Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,563 posts
  • 721 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by ReadyPO
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

R0010429 (resized).jpg
    R0010431 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2170 (resized).jpeg
    R0010422 (resized).jpg
    pb59 (resized).jpg
    pb58 (resized).jpg
    pb57 (resized).jpg
    IFMaMr.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4658 (resized).jpeg
    ff24 (resized).jpg
    twister-478-x-282-gif-6ciqtms8ubq7hz74.gif
    IMG_5810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5819 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5832 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5831 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2175 4 years ago

I confess I check this thread often just to see if JohnnyPinball007 has posted another confession.

1 month later
    #2336 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

I confess that I do not not what Natty light is (Bud light? Coors light?)

Natural Light (Anheuser-Busch). It is priced to sell, a perennial favorite of college students

Natty (resized).jpgNatty (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2384 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have no clue how the Pinside point system works, but sometimes I may make a post while having a few too many beers I kind of wonder if I am about to lose 30k points after I hit the send button.

Those ones you wonder about are usually your most entertaining posts - keep it up!

2 weeks later
    #2408 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Confession: I lurk in more topics than I actually post in. Am I the only one?

I confess I lurked a long time before my first post. Also, Pinside is pretty much the only social media I participate in. I have a Facebook account but rarely post anything on it.

2 weeks later
    #2474 3 years ago

Sorry for another long post, I confess I will try to not type so much again.

I confess I don't believe you, it's not like there is a nation wide shortage of Natty Light (yet) ,
    Keep posting as often and long as you like, I for one enjoy reading them.

2 weeks later
    #2621 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I'm too exhausted to move a pinball in past my front door.

I confess I too have had on more that one occasion a game sit in my front hall overnight or even a day or two after getting back late from a retrieval. I also have a "one week" max family rule for pins being upstairs, either in the hall or setup in the living room for "testing" before mandatory movement to the basement. I have violated that rule at least a few times ...

#2622 3 years ago

And the pic is of my favorite shirt, getting the boat ready to go do some night fishing now that it is finally cooling down outside.

I confess that JohnnyPinball007 doesn't look like I pictured him, and that's a good thing

#2625 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

There might be a couple others I can’t think of off the top of my head.

It's the ones that exist but you don't know about until AFTER you break it that you have to watch out for

1 week later
    #2713 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’ll just stick to threads About men’s restroom dividers from now on

I think those dividers should be floor to ceiling and anyone who disagrees with me obviously doesn't know their restroom dividers ...

#2741 3 years ago

And now the ghost may be back looking over my shoulder, all of a sudden, first time I have sensed it in a while.

I confess I generally don't believe in ghosts, but when I read about someone's personal experience like this, I sometimes get chills and find it much more believable. My mom has a similar ghost story about living in a house where she saw a ghostly apparition with a shaft of light crossing the upstairs corridor. Later she found out the old man that use to live there had a long flashlight he would use at night to go from his bedroom to the bathroom in that corridor. Creepy.

1 week later
    #2774 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

My blood boils a bit every day when I see a stack of amazon boxes on my front porch, I mean every day.

I would get mad at that too except it is usually a tool or electronic item for me

#2788 3 years ago

And I am sorry for a long post, but while I was typing it, made me forget about my current pain.

Hope you feel better soon

1 week later
    #2811 3 years ago

I confess I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a Big Buck Hunter ...

2 months later
    #3007 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

I confess that I usually recognize pinsiders more by their avatar than by their username.

I confess I do this too, and snowy_owl you are one of the easiest to recognize by avatar! I have thought about changing mine but haven't yet partly because of that reason and also partly because Aladdin is the first pin I owned with personal history to me from my childhood. Still, I discovered later that PoBoyPinball also has Aladdin's Castle as his avatar and he was here on pinside before me so I may still change it though I am guessing that happens a lot - I see quite a few people have chosen that lit backbox with no translite ...

#3009 3 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I also confess that I am the fucking worst, if I want something, I go buy it. N Takes the spirit out of X-Mas because anything I have already wanted, I got, so hardly any excitement on the big day, lol

Quoted from punkin:

My family and friend have bitched about the same problem for years. Can never think of anything to buy me as if there was something i needed or wanted i would have already bought it.

Me too. I tell my family the best gift for me (other than a new pinball, I would always take that) is not something expensive, but something that indicates they really thought about it, had to hunt it down, etc. That is hard to do, usually I just get socks

#3020 3 years ago

(and I confess I am watching a certain bowling movie at the moment with Jeff Bridges and John Goodman or I may would have typed a lot more

You will have to let us know what you think - it is a love it I get it or a what was that I don't get it kind of movie. I loved it.

#3021 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

A good friend of mine has passed. He was very young and it was unexpected.

Sorry to hear this as well. My condolences.

#3033 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I also was never able to see the images of those optical illusions posters from the 1990’s. The ones you had to stare at and lose focus to see the image. Maybe it’s related to the moon thing. Maybe it’s not.

Me neither. Here's one. I have no idea what it is.

135059 (resized).jpg135059 (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #3426 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

20% isn't nothing, though! I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

Very sorry to hear this but hoping for the best with you, and you are right, 20% isn't nothing, that says there is a chance. Stay strong for your family.

1 week later
    #3431 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I missed you all over the last 6 days or so.

Agree, I confess I found out I am more invested in Pinside than I knew. It is really my only social media.

#3448 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Hey JohnnyPinball007, check out openoffice, its free.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I would recommend Libreoffice over openoffice. It's a much more active project than openoffice is.

You both beat me to it - and both options read and write Word Documents.

#3456 3 years ago

I confess sometimes I look for topics that were closed to read - it is like when you pass a car accident and can't help but look...

#3462 3 years ago

Sorry, I do not get it. No way in hell would I ever be interested in playing a pinball machine on a phone. They can have that.

On the subject of phones, I confess

I don't like bloatware, I switched to an LG phone because it has less of it;
    I only have a Google account for YouTube and Maps (use DuckDuckGo for Searches) - I bought my last car without a GPS but with the ability to link the phone to it for Maps, which is kept pretty up to date for free unlike the built-in GPS systems, and it has the speed trap feature;
    I stream Amazon Music/keep other Music on the phone for use in the car as well;
    I have a Military issued phone in addition to my personal phone that I only use for military email and occasionally as a hot spot, it is an IPhone and I have never gotten use to the Apple interface though it is easy to use;
    I don't play Candy Crush or any other games on my phone (or computer for that matter) - my daughter game me a hard time for playing a card game on the computer about 10 years ago, I quit cold Turkey (I will still play arcade games and xbox of course, I'm not crazy )

1 week later
    #3487 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I do have a friend at work that likes ketchup on his bratwurst. His wife thinks that is appalling and will berate him about it.

I would never say this to my wife, but she is right There are only two approved toppings for Bratwurst - Mustard and/or Sauerkraut

#3493 3 years ago

Sorry that I ranted so long, but I had fun doing it, and I hope all of you have a AWESOME WEEKEND!

I confess I don't have time to read @johnnypinball007's long confessionals, but I make time - keep them up!

#3496 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Actually, I'm not good at a lot of stuff.

I think that is pretty much everyone on the planet. The key is to focus on what you are good at, and build off of that

#3499 3 years ago

Most of the time it would have been faster to just go to the store, than to look through all this stuff.

I confess I have done just that, just gone to the store and buy another pack of screws, etc. rather than look for what I have. That is also why I have about 20 tape measures scattered about the house.

2 weeks later
    #3562 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I confess that every time i hear the word jubbly's i feel happy, safe and warm.

I confess when I read this, I thought of this. Had to go six descriptions down on the Urban Dictionary to get the alternative definition ...

jubbly (resized).jpgjubbly (resized).jpg
    #3596 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I confess that I cosplayed Eleven from Stranger Things

Ha, that's great! Needed a little nosebleed tho

#3625 2 years ago

I confess I drank some soda too late in the day, so I can't sleep and its 12:30 a.m. and I am browsing Pinside. I also confess I like to do this sometimes because I can get "caught up" on the Pinside threads I am following without as many new posts making me go right back to the thread I just read.

#3627 2 years ago

It was Mountain Dew for me as well. How is the Watermelon, I haven't had it yet.

1 month later
    #3961 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

To me I think that’s silly. Work all week and then go up to your cabin and do some more yard work when the point of cabins are to be to get away and relax

Quoted from LTG:

Then all summer long run a free hotel for family and friends and you do all the work.

I confess 20 years ago we looked for some land/cabin on a lake within a couple of hours from the city with the intention of working on it/enjoying it and eventually retiring to it. We actually bought some land adjacent to a lake about two hours away and had great plans. Then a job shift made it possible to be just an hour away, but we couldn't find a builder in time and bought a "temporary house" on the other side of the lake (now just 45 minutes away).

No regrets moving out of the city and living in our vacation house year around for about an extra total 30/40 minutes a day commuting time. Kept the dream of building new on our land this whole time as I could not bring myself to part with it but we just realized in the last year we have enough to keep us busy with were we are. Land sale closes next week.

Oh, and one of my daughters bought her first house 30 minutes away, so I am glad all these years we didn't have two homes to maintain as I am getting a glimpse of what that is like now...

Lake1 (resized).jpgLake1 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #4030 2 years ago

Confess when I wake up in the morning, or the crack of noon depending on how many Natties I had, if I see 10 new posts in Funny Captions, and 2 new posts here, I look here first.

I confess I often wait to read this thread until I have enough time, especially with the length of JohnnyPinball007 posts (and that last one was a doozy ), but I read it all. Keep up the good work!

#4038 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m rebuilding our 14-year-old dryer, as part of my justification for buying Stranger Things.

Washer and Dryer are now pushing 20 years old. Have replaced thermostat (twice), Washer motherboard, heating element, door liner, pump. Told wife, next thing that breaks, new set. I know the new ones will not last as long, that is why I have held out, but I think we have got our money's worth.

#4104 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Nice, a pinball confession!

I confess I played Mandalorian Premium on Saturday and didn't think I would like it (haven't seen the show) but I did. Now considering a purchase ...

#4132 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Better than scaring the dog and getting doggy poo dragged all over your house.

#4134 2 years ago

Been too great a summer at the golf course, boating, hanging out on deck crushing beers and been a beauty of a heat wave summer.

I confess I looked up the weather in Nipawin because I figured summer was so short, you had better take advantage of it. turns out, winter is not that much longer than here in Southern Illinois and Summer length is close but about 10 degrees warmer down here. Snowfall averages not much different either about 25 inches a year. Here the snow usually melts off in a week or so so there is rarely more than a few inches on the ground.

I also confess I am not usually a weather nerd but have worked with several serious weather fanboys in the past and maybe a little seems to have rubbed off on me...

Screenshot_2021-07-21 Average Weather in Litchfield, Illinois, United States, Year Round - Weather Spark (resized).pngScreenshot_2021-07-21 Average Weather in Litchfield, Illinois, United States, Year Round - Weather Spark (resized).pngScreenshot_2021-07-21 Average Weather in Nipawin, Canada, Year Round - Weather Spark (resized).pngScreenshot_2021-07-21 Average Weather in Nipawin, Canada, Year Round - Weather Spark (resized).png
    1 week later
    #4182 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I confess that when I came out of anesthesia for my colonoscopy an hour ago, I said “I’m Rick Grimes, I need to see my people”. Then…”oh, wait, sorry, I’m not him”.

I insisted they had not done the procedure yet when I came out of anesthesia. I am sure they get that a lot.

1 month later
    #4462 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

If a post falls in the middle of a thread does anyone really read it?

I confess I upvoted EJS just to let him know I read his thread.

1 month later
    #4780 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I kept track of my 50,000 post on RGP. And made a special post for it.

Others were tracking it too.

I confess I looked at your post count when I read his - almost 44,000 on Pinside so won't be long till you reach 50,000 here! (and now I will be keeping a look out for it )

1 week later
    #4847 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Found a little more about him:

Just watched a few Youtube videos about the guy. Very dedicated, rain or shine, all seasons. Seems genuine.

#4926 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

What games have you sold and lost money on? Here’s my list of losses over $300, hope this make you feel a little better:

I confess I haven't loss anything on selling a game, because I haven't sold any games yet. I will be selling some I am sure but my current plan is for my family to absorb the bulk of the losses after I am gone
    (and I will hopefully by that time have a lot more into them than they are "worth")

#4927 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I really want to get a hot tub. We have the perfect spot for one, under our 8’x8’ deck. But my wife is a flat-out “no” for some reason.

I am in the same situation. She thinks the maintenance is too much. I am getting to the point where I think it might be a medical necessity though...

#4998 2 years ago

Anyway, just now I took my cigarette lighter, and checked the nearest gas connection, and sure enough it lit up a tiny blue flame,

Confess I first pictured this when I read this

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #5203 2 years ago

It does not hurt to donate more to this awesome site.

Confess I paid twice on purpose.

I make sure I renew my pinsider+ ever year, but confess I would do a multi-year or auto renewal if that was available (and I never do auto renewals on anything else)

#5204 2 years ago

That stuff was pretty funny. Everything goes in brown grocery bags, so they all look the same, and mostly just stuff that needed to be put in the trash.

Confess we had a hideous porcelain duck pitcher like the one below that my grandmother picked up in the 1950s on a vacation in Mexico that was the family's white elephant gift. The idea was to pass it along undetected in a Christmas or birthday gift to someone else, who then had the job of unloading it next. It was all pretty fun until my brother gave it to my daughter at her 4th birthday party. Tempers flared and my mother took the duck and it has not be seen for over 20 years. I think she kept it and is going to will it to my brother (now that would be funny).

duck (resized).jpgduck (resized).jpg
    #5213 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I just started watching a 4th 90s movie all of which had a pinball made after them.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I'll start.. Johnny mnemonic?!

I confess I just watched this. I forgot how bad it was. And my thumb drive has more much memory that the 360 gigs he "crammed" in his head.

#5225 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Other than using a quarter for releasing grocery carts at Aldi's, I don't think I've actually handled loose change in about 3 years or so. The last time may have been when I got dollar coins back from a soda machine.

I had been putting together the quarter books for the states and the national parks for my daughters neither who want them or even care, but only from found change. I confess I got tired of looking for the last few ones and just overspent on ebay to get the last few ones and be done with it.

quarter (resized).jpgquarter (resized).jpg
    #5266 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What product could be made and sold at a store today for one cent?

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This is not a riddle and I have no idea if there is such a product.

Even the penny cost more than a penny to make - 1.76 cents last year according to coin news

https://www.coinnews.net/2021/02/23/penny-costs-1-76-cents-to-make-in-2020-nickel-costs-7-42-cents-us-mint-realizes-549-9m-in-seigniorage/

1 week later
    #5351 2 years ago

Confess I can't sleep, again. Up at the computer @ 4 in the morning on Pinside. It will hit me by early afternoon and I will fall asleep for an hour on the couch.

#5373 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess a fair number of games in my collection came to me because of a divorce.

I confess I think my wife is ok with me buying pins just BECAUSE it will make a divorce too expensive

#5380 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I haven't even played a Stranger Things yet. I love the show too. I think AIQ is the newest game I've played. Or is JP a newer game? Can you see how bad I am with keeping up with new titles?

Confess I never intended to own a newer title, had too many old ones on my wish list. Then got a Houdini at a ridiculous low price, then wife wanted B/W Munster's premium, and now I have two NIB on order.

Still love my EMs, early SS and my 80s and 90s pins, but the immersion on the newer titles is pretty awesome. However, I guess I confess I like playing all era's of pins

1 week later
    #5461 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I confess that on the 18 of October I lost my oldest friend here in Norway.

Very sorry to hear this. My sincerest condolences.

1 week later
    #5521 2 years ago

I confess I drank four Mountain Dews yesterday including a couple of later ones and now I can't sleep so I am up at 3:30 am checking Pinside. I knew better but was playing in a pinball tournament and then watching football at Bdubs (results - meh on the pinball tournament, could have been worse though, and good on the football game).
    I still like Mountain Dew and it is pretty much my only vice. I gave up drinking large quantities years ago (usually 2 12 oz a day or less). I don't care for the sugar free stuff. I confess would probably drink more of the Caffeine Free but it is not stocked around here, at least where we shop. I probably should just give it up completely, as I know it is not good for me but *sigh* it tastes so good...

1 week later
    #5649 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

My oldest game is GTB Knockout my newest game is Ghostbusters and I appreciate them both in different ways.

Confess I like them from all eras for what they are, and sometimes I feel like a five minute game on an EM, knocking down targets, and sometimes I like to stack modes on a modern pin and play a much longer game. I also just like looking at the art on all of them sometimes too

I confess sometimes I stumble onto 5 year old threads here, and I give some upvotes to posts made a long time ago.

For me anyway, upvoting just feels good, and I do a lot of it.

I like to upvote too. I get a lot of enjoyment out of Pinside and I am generally smiling when I am upvoting. I have left downvotes but very, very rarely. I try to stay out of too much drama but I confess I do read a lot of those threads ... And I always enjoy seeing the "regulars" who post in this thread and many others.

1 month later
    #6180 2 years ago

I confess gonna be a sad household tomorrow for us possibly.
    If my oldest loses his playoff game tomorrow night, it will be his last Minor hockey (youth) game ever. He plays Sask U18 AA - real good hockey.

I think almost nothing beats watching your kids sports, especially if they excel. I confess I felt pretty great when my daughter's soccer team won regionals all four years in high school, and equally sad when they got beat in sectionals all four years (twice to the eventual state champ). The last one was the worst though. I just hope I live long enough to watch grandkids competing in high school sports.

2 weeks later
    #6380 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

My ex used to keep crosswords and sudokus in the dunny. She'd be in there for half a fucking hour.

Myself i rely on conversation mainly, but play solitaire on the computer in the mornings for an hour or two while i wait for it to get light.

I like the daily challenges where you do 5 rounds of different solitaire games each day.

My wife does Sudoku too from the paper, to keep her mind sharp. As far as computer games like solitaire are concerned, here is my confession - I haven't played one on the computer or my phone in seven years. Before that, I played a solitaire game called Spider Solitaire. My youngest daughter, in high school at the time, said I spent too much time on the computer playing card games. So I quit, cold turkey. I probably spend as much time on Pinside now but not computer or phone games.

Quoted from punkin:

Drove me mental till i put a second crapper in the house.

We have 3 1/2 baths in the house. When both daughters were at home at times that seemed like barely enough. Even now, both in the main floor are in use at the same time a lot...

1 week later
    #6552 2 years ago

We played a board game, Up Words.

It's ok @johnnypinball007, you are not alone...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there

#6604 2 years ago

Confess if JohnnyPinball007 has a long post I upvote it first while I am at the top and then read it.

I also confess I don't like to buy flowers for my wife as they die in a few days and I think it is a waste of money, but she likes them so I buy them anyway at random once in a while and it makes her happy (which then makes me think it is worth it for at least a little while).

flowers (resized).jpgflowers (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #6739 2 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

she asked me if I ever pee in the shower. I said yes, and she claims that she never has. Please tell me that I’m not an animal..surely I’m not the only one

Your not

1 week later
    #6866 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Houdini has modes where 'chimp flipping' is penalized.

Also have reverse flippers where where cross your arms like in a straight jacket.

#6878 2 years ago

Confess I am trying to help my girlfriend out with a word game that she is stuck on at the moment.

Queyn, quern, quine, inure

Here is a cheat site for you:

https://lettersolver.com/

#6882 2 years ago

Confess I never have a good game on it - not sure why, seems to be my nemesis.

#6928 2 years ago

I also stopped wearing any kind of watch or anything else around my wrist back around 16 also.

Quoted from LTG:

Me to. It was like clockwork. I get a new wrist watch or get mine rebuilt. With in a day or two I'm in a car accident or motorcycle accident and tear the watch up.

Confess I stopped wearing any jewelry, including my wedding band, a very long time ago, at first mostly due to military service, then I got use to it. Confess I tried on my wedding band a decade ago and couldn't get it on, it didn't fit. It can't be widened easily due to a pattern, so no ring. I told my wife if she pick out a new one for me/ matching for her not too long ago I would wear it but so far she doesn't seem to be able to make a decision on what to get yet.

I did start occasionally wearing a watch a recently. I don't like wearing a watch, but this one is a Mr. Jones watch designed by Ryan Claytor so I have made an exception

watch (resized).jpgwatch (resized).jpg
    #6999 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

My kid did the dna kit and it shows me and her mother so i dont have to buy a kit!

Confess the whole family has done the DNA test. It is interesting to see how much of your particular ancestor was passed down - 30% German doesn't necessarily mean 15% to each kid. I am mostly Czech/Polish Eastern European with healthy amounts of German, English, and Scottish and a little Swedish. My wife is mostly Scandinavian, the kids got more of the Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish). The important part, however the tests confirmed me as their father

#7026 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I saved one pumpkin spiced coffee last fall and drank it this morning.

Serious question - how did it taste? We don't drink coffee and keep a cheap 5 cup maker in the house for guests, but regular coffee is not very shelf stable. I thought maybe K-cups would be a good solution as I read they keep longer.

Thoughts?

#7029 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

If you buy a brewer you can explore other hot drinks too if you like hot chocolate cappuccino or tea or who knows what else is out there.

Ok good info and we are Sam's members, they have the same type of thing. Looks like machines around $75. And some of the flavors don't sound bad (like the Pumpkin Spice you just had). Will give it a try, thanks.

#7067 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Confess every time I see this scene in Ozark - the leather sofa out by the fire pit, in front of the trailer, I think: “that’s pretty cool.”

Ha! when I see that I always think that has got to be pretty moldy and digusting by now sitting out in the rain. I like your thought process better.

#7075 1 year ago

Get my tires from local mom and pop. Costs more but the rest of the service from them is very reasonable, they do everything except transmission rebuilds. Always available for emergencies, and always trustworthy, and local. I will pay a little extra once every three years or so for that.

3 weeks later
    #7285 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For anything critically important, I try to have a backup option or analog backup solution in place that I can turn to temporarily.

Tech horror story- 3 yrs ago internet (and email) provider sold. New provider didn't allow imap/pop so no local backup for email. Put it in to do list to get new email account, but then COVID etc.. About 3 weeks ago, out of blue, email canceled, no access to 3 yrs mail. Called, complained, they said we sent notices, etc. (No notices ever sent).

Nothing to do but drive on - got new email (the one I was planning on switching to) and started the process of changing over 100 accounts, many who want to send an email to your old email before they will allow the new ...

Two days after telling us too bad - the old service calls. Turns out they made a "mistake" and didn't send out notices. Turned it back on till Mid July with all old email (suprising since they told us they couldn't recover thembafter they shut it off the first time.)

New service could access the old one, all the emails transfered (and are now also local and in backup PST files as the new service is very good).

Monitoring the old now for straggler emails, nothing left in it now.

Oh, many accounts use email address as the unique identifier (Stern Insider Connect seems to be one). Cant just switch, have to make a new account.

#7292 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m in the “9th decile” and I confess that I don’t know how 80% of ya’ll get through the week.

Confess I am probably in the Sixth, about one drink every other week. My biological father was an alcoholic and by all accounts a mean drunk. Luckily I was four when my mother left him. I decided I didn't want to be like him so I rarely drink and even rarer drink enough to feel the effects (maybe twice a year). Luckily when I do, I'm a happy drunk. My wife, who really doesn't drink at all, calls me an annoying drunk

2 weeks later
    #7458 1 year ago

Also confess and impressed that the postal service employees can still read cursive, and most mail that she sends out still gets delivered.

From Scientific American, "Most of the mail that goes through the mail system is never even really seen or handled, during the processing phase, by a human employee - it is all automated with few exceptions." When the machine cannot use Optical Character Recognition (OCR), which is very rare, a picture is taken and sent off to a remote processing center where a human will look at it. The Post Office was at the forefront of OCR technology and what is on your computer now in Adobe and other products have benefited from their pioneering contracts - kinda like NASA.

I confess I sometimes remember little factoids I heard somewhere, and get sucked into a 10 minute internet search on the topic when I should be doing something else. I confess that sometimes during that search, I will see something else that spurs another search, and that is how an hour or two disappears from day magically.

#7497 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If you don’t have scars by the time you’re 11, you haven’t lived.

Quoted from swampfire:

My sister backed me up in my lie about how it happened, and that was a real bonding moment for us.

Was 10 or so, and was standing on a fire hydrant (one leg each side) to impress a girl. Slipped and cracked my head on the hydrant, blood everywhere. My one year older brother took me home, washed me up. Never told mom, no stitches but probably should have. I am pretty sure the girl was not impressed.

Pretty much forgot about it until Basic Training in the Army when the hair got buzzed and there was the scar. In fact, it seemed like over half the platoon had various scars on their head...

#7524 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve only had 2 good experiences with Facebook.

Quoted from RyanStl:

I only have Facebook for the marketplace. That's it.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I only use Facebook for selling shit on marketplace and finding garage sales.

I went on Facebook in 2016 as I was in a class and the classmates were communicating through it (before Groupme, SnapChat, etc.) It turned out practically my entire high school class was on it so I now have a connection with them, but I don't post. I go on it to check Marketplace (and sell - we have sold a lot of our junk on Marketplace) and I will catch up with what my old classmates are doing.

Best Facebook moment - The lawsuit for use of Biometrics in Illinois. Both my wife and I got a check each for $397 for doing face tagging. Didn't have to do anything but sign up. We also got our LG refrigerator settlement in the same week ($450) - was like pulling nails to get that one.

Not as hard as the Rheem Marathon Water Heater "lifetime" water heater. It lasted about 16 years, not bad but not what they advertised. A story for another day but the sweet taste of victory at the end when that check came in the mail (took almost eight months) was worth it.

#7604 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I feel uncomfortable being the grown up, responsible one.

Confess I have always been the responsible one. Not that my family is not, they are but I have always had a hard time just living life without worrying about the consequences. Even rediscovered pinball later in life because I had no time/funds etc. for a "frivolous" activity when I was younger. I think that means I am mellowing out. Looking forward to continuing the process. Certainly helps with road guides like JohnnyPinball007 and punkin and others here on pinside

#7616 1 year ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

I confess that for the first time seriously considering leaving the USA for good. Any suggestions?

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Ruling out Europe seems rather rash, given that most countries there and in places like Australia and New Zealand have a far better quality of life

Quoted from Ryguy80:

I confess I watch the YouTube videos where people are walking around city streets of different countries filming what they see. Kind of gives you a taste of what other countries are like.

Confess I like those videos too, it is interesting to try to get a feel for what the average lifestyle is like around the globe

When it comes to the best place to live, there is no list than would do justice to the question because the answer is always what is best for your circumstance. For instance, Most of the countries that have a higher quality of life in these lists have higher taxes, that is what creates a bigger middle class (which is what is really raising their averages). It also means that everyone has less material goods (things cost more, housing is smaller, less pinballs), which may or not be important to you, and things like health care are free (but the queues can be longer for certain things). I have healthcare through my military service (e.g. I earned it through service) so I understandable am less excited about paying for someone else's. Given the safety net in these countries, unemployment rates can be higher too, which you may or may not like, especially since you will probably be working as a requirement of entry.

I like having a large pinball collection, something that would be difficult at my income level in Europe. Conversely, cost of living is generally less in a country like Panama (which I have been to and find to be a very nice Central American country), but if you want a little more safety and security for said pinball collection, you are going to have to upscale (nicer neighborhood, gated community which equals more cost). You will find the services you need like cleaning, gardening etc. to be cheaper, but imported goods for a western lifestyle gets more pricey.

I personally think there are a lot of choices in the US for all kinds of lifestyles and requirements, and not just by changing states. I live in a high tax state (Illinois - always in the top 10 or higher for total tax burden). A big part of that is property tax - which is high across the state but ESPECIALLY in the Chicago Metropolitan Area. I would consider my home un-affordable in Chicagoland for both the cost to buy and the property tax - but I live in a rural county downstate and it is probably half or more of what I would pay in Chicago. The state also never taxed my Military income, and won't tax my 401K, SS, Military or Federal pensions.

My quality of life is pretty darn good. Only a little over an hour to downtown Saint Louis if we want to see a Cardinal's game. Only downside is 45 minutes to work on a rural highway with no real traffic.

#7619 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I liked most of your post, but this stood out. So to be clear, you are glad that others are paying for your healthcare, but are against you paying anything for others to have healthcare.

No, I am pointing out in my case, I made several sacrifices over 37 years (willingly) and earned healthcare as a result. It was part of my compensation for that sacrifice, just deferred compensation if you will. The contract with others was made when I joined (many others in emergency services and government have a similar contract) and yes, in the case of uncertainty of rising healthcare costs, I feel like I made a good choice (abet with some risks). I didn't say against paying others to have healthcare, just less excited. Just like someone would be less excited if they paid $14K for a Godzilla premium vs $9K. Still happy to have the Godzilla, just less excited. I don't tend to look at anything in absolute terms though like anyone, my worldview has been shaped by my our personal experiences. The point I was trying to make, though, is that everyone's circumstance is different and while generalities like best state, worse state etc. are interesting, the data set is way too coarse for any meaningful comparison.

and @swampfire's dry river bed looks nice.

1 week later
    #7732 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Confess, I've only entered one tournament in my life. Qualified for the playoffs without caring about it. Seemed like too many guys were way to serious about it.

Been in a lot of local tournaments over the last year, I think it has helped improve my gameplay. Have not seen the kind of behavior punkin described, pretty sure that would get an ejection. Some tilts (me too), some of the machines are set pretty sensitive, and that is ok. Confess I have been thinking about traveling somewhere for a tournament at a different location, but haven't yet.

2 weeks later
    #7931 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe get a cat instead? A lot less work.

Just got this new kitten - family consensus - kitten's are a lot of work! Ready for her to grow up all ready. Here is a (rare) calm moment.

Resized_20220627_204425 (resized).jpegResized_20220627_204425 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #8133 1 year ago

Confess I enjoyed reading a classic JohnnyPinball007 long confession post.

#8160 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I wonder if if I offered her $7500 she'd sell it to me? She fukn hates me and I hate her but $2500 is $2500

Quoted from punkin:

That's illegal here, called gazumping.

Maybe offer $7,500 to the buddy - he gets the lot for $5,000, makes $2,500 profit, and you don't deal with the lady. And you don't gazump, just straw dog

#8211 1 year ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I confess I hate Jimmy Johns,

Confess they have a new Thai Chicken Wrap I really like (especially the satay sauce). It isn't very big and it is $11 just for the sandwich though. I remember when a big Mac Meal at McDonalds was $3.24 and that was for a really long time during the early 1990s.

I confess I have taken to ordering just the sandwich at a lot of places and bringing a can of soda/bag of chips from the Sam's Club big box of chips instead of getting "the meal" with a watered down soft drink and fries I don't need the carbs or calories for. Saves a few bucks but mostly to make me feel better about this hyper inflation, like I am "beating the system". I have also noticed you can get a sit-down meal at mom and pop restaurants for about the same price as a "signature" fast food meal these days.

thai (resized).jpgthai (resized).jpg
    #8241 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I last shaved new year's eve 2020. Wife braided my goater tonight and just past my nips when pulled straight.

Confess with my recent military retirement, I tried growing out my hair and was trying a beard - but hated the feeling of both and went back to clean shaven and a military cut after just a couple of weeks. Going to try just letting it grow longer on the top of my head first, maybe a goatee later though not sure how it would look with all the gray hairs...

#8282 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

and have only owned Ford's since I was 20

Confess only had two foreign cars ever - Hyundai Santa Fe and Hyundai Sonata. No issues both were good vehicles but we prefer domestic ( have had lots of Fords, Dodge, Chevy). Well would you call a Mercury Mountaineer an import? My oldest daughter was hit and she got flipped in that. All airbags deployed and she walked away with a small scratch from broken glass. We like the solid feel of the domestic vehicles.

#8306 1 year ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I confess I am not allergic to poison ivy, but my wife is not so lucky.

I can get a rash now if I have a pretty good exposure but was pretty immune when I was young. My wife gets it just by looking at it. We always keep Zanfel in the house - this stuff really works but it is expensive.

1 week later
    #8404 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

You need one of these gammo's. 1000fps doesn't get shrugged off.

That is what I have, very effective. Requires a Firearms Owner Identification Card (FOID) in Illinois (over 700 FPS), just like a .22, AR or other long guns or any handgun.

#8453 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

No horror movies for me thanks

Confess I am also not a huge horror movie fan - suspenseful like "The Others" or "The Sixth Sense" yes - Jason, Freddie or Michael, not so much. I can watch John Wick mow people down all day, but don't care for the I am going to kill the innocent teenagers so much. Combatant vs non-combatant causalities I guess.

#8477 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

My recurrent bad dream has me late for a flight.

Missing a plane in your dream symbolizes you are being concerned that your plans won’t lead you to the fulfillment in your life that you thought about.

Dreams about being late are generally thought to mean you feel that you are about to lose an opportunity that will help you experience fulfillment in your waking life. You realize that time is running out if you want to accomplish this goal.

Strike any bells?

#8481 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’m always yelling at people trying to explain things to them in my dreams. What does that mean?

Trying to get people's attention is scared to be alone. But you are not alone, you have lots of friends here on Pinside.

It can also mean you are skeptical of dream interpretation and you love sarcasm or at least are very good at it

#8482 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I have occasional/reoccurring dreams of being chased by the police.

This means you probably have outstanding warrants.

#8509 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I liked when i had the grandkids in the back of my extra cab ute, squeezed into the bench seat, i could tap the accelerator and make their heads clunk against the back window.

My mom told me my grandfather would hit the brakes, reach over to my grandmother, put his had on her chest and say "take a bow" as she went forward. It was only later as adults they realized he was just copping a feel.

#8534 1 year ago

OK @johnnypinball007, I am not a dream expert, just pretty good at searching the internet but I will give them a try. FYI Dream interpretation is a little like reading your horoscope, IMO. Nothing unusual that I see in these dreams so I will post here instead of a PM btw.

1. Introducing ex-girlfriend to new girlfriend - past lovers are usually a sign telling you that you should not repeat past relationship mistakes with a new partner; sometimes first girlfriends in dreams sometimes mean regret over lost of first love or wondering how things might have been.
    2. Left gun in truck/left out of Dad's employees get-together. Being unprepared can mean fear of failure or you are just critically examining your performance in daily life; being left out/invisible sometimes means you feel no one notices your work and efforts.
    3. Found Money can mean self-confidence, power and self worth or a sense of wisdom and richness of life's pursuits. Finding money under adverse conditions (such as ganster's shooting at you) probably means an even deeper sense of self-confidence.
    4. and 5. flying, swimming/breathing underwater - same dream, really - either a sense of freedom and independence or a desire to escape from your current situation (I know, complete opposites).
    6. Drowning (dying) is fear of the unknown or anxiety about change, or feelings of being overwhelmed or having no control. People sometimes have this dream after losing someone/something important in your life that you can't get back.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional dream analyzer nor do I play one on T.V. and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

#8535 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm going back to college ast an adult, skip classes, try to make them up, and then realize I already have my degree, so who cares. It's like I'm afraid I never really finished.

School dreams are pretty common - as those years are pretty formative for all of us. Dreaming of not completing is different from the not preparing for a test dream. I have had very similar dreams like this myself such as I never completed high school so my college degrees were invalid. Open to interpretation multiple ways including questioning your self worth or maybe paths chosen, but the important part of your dream is you resolve it in the end, meaning whatever problem you were wrestling with in your subconscious has been dealt with.

And since I really did not complete any psychology degrees....

Charlie+Brown+Christmas+Lucy+psych+stand-1488985187 (resized).jpgCharlie+Brown+Christmas+Lucy+psych+stand-1488985187 (resized).jpg
    #8610 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I'll be one of the young guys at 58.

Looks like you will need a white shirt and slacks too

bowls (resized).jpgbowls (resized).jpg
    #8614 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Compare that to the USA where they have ten times our population and they have only 3,400 registered ten pin bowling alleys. If TV is any representation everyone in the US from Fred Flintstone to The Dude is playing bowls.

Bowling's peak was in the 1950s and 1960s when the automatic pin setters were introduced. It declined pretty significantly up to about 2017, where it started to grow again to about 68 million bowlers in 2018. Ironically, what was once considered a more blue collar sport has grown into more of an upscale experience in a lot of cities. I have bowled at Fulton Lanes in New Orleans (picture below) which is two blocks from the Convention Center and very upscale, but also at the little local lanes in my Hometown too. Within a 20-30 minutes of me is at least 5 Bowling Alleys in small towns. I think it is fair to say most Americans have bowled multiple times, though not in leagues.

Pinball is growing too, and though I have to go a little farther (not counting my basement), within an hour are at least three decent places, and several smaller ones. If I lived closer to St. Louis, that number doubles. I am within a reasonable travel distance of at least five leagues.

However, the fastest growing sport in the US is Pickleball, but at 5 million players it still has a way to go to catch bowling

Fulton Lanes (resized).jpgFulton Lanes (resized).jpg
    #8640 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I've never owned a suit. Don't have dress pants, dress shirt, blazer or tie.

I spent most of my career in suits or military uniforms. In the last five years though, my preferred work clothes are polos and beige slacks. I wear a softshell jacket in the fall and early spring to extend polo wearing season. I keep an "emergency" blazer, shirt and tie behind the door - only have to wear it a couple a times a year. I have several suits in my closet but not sure what I can comfortably fit into now...

1 week later
    #8739 1 year ago

If he gets cut, no kids at home, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Quoted from HooperTriplett:

Just dropped off my youngest at school yesterday.

Confess the first week our last child left for school, we ate out three times had nothing else to do it seems - no school events, games, no house full of her friends, nothing. After a while though, started getting things done at home so I was happy but the wife not so much. Then my youngest graduated from college and bought a house within 30 minutes from us (right on my way home from work). Now wife is happy and I am getting things done at the daughter's house, but not mine!

#8744 1 year ago

You are 30 mins away from your daughter, but still farther to work!?! wtf?

Yep, 45 minutes to work, easy rural highway. She wanted to be closer to the "city" but still lives on a rural 4 acre lot. Moved to a small town to raise our kids and live on a lake. Didn't want a vacation home to take care of, instead a longer pretty stress free drive. Commute in the City was 13 miles, 35 minutes of bumper to bumber traffic.

#8780 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One person in particular who helped us at the fair was amazing.

@ltg, a true JohnnyPinball007 post tonight!

#8805 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I've played spider solitaire on the computer every day for years as a basic brain exercise.

I used to play it a lot, as a little reward after getting some task done. About 10 years ago my youngest made a comment I played it too much. I said fine and have not played any of the computer games like cards or tetris or angry birds or any of the handheld games since. None on my phone either. I do spend a lotta of time on Pinside now but I consider this research

#8823 1 year ago
    Quoted from HooperTriplett:

I bought a mod for pin that I don't own. Or have ordered yet.

More common than you think - I have a Steve Gouveia Witch 2.0 waiting for a WOZ I won't be getting anytime soon...

#8861 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

As far as I know you are just added to a list somewhere.

Quoted from punkin:

Yeah no one ever tells me that my stalkee has done something.

https://pinside.com/pinball/connect/pulse

This will tell you what the pinsiders you are following are doing. I had to search for this, you can get to it from Community link at the top of the splash page, then go to the Follow-Worthy subheading. Click on Pinside Pulse link. Might be able to get to this another way, I don't know.

#8863 1 year ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Actually you can get to it directly by clicking on the pulse icon by your profile. (next to the bell)

Much easier!

#8865 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Any mods following you?

Hmmm, they are all mods...., think that means anything?

#8868 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Aztec Death Whistle

How have I gotten this far in life and not heard of this? Internet search confirms - scary stuff

#8889 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Total cost was around $3k. It was a lot of money for me then, but it made her really happy, and kind of erased my terrible proposal.

My wife's first wedding ring was $800 and had an inclusion in the diamond but I was a specialist in the Army at that time and it was all I could afford. Later, when we were better off, I talked her into letting me get here a better quality and bigger diamond, but she was resistant. I had to agree to use the same setting and put the old diamond into a necklace pennant. Now even later, I have asked if she wants an even bigger diamond and the answer is always no.

Anniversary is this month - 37 years.

#8894 1 year ago

I guess I never met the right one, because no way in hell could I be celebrating 37 years.

To confess, there have been a few times over the years I was not 100% sure I found the right one. She has always been 100% sure, maybe 110% during those few times, and that is what has kept us together. Bonus - she likes Pinball, and I agree with you @johnnypinball007, that is hard to find! If I could just get my kids to like it...

#8896 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

He's been in palliative care for 2 weeks now and Monday

My thoughts are with you and your family - it is a blessing you can spend this time with him.

#8917 1 year ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Hey Johnny, did you live together with any of these woman? Got to be careful of common law marriages!

Lucky for @johnnypinball007, Georgia used to have common law marriage, but the law ended on January 1, 1997. He is in the clear!

And though I doubt it would ever apply to me, Illinois doesn't allow common law marriage (since 1905!) so you and I would both be in the clear as well

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, just 10 states currently allow it in some form - Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Texas and Utah, Rhode Island and Oklahoma.

3 weeks later
    #9113 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No more than people meal in Soylent Green.

I have a T-shirt with this on-it. Not very many young folks get it, but the older crowd does. Favorite Movie Quote, Charlton Heston "Soylent Green is People!"

soylent-green (resized).jpgsoylent-green (resized).jpg
    #9218 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I confess that I have been feeling really down lately. Decisions made with good intent soon turned into very costly mistakes for which I simply cannot afford to fix. I blame myself of course..... I have no answers.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

Wife and I decided back in the spring we were going to go our separate ways.

Quoted from lowbeau67:

Right there with you.
    Going through the big D.

I feel bad for each of you and it is posts like these that make me wish there was another choice in buttons that thumbs up or thumbs down - please interpret my thumbs up as support for you as you navigate these trying times in your life.

2 weeks later
    #9378 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I hum Macho Man by the village people

I think you mean Nacho Man...

nachonachoman_thumb-3510080630 (resized).pngnachonachoman_thumb-3510080630 (resized).png
    #9410 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Anybody have an angel or faerie they believe in ?

Confess I don't believe in that kind of direct intervention, but for some reason I do believe in Karma, not in a "My Name is Earl" Karma is a deity kinda way, but more in a do the right thing and you will have good things happen to you kinda of way.

Also sometimes feel like luck is something that can vary in people as a personality trait but the formula for success is always 90% preparation and 10% luck - if you are prepared when luck happens, you can take advantage of it.

#9484 1 year ago

I do not want any gifts.

Confess I do like gifts, but I am super picky and so often am disappointed. Since I usually just buy myself what I want, I tell my family I am more concerned with the thought than went into the gift than the price tag. If they find something that I really would like (even if they just spotted it at a garage sale for $1), I like the idea that they really know me and understand what makes me tick. I don't need/want a gift just because they feel they are suppose to.

One gift I got was from my unit in the Guard when I left command. They found a Military themed Backglass from the 40's (Legionnaire) that had been mounted in a case. They backlit it and added the Unit Logo and some lasered text at the bottom. Just really thoughtful, combining my hobby with my military service, plus they had to find it (they knew nothing about pinball) go one state over to pick it up and put in some work to pull it together. A lot of thought went into it. Got it on the office wall at work, I smile every time I glance at it.

BG (resized).jpegBG (resized).jpeg
    #9521 1 year ago

In my lifetime, I have had to go to the doctor after a dog bite, and after a spider bite.

And the Cat scratch

#9572 1 year ago

I have not had a soda of any kind in over 25 years, probably close to 30 years now.

Confess I rarely drink alcohol, maybe 1-2 drinks a month - don't like the taste of beer, will drink a hard cider or occasionally an old fashion or white russian. I do, however, drink way too much soda, which can also be pretty bad for your health. I cut down from my younger days but still usually have three 12 oz cans a day, sometimes more on the weekend. I feel good except for the 20 extra pounds I would like to dump - which would be easy to do without the soda calories.

#9573 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I quit wearing them too.

Quoted from Becker34:

Kind of a case of "the same but different" for me not wearing watches anymore.

Same for me, got use to not wearing jewelry as a radio operator in my younger days in the army, even my wedding ring. The ring doesn't even fit now but I did tell my wife if she found me a new one I would wear it but I guess after all these years it isn't a priority for her. I did bend my watch rule for one of Ryan Claytor's Mr. Jones watch. I can't even read it without my glasses but it was too cool so I made an exception and wear it at work/when we are out.

watch (resized).jpgwatch (resized).jpg
    #9624 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Confess, I haven't played Galaga in years. Like riding a bike. Level 20 something. Crushed it

Quoted from EJS:

That’s awesome! I should go look at my high score tomorrow I haven’t looked in probably over a year. One of my favorite classic vids.

Confess Galaga was my favorite arcade game and I played it a lot in high school. And I was pretty good - turned the game over one afternoon skipping school at the local kids hang out - I was the only one in the place. Yelled to the waitress who was my age working on COOP to come and check it out as the points roll to 0 after 999,999,999 and I wanted a witness. The stages stayed, was something like stage 120. Played over an hour. Still nowhere near stage 255 (last stage), I think I just got tired after a while. I can still play pretty good today but not like that. I guess I was pretty excited because I still remember it. Being first on the leaderboard seemed pretty important back then.

1 week later
    #9696 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

My predecessor in this role let things slide and left a large amount of things overdue and unfinished.

Though this is a very tough situation to be in, it is also a great opportunity to make changes and improvements. If they are not asking the impossible (need $10 million on a $2 million budget etc.), I find this kind of challenge is extremely rewarding. Coming into a new job following a great manager/setup, there is nowhere to go but down.

My advice:
    1. Triage - identity top three issues to address first. Let the last guy own the less important unfinished work, etc.. There is usually a grace period where they can own the blame.
    2. Assess the employees you have. Even temp workers have good people, find them and elevate them as best you can within the rule structure. Identify your poor performers, and focus time on fixing them or moving them out.
    3. Find a mentor/mentors in the company or industry. Professional group, someone that has your job at another location. This will be a source of information AND people you can commensurate with. I speak with my counterparts at other universities every month, often I feel better about my situation after hearing what they are dealing with.

I would definitely stick it out for a fair trial unless you are really not supported/unethical behavior from your boss. If that is the case, they broke the "employment contract" first and you are justified to go.

Most importantly, good luck! You had confidence in your skills to take the job, and clearly you care so that is an excellent basis for success!

1 month later
    #10117 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Maybe xmas 2023 will be better.

I am sure it will be - Sincerest best wishes for a better 2023!

2 weeks later
    #10336 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

ice tea “half sweet, half unsweet”. I know the server really well, and she shot me a look that just said “this fucking guy”.

My wife's favorite drink. Order ice tea, half cut. Too easy.

#10347 1 year ago

Any chance you are going to seek medical help for this? Hope so, may need stitches.

1 week later
    #10467 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I do it old school. It’s how my dad taught me, his dad taught him, etc. Plus it’s way cheaper with a better shave!

Confess I tried this for a year, seemed like a little too much work for not much benefit. Still have all the stuff though, just in case I want to try it again.
    I use a gel now and like it, but made a mistake last time I needed a refile and thought I would save some $$ getting the Walmart equate brand instead of a name brand gel (two pack no less). This stuff sucks, noticeable different than the name brands. I refuse to throw away it away though, but I am almost done with the second can, then back to something good...

walmart (resized).jpgwalmart (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #10707 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

We waited 15 mins, rained cleared and we had a great day at bowls yesti.

Confess I love the names of things in Australia. Many of our place names came straight from England/Europe but you guys were like F that we are calling this Ward's Mistake and Moonee Beach and Billy's Creek and to hell with your New London and Manchester and Springfield (which we over 30 places called Springfield in the US).

1 week later
    #10813 1 year ago

Crap, 124 for me. Had no idea that much, but of course nothing like @ejs, JohnnyPinball007 or @punkpin. You guys have a lot to confess I guess

1 week later
    #10878 1 year ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

I think humans will likely blow each other up before society learns to do that

Well, we are are a critical time in human history, but we have always managed to dig ourselves out of the hole we dug ourselves into. BTW, I take heart in the fact that every end of world prediction in the past have been wrong from overpopulation causing famine and crop failure, nuclear holocaust, catastrophe climate change, super pandemics, meteors, zombies etc. etc. Certainly elements of these are real issues, but so far humanity has stepped up to solve the problems we often created in the first place.

Here are a few:

toilets/sanitization (in the 1800s between 5-10 percent of the big cities population died from cholera in three major waves)
    Small pox: eradicated (estimated to have wiped out as much as 95 percent of Native Americans when the Europeans first arrived)
    Green Revolution: the increased crop production around the world due to advances in science. Two examples: IR8 rice that increased rice yields by more than double; corn production in the US - 1930s - around 26 bushels per acre to 177 bushels per acre in 2021.
    Fusion energy: a major advancement this year that could lead to an energy revolution

Oh, and I confess I worry about it too sometimes, but agree with @punkin, history tells us things are slowly getting better. It is just not a linear path, it has its ups and downs.

4 weeks later
    #11111 1 year ago

Confess I thought you guys were fully metric but after seeing this and reading a Wikipedia article I understand now it did not fully "take". You rebels ...

#11163 1 year ago
    Quoted from prl867:

college aged kiddos are mainly entitled spoiled snowflakes.

Quoted from punkin:

Funny how the world keeps slowly getting better though.

Confess I find a little bit of truth in both these statements. Hard to argue that the world is not getting better (average life expectancy going up over the last 200 years is a good indicator), though it sometimes seems like we are always in a race to fix what we screwed up before it kills us. And yes, sometimes it seems like the younger generations are more concerned with how they feel than solving these problems. Luckily, it won't take all of them, just need enough of the highly focused ones with the right tools (and lets hope the tools e.g. AI won't kill us either )

2 weeks later
    #11354 11 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Pigeon move by customer or not?

Confess I don't know what Pigeon move means - is that like a d**k move? If so, only if the kid is not a good hire and they knew it before. Otherwise your biggest customer has got to be an important customer for your company as well. Win-win.

1 week later
    #11472 11 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

everybody likes air hockey!

Whenever I see an air hockey table I think of Kelly Leak in Bad News Bear hustling Amanda (Tatum O'Neal) for a date, check out those pins in the background!

amanda (resized).pngamanda (resized).pngkelly leak (resized).pngkelly leak (resized).png
    1 month later
    #11619 10 months ago

Confess Fall is my favorite season. Cooling off from the hot summer, leaves changing colors, days getting shorter, the smell of fallen leaves.

1 month later
    #11823 8 months ago

Confess I worry about punkin a little bit. I think he gets himself hurt on a bi-monthly basis.
    #trytostayalivePunkin

1 month later
    #12006 7 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Since China stopped taking plastic, it does end up in the lanfill.

China still takes plastic, but with stricter separation requirements that limits the economics of sending it there. Landfill Mining will be the next big thing:

https://www.wastedive.com/news/landfill-mining-challenges-costs-benefits-aei/582026/
    https://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2016/finalwebsite/solutions/landfill.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_mining

In the U.S., there are over 1,250 active landfills, down from almost 7K in the 1990s along with thousands of other closed landfills. Billions of tons of steel, copper, plastic, e-waste, etc. and the recovery of which will be accelerated as we figure out better ways to recycle our waste that Asian countries won't take anymore. Oh, and at a landfill somewhere in New York, a bunch of pinball machines smashed up by LaGuardia

4 weeks later
    #12134 6 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't bought beef jerky in ages.

Confess I cannot eat beef jerky - when I was a young boy scout on a survival camp out, all I had to eat for 48 hours was some home made beef jerky my scoutmaster made - barely edible and to this day when I try to eat jerky I feel like I am going to gag. That was almost 50 years ago. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little just now thinking about it.

#12138 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This thread makes me want to make some Biltong again. I did a few batches 3 years ago and haven't made it since. Better than jerky IMO.

Confess I didn't know what that was, had to look that up. Just ordered some from Amazon to try - it may be just enough different from jerky to overcome my gag reflex.

#12140 6 months ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Ordering meat from Amazon? I confess to never doing that lolol.

Don't you know Amazon is THE go to place for ordering anything...

https://www.rd.com/list/strange-things-amazon/

1 week later
    #12197 5 months ago

I've probably only had that (maple syrup) a handful of times in my life. Its hilarious how others view Canadians for the most part. ( i bet Aussies feel the same way)

can aus (resized).jpgcan aus (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #12313 3 months ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Confession: Leather furniture sucks

Confessed stopped getting leather car seats a long time ago. They were cold in the winter and were hard to take care of. They also did not look good after a few years, especially along the edges. Today's cloth seats seem hold up much better than they use to.

#12328 3 months ago
    Quoted from punkin:

but i find the US citizens have a hard time understanding my bluntness.

The internet (and Pinside) makes the world smaller, that is a good thing. We are all more alike than different. Though I don't always agree with everything you say, I appreciate you and your viewpoint. And from one small town boy to the other, I am pretty sure if I was visiting the East Coast of Australia, I would be welcomed in for a visit, as would you if you are ever in the US Midwest

3 months later
    #12527 17 days ago

Watched some game play on Abba. It looked ok, confess I would like to play it. However, don't think it will be sitting next to my Aliens anytime soon. My wife and daughters always like Mama Mia with music by Abba, and I have seen that enough to know most of the songs.

2 weeks later
    #12563 7 hours ago
    Quoted from punkin:

If there is one thing i am grateful for, it's not being born in a time when we had to put our hand up. I know what my decision would be if the whistle blew, but i'm glad i didn't have to make it, and honour those who made i for me.

I served closely with your soldiers in Afghanistan. Professional troops, everyone of them. Proud to be allies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional?tu=ReadyPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.