Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,550 posts
  • 721 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4658 (resized).jpeg
    ff24 (resized).jpg
    twister-478-x-282-gif-6ciqtms8ubq7hz74.gif
    IMG_5810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5819 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5832 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5831 (resized).jpeg
    442475043dec51f5c5b1c352c6afdd37.gif
    IMG_20240405_120516353 (resized).jpg
    punkinlarry (resized).jpg
    punkinsac1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
    20240218_090024[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    punkinchest1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

681 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

I keep RFM mostly because it's the perfect size for where it is (in front of a doorway).
    When I suck at pinball for several days in a row, I start moving my outlane posts in.
    I put stronger coils in LOTR because I'm not very good at hitting the ring, Legolas or Aragorn.

#6 10 years ago

When I sell a game, I never tell the buyer why I don't like it anymore. Let them figure it out for themselves.

[EDIT: of course, I do point out issues with my specific example. But I'm not going to tell the buyer that Buzz and Bud give me nightmares.]

#13 10 years ago

My teenage son frequently beats me, and he doesn't even like pinball.

I once used the Tag system to make a funny.

#41 10 years ago

I once bought a game on my wife's birthday, then had to explain that it was just a freak coincidence that it showed up for sale at that time.

I have a box full of little toys that I bought for my LOTR.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from johnf:

I got a few:
    I sold a real nice wh2o two years ago for 2.5k because I didn't like the music.

Oh man, I did the exact same thing. The music was OK but the audio quality bugged me.

#74 10 years ago

When I played Congo and RFM in the wild ('95 and '99), my first thought was "So is THIS what pinball has become? No thanks!" Now I own and enjoy both of them.

I really enjoyed playing IJ4 at PAPA.

#159 10 years ago

I'm originally from Wisconsin.

#188 10 years ago

I'm out of room and I have 5 games in storage, but I still check the ads every day on the Bash and CL. Actually a couple times a day.

I'm in a meeting right now pretending that I'm listening and understanding.

I tell myself that I'll open an arcade bar when I retire from the rat race, but I know at least 20 easier ways to make money. I just tell myself that to justify the hoarding.

#260 10 years ago

I think a new pin is worth X dollars. People who pay more than X are nuts, and people who won't pay X are cheap.

#316 10 years ago

I sold my Centaur with a CPR playfield and plastics, and bought a CSI with the money.

I like playing CSI more than LOTR.

I searched for CSI action figures once.

#322 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

I am often tempted to point out grammar usage mistakes in posts, like there/their/they're and you're/your, but I don't.

Oh hell yes.

#331 10 years ago

I've already started thinking about how many more pins I can set up when my son goes off to college. He's 14.

#353 10 years ago

Pinball gave me gout. I drink a beer to reward myself for a good game, console myself for a bad game, reward myself for a difficult repair, or help me through a playfield swap.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

"Beer - The cause of and solution to all problems."

#374 10 years ago

Starting this thread was the only thing I accomplished this week.

1 week later
    #396 10 years ago

I used the term "Avatard" before I bought it. Now I use that word to describe people like me who love the game more than we should, like short-bus happy! I'm an Avatard!

1 week later
    #423 10 years ago

I had an endoscopy today and I enjoyed the Michael Jackson drugs so much (Propofol), I didn't go back to work.

9 months later
    #433 9 years ago

I sometimes bump my old threads.
    I think Mustang is more fun than Star Trek.
    I think the Raven translite chick is hot (the original, not the alternate).

1 month later
    #451 9 years ago

I've overflowed my storage unit and workshop, and stored EMs under my other pins, and I STILL look for new pins to buy.

#466 9 years ago

I use my electric toothbrush to clean my playfield posts.

Just kidding, that would be gross. I use my wife's electric toothbrush.

#470 9 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I've bought a few machines this summer that I've found at decent prices and told my wife I would sell them in the winter because I could make a few bucks. I don't plan on selling any of them. In fact, I hope to buy more this winter.

Now that's what I call "pinitration".

#478 9 years ago

Jeff, I'll be right over to help with the clutter. BTW, thanks for the Fathom!

#500 9 years ago

Similar to Mike's story, I once went to buy a Whitewater for $1600. Instead I bought the Congo next to it for $1400, because it was in nicer condition. It was my first DMD.

I've sold all of the games I drove more than 500 miles for (Centaur, No Fear).

I bought a nice TZ for $1800, had it for about 3 months, and then sold it because I thought it had too many moving parts and was too much trouble to maintain. My niece still hasn't forgiven me. I still haven't forgiven myself.

#516 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

As soon as I see a topic with the "locked" icon and new posts or even if I've never read any of the posts, I immediately open it. I'm so weak .___.
    Needless to say the last 2 weeks, I've read a lot of threads.

Right, and as soon as you come up with a brilliant response you remember: oh yeah, it's locked.

1 week later
    #528 9 years ago

I just wasted 45 minutes of my life reading about a Space Invaders playfield parts transaction gone wrong. And it happened last year.

1 week later
    #541 9 years ago
    Quoted from mtripl:

My first album was the partridge family ( first album )...nothing to do w pinball..jus sayin

That was one of my first albums too, a Christmas gift from my grandma. At least it wasn't a sweater!

#552 9 years ago

I bought this game last night to "save" it, but I'm thinking about putting it in storage for 5 years instead:

Trident..JPGTrident..JPG
    3 months later
    #554 9 years ago

Bump, for my 2014 confessions:

I left JM sitting in my workshop for the entire year.
    I bought 8 pins even though I was already out of room.
    I moved 3 games into my wife's section of the basement.
    I stopped bicycling to spend more time working on games (and gained 15 pounds).

#563 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I just installed the service rails on my Tron Pro. Yes, that is the Zen roll-over.. KB

Cut the wire!

#566 9 years ago

My side-cutters look just like that - same reason.

1 month later
    #581 9 years ago

I bought 3 great classic pins a few weeks ago - Andromeda, Lightning and Magic - and they went straight to my storage unit. My plan is to bring them into the gameroom one-by-one, as I get other games ready and folded up for SFGE (BK, Space Station).

I'm only about 8 hours away from finishing my WW playfield swap, but I can't stand to look at it right now because somewhere the GI sockets are being driven by the coil voltage. Instead of working on that, I've been binge-watching documentaries.

7 months later
    #700 8 years ago

When my work t-shirts get old, I cut out the crusty yellow armpits and toss the rest of the t-shirt in a box in my shop, because "hey, free playfield rag".

4 weeks later
    #717 8 years ago

I read Australian pinsiders' posts in an Australian accent (in my head). As a result, they all sound like the guy in Champion Pub.

#724 8 years ago

I bought 3 pins today, and I'm taking the coward's way out - I'll tell my wife about it over a nice dinner.

3-pin-day.jpg3-pin-day.jpg

#727 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Fill us in on how it went breaking the news to her of your good fortune to be able to acquire 3 more awesome pinball machines.

It went fine - I just went through the math, and explained how selling CSI and NASCAR paid for them (with $100 left over). Of course I didn't mention that Shadow will be getting a ColorDMD, or that Skateball needed new plastics, or that I'm on the list for a new Medusa playfield.

1 month later
    #767 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Been there. Done that. Proud of it. I'm just giving back to nature.

About 12 years ago, when our dog was still alive, our son pooped in the back yard (he was 5). Of course I scolded him and told him to go clean it up. But he took too long and when he went back, it was gone. I'll just let that sink in.

#779 8 years ago

I'm bored and full and I want to go home now. But I can't, so I'm catching up on the JM Owners' Club thread (while everyone watches this football game). About a year behind on JM...

#785 8 years ago

I bought a gray-market WOZ and spent the $250 I saved on beer.

#787 8 years ago

^^^ could have been a selling point, for the right buyer.

1 week later
    #799 8 years ago

I drank a bit too much tonight and I fell in love with everybody. I'm gonna miss you all when I'm gone, but especially my best friends (counting) all 9 of you.

#800 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I drank a bit too much tonight and I fell in love with everybody. I'm gonna miss you all when I'm gone, but especially my best friends (counting) all 9 of you.

59, if I include my online friends (1 eye closed) - you guys count just as much. For reals.

4 months later
    #862 7 years ago

I bought myself a GOTLE for Mother's Day. Have not bought Mother's Day gift yet.

#869 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I bought myself a GOTLE for Mother's Day. Have not bought Mother's Day gift yet.

I told my wife it's "Mother of Dragons" day. Good thing she has a sense of humor.

2 weeks later
    #878 7 years ago

I like it when a shot to the left orbit goes into the pops on my GOTLE.

1 week later
    #913 7 years ago

How about this? Wizard mode is lit and ready to start, extra ball is lit, and 2 balls are locked with lock lit? I choke whenever that kind of thing happens.

1 year later
    #1288 5 years ago

I bought all 7 seasons of The Pinball Arcade for the iPad, because I travel a lot. That’s bad enough, but not the worst. I was sitting on the plane next to a really tall skinny guy last night. I was playing Xenon, and this gentleman got out a tiny little bible and held it right up to his face because he forgot his reading glasses, just like I always do. When I excused myself to pee, he just scowled at me as he unfolded his long limbs and got out of my way. I tried to be friendly, but he never spoke a word to me. And I actually thought for a moment, “Am I going to hell?” before I shook off the feeling.

#1290 5 years ago

You are forgiven, brother! Factory settings are your penance, you can blow it up again the next time you’re here.

#1294 5 years ago

That almost qualifies as a confession - I would never admit feeling that way. It’s like this guy I worked with who asked me once: “why do you need more than one game, aren’t they all pretty much the same, 2 flippers and a ball?” Which is like asking “Why do you look at girls, aren’t they all pretty much the same?”

#1307 5 years ago

I don’t see the confession there, unless it’s “I can’t appreciate that any pin is better than no pin”. Plus Rogo has that awesome Dave Christianson art. Vikings!

#1310 5 years ago

I’m having beer, ice cream and thin mints after my wife gave me a healthy dinner of grilled fish, steamed broccoli and mashed cauliflower.

#1316 5 years ago

^^^ Ooh, this is a good one. I still do this, and even bend the sockets back to reach the bulb. Playing with fire!

#1319 5 years ago

I leave our Christmas tree up until around Valentines Day, but I get freaked out if I don’t set my games back up right after a show. I’m out of town for 2 weeks and it’s driving me nuts knowing that 5 of my pins are folded up while I’m gone.

1 month later
    #1345 5 years ago

I came in 776th place in Pinburgh last year (out of 799). There was no where to go but up in 2018, so I was happy to land in group D. Remember Arlo Guthrie talking about “group D” in Alice’s Restaurant? Couldn’t get that outa my head.

#1348 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I was inactive for the last year because I find the pinball community a mix of some of the best people out there and some of the most toxic.

Sorry to hear that. Toxic online, or in person? I find it pretty easy to ignore people online if I need to. The good people and posts greatly outweigh the bad for me.

1 month later
    #1398 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

My games are all 5 ball games with in lanes tight and tilt bobs removed. I also don't know the rules to my games and refuse to read. Because I enjoy playing and discovering and have sold games before ever discovering what magical things they have to give.

Five Hail Ritchies (for the FIVE balls), and sin no more. I do respect the “play to discover” ethic, though. I’ve been known to read rulesheets several times before buying a pin. That’s a bigger sin, sucks the joy right out of it.

1 month later
    #1412 5 years ago

I’ve been on a business trip for 3 weeks, and the pin I miss the most is Laser Cue.

#1414 5 years ago

I read locked threads just because they’ve been locked. I almost always regret it, but sometimes they end in really funny ways.

7 months later
    #1493 4 years ago

I’m rebuilding our deck myself, not just to save $10k but to rationalize buying any game(s) I want in 2020. I call this pinball penance. Also if this project kills me I hope Blitzburgh99 won’t drain my RIP thread. That would make me dead AND sad.
    B3AE7F5D-211E-4BED-970E-836E1DDD5B87 (resized).jpegB3AE7F5D-211E-4BED-970E-836E1DDD5B87 (resized).jpegE142BEA1-2AB5-4103-9874-62CA1A40D959 (resized).jpegE142BEA1-2AB5-4103-9874-62CA1A40D959 (resized).jpeg

#1499 4 years ago

Munsters Pro is my favorite pin at the moment. Guilty pleasure, or a sleeper pin like Congo was?

2 months later
    #1567 4 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

I sold off my entire collection over the last month. I don't know if I'm sad or relived.

If you came out even or ahead, congrats. You can always get back in later. There are a lot of different ways to enjoy pinball, owning games is just one.

#1571 4 years ago

I love all the new Sterns but after Pinburgh, what I want most is an EM with a spinner. It’s like having an Atari vector collection without Asteroids...life is incomplete!

#1591 4 years ago

I scan the “fresh ads” on the Pinside market every day, in this order:

- check locations, ignore pins
    - check pins, ignore location

When I’m finished with this daily ritual I’m always relieved not to see anything I “need”.

1 week later
    #1604 4 years ago

I’m checking my IFPA page every day waiting for Pinburgh ‘19 results to lift me out of the 4000’s.

3 weeks later
    #1618 4 years ago

I’m too lazy to pick up a knife if I can cut it with my fork.

1 week later
    #1631 4 years ago

When I put leftovers from lunch in the refrigerator at work, I never come back for them.

2 weeks later
    #1654 4 years ago

I just finished my 2018 taxes. Master procrastinator.

3 weeks later
    #1684 4 years ago

I still read the toy catalogs that come in the mail. My only son turns 21 in a few weeks.

1 month later
    #1874 4 years ago

Over the holidays I cleaned the basement and found a box of pinball stuff from Marco - lots of white rubber, coil stops, etc. Some of it was stuff I was about to order again because that little box was hiding under a pile of other crap.

On the storage unit thing...yeah, we’ve spent at least $5k on our 10x20. I’ve got about 10 pins there now, mostly old Ballys that I’ve restored (I cycle them in and out of the basement). I also want to open a location when I turn 60 and “retire”. But I’ll do the math: $150/month, about 50 months to retirement...that’s $7500. Not too smart. I need to give this some serious thought.

1 week later
    #1894 4 years ago

Last week was the end of 2019, but I partied like it was 1999.

1 month later
    #1936 4 years ago

Hey guys, the confessional worked! It took a few months, but after a few pin sales and pin loans, I moved into a much cheaper 10x10 unit today - $61 a month. It’ll save me about $1000 this year alone. I still don’t like putting down $$ to store pins, but at least it’s a step in the right direction.

Quoted from swampfire:

On the storage unit thing...yeah, we’ve spent at least $5k on our 10x20. I’ve got about 10 pins there now, mostly old Ballys that I’ve restored (I cycle them in and out of the basement). I also want to open a location when I turn 60 and “retire”. But I’ll do the math: $150/month, about 50 months to retirement...that’s $7500. Not too smart. I need to give this some serious thought.

#1943 4 years ago

Damn, now I want some tats. I’d do it right, some kind of optical illusion that looks like a lizard is crawling outa my arm. A cat on my belly with my bellybutton for the cat’s asshole, but REALLY well done.

1 week later
    #1963 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

On my last beer of the night and ending with Life's Been Good To Me So Far by Joe Walsh.

I’ve been listening to “Left Coast 70’s” on SomaFM a lot lately, and they play a lot of Joe Walsh deep cuts. Love me some Joe Walsh.

#1965 4 years ago

What’s JohnnyPinball007 drinking tonight? May as well drink those spirits, they don’t have enough alcohol to make hand sanitizer.

You got me thinking of one of my regrets. When I was 17, I worked the skate counter at a rink with about 6 pins. They were spread apart and it was dark there, so my girlfriend and I would go between the pins to kiss. She was not quite 15, but she was the best kisser I ever knew. She kissed with her whole body, made me feel like the center of the universe. But my friends teased me about our age difference, so I broke it off. 4 years later I came home from college and saw her as I was pulling into a parking spot. Now 19, she was stunning, beautiful, like a supermodel. I rolled down my window and opened my mouth to say hi, but her look shut me down. It was pure scorn and hurt. She turned and walked away in the other direction.

And to keep it on-topic, I confess that even thinking of those memories makes me feel like a dirty old man. Time to check out the Pinside Classifieds.

1 week later
    #1995 4 years ago

I’ll wash my hands for 30 seconds in hot water after shaking hands with someone, but peeing at home? That gets a quick half-assed 5 second rinse-down.

#1999 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why does someone downvote shit that's true?

Ha, that’s greenhornet - he has a hardon for me for some reason, downvotes every one of my posts. It doesn’t bother me.

#2000 4 years ago

I confess that I got greedy and bought Delta stock about a week after Warren Buffet, and I lost 50% of my money, but I’m still happy because I put a new GC on my Space Station tonight (8M).

#2021 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

My second pin will be an EM. I’m holding out for a Gottlieb because.... I like the chimes.

Do it. I have way too many pins, but the one I play 2-3 times a day without fail is my Abra Ca Dabra.

#2023 4 years ago

Here’s my confession: I’ve had this beauty in storage since the 2018 SFGE, so about 20 months. She’s joining her sisters on “evil women row”:

01D58BD0-590D-422F-8C34-506FF8CC568D (resized).jpeg01D58BD0-590D-422F-8C34-506FF8CC568D (resized).jpeg6446B64B-EC0E-4B94-B2E3-9BDB8B4D55C6 (resized).jpeg6446B64B-EC0E-4B94-B2E3-9BDB8B4D55C6 (resized).jpeg
    #2024 4 years ago

Follow-up confession: this is my home office, and I allowed crap to pile up on Fathom and Medusa. I’m going to fix that tonight.

#2041 4 years ago

I was on a work conference call today and I was the only one who muted my video, and it’s because I still had crazy hair from not taking a shower. I almost grabbed a baseball cap but I decided they didn’t deserve to see me anyway.

#2045 4 years ago

I dropped one of these (an opaque projector) down a flight of stairs in 5th grade, and went from being the teacher’s favorite to “anybody but not that kid”. When you’re 10 you don’t know that you can’t take a big metal cart down the stairs by yourself, and you’re eager to please the adults. You’re rehearsing your “look what I did” speech even as you’re totally fucking up.

D05F3638-1E6F-4FDD-A71E-5B7C8E361921 (resized).jpegD05F3638-1E6F-4FDD-A71E-5B7C8E361921 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2093 4 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

I confess, I hate the term "Netflix and chill"

Yep, I prefer “Criterion and angst”. My wife won’t ever watch anything with me - while I’m watching some 70’s dystopian sci-fi movie or indie flick downstairs, she’s watching the Hallmark Channel upstairs. Married life!

#2105 4 years ago

I wonder if little kids still look up “fart” in the dictionary together and giggle like maniacs.

1 week later
    #2145 4 years ago

After being super cautious about germs for the past 3 weeks, I held a flashlight in my mouth to do some playfield soldering today.

#2155 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

i confess i blow right by your long-winded "confessions" when I skim through here.

“Brevity is the soul of wit” - some guy in Hamlet

#2161 4 years ago

Woo Aerosmith! I just played mine, I’ll never not love it

#2172 4 years ago

I confess that while I have never wore any makeup,

Natty Light confessions...

#2178 4 years ago

You were close. 20 (14).

They aren’t “Light” anymore if you drink 14 of them Johnny

1 week later
    #2208 3 years ago

I had my best game ever on Abra Ca Dabra, 165k, but it was right after restarting the previous game on ball 2.

The only Control Room mode I play now on my Stern Jurassic Park is “Virus Attack”.

#2210 3 years ago

Lately, every night I dream I’m in a big office building.

#2215 3 years ago

Hooray for being 56 and not giving a shit. I’ll join your club.

#2221 3 years ago

Gunnut40 this is the guilt thread; you want the Pinside bitch thread.

#2241 3 years ago

I can see a little rust on the ball in my Abra Ca Dabra, but I keep procrastinating replacing it because I lost the key and I’ll have to drill the lock. It’s always “tomorrow I’ll do it”.

#2244 3 years ago

I’m planning to order keyless “locks” from Marco for all of my EM and SS pins. There’s really no good reason for a keyed lock on an older game.

#2256 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I never liked Nirvana, and still don’t.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

#2263 3 years ago

Whenever I mow the lawn, I think to myself: “Mowing the Lawn, Mowing the Lawn!” like this

2DA85D78-7C61-43B5-B442-EE86FC228D88 (resized).jpeg2DA85D78-7C61-43B5-B442-EE86FC228D88 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2277 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Agreed. This used to be one of my favorite threads. Not any more...

Yeah, we need to get back to pinball confessions. I’ve veered off topic too much myself.

#2281 3 years ago

I’ve sold both Avatar and Iron Man, and I miss Avatar more. Mostly because I sold it too fast. No, I don’t want another Avatar.

#2286 3 years ago

I posted stuff in the Coronavirus thread to see how far I could push the moderation boundary. I got kicked off today and I feel very relieved.

Ah well, it is the Serious section. I know we disagree sometimes online, but if you’re ever in Atlanta give me a shout and let me invite you over for beers and pinball. Just don’t tell me you hate older pins, that’s fighting words.

#2290 3 years ago

Sounds great! Thanks for the invite .. as for “older” pins, will this little pride and joy put me in good steed with you....?
    [quoted image]

Great restoration! I need to “adopt” a pin older than me from Craigslist one of these days. They pop up from time to time.

#2300 3 years ago

I’d rather change 3 diapers than swap out targets in a Bally drop target bank. Those damned E-clips!

#2315 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I beat Iron Maiden with my finger

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

#2321 3 years ago

I wouldn’t mind a weekly update from JohnnyPinball007 and I hope we didn’t push him out.

Here’s my non-pinball confession. About a hundred years go I was living in a 1-bathroom shotgun apartment with my roommate. I was sitting in the dark in the “living room” drinking wine with my headphones on, and her girlfriend walked out of their bedroom completely stark naked, and brushed her teeth with the bathroom door wide open. Before I could even process what was happening, she saw me and deftly closed the door with one foot. She came out in a towel and gave me a little scowl-smile. I promise that this facial expression really exists, and that’s the only time I ever saw it. Anyway, I finished the bottle and didn’t think of it again until tonight for some reason.

1 month later
    #2379 3 years ago

If your marriage and wallet can stand it, I highly recommend the “rotation” approach. My Metallica has been at my son’s apartment for 6 months, and I’m excited about bringing it back home next weekend. I’ve also got a 10x10 storage unit for project pins, but as I’ve finished projects it’s more and more just overflow space. I try to rotate in a different solid state pin every 4-6 months.

3 weeks later
    #2395 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Confession;
    Just now filling the 5 person spa for the first time since i bought it new nearly 6 months ago.

Oh man, I want one of those.

My confession: I wore the same pair of shorts for 7 days and finally wore something new this morning. I’m only wearing shorts/pants because my mom lives with us, and I don’t want her to think she can start hanging out in her underwear.

3 weeks later
    #2489 3 years ago

And I may start another rant thread eventually, I just gave too much info that time.

“that time”

#2503 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

I confess I hate that people use abbreviations for game names. Just write the damn name of the game. Your already writing a description about it or some other long winded post. What’s another few letters?

GTFOOHWTS

1 week later
    #2603 3 years ago

Simple pinball confession: I play my 3 EMs way more than the rest of my pins lately.

#2606 3 years ago

Your collection page shows 4 EMs....what are the 3 you are playing?

Abra Ca Dabra, C37 and OXO. Quick Draw is in storage waiting for a new playfield - hopefully my winter project.

#2612 3 years ago

I can’t really tell the difference between a Merlot, a Cabernet, a red Zin or a Pinot Noir. Yeah, they all taste better than the Manischewitz I bought at the convenience store for our double date when I was 16. But I’d much rather be 16 again, kissing in the back seat and drinking that swill.

#2655 3 years ago

I confess that my 10x10 storage unit is full, my basement is full, I have one pin on location, another pin loaned out to a friend, and I’m leaving in an hour to pick up a Jungle Queen. And my wife is actually coming with me this time (a first)!!

3 weeks later
    #2783 3 years ago

I have 0 complaints there!
    I just have to deal with best chemical for ceiling stain type of questions.

Wow, Congratulations, I can’t even hit the ceiling light.

#2800 3 years ago

Lloyd reminded me of a funny story. We took our 7-year-old nephew to church with us (back when we were doing that), and introduced him to our pastor, nicest guy you’ll ever meet. Pastor Tom says: “Dusty, are you going to heaven?” The kid shakes his head and says “NOPE”. Pastor Tom says “Why not?” and Dusty says: “‘Cause I’m not gonna die!”

1 month later
    #2899 3 years ago

I’ve been home alone with my 4 cats for about a week and I’m so bored I’ve started giving them titles. The yellow cat is the King, little tabby is the Sheriff. Fat black cat is “reincarnated Elvis”.

3 weeks later
    #2947 3 years ago

Confessing that hearing “Werewolves of London” and “Lawyers, Guns & Money” on my turntable is making me pretty happy right now. I’m missing ya Warren Zevon (‘47-‘03), RIP.

#2955 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I confess that I open handed rage plunged on my Stars after getting my ass handed to me for the 90th game in a row and was unaware of this guy. I also confess that it hurt like a bitch and was deserved.
    [quoted image]

It’s not called a beehive for nothing.

3 months later
    #3420 3 years ago

Now I want to go to Australia just to meet Punkin and RotorDave. Adding that to my bucket list.

“Mast debating”, lol

#3422 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Dave is in new Zealand. But if you are coming this far then i'll go over with you to see him.

F* yeah, road trip! With a bit of boating.

#3427 3 years ago

Today I used a small pinball rubber to hack a fix to a toilet handle (inside the tank), worked great. I love how home repair and pin repair skills are transferable. Dumb but durable mechanical hacks are my favorite.

1 week later
    #3433 3 years ago

I confess that I’m worried that JohnnyPinball007 hasn’t posted here yet (post-outage).

#3457 3 years ago

I confess that when I own a Stern Pro, it pisses me off to see a new Pinside Club created just for the Premium and LE versions. But I’ll also confess that I visit the GOT Pre/LE club thread more than I visit “GOT Kicks Ass”. So I guess I’m a hypocrite.

#3459 3 years ago

I’ve kind of made my peace with the Pro/Premium differences. I’d say on about half of Stern’s pins I feel like the Pro has enough going on to keep me happy, and the other half I’d have to get the Premium to not feel cheated out of something really cool. Of course the Pro/Premium arguments are the new “incandescent vs. LED”, opinions are really strong.

I’ve got the LE version of GOT and the Pro JP, and I know that conventional Pinside wisdom says I got that backwards. But I’m really happy with both of them.

#3472 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I'm consideting selling all my games and collecting only toppers.

Toppers are to pins what NFTs are to money.

#3478 2 years ago

Not pinball-related, but all of our 4 cats have the middle name “Otis”, because they’re mostly useless and they sleep in a comfy jail cell every night.

(My wife says no, they’re named after Otis Redding, but I like my explanation better)

#3480 2 years ago

punkin are you a cat? kidding

#3482 2 years ago

I just looked up “focus ball” on YouTube, seems like a great thing, simple like a jump rope and a good workout.

1 week later
    #3508 2 years ago

I’ve been rewatching Stranger Things, and in Season 3, I see Robin in her Scoops Ahoy outfit and I point at the screen and go “her! she’s the one I should have married!”. Smart, funny, low key.

#3510 2 years ago

JohnnyPinball007 you reminded me of something.

When I was a young pup working at the Burger King near Stone Mountain, we used to finish closing around 1:30am on weekends. It was lousy, dirty work but our manager would reward us with a case of beer when we were done (we were all 15-18). After drinking and throwing our bottles off the roof into the woods, we were all too drunk to drive. So we’d drive 1/4 mile to an all-night diner called “JP’s Steak & Eggs”. It was just like a Waffle House, but the owner was the cook, and he always had one pinball machine. The two I remember most were Black Knight and Rolling Stones. Now just picture us, half drunk and rolling these games over with our brown 100% polyester uniforms. I think the owner got a kick out of us.

One night, I was playing Rolling Stones and this car slammed into my ‘72 Ford Gran Torino, which remains my favorite car ever. He peeled off with his girlfriend, and the owner called the cops for us. 10 minutes later the cops show up, and the guy comes back! He’s stoned out of his gourd, and he tells the cop “my girl says I might have hit something, so I came back”. I’ll never ever forget the guy’s name: Tom Funk. So the cop does his job, and I get the writeup with the cop’s name and Tom Funk’s insurance details.

The next day, I tell my mom all about this, and here’s the punchline: she was a psychiatric nurse for Gwinnett county, and both the cop AND Tom Funk were her patients. Mr. Funk because he was nuts, and the cop because he was depressed over his divorce. Long story short, his insurance company gave me $1200 for damage to a car I’d only paid $800 for. For a 16-year-old kid, this was like hitting the lottery. I really loved that car though.

(P.S. for those who might judge me, in 1980, driving drunk on a deserted highway for 1/4 mile was pretty mild behavior. But I know now how bad that was)

#3517 2 years ago

I confess that I was groggy at 7am today when my wife asked me to drive her to the ER for severe back pain (she did something bad to it while hauling bags of mulch). But sitting in the car for 3 hours gave me time to start reading the Stranger Things club thread, pages 1-20. I love horror-themed pins, and I confess that I hope Stern eventually runs out of Marvel themes so they’ll do more games like TWD and STH. Or something cool like the Sandman comic series, or anything published by Vertigo (like The Walking Dead!)

I confess that I was disappointed that Heavy Metal was released as a re-skin of the Star Wars home game, but I still want to play it and I hope one shows up on location.

#3520 2 years ago

Note to self: don’t mess with LTG or The Jesus (TBL reference).

I confess that I spent 5 hours with Pinball Browser today while the weather was perfect, and I didn’t get a single “like” about bookmarking 200+ songs and callouts for Stranger Things, but my time is going to come. Or even if I make the perfect mix for me, and it only ever lives on my game, I’m okay with that.

#3535 2 years ago

I confess that I don’t miss any of my games after I sell them, even the really good ones. I just sold my 40th game (over 20 years), a nice Stern JP. The new owner got CHAOS multiball on his first game, so I know he’s going to love it. For me, Stranger Things has moved into JP’s spot. Sometimes change just for the sake of change is a good thing.

#3539 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I confess I have never sold a game.
    Lately I've been thinking about doing a shopjob of my first, Pharaoh, and offering it up for trade.
    However, when I started cleaning it up(and it was in a really good shape before), it brought back good memories from when I bought it. So it stays.

I still find it hard to sell games, so I have a system now. I’ll temp-trade the game or put it on location for 4-6 months. When it comes back to my gameroom, my reaction is either “wow, I really missed this!”, or “you again?” If I don’t love the game when it comes back, I know it’s time to sell it. I just surprised myself by keeping AS and selling JP. But you have to go with your heart, not your head.

#3546 2 years ago

I confess that I love a good pinball company trainwreck thread, especially when the principal comes out early swinging at the rest of the industry. After the deeproot thread dies, it’ll be like getting to the end of a Netflix series. I’ll have a small empty spot in my heart until the next fiasco comes along.

#3552 2 years ago

punkin that guy just stole the plot from this episode of Black Mirror, it’s science fiction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up_and_Dance_(Black_Mirror)

#3554 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

, considering the specificity of the videos you like to watch, (you perfectly know what I mean)

“Oh yeah give me some, cut me a piece”

#3559 2 years ago

The best defense against ransomware is to back up your computer every night. If they encrypt the disk, you can just re-image it. I’m always amazed that these larger companies get caught with their pants down (no backups to fall back on).

#3564 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

One of my earliest school memories, when i was 5 or 6, was when we nominated a kid each day to do the sunny boy run at lunch.

All I remember from 1st grade is that a girl offered to give me her dessert if I let her take a peek. I’m a fool for pie so I went for that deal, and we both got caught. That was my first “the penis is not a toy” lecture, so I put it away for 7 years until I realized that actually, the penis is a GREAT toy.

#3565 2 years ago

I’m sitting here with no power, drinking beer, so I’m about to go full JohnnyPinball on you guys.

I remember in 8th grade, this kid transferred in from NY and he was kind of crazy. He hung out with our little gang of losers in the bathroom during breaks, and he’d sketch very detailed pics of the female anatomy that I didn’t believe were real until years later, when I found out he was right. Anyway this kid, “Mike Paul” because I’ll never forget him, comes to school one day and says he has a bomb. He shows us a black box with on LED on it, and he says, you have to follow me if you don’t want to get blown up. Incredibly, we all followed him into the woods, “just in case”. He did a dramatic countdown and flipped a toggle switch on the box. Nothing happened. He laughed at us, saying “you should see your faces!”. I think I may have shared this story here before, apologies if I did.

That same year I fell deeply in love with a beautiful blonde girl named Judy. I figured that I had no chances with her if she saw me eating lunch with my friends, so I sat at the table behind hers, by myself, staring at her like a creep. Mike Paul sees this happening, and he writes a fake love letter from me with graphic descriptions of what I’d like to do with her. She didn’t believe me when I said I didn’t write the note. In spite of all that, she invited me out one night to go to “Alpha”, a Christian encounter rock music kind of thing. There came a time when they asked us all to give our lives to Jesus, and Judy started bawling. Black mascara ran down her cheeks, and the puppy love magic spell was broken forever.

#3567 2 years ago

Still no power, but I have my iPad tethered to my iPhone.

~1981 I worked at a skating rink in Snellville called “Bojangles”. I only had to hand the skates out and take them back at the end of the session, best job in the world. The owner loved us, would bring beer for everyone when we closed on Saturday night. The manager was a cokehead who tolerated us all pretty well. There were anti-drug posters on the wall, lol. We had a decent little arcade with Frogger, Donkey Kong and Zaxxon, plus 4-5 pins. They had a tradition where on your birthday, everyone would wrestle you to the ground and the girls would spray-paint your ass blue with a rattle can. I had a hot date on my birthday, but it was ruined because I was itching like crazy. She didn’t think the tradition was funny.

One night after work, the owner threw a big party with vodka, and fortified wine. He kinda looked like Gary Stern, now that I think about it. Within a few hours, the place was littered with passed out teenagers. I woke up in the back of a U-Haul truck that someone abandoned there, probably the worst hangover of my life. There’s more to say about that night, but I’ll save it for another time.

Power is back! So I can finally get back to getting the games ready for league night.

#3579 2 years ago

JohnnyPinball007 my friends and I ran from the cops once when I was about 16. We bought a couple gross of bottle rockets and were having bottle rocket wars in a clearing near a new subdivision. We got bored with that and noticed that the builders had left a fire going on a pile of waste. We were kids so of course we poked the fire and fed it more, and pretty soon it got out of hand. Someone had already called the cops on us for the bottle rockets, so they were there right about the time the fire started moving across the field. We ran like hell, and watch them put out the fire(s) from where we were hiding behind a hill. Then they came after us, so we ran all the way to my friend’s house. I got in my car and drove home with my heart racing. Probably the most adrenaline I’ve ever had, short of a panic attack.

#3592 2 years ago

I confess that I cosplayed Eleven from Stranger Things to make our first league night in over a year a very memorable one. And as my friend said, I looked more like Nixon than Eleven, but I made a lot of people happy and that was the point.

13E62E04-ADE5-40F8-86FE-BC77C0A4D3A5 (resized).jpeg13E62E04-ADE5-40F8-86FE-BC77C0A4D3A5 (resized).jpegFD029A7C-EB1A-4159-B138-1F429636796F (resized).jpegFD029A7C-EB1A-4159-B138-1F429636796F (resized).jpeg
    #3598 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Confess that i have no idea what you said and all i see is a man in a dress. No idea what an evan or a cosplay is and no intention of googling that shit.

If you don’t know what cosplay is, you’re missing out. Just Google “slave leia cosplay”, you’re welcome.

#3610 2 years ago

Ummmmm.....????[quoted image]

They were doing Dennis Nordman and Leia at the same time??

#3615 2 years ago

I confess I wish I had a nickel for every word that I have posted here.
    Natty just makes we want to type.

“We tried bright lights and everything, he won’t talk and he said he wants his lawyer.”
    “bring on...the Natty”

#3622 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

If a thread I'm following has 75 or more new replies I'll often just give up, even if I like the thread. I'm really trying to keep up with the GnR thread, I come close to giving up almost every day. I'm skimming through the posts so quickly I don't know why I'm even bothering. It would be helpful if there was a code update only thread, or a playfield issue only thread, or game techniques, etc.

I was thinking about this today. The problem with club threads is that if you don’t care about mods or bling or when the toppers ship, you’re gonna be doing a lot of scrolling. I’m sure the Pinside scientists will solve this for us some day.

#3634 2 years ago

I confess that I pimped out my Congo for a temp trade, for a Walking Dead Pro. And I was happy to read just now that TWD is @johnnypinball007’s go-to game. I’m looking forward to giving this game some love.

#3645 2 years ago

I confess that I find it oddly reassuring when Pinsiders use the same profile pic, year after year. On the flip side, I get disoriented by people who change their avatar constantly. And I confess that my smoking kid misses Odin’s smoking dog.

#3662 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Confess this is what i think about when i see most 'mod' posts.

Deadpool seems to be one of the worst for it.

I really wish there were a few subcategories for the game clubs, especially the ones that end up with 10k posts. Offhand I’d say we need:
    - gameplay (rules, tips, mechanical tweaks, brags)
    - problems (i.e. troubleshooting)
    - mods (make the game more expensive)
    - general (everything else)

#3673 2 years ago
    Quoted from weeze:

I confess that when I retired alcohol became a real problem. I was a heavy drinker all my life and come from a family that had several alcoholics in it. I learned how to drink and function very well and became a "functioning alcoholic".
    12 years ago I got up one morning and decided I wasn't going to drink that day. I havent touched any alcohol since that day. All my friends know this and believe it or not it is possible to live life without a 12 pack and your friends will not think of you as being any "smaller" of a person for abstaining from alcohol.
    One small remark tho: If you think you might be a alcoholic then you are. Do something about it today, not tomorrow. One day at a time .
    First time Ive ever said this publicly and if feels good. Thank you my friends!

I confess that I’ve been a practicing (professional) alcoholic since I was 16, and I’ve been very successful by most measures since then, Still, this post is really sticking with me. I had 5 completely sober years from 25-30, and I even picked up a 5-year chip. I really don’t know where to go from here. I love the beer and wine, and I know that I’m on borrowed time. But aren’t we all?

#3675 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Nobody get's out alive.

Valar morghulis, my friend. All men must die.

#3681 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallLocks:

I confess... The power button on modern Stern games make me feel really fat every time I lean over to turn the game off, and my gut hits the lockdown bar button starting a game as I reach for the switch...

Yep, that’s the first thing I disable on a new Stern.

#3683 2 years ago

Guardians’ layout, rules and theme are all good to me. But I sold it after 6 months, when someone offered to buy it for what I had in it. The Rocket shot and the audio made it “not-a-keeper” for me, but I still think it’s a solid Stern.

#3703 2 years ago

, I have noticed a lot of regulars have not posted in a long time, or at least I have not seen them.
    I hope all is well with everyone.

I’ve been suffering from what I think is diverticulitis since Friday, sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. It’s better every day, so I’m giving it until this Friday to go away completely. I’m eating nothing but soft foods and vegetable juice, and that’s working pretty well.

I know this pain could be pointing to something more serious, but I’m due for another colonoscopy, so I’m just going to schedule that and talk to the gut doctor about it when I see him. They say every 10 years, but my 50-year old brother was diagnosed with colon cancer on his first c-scope, so I’m not waiting until I turn 60 to get it done again.

And I confess that I post more and more like JohnnyPinball every time I come back here.

#3713 2 years ago

JohnnyPinball007 I have a Walking Dead Pro on loan from a friend (temp trade for Congo), and I’m surprised that you love TWD, but find Elvira hard. For me it’s the exact opposite. My TWD games are mostly under 5 minutes, but I can play Elvira (on location) long enough to get bored with it.

I’m getting better at TWD, and sometimes I can get around 100M. But most games are around 20M.

#3720 2 years ago

I got through a week without alcohol! I pretty much had to, due to the diverticulitis. I’m about 95% better now, but I’m going to wait until I’m 100% before I indulge again. I’ve been substituting ice cream for beer, and I still lost a few pounds this week.

I do have a pinball confession. I only need about 4 hours to finish the playfield swap on my Mata Hari, but I’ve been ignoring it for months. I think Sunday might be the day, finally.

#3722 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Jees. I can go without beer just fine when i'm in hospital, but would not do it by choice.

I just assumed that Australian hospitals had Fosters.

#3754 2 years ago

A glitch in the matrix EJS !

#3759 2 years ago

Confess that sometimes I am one of those southern "hold my beer and watch this" dudes, so I probably should just stay away from go carts, dirt bikes, and even golf carts.

Just keep them off the roof and away from lakes.

#3761 2 years ago

Congrats on the new Stranger Things Pro, Jeff. The UV kit and shaker are indeed a “must have”, but I skipped the topper and mods on mine. Great game.

#3764 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Question for STh Owners and Heavy Players.

Lots and lots of discussion about this on the STH Club thread, check it out. I replaced my spacers with washers to lower my DG just a little, and it’s 100% now from a left flipper cradle.

#3792 2 years ago

A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."
    But you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think I would like another kick in the nuts."

That’s seriously funny! I confess that I would rather be kicked in the nuts than raise another child.

#3795 2 years ago

I confess that I don’t get:
    - flipper toppers
    - leg lights
    - hinge decals
    - custom floor mats
    It’s getting to a point where every square inch of a game is covered with “art”. I’m coming around on game blades, especially the Stern blades that are done by the same art team, they usually look great. I confess that I’m glad nobody is doing lockbar and leg wraps yet, but you know it’s coming.

#3817 2 years ago

The little railroad town I live in here was named Duluth because the tracks started in Duluth MN. But it’s a much smaller place, and we don’t have a Dick Bong airport.

8EF1559A-9610-458E-ABD0-77450684F1A6 (resized).jpeg8EF1559A-9610-458E-ABD0-77450684F1A6 (resized).jpeg
    #3821 2 years ago

What’s the bravest thing you ever did? I bought an OXO on Mother’s Day once, about 18 years ago. My wife’s friend was in town visiting her, and they were ignoring me, so of course I was browsing the Pinball Classified ads. I took my son when I picked up the game, so we did give them some time alone, which I think was all she wanted for Mother’s Day anyway.

#3835 2 years ago

I confess that after finishing 10 days on Metronidazole (antibiotic), this Deschutes “Fresh Squeezed IPA” tastes awesome. I was supposed to wait 3 more days, but heck that. I’ll just start slow.

#3854 2 years ago

I confess that I do this almost every time I buy a pin. The amount of stuff usually matches how long I plan to keep it.

C048C370-A2BF-4C49-B14E-D889242A0E14 (resized).jpegC048C370-A2BF-4C49-B14E-D889242A0E14 (resized).jpeg
    #3857 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Confess that i've never stuck a Barbie or GI Joe on a playfield.

Those are way too big. I like these kits, because they’re tiny and realistic. I do have some principles though - don’t block the view of the ball, and don’t cover the whole playfield with them.

#3876 2 years ago

I never knew snakes could smile. My son has a ball python at his apartment. I confess that I’d love to have a terrarium full of big fuzzy friendly spiders. But it’s a complete non-starter for my wife. Sometimes I bring things like this up just before I tell her I’m getting another pin, then she’s relieved it’s just a pin.

#3880 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Devious or Genius? I confess I think it’s Genius!

Same strategy used to work with taxidermy. “Look at this fox, it’s only $300! Isn’t it beautiful?”

#3890 2 years ago

You think that’s bad, I’ve got the IRS on my ass and I’ll go to jail if I don’t press “1” and talk to the nice Indian guy.

#3913 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Freeze it. Snap it with a hammer.
    LTG : )

I saw this without context, and I flinched a little.

#3928 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I confess, I’m jealous of some of the big collections out there make me unbelievably jealous! Happy for them but some look as though it is a 1980’s arcade! I’m waiting to find one with the 1980’s arcade carpets!

I still want to do this. I have a little 80’s room with a blacklight, and a 3’x8’ scrap of blacklight carpet. I just have 3 pins and 2 vids in it. Some day I’d like to have a bigger place with 20 solid state and EM pins. Ideally, selling beer so that I can make a little money. That’s why I rarely sell my older games now. I hope I get to live long enough to make it happen.

#3930 2 years ago

The thing I remember most about those 70’s EMs when I was a kid was the bold fluorescent colors. And the score reels, of course. I just had a great game on Jungle Queen, 157k. I confess that I feel sorry for anyone who can’t enjoy playing a well-tuned EM.

#3939 2 years ago

I confess that I was thinking about my first serious girlfriend last night, and I thought about a story ya’ll might enjoy.

When I was about 21 I worked at IBM as a co-op student, living in Charlotte. I met this cute redhead, and to make a long story short, she moved in with me a week after she turned 18. Now, this was no normal girl. She said she was a reincarnated Druid, and she prayed to the moon a lot (my sister called her “moon puppy”). She was in a coven, but she said they were all “good witches and warlocks”. Now you might ask yourself, why didn’t I run away from this relationship? Well, I was 21, and our nights were full of sex and wine. She also had a thing for public parks after dark. Good times.

Anyway, one weekend she asks if her friends can come over to our apartment. I say “sure”, and pretty soon I have about a dozen of her coven in my apartment, mostly girls between 17 and 19, and a couple of guys. They all brought their own beer and wine, and I started to worry about the heavy hand of the law coming down on me. So when my girlfriend said “Hey, let’s all go swimming”, I was kind of relieved. Then it happened. Once we all got down to the pool, they all stripped naked and jumped in. I was far too freaked out to enjoy it. “PUT YOUR SWIMSUITS ON!” …. “WE DIDN’T BRING ANY!”. I got out of the pool and waited in the apartment, thinking the police might come at any moment. Never happened. They had a great time without me. I sulked on the back porch alone when they came back to the apartment.

I’d like to say I’d do it differently if I had it to do over again, but who am I kidding? I’m a cautious man.

#3941 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Ever in a cemetery ?

No, but I still feel guilty when I see monkey bars or a jungle gym.

#3957 2 years ago

I confess that I enjoyed floating in the intercoastal waterway this afternoon, while slowly getting hammered on hard seltzer.

And I confess that when I look at the pics from this afternoon, I see my father’s face, not my own. But I know that getting old beats the alternative.

#3969 2 years ago

I confess that my new-to-me Walking Dead Pro is getting way more plays than my also-new-to-me Stranger Things Pro. I try not to pass judgement on a game until I’ve had it for over a year, but right now TWD is the gameroom champ.

I also confess that I cut my own hair, but only when I’ve enough beers to say “f* it, it’ll grow back if I do it wrong”. And it’s not even the money that makes me do it myself, I just hate having to make the appointment and sit in a chair for 30 minutes. It’s just hair! My Wahl clippers have paid for themselves 10 ten times over.

#3977 2 years ago

There are some diehard folks still posting on RGP. That’s commitment! I left RGP about the same time CrazyLevi did.

#3983 2 years ago

I confess that I always have a browser tab open for Mr. Pinball, and I refresh it every couple of days because some people still haven’t gotten the memo about pinflation.

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/data/machines_for_sale_recent.html

#4015 2 years ago

I confess that I checked out a few of those hot tub feeds on Twitch, and they totally messed up my Twitch channel recommendations. Still, I just have to laugh at this next-level Idiocracy - we’re way overdue for a sequel!!

And I confess that I’m happy this thread hasn’t been moved to the basement yet. But if it did, I hope the regulars would follow it down there.

C37671DF-19DF-496F-AC08-1B3F476A3E4E (resized).jpegC37671DF-19DF-496F-AC08-1B3F476A3E4E (resized).jpeg

597EBFB3-38A4-4ACF-8326-4B56CE545037 (resized).jpeg597EBFB3-38A4-4ACF-8326-4B56CE545037 (resized).jpeg

#4025 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ll also confess the title of this thread reminds me of one event where (I think it was) Steve Ritchie dressed up as a priest and sitting inside a Stern carton taking peoples confessions. Was that at an Expo or TPF or something?

I remember that. I’m pretty sure it was at Texas Pinball Festival, and it was awesome. I love that show.

#4032 2 years ago

I’m rebuilding our 14-year-old dryer, as part of my justification for buying Stranger Things. It’s a lot like doing a playfield swap - take pictures and notes, clean everything thoroughly, fix broken stuff and put it back together. The heater had gone bad and 2 of the 4 drum rollers were locked up with hair and lint.

The idea of a perfectly good appliance going to a landfill bothers me more than the money I’d have to spend for a new one. And what’s worse is that you can’t get this color anymore, so my wife would want us to replace the washer too, and the 2 pedestals, and pretty soon we’re looking at $2500-3000.

I confess that I’m not going say “I confess” any more, but I will try to include some pinball confessions here from time to time.

670ADC6E-EB94-4EA7-B0AC-6EC3B0B3A09D (resized).jpeg670ADC6E-EB94-4EA7-B0AC-6EC3B0B3A09D (resized).jpeg

You should have seen the “before” pic. We’re lucky this thing didn’t catch fire, with all the lint that was built up in it.

#4058 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

We used to wag whole days at school by getting marked off at morning assy and then a bunch of us would crawl under one of the class buildings and spend all day taking drugs, smoking cigs and kissing girls.

So that’s where they were - I never thought to look for the girls UNDER the building.

#4059 2 years ago

Confess I have to keep this short

#4065 2 years ago

My karaoke go-to song is Brandy, by Looking Glass.

#4070 2 years ago

Confess that I had a great lesson in loving my enemy when I was pretty young.

In 7th grade, I was a nerd who made straight A’s, and I was learning to play guitar. There was a bigger kid who used to grab me in bathroom and beat me up.

Some 4-5 years later, I was playing guitar well enough to go play at old folks homes, YMCA karate meets and the like. I went to a place called Rainbow Village, for developmentally disabled adults. There was my old enemy Keith, sitting cross-legged with all the others. We recognized each other right away, and I froze. But then he smiled at me. I played, and everything was okay. It’s only now, reflecting back on all this, that I think he must have seen me as an enemy in 7th grade because of something I said or did, or just how I made him feel. 5 years on, we had both found the place we were supposed to be. But I was still a danged nerd, and that hasn’t changed. I didn’t really find my “home” until Pinside came around.

#4101 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I sometimes triple thick old dirt into my back glasses. To me it’s better than risking pulling up the art before clearing. Besides I rather scrape the windows than mask them off, again, otherwise risking art removal.
    [quoted image]

Nice, a pinball confession! Yeah, I’ve learned the hard way that cleaning anything over 40 years old is a risky proposition. It’s better to just let it be sometimes (like you did here). Cleaning score reels is also super risky.

#4136 2 years ago

Confess that while I was sitting here watching season 10 of The Walking Dead, I picked my nose and put it in a mostly-empty beer can (because I’m real comfortable here in my home theater chair). Then 20 minutes later, I picked up the can, shook it and heard there was a little beer left, so I threw back that last swig. Gonna have to come up with a new system.

Confess that it didn’t even rattle me because some things in TWD season 10 are WAY more messed up than swallowing a booger.

#4165 2 years ago

Oh heck yeah, we’re talking about colonoscopies? I’m going in for my second one on Wednesday (first one was 7 years ago). My younger brother was diagnosed with colon cancer at 50, and had to have part of his colon removed. I don’t want that, but I’m planning to live for another 30 years, so whatever it takes. I’m not looking forward to the fasting and the prep, but I’m definitely looking forward to the anesthesia drugs.

#4166 2 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Unfortunately I got the stage 4 colon cancer at 40 before the recommendation.

I didn’t want to upvote this. I hope you recovered and you’re doing okay. I know it can be life-changing.

#4169 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:I confess cancer for me is a matter of when, not if, especially with my family history. Get yourself checked early and often.

I have a young female doctor now, and she’s great, but she doesn’t check my prostate or testicles, and I’m afraid to ask. I think I need to find an old male doctor for this next phase of my life. Someone who makes bad jokes while he’s checking my nuts for lumps.

#4170 2 years ago

More of an arcade confession, but it fits here.

I’ve been cleaning out all my storage this week, trying to un-hoard stuff. Today I found a spare Tempest board, which I’m pretty sure was my old broken one. My first impulse was to chuck it into the trash, after harvesting all the chips. Instead I decided to put it in my game to see what was working. Nothing worked, so I pulled it back out and put the original good board back in. Now, it didn’t work. I checked my AR2 board in my Gravitar - it was good. Did some more checking and figured out that something blew out an op-amp or transistor in the 6100 monitor. So now I have that repair to look forward to.

All because I thought my old Tempest board might be worth $50 to somebody.

D0AC22CD-5A97-43AA-968D-39DED07571B2 (resized).jpegD0AC22CD-5A97-43AA-968D-39DED07571B2 (resized).jpeg
    #4180 2 years ago

I confess that when I came out of anesthesia for my colonoscopy an hour ago, I said “I’m Rick Grimes, I need to see my people”. Then…”oh, wait, sorry, I’m not him”.

Doctor says I’m good for at least another 7 years.

#4185 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

So hey, like....I live in Canada 'n shit and i've had maple syrup like twice or thrice in my life on my pancakes and shit, So i confess that people got us all wrong and stuff.

My kid gets maple syrup for Christmas every year because he loves it. We aren’t allowed to touch it, lol. Corn-syrup syrup is nasty, so I put orange marmalade on my waffles and pancakes.

#4186 2 years ago

Here’s an arcade confession. It took me way too long to realize how I’d borked my good Tempest board - it’s fixed now. Anybody else see the problem here?

2ABB9552-646D-4669-B58C-11C06FD0B9F3 (resized).jpeg2ABB9552-646D-4669-B58C-11C06FD0B9F3 (resized).jpeg
    #4190 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Two 119's and no 118

Yep. I borrowed the 118 to test my other board, that didn’t have one. When I returned it, I pulled the wrong one.

#4210 2 years ago

I confess that I thought today was Aug 1, so I drove all the way to Blue Ridge GA for a pinball tournament a day early. I looked in the window at the long row of dark pins and realized my mistake. My wife is mad at me for getting her up at 7am, lol. She usually sleeps till 11.

#4219 2 years ago

I missed qualifying in a tournament yesterday because I went out of turn, after having a few beers. I walked up to Harley Davidson and hit the start button a bunch of times, not realizing it was a 6-player game. That flustered me enough that on ball 2, I plunged player 4’s ball thinking it was time to drain out players 5 and 6 again.

But I confess that I don’t mind, because it was great just playing in a Pinburgh-style tournament again. Kudos to Vertigo Pinball for a well-run tournament.

#4223 2 years ago

I have actually been trying to eat more healthy. The diverticulitis stuff sucks though, so I have to be careful.

I’ve had 2 diverticulitis attacks recently, 2 months apart, and they both started the same way: drinking. I only drink beer and wine, but there seems to be a threshold where the attacks kick in. I had 5 beers and 1 hard cider on Sunday because I had a ride home from a pinball tournament. I was in agony the next day.

So I’m back on antibiotics, which means no drinking at all for a while.

#4231 2 years ago

I have no clue what you consumed, but I really doubt anything in liquid form caused your pains.

Greasy fish and chips (fries), 5 beers and 1 hard cider. And a sausage biscuit for breakfast (BTW, I don’t usually eat this poorly). I’ve been avoiding anything that’s small and hard to digest. There are some nice blackberries rotting away in our fridge, I just can’t chance it.

#4232 2 years ago

It is sad how many people get so offended these days, and have no adult sense of humor at all.

I never get offended, unless something is at the expense of a particular group (ethnic groups, LGBT, etc). I never report anything to mods, but I find it sad that people still think these are funny. Now, adult humor related to sex - I like all of that. My friend and I used to sit and read just the comics in his brother’s Playboy stack when we were 12. The thing about sex and gender jokes is, there’s a line that gets crossed sometimes, that makes something mean instead of funny. It just takes a little common sense to know where that line is.

#4235 2 years ago

I had to fast for a day and a half last week, and near the end I had a strong sense of calm and well-being. The hunger that had eaten at me all day subsided. Of course, the drugs I had to take to clean out my colon ruined that good feeling. I may try it again soon (without the drugs).

#4242 2 years ago

these days with so much PC stuff

Just remember that the P is for “political”. The phrase “politically correct” was invented to gin up outrage and votes, and as something for people to hide behind when they wish they could say whatever comes into their head. But people can say whatever you want around me. If they’re wrong or just being an asshole, I have no problem letting them know. Free speech goes both ways.

I do like that politics aren’t allowed on Pinside and on the job. I don’t need to know which asshole someone voted for.

#4243 2 years ago

I want someone to make a LittleJohnny action figure where you pull the string and it says one of these 2 things.

#4249 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I don’t care who judges me, Gran Torino is a cinematic masterpiece.

And an automotive masterpiece.

#4250 2 years ago

I confess that I’ve been ignoring the Olympics while my wife watches, but the beach volleyball tonight got my attention. I’m rooting for Australia right now.

#4256 2 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Why? Just wondering.

I wasn’t paying enough attention to the audio and didn’t realize the other team was US, lol. Then about 15 minutes after I posted this, the US won the gold! Very nice.

I wonder who has more and better beaches - US or Australia? Now that’s a fun topic.

#4259 2 years ago

A lot of people are just nuts anymore. Bat shit crazy.

I confess I was curious about where this phrase came from, and thanks to Google I found the answer pretty fast:

http://www.psmueller.com/batshit.htm

The text is kinda small so I’ll copypaste it here:

“Since I first published this cartoon around 25 years ago, I have received more correspondence about it than anything I have done before or since. I guess it struck a chord. As far as I knew at the time or know now, the phrase "Full Blown Batshit Crazy" just sort of fell out of my head and appears to have entered some part of the language. I seem to have the dimmest memory of a guy I knew in my early teens uttering the word "Batshit" on the school bus and nearly killing me with it. I could have it all tangled up with another guy or made it up myself, but it certainly sounds like something Birdy would have said.
    Birdy was definitely the first human to introduce me to the term "Hauling Ass." That I remember clearly.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy, or re-enjoy my little drawing.”

#4273 2 years ago

And as far as Jason at Classic, the game I paid for in advance was the Big Buck Hunter arcade.

I forgot that Jason sells arcade games too. The BBH he has listed now is almost $11k - I assume that’s not the one you got (that’s a lifetime supply of Natty).

I confess that it makes me sad to see multicades with LCD screens in them. I spent all weekend working on 2 CRT monitors. A local guy fixed the monitor chassis for my Area51 Site 4, but when I reinstalled it I bent one of the pins on tube without realizing it, so it didn’t work, just made scary wheezing sounds. I pulled the monitor out and drove to Dallas GA, and he saw the problem and fixed it in less than 5 minutes.

I spent the rest of the weekend fixing and tweaking my Tempest monitor. I decided to replace the chassis transistor sockets, and I somehow swapped the wires on half of them. It took a lot of troubleshooting and swapping to figure out my mistake. But rebuilding the high voltage section really did improve the picture, so all the hassle was worth it. I’m also feeling more confident about working on 6100 monitors now. This one needs some purity and convergence adjustments, but I’m afraid to go down that deep rabbit hole.

#4305 2 years ago

These stories remind me of a few of my own.

When I was in my 20’s, my brother and I drove up together from Atlanta to Milwaukee to visit my aunt. On our last night there, we drank pretty heavily at my aunt’s favorite pub, and an older woman kept buying me beers. She said she was a welder. She was upset when we left because she thought I was going home with her - I feel bad now. Anyway, my brother wakes me up at 3am, about an hour after we got home, and says “come on, we’re leaving now”. I said “the hell we are, I’m still drunk and I haven’t even slept yet.” After a short fight, he left without me. So I got a plane home and got back to our house in Atlanta before he did.

Had a roommate who told me he took this girl out to dinner, and before the food even came she told him about her father’s sexual abuse. He went to the bathroom, crawled out the window and drove home. I felt bad for the woman, but knowing my roommate pretty well, she was better off with that result.

#4322 2 years ago

I would totally debate anyone that climate change is NOT man made, it has to do with whatever the Sun has going on at the time.

I don’t fault people for their beliefs, but it’s not really debatable.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/2/2019/06/SR15_Full_Report_High_Res.pdf

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-scientists-think-100-of-global-warming-is-due-to-humans

#4329 2 years ago

Confess I don’t get what “butt hurt” means. My colon hurts a lot, sometimes my back, but usually my butt just does its thing cushioning my pelvis. I did fall out of a tree once when I was climbing it, landed on my tailbone - that was real butt hurt. One time my dad was standing on a 3-legged stool and it went sideways on him and he landed right on one of the legs, ripped right through his shorts and underwear. That’s real butt hurt - he went to the hospital for that.

#4332 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

From too much butter to butt hurt, gotta love the confessional.

Butter hurt gets you right in the coronary arteries.

#4334 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I confess I’m starting to love pins that most pinsiders call barren .

No kidding. LZ Pro used to be a “guilty pleasure” to me, but now it’s just a pleasure.

#4344 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Needlessly offended over nothing.

I guess I’d need to see the “nothing” to understand. I’ve never been offended by anything, but I sure don’t mind speaking up when people are being jerks.

#4347 2 years ago

Worse case of actual butt hurt for me was eating Chicken Vindaloo at an Indian restaurant. To make matters worse, I told them to make it hot - I love spicy food. Delicious going in, but man that was painful the next day.

#4383 2 years ago

Every year, I rent a 6x12 U-Haul trailer to take 4-5 pins to SFGE. I confess that when I went to pick it up last Thursday, I was surprised that it was at a Korean church. Damned clever way to make use of a large parking lot.

#4385 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Concfess that the term 'Korean church' had me wondering hard enough to ask mama.
    This is what she said, so i'm still no wiser

There’s a huge Korean population in my area, I’d say they’re 20% of the population here. All of their local churches are Christian churches. Their businesses are distinctive too because they always go with 2 stories. A lot of the business signs are in Hangul only (no English). Overall, they’re great people to be around and I’m glad they’re here.

#4386 2 years ago

Confess that I saw this little TV at a vintage computing festival, and I wanted to take him home with me. I played with the knobs for the nostalgia. The guy had it hooked up to a Raspberry Pi with a loop of 70’s commercials, modulated to channel 3. Freaking brilliant.

2C829026-29A4-45D6-8FF3-E24D18E7F577 (resized).jpeg2C829026-29A4-45D6-8FF3-E24D18E7F577 (resized).jpeg

#4422 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve never bought a game and shipped

Same here. I’ve driven up to 1000 miles round trip, but never had a game shipped (other than NIB). I’m old school - I need to see it and run through the diags before I fork over the cash. Fool me once, etc.

#4438 2 years ago

Confess that I never bought the cassette version of an album because I was an LP snob all the way up until CDs came out. But I did spend a lot of money on blank cassette tapes to record my LPs so I could listen to them in the car. I did have a brief fling with 8-track tapes, because my parents gave me a car 8-track player for my 16th birthday. For a few years I’d scour yard sales and find 8 tracks for 25-75 cents. To this day, My brain still knows where my 8-track would have changed tracks in the middle of a song.

#4440 2 years ago

Most of my tapes were black also, but I did have some that were other colors.

Doh, I meant blank, thank you

#4513 2 years ago

I confess that I started a project 11 years ago, and just pulled it out of storage yesterday to work on it. It’s nothing special, just a Dynamo HS-5 cabinet for a 25” monitor, but now that I have MAME running well on ARpiCADE I’m ready to use it. It was pretty damaged when I got it, and I already repaired the back. I just need to do the front and it’ll be ready to go!

D877C437-E23B-4338-BDC9-89B10EA27525 (resized).jpegD877C437-E23B-4338-BDC9-89B10EA27525 (resized).jpeg
    #4516 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

<blockquote cite="MAME running well on ARpiCADE I’m ready to use it.
    [quoted image]
    Is there a way to pick and choose the games on the arcade? I have one currently, half the games don’t get played. I want to put different games in it.

Yeah, definitely. You can just go in and edit the files in ARpiCADE/home/pi/.attract/romlists. I’ve spent way too much time on this, lol.

Progress:

0431BF54-AF26-4F9F-8BCF-E01C0DB39311 (resized).jpeg0431BF54-AF26-4F9F-8BCF-E01C0DB39311 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #4543 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yep, they’ll become catatonic when flipped over.

As one does. Flip me over and rub my belly, I’ll be catatonic too

#4554 2 years ago

and I was drinking 3 times the amount of beer back then that I drink now.

How is that even physically possible?

#4576 2 years ago

Confess that I slipped my Zeppelin into my shorts, Derek Smalls style, to see how it looked. Then screwed it back onto my game.
    #warrantyvoided
    941C8E9C-DA3A-4F81-B29E-7DD14A6D2BB6 (resized).jpeg941C8E9C-DA3A-4F81-B29E-7DD14A6D2BB6 (resized).jpeg

#4597 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

This is why you hate spiders:

I watched that video, and I think the hot chick with the sledgehammer is more dangerous than the spiders and snakes.

Confess that I like spiders and snakes.

#4598 2 years ago

I stumbled into a themed collection without really trying - I was just buying games I like.

Streaming collection:

0B3DDA21-B4D2-4536-A5E2-F9247A4391A7 (resized).jpeg0B3DDA21-B4D2-4536-A5E2-F9247A4391A7 (resized).jpeg

Music collection:

CB51447A-4315-46A4-A47B-DF2621450DFB (resized).jpegCB51447A-4315-46A4-A47B-DF2621450DFB (resized).jpeg

#4600 2 years ago

Ah but the real question is “can you live on American food”? We’ve collected all the most unhealthy foods from every country: Pizza, French Fries, Hamburgers, Taco Bell…

This reminds me of an episode of “Emergency” that always stuck in my head. One of the paramedics was on a healthy eating kick. The Randolph Mantooth guy says “my uncle never ate anything but bean burritos, and he lived to be 92!”

#4617 2 years ago

Confess that my first screen crushes were Kristy McNichols (“Family”) and Jodie Foster (“Bad New Bears”).

Confess that I watched an old JF movie called “The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane”. She was 14 when the movie came out, but there was a short nude scene that made me go WHAT!? Of course it was an adult double, but nobody would get away with that kind of thing today. Martin Sheen plays a rapey dude who finally meets his match in JF’s character. Not a great movie, but a decent one.

Confess that after my eye exam today, I spent 30 minutes at the model train store, looking for scale model stuff to use with my pins. I was in no hurry to get back to work.

#4619 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Was thinking it was Jodie in one of my all time fav's, Badlands. But it was Sissy Spacek.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_(film)

Oh yeah, I saw that one recently too. Martin Sheen was a hot property back then. Tiger Blood! Lol

#4622 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Alyssa Milano in “Who’s the boss?”.

Holy cow, the entire unedited “Embrace of the Vampire” is up on YouTube. Anyway…

#4637 2 years ago

Confess that I never wanted a warehouse, until just now.

#4647 2 years ago

Confess that I had a few friends over and we had a blast playing LZ Premium, but my last 4-5 games I center-drained a lot because I’m pretty hammered. I need the pinbal version of spellcheck. BUt, my best games on LZ are after 3-r beers. Just not 6-8

#4658 2 years ago

“Drama Child”, lol - nice touch.

#4664 2 years ago

I’m on another forum where political posts are allowed. The problem is that people break off into their tribes, and it splits the group apart.

I think I was moderated once for making a political post here, it doesn’t bother me. I’m glad we have boundaries on Pinside. We still have so many other things we can talk about - our kids, bourbon, lawns, lava lamp collecting, you name it. Robin is great for allowing us to use Pinside for sharing our non-pinball passions here. But Politics are toxic. The ‘22 election is more than a year out and I’m already seeing tons of ads on TV. It sucks.

#4679 2 years ago

Confess that I miss the “hitler reacts” videos, and we haven’t had a good one in a long while. Have I missed a recent one?

#4692 2 years ago

I woke up this morning to a squirrel sharpening his teeth on my metal roof gutter. The bastard kept at it until I opened the window and yelled at him, then he ran into the tree. But I confess I’m not ready to spend $1000 to remove branches, just to keep the squirrels off my roof. My wife and I disagree on this. If I have to spend any money to deal with critters, I am 100% “live and let live”.

#4698 2 years ago

If you had a price given to you that high, you must have some very big branches.

Yep, we need them to remove 8 branches that are about 20 feet long and 30-40 feet up. We just had three trees and a large bush removed in the front yard. They did it all in less than 90 minutes and charged us $1100, which includes someone coming out later to grind the stumps. They charged my neighbor across the street $1500 to remove some large branches from a single tree, but they had to use a cherry picker and it took them 6 hours. There’s no way to get a crane into our backyard, so they’d need to climb our tree and I think that cranks up the cost too.

#4701 2 years ago
    Quoted from Enaud:

I used a rope saw to get rid of my branches. They were up about 30 feet. I did have to toss the line over a couple of branches from the roof, however.
    So, if they aren't too high, you might be able to use a rope saw and do it yourself.

I’m definitely going to try this. Worst case I’m out $50 and the chain gets stuck in a branch.

#4706 2 years ago

My dad was over for the night, so I looked for a movie we could both enjoy and landed in “News of the World” with Tom Hanks. Great story and acting, we both really enjoyed it. Confess that 2 of my friends have said I need to watch “Squid Game”, but one of them said “you have to see the new Borat movie!” so I have to discount his opinion a lot, and I don’t like the pressure when someone texts me: “so have you watched it yet?”

#4721 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I confess to having chest pains right now .

Dude, go to the ER or an Urgent Care. You got this.

#4733 2 years ago

We have a frisbee golf course near our greenway, I need to get my son to come out and drink and play when it’s a little cooler here.

#4758 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Wish I would have known this 2 days ago, Haha. Ok now after taking a bunch of laxative.

Coffee works for me. Apple juice for the nuclear option.

#4782 2 years ago

I confess that some of these scam emails are getting scary. I got one where the subject was my full name. It had an attachment named “<my full name> Requirements” and the email simply said:

“Your f***ing image is on the line, you need to follow these instructions”.

I deleted it and blocked the sender. There’s nothing that they could blackmail me over. I did get myself ejected from a Pinside thread for a week, but I’m pretty sure nobody cares about that.

#4787 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

People look at me funny when i stand in the rain.

Maybe you should put some clothes on.

#4807 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Yet we spoiled our Children, choosing to protect them from the harsh realities of life and rounding off the sharp corners.

I think that’s an over-generalization, but it’s definitely been true for my family. My stepfather loaned me $300 for my first car; we gave my son my 10-year-old 4-Runner. I flipped burgers to pay for gas and insurance; my son didn’t have to do that until he moved out. We wanted him to focus on school. My parents didn’t have that luxury. They were poor because they were divorced.

I’ll say this though - my son turns 23 next month, and he’s more independent than I was at 23. He delivers pizza, and he’s trying different ways to make side cash. I keep pushing him to go back to school for at least a welding certificate. We’ve offered to let him move back in, but he says that’s not an option. We all get along great, but he says “I want to keep moving forward, moving back home is going backward”.

#4811 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'm trying to retire in 5 years and supporting a full grown man is hampering MY goal."

Exactly, I’m on the same timeline. I’ve already turned the faucet down to a trickle, but he knows that once I stop working, the faucet is off. But I’m still happy to pay for him to get any kind of continuing education that will help him earn more.

#4824 2 years ago

Confess I will not be making a very long post tonight, that normally happens at the 12 beer point, and I am too tired tonight to drink that many.

24E5FF4A-636C-4BF6-AA74-2D4E922C146F (resized).jpeg24E5FF4A-636C-4BF6-AA74-2D4E922C146F (resized).jpeg
    #4826 2 years ago

I was just teasing with that pic. I’d have to make 6 trips to the head to drink 12 beers.

Confess that I remember a time in college when I went to a bar to meet some friends and see a band. I got us a great table, and had 3 beers while I waited for them. Meanwhile, large groups of people were eyeballing my table, so I knew that if I got up to pee, I’d lose the table. So I sat there in pain for 20 more minutes before giving up, and when my damned friends finally showed up they said “I thought you were holding a table for us!”

681 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.