20180506_112056 (resized).jpg
20180506_112014 (resized).jpg
20180506_111538 (resized).jpg
20180502_132154 (resized).jpg
20180502_132146 (resized).jpg
20180502_132127 (resized).jpg
20180502_132057 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Last Tuesday night I was miserable: my father in law had been in the hospital quite a bit in the past few weeks, and not up to snuff. The preceding Saturday, I went down to mow his farm, which still takes a couple hours with a commercial zero-turn even when you know what you're doing (I don't). Now I didn't mind to do it, but knew my allergies would make me pay dearly. And that they did: by Tuesday it was painful to keep my eyes open and they watered uncontrollably with a headache to boot. Ah well, I've earned my sick days, so that night I prepared to notify the office I wouldn't be in for Wednesday.

While doing this, a CL alert email came into my phone. I opened it and my jaw dropped. Couldn't believe what I was seeing (stupid watery eyes, quit trolling me). After my wife heard me muttering and made me repeat it, I still didn't believe it. Only posted a half hour ago...? A rare title, $500, lights but non-working. But I could fix that and even lesser titles go for more non-working. What gives?

So here's the thing: Everyone says "be ready with the truck and cash at a moment's notice". And sometimes you don't question - reply first to get the in and ask questions later. But I've lost out on deals within 15 minutes several times, and this one seemed even harder to believe. Ah well, 9:00 on Tuesday night isn't the best time to post a deal, so what the heck - I don't feel good, it seems scammy, but I'll send the email anyway. If it's real I'll be there with cash in the morning, assuming I feel well enough to wake up.

Late that night I got the email thanking me for my interest, and would I please text to confirm arrangements? Um. What? No way!

So the next morning was not easy. I still didn't feel so hot and should have stayed home. Even trying to get going, the universe conspired against me as if to reinforce the stupidity of my decision, so I was late heading out. And there must have been some kind of manhunt because I saw so many troopers (16!!!) busting traffic on both sides of the state border, that there was no chance of a leadfoot make up. It was a longer drive and day than I planned for in even the worst case.

But I found the place. And even right in front of me I couldn't believe it:

20180502_132146 (resized).jpg20180502_132146 (resized).jpg

20180502_132057 (resized).jpg20180502_132057 (resized).jpg

20180502_132127 (resized).jpg20180502_132127 (resized).jpg

20180502_132154 (resized).jpg20180502_132154 (resized).jpg

I asked to see the boards since during the drive it dawned on me that if "lights" meant GI but no displays.... that could get pricey in a hurry. When we opened the backbox I could see the driver board not well connected to the MPU. But both looked really clean. Huh, could it be? Pushed them together, turned it on and... displays! Would not play but I could figure that later.

Seller looked at me and said "By this morning I realized I priced it too low because I've had people bugging me all morning, including someone from Chicago asking to pp $1200 if I would hold it for him... but I just wanted it gone, and you were first, so looks like you got a nice deal!"

Loaded it up and suddenly my watery eyes were tolerable and the headache seemed to subside

Got it home and went at the obvious stuff: a hacked transistor blew a 7402 which kept all the special solenoids and flippers from working. Disconected wires and signs all under the playfield that a desperate owner had no idea what to do. Replaced three parts on the driver board and BOOM: game plays!

Needs other random TLC fixes and lots of cleanup as these finds tend, but still. What a find and lucky strike! I'll remember this one for a while.

So when they say be ready at a moment's notice, they're not kidding. Add me to the choir.

For such a simple and cheaply designed game, it's surprisingly good. Programmed and designed in two weeks - the LSD theme makes PERFECT sense now!

20180506_111538 (resized).jpg20180506_111538 (resized).jpg
20180506_112014 (resized).jpg20180506_112014 (resized).jpg
20180506_112056 (resized).jpg20180506_112056 (resized).jpg
20180506_112041 (resized).jpg20180506_112041 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Glad things came together for you and you got it ! Nice machine.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

Bloody nice for 500. I'll get Snail Time...someday.. ;_;

#5 5 years ago

Now you have to go onto a college campus and get some real acid.

Play the game how the designers intended.

376251163-DSCN0018 (resized).jpg376251163-DSCN0018 (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ill venture youre a fan of Ken Kesey too!

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You gotta hop into your time machine first! The only time kids are doing anything with acid on a college campus these days is when they're performing a titration in chemistry.

Today, it's all about drinking cheap ass beer until you can no longer feel the crippling debt of college loans.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No doubt! I must sheepishly admit that beyond the occasional epic blackout fitshacing, I've been pretty clean... but I've often wanted to experience a proper trip myself.

But I stand by my assessment that after learning about this game's development, it's pretty astounding. God bless the lunatics at Williams: "Fuuuu they're giving us two weeks to design a game or else the factory is shutting down? What the eff man, how we gonna do that? Pass the stuf- oooooooohhhhhhh!"

Wonder if JJP had some of that stuff if Pirates would be done...?

Quoted from mbaumle:

Today, it's all about drinking cheap ass beer until you can no longer feel the crippling debt of college loans.

I didn't realize I'd become a beer snob until I was at visiting home in Chicago, chilling watching storms with my bro, and we went out for something cheap. For old times' sake, repping the 'hood, set a 12pk of Old Style on the counter, scan, boop: $7.99. ?!?! 8 bucks for a fresh chilled 12pk of bottles?!?! I was getting used to paying that much for a single! And TBH Old Style wasn't half bad...

#9 5 years ago

Yes, the thought of going to some mundane job can make any of us feel sick. Nothing like doing what you like to make you feel better.

Once back in the 80s I was sick as a dog with the flu and a fever. But I had concert tickets to see a bunch of metal bands that night so I sucked it up and went anyway. We did all the usual stuff you do at a concert like that and I sweated it out of me and felt like a million bucks the next day.

Congrats on the great deal!

#11 5 years ago

That’s a sweet game. Good find.

#12 5 years ago

Thanks Eric, Matt, and all...! Still can't believe it is sitting in my basement right now. Had been on the wish-list since I first played one two years ago, and didn't know how rare they were at the time.

The Firepower sounds just add to the mindfark.

I'd like to properly refurbish / restore the PF eventually, but man. In the worn spots, the paint isn't so much "worn" as "missing", like it just popped off in chunks. The surrounding paint surface is pretty thick.

But even as is, this game is wicked fast at times. I can't imagine how much better it will be with new rubbers and coil sleeves.

Oh, and funny thing about the time tube: if you don't screw the plastic to the top of the target, sometimes - not always, not even often, but sometimes - the ball will pop out as if it warped through the sidewall, instead of coming back down the ramp. I think I might leave it that way because it's so totally and appropriately "WTF???!" when that happens.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

You gotta hop into your time machine first! The only time kids are doing anything with acid on a college campus these days is when they're performing a titration in chemistry.

Set your time machine for 2018

16 to 26 years of age:

Alcohol use is down.

Weed is more popular than tobacco, way up.

Molly and Acid are up

Cocaine is up

Tobacco is down

Bath Salts down

Vaping up

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 60.00
Electronics
Cobra Amusements
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cure-for-what-ails-is-the-advice-you-always-hear?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.