(Topic ID: 66980)

The Crying Game - Whats with people these days.

By Slate

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Slate
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-849.jpg
    image.jpg
    mmgrave.jpg
    joker.png
    IMAG0870.jpg
    crying game.jpg
    77539881099c77659f89470c62710c4d.jpg
    146452972_clint-eastwood-noose-the-good-bad-ugly-photo-rare-ebay.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

This is exactly what the hobby needs. We need more machines of this state in the hands of people that aren't just trying to make a buck off of some dandy with deep pockets.

I agree and like to see speculators run off also but you guys are acting like somebody's giving you a gift or something.
    These repro's are *eight thousand dollars*... plus shipping, tax etc... hardly a great way to bring "new blood" into the hobby.
    I was lucky to be around when they were made and $3400 seemed ridiculous to me at the time. I don't think I could part with 8k... ouch.

I'd be careful labeling some people "dandy's with deep pockets" (though I like the phrase) because you guys lining up to drop 8k without a worry just might be "those dandy's"

Maybe it's just me getting back into it after 10 years - I find the current prices of everything pretty shocking... everybody else seems to think 8k is a bargain. OK I now see I have written "8k" about 10x now... I need sleep

#52 10 years ago

When you buy pinball machines based entirely on 'what it's worth and how much it's going to be worth', and you're viewing an artificially inflated price as an investment, you have to accept the fact that investments don't always double and triple in price, sometimes they go down.
    Owning a MM, AFM, MB was like being in an elite club. Now they're letting everyone in the club and that's hard to swallow sometimes. I personally think it's great, but I was never crazy enough to drop 12k on a 20 year old routed game. It's fun, just not that fun.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShawn:

Owning a MM, AFM, MB was like being in an elite club. Now they're letting everyone in the club and that's hard to swallow sometimes.

77539881099c77659f89470c62710c4d.jpg77539881099c77659f89470c62710c4d.jpg

#54 10 years ago

Higher value pins are often bought with speculation about their future value, rather than bought for their great playability. It's comparable to buying stocks. You will sometimes lose money. It's just the way it is. Owners can whine if it makes them feel better, but it won't change a thing.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

People with a gameroom full of A listers (MM, AFM, MB) are probably pretty wealthy. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but there's only one group of people who feel more "entitled" than the super poor that many people on here scoff at. And I think you know who I'm talking about...yep, the top 1%.

Yeah, because people that will be paying $8,000 for a remake of a toy are the super poor.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Yeah, because people that will be paying $8,000 for a remake of a toy are the super poor.

lol nailed that one... apparently a lot of deep pockets in pinball these days. It's like "the rich" and the "slightly richer"

#57 10 years ago

I hope everyone that wanted a new MM got in on it before the "pin flippers" cornered the market. After they're sold out, all you'll see for sale is NIB ebay deals.

Steve

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

By the way, this this thread sure is attracting a lot of jealous, have-not, haters. Celebrating a remake is one thing, but celebrating the misfortune of others makes you look like a dumb jerk.

What misfortune? Anyone who's had one to enjoy or could afford one recently is pretty damn fortunate!

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

I agree and like to see speculators run off also but you guys are acting like somebody's giving you a gift or something.
    These repro's are *eight thousand dollars*... plus shipping, tax etc... hardly a great way to bring "new blood" into the hobby.
    I was lucky to be around when they were made and $3400 seemed ridiculous to me at the time. I don't think I could part with 8k... ouch.

I'd be careful labeling some people "dandy's with deep pockets" (though I like the phrase) because you guys lining up to drop 8k without a worry just might be "those dandy's"

Maybe it's just me getting back into it after 10 years - I find the current prices of everything pretty shocking... everybody else seems to think 8k is a bargain. OK I now see I have written "8k" about 10x now... I need sleep

Don't get me wrong. I think the current 8K prices are too high as well, and I'm not lining up for an LE.

A standard edition at 6.5-7 thousand would have my attention. I'm not sure what the exact inflation rates from your $3400 purchase back in the 90s would calculate at. I don't expect a sub 7K version would be too far off, heck the copper would have been dirt cheap back then. We'll have to see what the plans are after the initial 1000 are out the door.

My main interest is in the machines that are not restored, and need work. New production frees up these types of machines away from the flippers. It gives the real hobbyists a chance to acquire them now. Now the flippers have to complete with the hobbyists for these machines (instead of the other way around). The profit margin has evaporated for the vultures on this title.

It's a good day for real pinball people.

Quoted from blownfuse:

I hope everyone that wanted a new MM got in on it before the "pin flippers" cornered the market. After they're sold out, all you'll see for sale is NIB ebay deals.

Steve

As far as I understand it, there's no intention to stop making the machines after the first 1000 LEs are out. It is also my understanding that they are already allocated/sold out of these LEs. I'll wait for the standard version, or source a newly, reasonably priced non-restored original.

#60 10 years ago

Like it says on the lottery tickets here in WA.... For entertainment only, not investment. If you buy and expect to sell at a profit some time in the future, then I think you have missed the point. Never look at your pins as a 401K. It takes the fun out of it.

#61 10 years ago

They will take a hit and it sucks:
    A. If you bought one for $6-8000 +
    B. if you plan on selling yours within the next 3+ years.

They will take a hit because:
    A. A collectible from the 90's (90's!) that is meant to played with and used, is not an antique and the play is what gives it value even more so than the rarity. People want to play it, not just lock it in a safe, store it in a garage or put it In a glass case. MM is not your typical collectible you protect and do not touch.

It does suck though if you dropped $14,000 on one. We all pinball people and we do not care about the money side though. Right?

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

What misfortune? Anyone who's had one to enjoy or could afford one recently is pretty damn fortunate!

True. MM was and still is the Holy Grail of machines for some people. Kind of hard to feel sorry for anyone that actually had one. If someone had their MM stolen, destroyed in a fire, damaged in shipment, etc, I would feel bad for them. If someone had to sell their prized MM because of a family misfortune, I would feel bad. If the value drops on a machine and it is not worth as much as it was in the past, I have no sympathy. If someone got the machine to play, they were more fortunate than most. If they bought for an investment they should have realized that there are no guarantees. I bought some machines years ago planning on making a profit and sold at the worst possible time. I took a loss as the pins that I bought dropped in value. I did not complain, I just dealt with it and moved on.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Talking about the people already who have those games and complaining about a value drop. They thought that there was no way that any of those games could ever be reproduced, bought for large sums (at least in the last few years) and are now crying in their milk because a company who owns the rights to the games is actually starting to make them.

What did my post have anything to do with those who are about to drop $8000 on a reproduction?

#64 10 years ago

By the way, this this thread sure is attracting a lot of jealous haters. Celebrating a remake is one thing, but celebrating the misfortune of others makes you look like a dumb jerk.

Misfortune applied to purchasers of $10-20k toys? Please.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Misfortune applied to purchasers of $10-20k toys? Please.

The argument always devolves into claims of "jealously", doesn't it?

#66 10 years ago

There's only 1000 of them, not like it's an endless supply of MM's rolling off the assembly line for the next 5 years.

#67 10 years ago

Exactly, the market can and will absorb that many without a flood to it. They won't make many more than they can sell, they know that if they flood the market, they'll be forced to sell off games for a lot less which isn't a very good business plan. I'm guessing that's what a lot are hoping for but if you're in that crowd, you'll end up without.

Steve

Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

There's only 1000 of them, not like it's an endless supply of MM's rolling off the assembly line for the next 5 years.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ice9ers:

Fill me in please. Who's making these remakes? Williams quality components and feel?

Churchill Cabinet Company.

Same company that made the playfields and cabinets for the original MM.

It will be made in the exact same factory as it was 20 years ago.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Exactly-

When has 8k become an affordable pin for the masses?

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

'm not sure what the exact inflation rates from your $3400 purchase back in the 90s would calculate at.

$5,217

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

There IS an endless supply.

If you watched the video, they said 1000 LEs, then as many "standards" as the market will absorb afterwards.

#73 10 years ago

I don't know if I've read THAT much butt-hurt over the MM remake.

I think a lot of owners (myself included) have been largely supportive. More people get a chance to own this great game! Cool with me!

I DO think in my heart of hearts that a couple years from now, a lot of the myth behind MM will be deconstructed, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. If pinball keeps getting generally healthier, then there will be bigger and better choices for the money as pinball design FINALLY seems to be evolving.

So I think, instead of whining, I'm more interested to see how pinball hobbyists view getting the best bang for their buck in an $8k purchase. If there's any disappointment on my end, it's NOT because other people get to own MM or whatever it does to my MMs value (I wasn't going to sell it high or low, so I don't care about the price): the disappointment would be because I want there to be so many more modern visions of pinball machines out there that MM would seem dated and boring compared to what $8k can buy otherwise in 2013 (or 2014).

But those who've really got the fever and wanted an MM, MORE POWER TO YA! Enjoy it! The more, the merrier!

#74 10 years ago

You can't just apply a gross inflation calculator at the monetary value though. Materials and labour don't meter into the equation properly.

#75 10 years ago

When you buy pinball machines based entirely on 'what it's worth and how much it's going to be worth', and you're viewing an artificially inflated price as an investment, you have to accept the fact that investments don't always double and triple in price, sometimes they go down.

When you buy a pinball machine as an investment, you're doing it wrong. Pins in the home are expensive toys. Nothing more, nothing less. I have zero sympathy for anyone whose game may have lost value.

Owning a MM, AFM, MB was like being in an elite club. Now they're letting everyone in the club and that's hard to swallow sometimes.

Pinball was a strictly a social activity in this country for more than 70 years. If people feel they're no longer in an elite club, that's a good thing in my book. Pinball is a very large club.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Sorry Slate I have to disagree. Would you be happy if someone came in and said your pins are only now worth half what you paid because they all got remade No. Nobody likes to lose money.

Lets keep this in perspective... MM is the first major remake after BBB. Were looking at a year + to get going and like JJP could be delayed.

So I doubt anyones collection is going down in price anytime soon. Even the MM. The remake brought the original MM back into its REAL value. Hopefully.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Sorry Slate I have to disagree. Would you be happy if someone came in and said your pins are only now worth half what you paid because they all got remade No. Nobody likes to lose money.

Lets keep this in perspective... MM is the first major remake after BBB. Were looking at a year + to get going and like JJP could be delayed.

So I doubt anyones collection is going down in price anytime soon. Even the MM. The remake brought the original MM back into its REAL value. Hopefully.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There IS an endless supply.
    If you watched the video, they said 1000 LEs, then as many "standards" as the market will absorb afterwards.

And you can just wait to get yours as soon as they start making the standards. No point in being pushed to the back of the line by preordering and LE. Hey, it's possible. Look at the JJP model for delivering pins.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Steve

I'm waiting for the unlimited standard for $6K

#80 10 years ago

I can't help but think what will happen to the newcomers to this hobby who want to get one of these MM LEs and they are forced to pay an outrageous price from someone who was lucky enough to get one early. I see history repeating itself here.

Being a MM owner, I too bought the pin before the prices went high. I didn't know anything about the hobby back then, I just thought the pin looked cool with the exploding castle. Afterwards, I realized what a gem I had. But, I got tired of other pinheads saying " I would never own that pin", or " It's not that fun for the price", or "You just got that pin hoping to charge an outrageous price later to an unsuspecting newbie to the hobby". One pinsider even called present MM owners "cry babies" and "selfish" over this announcement and was laughing over these owners paying such a high price for these MMs before this announcement. I only found it funny when I saw all of these naysayers knocking each other down now to get these remakes that they were bashing just 24 hours before.

I love my MM and didn't sell it for a high price when I had the chance because I just LOVE this pin. I just couldn't part with it. I'm glad these pin players are finally getting the chance to own and play one, regardless of an original or remake. So, happy flipping fellow pinheads! However, it does piss me off after I learned of a possible Walking Dead pin from Stern after I placed my pre-order for ST LE. Damn you Stern, take my money!!!

#81 10 years ago

Hold your breath and good luck with that.

Steve

#82 10 years ago

Someone is making The Crying Game pin? This is getting crazy.

#83 10 years ago

Good luck with that. They are already on PPS website for presale at $8k

#84 10 years ago

8k is expensive. We are all still in the 4k range which is in our budgets. But these games were 3-4k 20 years ago also.

I do not like it but I understand the price. Its not cheap to make a large item like a pinball machine and run the company and try to make a profit.

We have to refocus on a large ticket item and buy one once a year. Were so used to buying used ones for $1000+.

I have yet to buy a new one, hopefully next year maybe a MM. But like the last remake of MM it never happened. So hopefully this happens.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

You can't just apply a gross inflation calculator at the monetary value though. Materials and labour don't meter into the equation properly.

I just like doing it.

Here is the one from the US Bureau of Labor I like to use:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

#86 10 years ago

And he swings and misses! Steerike THREE!

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

People with a gameroom full of A listers (MM, AFM, MB) are probably pretty wealthy. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but there's only one group of people who feel more "entitled" than the super poor that many people on here scoff at. And I think you know who I'm talking about...yep, the top 1%.

Jesus.

And so it continues.

Celebrating a remake is one thing, but celebrating the misfortune of others makes you look like a dumb jerk.

Yep. Pretty pathetic.

Funny that you got a bunch of thumbs down for your post too.

#88 10 years ago

troll tone'

who cares

#89 10 years ago

Lois Einhorn is a mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

crying game.jpgcrying game.jpg
    #90 10 years ago

I am still pretty new to the hobby but I understand the anger of the current owners if there value goes down but thats a hobby. Markets chang prices go up and prices go down the only thing I know is more pinball machines being made is a good thing no matter what they are. I love this hobby but what makes even better is having others to share it with aka other pin owners. More pins = More pin owners and thats a good thing.

#91 10 years ago

if your more concerned about the value of your pins over how much you enjoy playing them............YOUR DOING IT WRONG!

#92 10 years ago

Lots of speculation from the Stern fanboys who just preordered a knock-off.

HEP personally owns at least six original MMs. He's not selling!

1. They will continue to do high end restoration with MM and other titles.

2. They will also end up doing high end restoration for the knock-offs.

MM will *always* be a high dollar game to own.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Jesus.

And so it continues.

It's great that there will always be plenty that we can both agree and disagree about, Rob.

#94 10 years ago

I've gotten a lot of unfair (IMO) flak for being upset. Think about it like this... you buy ocean front property, and you pay a premium for it... You enjoy living on the ocean, and you surf regularily... Then one day, some guy gets the zoning changed and gets a building permit to build in front of your place. Well that's how it feels for me, and probably a few others.

I'm glad the hobby is getting more popular, and this move will pretty much create a ceiling for pinball machine prices. Any game that becomes worth more than 10k can be made worth less overnight. A lot of people with collections who built them up over time will lose money. Many of us are not rich folk... we're just pinheads who enjoy the hobby and worked hard to pay for high end machines. For me I feel that years of hard work earning money to purchase, then the hard work of restoring and maintaining the games have partially gone to waste.

Of course the fact that there will now be 3 pinball manufacturers instead of 1... well we know where that can go and that's a totally different subject.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Nope. They've already been going. The updated cpu board is done, artwork ready for parts orders, etc. They just announced it but it's been an ongoing project for a while. With the established manufacturer, I bet they ship by end of Q2 2014.

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Churchill Cabinet Company.
    Same company that made the playfields and cabinets for the original MM.
    It will be made in the exact same factory as it was 20 years ago.

Original MM was built at 3401 N. California Avenue in Chicago. Right behind where Ballykid is standing. Yes, the cabinets and playfields were made at the Lenc-Smith plant in Cicero but back then Chicago Gaming did not exist.

IMAG0870.jpgIMAG0870.jpg
    #97 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

In a way it does give an indication. If you have 15 originals that were going for $20K each and you add 1000 more to the availability, you'd expect a rather large price drop in the originals. I don't believe this has happened. Instead, there was a large increase in price of the remakes once they sold out. I think we'll see the same thing happen with the new MM's unless they are built real cheap and collectors can see the difference. If this turns out to be the case, a lot of the MM's might pay their way as route games.
    Steve

IPB only made something like 170 of the BBB reissue games. There are fewer than 200 BBB in existence around the world. This is very different than MM where there were something like 4k machines made originally and now there will be another 1000-2000 games aged to the mix. No one will be giving these away free, but I don't see the prices racing higher.

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from surfnrg:

I've gotten a lot of unfair (IMO) flak for being upset. Think about it like this... you buy ocean front property, and you pay a premium for it... You enjoy living on the ocean, and you surf regularily... Then one day, some guy gets the zoning changed and gets a building permit to build in front of your place. Well that's how it feels for me, and probably a few others.
    I'm glad the hobby is getting more popular, and this move will pretty much create a ceiling for pinball machine prices. Any game that becomes worth more than 10k can be made worth less overnight. A lot of people with collections who built them up over time will lose money. Many of us are not rich folk... we're just pinheads who enjoy the hobby and worked hard to pay for high end machines. For me I feel that years of hard work earning money to purchase, then the hard work of restoring and maintaining the games have partially gone to waste.
    Of course the fact that there will now be 3 pinball manufacturers instead of 1... well we know where that can go and that's a totally different subject.

Problem is MM should have never gone north of 10k in the first place. It ridiculous. It turned the hobby to a collectors market.

#99 10 years ago

MCCLAD.......You are right on target. There are people with common sense and there are foolish people who just follow trends.

#100 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Lots of speculation from the Stern fanboys who just preordered a knock-off.

HEP personally owns at least six original MMs. He's not selling!

1. They will continue to do high end restoration with MM and other titles.

2. They will also end up doing high end restoration for the knock-offs.

MM will *always* be a high dollar game to own.

Good grief dude. Are you having an anxiety attack over this?? Every thread. Most of us don't want people to lose money. That sucks. Most of us will always cherish a high end original. The restorers work will always be a valuable game as they are amazing. Its like asking a remake company to hand build you one.
    For Stern fanboys (where I fall in) we like newer technology and new in general. So I am a new customer to this unique solution and can buy a classic that actually new. No hate, no jealousy and certainly hoping my friends beautiful games hold their value mainly so they are appreciated as they should be.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-crying-game-whats-with-people-these-days/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.