as anyone who works there knows, I'm a regular. Games are well maintained and dialed in. I'd classify its location as east Saint Paul; website for the location is http://www.eastsidepinball.com.

#43 9 years ago

I highly recommend Eastside to anyone that has not been there. Well maintained and they have a great Fish Tales with color dmd.

#44 9 years ago

Wait a minute... We have a working TWDLE here in the States with NO video... WT#!!!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Wait a minute... We have a working TWDLE here in the States with NO video... WT#!!!

Where is there an LE In the states?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

No LE, its a PRO running the code that we had for our launch party. Same as EXPO.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

Played a few games of TWD 1.07 today over at Sunray, and I'd like to say that the additions in the new code version add quite a bit to the game; crossbow and bicycle girl add some interesting targets to shoot for, and add more depth to the overall gameplay (my complaint before was the lack of interesting options, and these extra items help in that respect - bicycle girl alone is a very effective way to rack up a ton of points in a short time). Also, I noticed some changes in the extra ball behavior, which makes sense - now you actually have to shoot for the extra ball, rather than plunging for it. Also lighting effects have changed somewhat, such as greater use of "blackout" effects. All in all, some good additions and improvement. I think if more could be made of the weapons/food/first aid in terms of shaping strategy, that would be very interesting to me. So the pin continues to improve; the center prison shot still results in too many SDTMs; hopefully there is a way to resolve this in code updates.

He keeps mentioning LE shots...? Does this not sound like he played the LE?

#48 9 years ago

Crossbow and Bicycle girls are indicated on the pro with a light at the ramp, so he could be referring to that. Above the right ramp is a green light for "crossbow" and a red lamp for "fishtank". Above the left ramp is a blue light, I'm assuming for bicycle girl. In the 1.05 code I have, those lamps do not come on at any point in the game. They do come on during the light show, so I know they are at least connected and functional

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

He keeps mentioning LE shots...? Does this not sound like he played the LE?

There are still bicycle girl and crossbow modes in the pro.

#50 9 years ago

This is a pro, yes. No actual crossbow, just the light on the right ramp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.00
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dead-walk-in-minnesota and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.