Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Deez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

am I alone in thinking that I would gladly give up this immediate gratification (amazon prime, usps priority, etc...) and take on an additional one, two (or even three) day delay if my parcels could arrive in something that could be considered as it doesn't look like it was "run over, tossed about, crushed on a conveyor belt, thrown, kicked, stepped on, etc..."

I've been wondering exactly how much shipping companies as well as the companies shipping the products are losing from claims due to damage and negligence incurred during shipping (barring the fact that usps has become notorious for not honoring insurance claims to items damaged while in their possession)

part of the problem is that in this "time sensitive" world that we've been accustomed to, companies aren't allowing their employees to take that much needed time to adequately package items. I've received heavy hardcover books along with delicate electronics tossed into an oversized box with virtually no air pillows, wadded paper or bubble wrap to keep the items stable during shipping. about 90% of the time, this has resulted in first edition hardcover books arriving with a broken spine or dog-eared corners or the more delicate items crushed beyond recognition from the weight of the other items they were packaged with.

the latest incident was a nice hanging guitar stand from fender. originally retailing at $250, it was on sale for $59 during their "days of summer". it arrived with a fedex sticker simply affixed to the outside of the retail package (not over-boxed in something non-descript for shipping) and it was quite obvious that it had been flipped end over end more than a few times. the fact that the oak base (which is approximately 2.5' x 2' wide and about 1" thick) wasn't captured in the inner box (or blocked in with styrofoam or cardboard wedges), allowed it to move freely explains why the end near the box end was completely crushed and chipped.

I'm guess I'm just "getting old" and harken back to the days where people didn't stress out because you didn't call them back 30 seconds after they left you a message

#2 4 years ago

you get what you pay for

#3 4 years ago

I just gratified myself a couple minutes ago....no complaints..........

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the days where people didn't stress out because you didn't call them back 30 seconds after they left you a message

I hear you. Good luck getting someone to pick up when you reply to their text with a phone call. They'll probably think you're a weirdo. Many have an aversion to phone calls now.

#5 4 years ago

I’ve worked for the BIG “Parcel” service for 25 years now...you wouldn’t believe the shit that goes on in there....it’s just as you described everyday...stepped on,kicked,caught in conveyer,”package surf” (yep,it’s a thing) down the roller line...and much more shenanigans...I watched it get worse over the years...problem is it’s a minimum wage job now...when I started in 95...we made double min wage ($8 hr)...so we took a little more pride in our work...other problem is ALL the supervisors are retired..and 20 year olds are running it now...(yes all the old timer soups who actually gave a shit retired about the same time)...anybody ever try to get a 20 year old to do anything these days...GOOD LUCK...yes there are a FEW...but VERY few...so take as long as you want to get it shipped...it’s still just a numbers game if your package makes it thru the “Accordion Factory”...!!!..........Joey

#6 4 years ago

I ordered an $800 appliance dolly a couple yrs ago. It was shipped fedex. It arrived no crate, no box, not even wax paper wrapped. It was completely bare except for a beat to death shipping label. Not only that it looked like they actually used my dolly to load the damn truck! $800 and it was scratched to hell. Wtf.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I hear you. Good luck getting someone to pick up when you reply to their text with a phone call. They'll probably think you're a weirdo. Many have an aversion to phone calls now.

That's because 99% of phone calls can be solved in quick text and move on. Phone calls usually turn into super long endeavors filled with useless banter.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've been wondering exactly how much shipping companies as well as the companies shipping the products are losing from claims due to damage and negligence incurred during shipping

95% of the loss is falling back on the companies shipping the products, if you're talking about LTL freight. LTL freight companies seem to delight in finding ways to deny fault even when it's clearly their fault.

If you are receiving a product shipped by LTL freight, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do the people you are buying from a HUGE solid and write a big DAMAGED before signing. Don't believe the driver if he tells you it's nothing to worry about. Take pictures and send them IMMEDIATELY to your vendor.

1 month later
    #9 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you get what you pay for

Not always in pinball.

5,4,3,2,none....

#10 4 years ago

j_m_, please watch the two-part "Unfulfilled" episode of South Park from last season.

#11 4 years ago

Immediate gratification is largely the reason worldwide prisons are overflowing!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Immediate gratification is largely the reason worldwide prisons are overflowing!

Is it? Or is it the fact that they have been privatized? And can somehow turn a profit

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

That's because 99% of phone calls can be solved in quick text and move on. Phone calls usually turn into super long endeavors filled with useless banter.

Sounds like a forum I know of...

#14 4 years ago

I FOUGHT with UPS last year over a $700 playfield that was in a wooden crate that they somehow lost, I mean they LOST it, never to be seen again. Took me over four months to get my insurance money out of them and SCREAMING to them on the phone, fax emails (which cost me $20 every time I that I had to do it) and of course they would "lose" that paperwork or give me the excuse that " we'll sir, if two faxes come in at the same time then yours might get "bumped" and we never receive it". I told her, "then you better get more then one fax machine!!".
    Yeah, UPS SUCKS and I'll never use them again, ever!!

John

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

immediate gratification

Look at the world around you and there you have your results.

#16 4 years ago

I saw a meme the other day:

Every time a person orders something from Amazon with next day delivery it triggers a Rube Goldberg machine of human suffering.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cost-of-immediate-gratification?hl=twoheartedmale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.