(Topic ID: 66980)

The Crying Game - Whats with people these days.

By Slate

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Slate
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-849.jpg
    image.jpg
    mmgrave.jpg
    joker.png
    IMAG0870.jpg
    crying game.jpg
    77539881099c77659f89470c62710c4d.jpg
    146452972_clint-eastwood-noose-the-good-bad-ugly-photo-rare-ebay.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

I was trying to be quiet but after reading all these posts about MM and AFM and people whining because of the remake and how it affects the value of their MM, etc.
    Some said the hobby will die and they are getting out of it or will not support it.

Wow… all I can say is wow.

Popularity keeps the hobby alive and these companies making new and remakes keeps it alive. When MM and AFM prices went up to me that was the death of the hobby because #1 not only did it put these cool titles out of reach of a lot of players but also made other machines harder to come by. I know I have been finding certain machines harder to find because the hobby is more popular thus less machines since more people own them.
    So NEW production helps.

With all these companies making stuff and more people getting into it you will see

- More Expos and events
    - More availability of machines (people trading, changing out)
    - More aftermarket like Color DMD and all the others
    - More parts
    - More new machines
    - More on location
    - More publications, tourneys, etc

I think pinball is in for some exciting times in the near future and I am glad!

To the people who complain its hurting their MM value (the remake) and whine… Stop being so dam greedy and selfish!
    Many of us want to own a MM but either don’t have an absurd amount of money or were not lucky enough to get one when they were cheap.
    Now we may be able to and thus the hobby grows.

You may as well say to Ford and Chevy. Wahhh you guys suck, my 67 Camaro or Charger is in the decline because you guys came out with a remake, shame on you. That’s it Im out of the car hobby.

MM will always have its value since its original. The new one will not be Williams. So there is a give and take.

#2 10 years ago

My car is devaluing because ford keeps making more of them

#3 10 years ago

who knows, maybe they have diaper rash.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Not exactly...

#5 10 years ago

I think the original machines (in good condition) will retain their prices.

There are always buyers for mint, original items in any hobby. Be it cars, stamps, cards, guitars, anything.

They keep making Les Paul's, but an original 1959 one is worth $$$$$!

Where you may see some depreciation is on beat up MMs and AFMs. Where these have been fetching big money, expect them to drop down a bit now as potential buyers weigh up a $8000 remake instead.

rd.

#6 10 years ago

The machines aren't going to plummet in value but they will take a big hit.

Who would now buy a routed MM for $8000?

#7 10 years ago

A lot of the folks who have been collecting seem the most upset. I think some of it is that the hobby is growing and they liked being "the cool guy" with 10 pins when there are tons of people now with lots of pins and people with money coming into the hobby has to hurt their ego as well. Oh well. Focus on your own collection and appreciate other collections. I like to play pinball because it is fun

#8 10 years ago

Some people indeed keep their pins in prestine condition as collectables. They don't play it they just keep it. Good for them. Not my cup of tea. I'm in pinball to play the sh#t of my machines. They are so many better ways of making a profit without ruining a great hobby. Anyway even if they do remakes after remakes who cares. People buying a MM or AFM at $15000 are not paying that much to play it. It's the collectability they are seeking. So even if they make 4 remakes that guy still wants the first one, the original.

Take comic books. The death of Superman for instance. Everybody knew Superman would come back, he can't die. So they did I think 4 or 5 reprints, cause when it came out it was so limited and in a sealed bag with goodies. So collectors kept them in sealed and original condition but that was stupid cause nobody was opening them to read the story which is suppose to be the entire point of being into comic books collecting. So they did a second printing, finaly people got to read the story but still not enough so a third printing for kids since all the collectors bought the second print to read their sealed collectable without affecting it's value.

I hate where great hobbies are going sometimes. Don't even start me with hockey cards or as a matter of fact any sports cards collecting. When I was a kid a pack was 25 cents now in hockey card shows I son't see kids anymore, I see adults. A pack of The Cup is $500. Yes your cards are limited, have a serial number, a game worned jersey patch of the player and his autograph but that's just sad. Kids don't buy cards as we used too. It's $$$$.

Anyway just my opinion.

#9 10 years ago

This is an easy issue to figure out.

Those who invested significant money in a MM aren't particularly happy about today's announcement. I'm one of them but I've said elsewhere that I can deal with it.

Those that don't own one for whatever reason but would like to are happy to have a less expensive opportunity.

But to be called selfish and greedy because we own something that we would prefer didn't lose value is a load of BS. So get off your high horse, shut up, and order your MM.

#10 10 years ago

Ya think? Hence the smiley. Perhaps a /sarcasm tag is needed

It obviously devalues due to time and useage. Which, is why my pinball machines should devalue. Do I want that, not really, but it's a reality that people likely need to come to grips with, and quick.

#11 10 years ago

If it's a ford, it never had any real value

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Those who invested significant money in a MM aren't particularly happy about today's announcement. I'm one of them but I've said elsewhere that I can deal with it.
    Those that don't own one for whatever reason but would like to are happy to have a less expensive opportunity.
    But to be called selfish and greedy because we own something that we would prefer didn't lose value is a load of BS. So get off your high horse, shut up, and order your MM.

I think this is the best all around true comment from an owner today.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

You and I have very, very similar feelings on this issue.

I'm just going to follow you around in these MM threads and keep posting "+1".

#14 10 years ago

Ya think? Hence the smiley. Perhaps a /sarcasm tag is needed
    It obviously devalues due to time and useage. Which, is why my pinball machines should devalue. Do I want that, not really, but it's a reality that people likely need to come to grips with, and quick.

I got your sarcasm and I was joking back at your joke and forgot my smiley.

I don't agree that pins should automatically devalue. Prices of pins (except maybe for the recent Sterns because they are still in production) are supply/demand, condition, and popularity driven. The depreciation took place years ago and now its driven by the hobby factors.

Today's announcement is just an event that will effect the whole hobby pricing structure in some way that is TBD.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

No disrespect, no one likes their pins to devalue. I was posting about the ones who say there selling everything and going to live in the woods till the hobby dies because of the remake.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

No disrespect, no one likes their pins to devalue. I was posting about the ones who say there selling everything and going to live in the woods till the hobby dies because of the remake.

Probably didn't need a whole new thread about it.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Very well said. Couldn't agree with you more. I only have one TftC that took me two years to save up for. I will never be able to afford a new pin. I've been reading alot of posts where people are bashing the guys who are upset that their MM could be worth less. It doesn't matter if your a millionaire, I'd be upset too. I guarantee that if these same people's pins would lose much of their value overnight they would be upset too. I don't think it's greed at all dmesserly.
    In fact, I think these people are jealous that you can afford an MM, and I think that's what's sad. Good for you and any one else who owns a MM. I hope the price of yours goes up, just to piss off the haters.

#18 10 years ago

The Crying Game...I am in! Will it have an LE? Will it have a surprise that pops out of the coin door? Wow, my 4 dream games all in the same weekend are revealed! STLE, TWD, MMR and TCG Tranny LE.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

I got your sarcasm and I was joking back at your joke and forgot my smiley.
    I don't agree that pins should automatically devalue. Prices of pins (except maybe for the recent Sterns because they are still in production) are supply/demand, condition, and popularity driven. The depreciation took place years ago and now its driven by the hobby factors.
    Today's announcement is just an event that will effect the whole hobby pricing structure in some way that is TBD.

Haha awesome. Agreed. In the end it's PPS who wins. The used machine market is completely removed from real 'business' in most cases.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

who knows, maybe they have diaper rash.

Give them some Desten and they'll be happy.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

I was trying to be quiet but after reading all these posts about MM and AFM and people whining because of the remake and how it affects the value of their MM, etc.
    Some said the hobby will die and they are getting out of it or will not support it.
    Wow… all I can say is wow.
    Popularity keeps the hobby alive and these companies making new and remakes keeps it alive. When MM and AFM prices went up to me that was the death of the hobby because #1 not only did it put these cool titles out of reach of a lot of players but also made other machines harder to come by. I know I have been finding certain machines harder to find because the hobby is more popular thus less machines since more people own them.
    So NEW production helps.
    With all these companies making stuff and more people getting into it you will see
    - More Expos and events
    - More availability of machines (people trading, changing out)
    - More aftermarket like Color DMD and all the others
    - More parts
    - More new machines
    - More on location
    - More publications, tourneys, etc
    I think pinball is in for some exciting times in the near future and I am glad!
    To the people who complain its hurting their MM value (the remake) and whine… Stop being so dam greedy and selfish!
    Many of us want to own a MM but either don’t have an absurd amount of money or were not lucky enough to get one when they were cheap.
    Now we may be able to and thus the hobby grows.
    You may as well say to Ford and Chevy. Wahhh you guys suck, my 67 Camaro or Charger is in the decline because you guys came out with a remake, shame on you. That’s it Im out of the car hobby.
    MM will always have its value since its original. The new one will not be Williams. So there is a give and take.

Sorry Slate I have to disagree. Would you be happy if someone came in and said your pins are only now worth half what you paid because they all got remade No. Nobody likes to lose money.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You and I have very, very similar feelings on this issue.
    I'm just going to follow you around in these MM threads and keep posting "+1".

Now I agree with this statement.

#23 10 years ago

I have heard some people say they aren't ordering new sterns or Jjp bc they area saving up for the next 3 or 4 pps remakes. This could be a crushing blow to progress, possibly killing off some of the boutique manufacturers or possibly one of the big two.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I have heard some people say they aren't ordering new sterns or Jjp bc they area saving up for the next 3 or 4 pps remakes. This could be a crushing blow to progress, possibly killing off some of the boutique manufacturers or possibly one of the big two.

People say a lot of things

Then a "new shiny" comes out & they are powerless

I do think Stern & JJP have painted themselves in a corner by increasing prices on incomplete games with delays. It's almost like Stern created the demand for JJP who then disappointed many folks 3 years later causing demand for (insert everything else).

Feels almost like Blockbuster Video running off their customers to Netflix who eventually went to Redbox

#25 10 years ago

OK where's the pic of the crying kid

#26 10 years ago

What happened to BBB with it's remakes, did it stop the price from going up or did it go into a spiral because there were more games?

Steve

#27 10 years ago

.image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Nobody's arm was twisted to pay a lot of money for an original MM regardless if it was routed, CQ, OR huo. It was the buyer's choice and theirs alone to get a MM, either to play the machine, or as a possible investment. They can not blame anybody for what their machine will be worth once a remake is released. They paid the asking price knowing full well that values fluctuate. Now people are finding out that their machine might not be worth what they paid. Oh well. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

#29 10 years ago

146452972_clint-eastwood-noose-the-good-bad-ugly-photo-rare-ebay.jpg146452972_clint-eastwood-noose-the-good-bad-ugly-photo-rare-ebay.jpg

#30 10 years ago

tie that rope tight, it must hold the weight of a pig....lol

#31 10 years ago

I would not give a damn if all my machines dropped in value or if they were not worth anything. I have them for me, my family, and my friends to enjoy. Thats it. My Champion pub as it sits is probably worth 4k. Or maybe 3K. Or 3 cents. Does not matter to me because whatever its perceived or actual value does not matter to me. It will never leave my possesion. I love that and other games that I own. The only time that I will care about their value is when they I am trying to insure them. If they remade all of my machines I would not consider it losing money becase I got the machines that I wanted at the price that I was willing to pay, and played the hell out of them, and had a great time doing it. Even if their values drop, I still feel that I got a great deal for what I got. Some great games and the good times they brought with them.

#32 10 years ago

The only pinhead that deserves to have a pin appreciate in value are the ones saving them from states of disrepair and neglect. These are the collectors/hobbyists that actually put "something" into a machine to increase it's value.

People that buy up machines for resale/profit (the dirty, dirty flippers), and those that buy them at inflated prices deserve whatever negative price adjustment they get.

I do have to thank these greedy buggers though. It was only a matter of time until your greasy behavior attracted the attention of real business enterprise. I hope this MM remake is a smashing success. I'd love these guys to start targeting any machine that is getting sold above a certain threshold.

#33 10 years ago

What's up with people kicking people when they just got nut punched?

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Sorry Slate I have to disagree. Would you be happy if someone came in and said your pins are only now worth half what you paid because they all got remade No. Nobody likes to lose money.

I would love it if my pins were suddenly worth half of what they are now. That would mean my buying power has doubled for my next game!

I sincerely hope no one has truly bought into pinball machines as an investment. No one wants to see an expensive item suddenly lose half its value, but like any collectible item that's a real risk. This remake is 100% a good thing. I'm sure it will put some downward pressure on some of the stratospheric pricing, but it is unlikely to cause the high end original games to tumble in value. This will definitely keep pricing on the routed/unrestored games down though.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

What happened to BBB with it's remakes, did it stop the price from going up or did it go into a spiral because there were more games?
    Steve

Not a good case study for the MM remake. I think there were only 12 or 15 'original' BBB games. Capcom closed before production actually started. Even with the remake this game is still extremely rare.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

This will definitely keep pricing on the routed/unrestored games down though.

This is exactly what the hobby needs. We need more machines of this state in the hands of people that aren't just trying to make a buck off of some dandy with deep pockets.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Agreed. I didn't buy a MM for prestige nor as an investment but because of the game play and theme. But i'm disappointed in paying more than I needed to based on this re-make; and now the fact I will unlikely get what I have into it should I ever decide to trade/sell. On the otherhand, I'm now out of the market for a CC and should they re-make one I'll be getting it at a far lower price than I would have otherwise paid.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmods:

The machines aren't going to plummet in value but they will take a big hit.
    Who would now buy a routed MM for $8000?

BINGO! Most used prices will come down, as people now weigh whether to put their money towards "X" used game they were considering or the new MM. Maybe games like AFM and MB get a little bump....but if this MM things takes off, you don't think the other A listers are next!?

This is AWESOME for the hobby. The availability of NIB games with proven rules and charm FORCES Stern to put forth their BEST effort. We know they can do it. No more mailing in incomplete and BS rules sets. No more lazy designs. No more crappy art packages. The world is watching! Come correct or don't bother!!

This is fantastic for the hobby!

#39 10 years ago

This is AWSOME!

#40 10 years ago

Good one.

#41 10 years ago

In a way it does give an indication. If you have 15 originals that were going for $20K each and you add 1000 more to the availability, you'd expect a rather large price drop in the originals. I don't believe this has happened. Instead, there was a large increase in price of the remakes once they sold out. I think we'll see the same thing happen with the new MM's unless they are built real cheap and collectors can see the difference. If this turns out to be the case, a lot of the MM's might pay their way as route games.

Steve

Quoted from jgreene:

Not a good case study for the MM remake. I think there were only 12 or 15 'original' BBB games. Capcom closed before production actually started. Even with the remake this game is still extremely rare.

#42 10 years ago

Fill me in please. Who's making these remakes? Williams quality components and feel? Maybe remakes so bad that originals actually continue to rise in value? But I would be in favor of more people being able to afford an afm or mm in their home. Sorry if 'investors' are negatively affected by this.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Wah. Then the makers of games should make desirable games.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Give them some Desten and they'll be happy.

Thats a great idea. Anyone with diaper rash let me know I will send you a tube on the house.

#45 10 years ago

People with a gameroom full of A listers (MM, AFM, MB) are probably pretty wealthy. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but there's only one group of people who feel more "entitled" than the super poor that many people on here scoff at. And I think you know who I'm talking about...yep, the top 1%.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Wah. Then the makers of games should make desirable games.

I agree. I hope the wah wasn't directed towards me because I don't give two squirts about stern or Jjp's survival given the price points they sell games at.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

People with a gameroom full of A listers (MM, AFM, MB) are probably pretty wealthy. I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but there's only one group of people who feel more "entitled" than the super poor that many people on here scoff at. And I think you know who I'm talking about...yep, the top 1%.

Wow.

For the record, I'm unemployed, own two of those three games. Not independently wealthy, either.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

The Crying Game...I am in! Will it have an LE? Will it have a surprise that pops out of the coin door? Wow, my 4 dream games all in the same weekend are revealed! STLE, TWD, MMR and TCG Tranny LE.

Help me out here. WTH is Tranny LE? Count me out.

#49 10 years ago

The reaction was completely expected. 100's of pinball addicts who love the games and love the good games like Medieval Madness. A reproduction is finally being offered from a reputable source after years of promises. Heads are in the SKY! Who wouldn't be?

Are those of us with nice, clean restored originals going to take the proposed "punch in the stomach"? Certainly not.

Will over priced routed beat games that people buy because they have no choice take a hit. I would hope so. That correction is overdue but was a result of supply and demand.

Several people have pointed out an analogy in the classic car industry. I agree.

Some people own an original Ford AC Cobra. There aren't many and they are expensive.
    Over the years, newer companies have been able to build replica Cobras that look like a Cobra, drive like a Cobra, and feel like a Cobra. But they are NOT an original Cobra. The original Cobra still and will always hold their high value.

The new release of Medieval Madness will hopefully be a great game. The look, feel and (hopefully) play of the original. But it will NEVER be the same as an original.

- Don

#50 10 years ago

By the way, this this thread sure is attracting a lot of jealous haters. Celebrating a remake is one thing, but celebrating the misfortune of others makes you look like a dumb jerk.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-crying-game-whats-with-people-these-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.