Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Hyperion
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Keep the ratings system or get rid of it?”

• Keep the ratings system. 73 votes
      85%
    • Get rid of the ratings system. 13 votes
      15%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

triumph.jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Good points Jason. I think maybe I am shifting on the boutique ranking idea, since like you said all pins are no longer really location pins... I just need a better network Would love to come play your pins again if you will have me over. Maybe I will change my mind on Tron with more playtime?

Definitely need to get you over again one of these days! Not sure if your opinion of Tron will change, but you're welcome to give it another try. For whatever reason it does have that just one more game feeling. I think it is because it kicks my ass so much of the time and then I can get that one good game on it. When the shots are flowing it is a blast to play. When they're not, it can be very frustrating.

I'm not getting an MG or BHZA though... So I won't be able to help you out there.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I still would really like to see a self-limiting aspect to the ratings. I do not know the perfect way to do it, but I would prefer that people are forced to utilize the spectrum more fully and actually make their own individual rankings. In otherwords, not everypin that someone ranks should be between a 9 and 10 IMHO. I also see many examples where someone ranks their #1 at a 10.0 and then #2 through #10 between 7 and 5. If there was a way to deter this behavior you could potentially equalize the voting/ranking so a person can not make their ranking 'worth' more by merely being more extreme and actually pushing ratings up/down in an attempt to move the mean.

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how best to implement it. I've noticed the same thing you have. Over the last year I've stumbled across a fair number of people that rate everything between 9 and 10. Seems odd to me, but at the same time maybe they really do like everything they play. If they rate everything that closely then their ratings kind of cancel each other out anyway.

The ratings are an ever evolving thing for me. Just tonight I went through and re-rated a number of pins that my opinion had changed on over the past few months. I know a number of other people do this as well, which is a good thing.

I need to look into my ratings sliders, because I feel like I'm rating a lot of machines well and they still end up in the 7's which seems odd to me. Gonna have to look into how things are weighted...

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not know the perfect way to do it, but I would prefer that people are forced to utilize the spectrum more fully and actually make their own individual rankings. In otherwords, not everypin that someone ranks should be between a 9 and 10 IMHO.

I was thinking about this before.. It would be sorta cool to have a slide where you position pins. Something like this:

--Nascar---DH---LW3----JP----DM----JD----WH20----AFM---

That would certainly bring some variation to the ratings, it forces people to rate pins in relation to each other. I'm sure that could also be abused, as well (putting a top 5 at the bottom, for instance). You could still rank every machine whatever you'd like, Nascar may be a 9 to you, but it would not play on the rankings because you had that machine as your lowest - those numbers would be more for your own reference.

Just a thought, I'm not really one that thinks we really need to overhaul the entire ranking system.

#53 11 years ago

I heart the ratings. Also... I don't take them very seriously.

#54 11 years ago

AD/DC #1 Transformers #4 Tron #25 = ratings all one big damn joke

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cut-and-the-dry-of-it-the-ratings/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.