(Topic ID: 263874)

The Coronavirus Pinball Market: How Bad is it Now?

By Jason_Jehosaphat

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 4 years ago

If you routinely browse the Classifieds “Splash” here, you’ll have noticed a serious surge in sale pins in the last two weeks. No surprise there. Whether you’re taking a bath in the stock market or anticipating a legit’ recession thanks to the COVID-19 crisis, being defensive with your investing and/or asset allocation is suddenly not just prudent but perhaps critical. For too many collectors, having big collections is now hard to justify and selling one or two of them off seems like an easy way to raise some cash. But is it? If everyone else is doing it, creating a glut in the market, who’s going to buy these games? The same people who are now spooked and bent on *not* spending their money? Even if these games were fire-sale priced, would they be selling? I’m not so sure. I could site numerous examples of games mystifyingly priced in the stratosphere. What are sellers thinking? And no, I’m not lobbying on behalf of buyers, hoping to exploit the crisis and trigger a sell-off. I have a game of my own for sale and, naturally, I would rather not lose my shirt selling it. I would, however, like to see games sold – which, any economist will point out, can only happen if either supply doesn’t exceed demand or if prices come down, and yet with few exceptions the games landing on Pinside for sale are priced to match last month’s market, not today’s. Let’s use my own game as an example: HUO, low-plays, minty TWD Premium. It’s been on the market here for two months. After two price drops, it now sits at $5.75K, with nary a nibble. In this market, it will probably need to reach $5.6K before anyone takes a hard look at it. Ditto: all the other games in the classifieds right now. Peel off 20% of last month’s value and *maybe* buyers will notice your game. I’ve been trying to trade my game, rather than lose big selling it for cash, but it’s striking how rare an attractive trade offer will come over when you announce you’re open to trades. I’ve had two cash offers, both for $5.2K. Two months ago an offer like would have been embarrassing. Today, with this saturated market, it may be the best I’ll do. Say hello to COVID-19!

#20 4 years ago

Again, in brief this time:
    With all these sale pins pouring onto the Classifieds here, why does the pricing resolutely ignore the market glut?
    Wanna sell your pin?
    Join the club!
    Oh, but if you actually want to sell, be prepared to ask substantially less than you could have just a month ago.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-coronavirus-pinball-market-how-bad-is-it-now?tu=Jason_Jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.