Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,550 posts
  • 721 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4658 (resized).jpeg
    ff24 (resized).jpg
    twister-478-x-282-gif-6ciqtms8ubq7hz74.gif
    IMG_5810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5819 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5832 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5831 (resized).jpeg
    442475043dec51f5c5b1c352c6afdd37.gif
    IMG_20240405_120516353 (resized).jpg
    punkinlarry (resized).jpg
    punkinsac1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
    20240218_090024[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    punkinchest1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxxstone_80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8428 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Episode 3 was the absolute worst. Well, maybe it's Solo. I was so done with Star Wars after Solo. First couple seasons of Mando was cool, but I don care about anything more.
    Edit: Episode 3 Star Wars is up there with movies I've watched a couple times, but never been able to finish. Matrix 3 and the Hobbit series are others.

the Hobbit is one of my favorite books but I was really disappointed with how it was adapted into movies. I mean, c'mon three movies from a book that is about 300 pages long. Some of the extra stuff that Peter Jackson added flowed well with the story, but it got pretty ridiculous by the third movie.

hobbit meme (resized).jpghobbit meme (resized).jpg
    #8432 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Don't forget, John Carpenter's The Thing. And The Fog

I really liked the 2011 version of the thing. It's actually a prequel since it's set before the events that occurred during the original version. John carpenter's original is awesome and I felt that the newer movie was done very well, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

#8435 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I think Cabin in the Woods holds the world record for fake blood used in a movie, they were trying to be all over the place when they made that movie.

Cabin in the woods is a fun movie! It's cheesy and campy, and knows it is, but also has an interesting story that was never done before.

#8438 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Jackson was pulled into the project last minute as a replacement. He wasn't with it from day 1 like with LOTR.
    https://www.slashfilm.com/541186/peter-jackson-hobbit-movie-problems/

Who knows what Guillermo del Toro had planned, I would've rather seen that movie(s). Sounds like Jackson came in and threw out everything and started completely over while the movie was being filmed. I wish someone would do a cut of the three movies and only have the scenes in it that are true to the book. It could be called the "Tolkien cut".

2 months later
    #9263 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Has anyone else predicted disappointment?
    My white whale. For years I've been wanting to try TSPP. Huge Simpsons fan. Can remember when it debuted on Fox. Since I've returned to the hobby I kept hearing about how great of a game it is. Super deep, code, etc...
    I've joked with friends saying watch I probably won't even like it. Well I was right. Half way thru my first game I knew this game wasn't for me. Found the callouts annoying and the game shoots weird. As with lots of games maybe it would improve in a home setting and you figure out shots but I had no fun flailing on this title.

It's funny I had the same thought with TFTC. As soon as I saw gameplay video I knew I wanted one before I played it. The first time I played one I was a bit nervous as I started to play, I was really worried that I would hate it. But in my case, I ended up loving it and it made me want one even more.

Have you played the 1990 DE Simpsons? I just got one a little over a week ago and the whole family loves it, even my son who doesn't like pinball has a good time playing it. Code isn't deep, but it's still a challenging and fun game with a 3 ball multiball that isn't easy to get going. I grew up watching the Simpsons when it first came out and this is based on the first season so it really resonates with me. The call outs are pretty great too...."eat my shorts!"

3 weeks later
    #9562 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I haven’t had a drink in a week. I confess I was feeling pretty good about that until I went to see my doctor today (for pain in my right side). I told him I’d quit drinking and he immediately went into a “I’m dealing with an alcoholic” mode. He gave me some motor coordination tests for DTs and said I might have hallucinations from withdrawal. It pissed me off, because he didn’t say shit at my regular 6-month appointment in September, when I told him I had about 20 beers a week. Now that I’ve quit, it’s a problem? And he fucking wrote “alcohol counseling” on my health record.
    Anyway, they did some blood tests and I have to go back for an ultrasound on Monday. Hopefully it’s nothing, the pain isn’t that bad.

It sounds like standard questioning for anyone who reports a sudden end of moderate to heavy drinking.

Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous and Delirium Tremens (DTs) can be life threatening. Withdrawal symptoms typically start within 24-72 hours of your last drink and can last several days to over a week. But the worst of it is usually within the first several days from the time of your last drink. Being a week out from your last drink I would doubt you're going to start experiencing withdrawal symptoms if you haven't already. Alcoholic related cirrhosis would be my biggest concern at this point

We've gotten better, but some Healthcare workers still have a tendency to not be as compassionate to people suffering from alcoholism compared to other illnesses. It sounds like he should've given you more education on your last appointment and this one as well.

I'm sorry for your bad experience but it seems like the doctor was doing his job by asking you about any symptoms after you quit drinking. It's possible he could have had more tact or compassion but alcohol withdrawal can be very deadly, especially if you quit abruptly.

This all comes from over a decade of taking care of people actively withdrawaling from alcohol.

1 week later
    #9686 1 year ago

I took a new job in upper level management that I thought was going to be, well I won't say a dream job, but a really great opportunity and the type of job I have strived to have for the last several years. I'm just a few weeks in and I'm miserable. I think about resigning daily.

I'm not one to quit, and I'm trying to look at it as a challenge (a very very big challenge) but most days I leave feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. Everyone I talk to says I need to stick it out for at least 6months and just power through....I keep hearing its going to get better. But I don't really see it happening.

Due to family health concerns and financial obligations I can't just quit, unless I have something else lined up, and believe me I'm looking. But I'd be burning bridges if I quit and in my industry word gets around pretty quick.

I'm looking for any advice or encouragement at this point.

#9693 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sorry to hear it's not going well. What are you doing? Not sure we can help without more information. Is it a shitty boss situation? Learning new skills? Shitty workers you have to manage?

All of the above. Healthcare administration. Almost all of my employees are agency/temporary workers. My predecessor in this role let things slide and left a large amount of things overdue and unfinished. Its a new role for me in an area I'm not extremely experienced in. Ive done management for years but not in this area. Due to all the staff quitting I have no experienced workers that understand their roles. And all the responsibilities in this department that are usuly split among other staff falls solely on me now that almost of the permanent employees quit.

Essentially, I was not aware of the extent of all the issues prior to taking this job. I've talked to the facility director (my supervisor) twice now about my concerns. This person has good intentions but is inexperienced and is unable, I feel, to give me the things I need to do this job.

#9709 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. There was a lot of good insight in several of the responses. I reached out to the director of a previous hospital I worked at for some advice. She has offered me a job on more than one occasion so I know that is an option at the very least. It would be a pay cut, but less responsibility, and it's actually a much closer commute than my current job so I may consider that if the offer still stands. I'll keep you all posted.

1 month later
    #10370 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Thanks friends. I'll go get a dressing this morning and soak the paper towel off and see what's going on.
    Confess i've near had enough of these giant, poisonous, jumping spiders watching me in the bathroom.
    [quoted image]

Freaky spider! You need to be seen by a Dr. ASAP. With the amount of blood I bet you hit a vein. Veins can heal to an extent depending on the severity of the injury but something like that I doubt it, and with the amount of blood you lost I wouldn't mess around with it. Sepsis would be a big possibility also, and you do not want to mess around with that. I'm not sure how Emergency departments in Austrailia compare to here in the states, but let the person who checks you in know that your leg won't stop bleeding for >24 hrs. Life and limb is a big priority universally in medicine. (RN with over a decade of critical care experience)

#10373 1 year ago

This reminds me of an interesting story you guys might appreciate. Emergency medicine we triage patients based on level of severity of injury/complaint (pretty common knowledge to most people). Surprisingly, some people will really underscore the severity of their injury during checkin. Had a patient once who came for a "sore arm", obviously this patient was pushed to the side and told to wait. It wasn't until I went out to triage a full waiting room that I discovered the "sore arm" was the result of a motorcycle crash. Turned into an emergent trauma: stat x-rays, CT scan, everything. patient was found to have numerous broken bones, a collapsed lung, and a liver laceration (lots of internal bleeding). less than an hour later the patient was in the OR.

2 weeks later
    #10544 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I do it old school. It’s how my dad taught me, his dad taught him, etc. Plus it’s way cheaper with a better shave!
    [quoted image]

I use a similar setup. I got into using DE razors after buying one on a whim at a local thrift store about 15 yrs ago. I soon began collecting antique double edge and single edge razors and had over 50 at one time.

I've sold most of them in the last few years and now have a few different classic style razors that I rotate between. Much like pinball, there is an avid group of collectors and enthusiasts and the price of old antique razors has skyrocketed. Razors that I bought for a few dollars 10-15 yrs ago have sold for $50-100 in the last few yrs.

20230129_081934.jpg20230129_081934.jpg

2 months later
    #11081 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I miss the near by green way when I lived in Connecticut. I loved jogging at 4:30 AM because I felt like I had the whole world to myself and was a really peaceful way to start the day with no one else around. It would be spooky in a fun way in the fall when it was pitch black out and my head lamp would catch the eyes of various animals. In the summer time it would be just about light when I started, and I would get to catch the sunrise when I would hit my turn around and come back down the mountain. Florida is nice for jogging because it is so amazingly flat, but there aren't any areas near by that are undeveloped that let me feel like I'm running wild. Also with the heat in the summer, my 4:30 AM runs need to be more like 3:30 AM since it gets so hot out.

I lift weights several times a week, but I'm a fair weather runner. We have a treadmill but I rarely use it. The weather here is finally nice enough to run outside again. I did 4.5 miles yesterday and 3.5 miles today. I'm definitely feeling it. I usually try to work up to running 6 miles at a time with a 8 min/mile pace....I have a long way to go to get to that point. Feels good to be running again and I got some extra winter weight I want to burn off.

#11083 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My pace is kinda slow - about 12:30 - and I’m only running 3 miles. And even going that slow, my heart is pounding about 155BPM. I think I need to pull back and do more almost-walking. It’s boring as hell, but my understanding is that’s how you build up a good aerobic base.

You could try to do it in intervals: walk 1 min, jog 1 min, walk 1 min, jog 1 min...ect. Increase the jogging time and decrease the walking time for each interval as you get used to it.

I'm probably at a 10min/mile pace and right now I'm walking for a minute after every mile. Once I can do 4 ish miles without walking I'll increase my distance.

There are some 10k/half marathons that a buddy of mine (an avid runner) wants me to do with him this year. I used to run lots of 10k and an occasional half marathon, but the last race I ran in was 2017.

8 months later
    #12296 3 months ago

I blocked my first person on here today. Is that a pinside achievement yet? If you can read this then congratulations it wasn't you.

#12299 3 months ago

Confess I stopped using the block feature, and I only use the ignore feature now.
    Downvotes tick me off, I have never left one, and I never will. I just roll my eyes and keep scrolling when I don't agree with something.
    I never even use the ignore feature, except to block downvote people from downvoting me.
    I hope all of you had a GREAT Christmas, and I hope all of you have a very Awesome 2024!
    (And I still upvote every post in this thread). I do love this thread.

I've never givem the block/ignore feature much thought. I'm a pretty low key guy and get along with most people...but recently there's a member on here that post obnoxiously trolling responses in literally every thread I go to. Not necessarily directed to me, I'm just tired of reading their inane messages that add nothing to the conversation.

#12300 3 months ago

Confess the first time I used the block feature I thought I may would get points for that.

Draining a thread is an achievement, why wouldn't blocking or ignoring some be one also?

#12306 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I think I know who, or is it whom?

Hard to say, but I'm sure I'm not the only person that has recently blocked this person.

1 month later
    #12427 65 days ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I got accused of being 'the self appointed ambassador of peace and harmony' and of starting arguments with everybody in the same thread this morning.

Gotta cover all your bases. Sounds like you unlocked new pinside achievements.

GoingFullCirclePunkin

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider foxxstone_80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional?tu=foxxstone_80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.