New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 61230)

The confessional

By swampfire

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,832 posts
  • 582 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 162 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pg1 (resized).jpg
f6c2816e-02c8-44b5-89e3-ab5fdda7ac55.1851b6539981ac945b898da8b44aee1c (resized).jpeg
IMG_0465 (resized).JPG
Johnny-5-iPad (resized).png
239D1284-E185-402F-B9BC-081D001BE2C1 (resized).jpeg
goodfellas_057pyxurz (resized).jpg
58F01B32-1B0C-45E3-A98F-157BA85AF176 (resized).jpeg
breath4 (resized).jpg
breath1 (resized).jpg
62F5DD1E-FB06-4136-BFD6-A0AA34F8C3D7 (resized).jpeg
BE5CCB7C-C9B2-44DF-90A1-7A1EFCDB159B (resized).jpeg
36BD3AFD-1F22-4B6C-A855-01C5BB6FC76A (resized).jpeg
PradaCR (resized).JPG
900D1903-A9E6-402C-A3FC-E50981B1B164 (resized).jpeg
leg5 (resized).jpg
leg4 (resized).jpg

There are 2832 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 57.
#2451 65 days ago

I enjoy powering on an EM and pushing start just to listen to the “clackety-clack” of the score reels resetting as the game is coming to life. Music....sweet music.

#2452 64 days ago

My girlfriend is back from her trip and I have been too tired to post much.

And I confess I was ready for her to get out of here for a few days, and now I am glad she is back.

Anyway, I have never been into any of that lol crap. Forever I thought that stood for lots of love.

Forever I thought PITA was just someone had misspelled the word pity.

I guess that is why so many of my posts are long, I type the same as I speak.

If talking in person anyone ever said lol or any of that, I would just roll my eyes and walk off.

I can tolerate it a tad more now when reading posts here, because I like 99.9% of everyone here. I don't hate anyone here.

But still, when I see a lol or any of that stuff I immediately think of a 16 year old girl for some reason. (and she was very cute).

And not saying which topic, but weird a topic I was enjoying reading suddenly disappeared. I was going to add something to it, and all traces are gone.

And looking back at most of what I just typed I suddenly heard the voice of Andy Rooney, I used to love him on 60 minutes.

Anyway, I hope everyone here is ok after Laura hit. The last I heard 4 dead, all from falling trees. And even one is bad, but as bad as that storm was that is very good that most people are ok. I just heard the storm moved a tad east right when it hit, and that helped a lot of people with less storm surge than predicted.

I also hope Prada had plenty of belly rubs today and LTG and everyone else had a awesome day!

#2453 64 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I also hope Prada had plenty of belly rubs today

She just had three good ones in a row. Thank you.

LTG : )

#2454 64 days ago

I bought Dialed In NIB and sold it after 6 months - I just wasn't having much fun playing it. I suspect it's because I'm a terrible player and my ball times were too short.

#2455 63 days ago

I was going to confess that I thought it would be funny to leave a post about yourself in the Say Something Nice About The Last Poster In This Thread, but I just did that, so now I wonder if this is a confession, or a admission of guilt now?

#2456 63 days ago

And a big confession now.

90% of the time when I make a long rant, it is because I needed to be in bed a hour ago, but my mind keeps thinking "just one more beer, not ready for bed yet, lets type some more".

And I know people that do not enjoy any alcohol will label me as a alcoholic, and that is fine, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I keep a open mind now, and try to never label anyone anything.

Not long ago I was not that way. But now I will always try to be as PC as I can.

And I confess I hope O-din reads this, I miss him, he is so funny.

But I know, I would read some of his posts and think "no, chill out, tone down, please stop before you get in trouble".

And I may have said it before, but pretty much O-din topics are what caused me to get hooked on the forums in the first place. (and then I found this awesome topic).

Before all that I was just here as a non-member reading the top 100 and comments.

And I 100% confess, that at first I only became a member here to be able to sell a game here if I ever tired of it.

Now I can not get enough of this site. O-din hooked me.

Damn, the last few days not much in Dogs Rule, I love the dog pics. I do plan to get another one eventually. But I still have to work out how to keep it safe from the damn coyotes that got our last one. WE will never get over that, that dog was the best ever.

And I will always thank LTG for advice he gave me here. (and he needs to post some more funny stories, like his friends have told him, he has lived a awesome life).

And to anyone that does not enjoy a few beers, or whatever else, please keep in mind I am trying to be entertaining on here, I do not drink and drive, and I can afford the Natty still(too poor now for Bud Select). (joking).

I wish everyone here the best always!

(I have a vision of fireworks going off now).

#2457 63 days ago

post some more funny stories

Early 1980's drove three hours to Duluth, MN. Heading up the coast of Lake Superior to do some fishing at an inland lake with a friend.

Get to a bar/restaurant in Duluth known for great ribs. Told it would be a three hour wait. No problem, well worth the wait. Went upstairs and sat on the deck over looking the shipping channel and had what ever tall drink that was popular back then. ( Harvey Wallbanger ? )

45 minutes later go back downstairs and asked the hostess if we had a table yet. She said no. She had brownies, I asked for one, another no. She asked if we were on vacation I said yeah, want to come with us ? She said the only place she'd go with us was to Jamaica. So I asked if we could drive there from here. She found us a table.

I don't recall much after that. There was more drinking and plenty of ribs.

Next thing I know I'm going north on 61 doing 85 miles an hour on the wrong side of the road near the old location of Betty's Pies. There was a T intersection and a highway patrol car came flying up to the intersection on my left. He stopped. I slammed on my brakes and slid to a stop in front of him. Sobering up pretty quick as I start recalling what is going on, looking at getting arrested, DUI, truck impounded, and probably not going fishing. Not to mention fines and insurance going way up.

The highway patrol guy stared at me. I stared at him. Just then these hard core bikers wearing cuts came flying by and all of them flipped the highway patrol guy off and sped off.

The highway patrol guy shook his fist at me and took off after them. I got back over in the right lane. And drove like an angel the rest of the way to Grand Marais.

Had a nice couple days fishing and went home. I've always been thankful for those nice biker guys.

#2458 63 days ago

I confess I don't really read these long blurbs here. I just kinda skim over it, then upvote it.

#2459 62 days ago

I also confess that I have never once in my life used amazon. Seriously.

#2460 62 days ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

I also confess that I have never once in my life used amazon. Seriously.

Since 2002 I have purchased one DeWALT cordless drill, 4-5 music CD's, and around 30 DVD's on Amazon.

Since 2002 I have sold over 50,000 CD's, DVD's, and books on Amazon.

It is getting to be a pain selling there now, but still better than the other place and having to deal with paypal crap.

#2461 61 days ago

This thread should really be renamed johnnypinball007’s confessions.

#2462 61 days ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

How about we replace confessions with musings.

#2463 61 days ago

I confess, or muse, that after not playing much except Golden Tee all year I now suck at pinball. (it didn't help that OKT was having weird issues just now).

#2464 61 days ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Maybe he could start his own thread...

“Deeper Thoughts by johnnypinball”, sponsored by Natty Light

#2465 61 days ago

Since 2002 I have sold over 50,000 CD's, DVD's, and books on Amazon.

50,000??? That's an average of over 7 a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 18 straight years. That sounds almost hard to believe. What kinds of prices are you getting on CD's and DVD's? What kinds of books do you sell? I can see you selling a good amount of DVD's 10+ years ago, and maybe some CD's 15 years ago, but I'd think CD's and DVD's, you'd be lucky to sell 100 total in the last 2 years.

I got about 500 DVD's to sell and I got some quotes from local resale places, under a quarter each. Come on, I was hoping to at least get a dollar. But I don't know how to sell on anything buy ebay.

Can you email me and give me some advice? Is selling on Amazon really that much better than selling on ebay?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@ameritech.net

#2466 61 days ago

I confess that I love giving a thumbs up anytime I can.

Sometimes if a comment was not great and I skipped giving a thumbs up, I actually go back and give a thumbs up.

I am 100% neutral, and just having a good time, and I never want anyone to think "well, he never gives me a thumbs up, but he always gives so and so a thumbs up".

#2467 61 days ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Maybe he could start his own thread...

“Deeper Thoughts by johnnypinball”, sponsored by Natty Light

I did that for a while. It was called The Long Rant Thread.

I deleted it after one night I made a long one too personal about a business deal I was getting into.

And I may start another rant thread eventually, I just gave too much info that time.

#2468 61 days ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

50,000??? That's an average of over 7 a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 18 straight years.

About 1-3 a week now, and only still running because I have tons left. Most all I have is out of print and fairly rare. Each sale is mainly between 8.99 and 79.99, with the 79.99 being the few Defranco CD's I have left.

So far this year I have only spent $277.10 in postage.

Back around 2005 I was mailing a average of 60 items a day, and spending a average of $40,000.00 a year at the Mableton post office, and I was getting special treatment when I walked in.

Even now the few that are still at that post office just light up when they see me on rare occasion now and say "Johnny! How have you been!"

When I was mailing 400+ items a week I was bringing it all in the back on my own cart in their tubs. They gave me a scanner to scan all my items in. They gave me a red or black ink stamp to cancel the stamps I put on my packages, and I knew where everything went by zip code. (I never messed with the print your own stamp label stuff).

Anyway, every week I would send a email to the supervisor for a stamp order, it would be like:
800 - $1.00 stamps
400 - .05 stamps
400 - .01 stamps
Because back then most of my orders were $2.06 each to mail.

AND THANK GOD WHEN ALL STAMPS WENT TO SELF STICK AND I NEVER HAD TO LICK ANOTHER STAMP!

(and you can totally contact anyone that left me feedback after I sold them a game and they will tell you I am laid back and wear cool beach shirts).

And as far as the shirt thing, everyone at the post office loved the cool shirts I wore. Even now they still talk about all that.

My girlfriend hates the fact I wear Hawaiian shirts all the time, but I just tell her something about the material in other shirts gives me a bad rash so I have to wear these.

(part 2 coming up, need another Natty).

#2469 61 days ago

(part 2 coming up, need another Natty).

I do not mess with this anymore, or I would not tell you.

Back in the days from 1995-2012 the post office auctions right in my backyard were DAMN awesome!

I was buying all these tubs of CD's and DVD's and books. And putting them on ebay and amazon.

And early on VHS was still good also, some Columbia House VHS tapes that were Bugs Bunny or whatever would sell for $240.00 for one, while I just paid on average $900.00 for a whole tub of stuff at auction.

At one time around 2001 the post office tried to make more and do ebay themselves, sucked, but at the same time I had a friend that worked for K-Tel, and they were going bankrupt, and I bought all their inventory for pennies on the dollar.

I was so pissed that the post office auctions were messed up, but it turned out to be a major blessing, because the K-Tel stuff in the end was so rare and I was able to get better prices.

I did meet my best friend during the post office auction days. He lives in Buffalo, NY and last summer me and my girlfriend hung out with him at Niagara Falls and even my girlfriend was amazed how cool he is. (off subject but his wife is a bitch and did not join us).

And while I was mailing a average of 60 items a day, sometimes as high as 180 in a day, I also had a construction company with one part time helper, operating backhoes mostly installing storm drains at most Burger Kings, Eckerd Drug Stores, and whatever else about that size at the time.

Sometimes I would get home at 10pm from doing construction, check my email and see i had 60 orders.

Get done with those 60 orders around 1am or so. Get up at 5am and go to the post office. (I could get in anytime after 4am to the back, back then), and be on a construction site again by 7am.

I am so glad those days are over for me.

BUT, and I hope all of you are doing awesome and do not even need this advice, but for a while now the post office has been letting a company called govdeals.com handle their auctions.

I think to get to those you click "recovered items"?

I never messed with it, I hated those people and the way they came in there and I was going to have to pay another 10% or whatever so they could get a piece of the pie.

AND, technology killed so much of all this anyway.

For a long while a rare VHS would sell for 240.00 on ebay all day long. THEN here comes DVD and kills most of that.

Same with cassette tapes, cd's, dvd's, everything. Technology killed everything. Killed record stores, book stores, Blockbuster! Border!

Suddenly no need to go buy at a store or online, I can just DOWNLOAD anything I want.

Quoted from joemagiera:

I got about 500 DVD's to sell and I got some quotes from local resale places, under a quarter each. Come on, I was hoping to at least get a dollar. But I don't know how to sell on anything buy ebay.

10-15 years ago 500 good DVD's would have been $3000.00+.

Now, almost worthless.

I know and it sucks. I miss the good old days myself.

And those Defranco Cds I still have left on amazon for 79.99, they are on ebay for 199.99. Same as most of what I have left over. Ports of the heart I have on Amazon 8.99, on ebay 14.99.

BUT, to buy all this I got a whole lot of crap also that went straight to the dump, so to tell the whole story, when I do sell something for good money, it makes up for the crap I also had to take in the deal.

Recently a buyer asked if I would take 30.00 for a DVD I have listed for 59.99.

I said no, I still have 1200 of this other DVD in stock that was in that deal and I have to cost average out to make a profit.

(and I was lowest price on that DVD at 59.99. I think the next lowest price is 199.99).

So just think about that in terms of pinball machines.

I have some stuff for sale for 59.99 to 79.99 on Amazon, and on ebay and Amazon others are asking 199.99 because of rarity.

And I confess at this point whatever I get is all profit. But at the same time I will take that profit myself for all the work I have done and not get suckered into someone else just looking to make a quick buck off me.

Kind of like my rental houses, I get a average of 10 junk letters in the mail weekly someone wanting to buy one of my houses.

I AM NOT RICH, but I can stay up a tad late and have a few Nattys and sleep late the next day.

UNLESS my girlfriend is here, she gets pissed when I spend too much time on Pinside.

And I did suck at pinball while ago, but I had a great time.

And if anyone reading this wants to try post office auction govdeals stuff and amazon and whatever else, just never mention me to anyone you meet. It was always kind of a bond we would never advertise and bring anyone else into this.

I highly advise against any of that, but it did work for me for a while, if you are desperate or just looking to goof off, have fun, you will not see me there, I retired from that place.

#2470 61 days ago

I confess I read every JohnnyPinball007 post

#2471 61 days ago

I confess that I love giving a thumbs up anytime I can.
Sometimes if a comment was not great and I skipped giving a thumbs up, I actually go back and give a thumbs up.
I am 100% neutral, and just having a good time, and I never want anyone to think "well, he never gives me a thumbs up, but he always gives so and so a thumbs up".

Same. I also appreciate your thumbs up as well. It's the little things that can make a difference. I always try to catch new users and give them some positive feedback if I can.

Problem with internet is they let just about anyone on it (look at me) so you'll find some negativity and with enough people there will always be difference in opinion.

Earlier this year I enabled "keep it positive" with only showing thumbs up option.

Pro tip, your mood actually improves if you turn off the percentage display on your phone. I've done this and it works.

#2472 61 days ago

You can fix all that by just not looking at it too.

#2473 60 days ago

If anyone here ever does try the post office auctions, or any auction or new business for that matter, just please be careful, and stick with things you already have a lot of knowledge about.

And while ago in another thread LTG was AWESOME!, he told someone never ever even try to start your own business if you do not have funds saved you can survive on for at least a year, in case things do not go the way you planned.

I always thought I was doing ok, I have never been rich, and not even trying to get rich, (but just enjoy life as much as I can), anyway, that 2008 stuff hit me hard.

2008 I had 3 mortgage payments on 3 rental houses and a sorry property manager and sorry tenants and a long distance girlfriend that took too much of my time.

To this day I do miss that gal, but I could not keep staying out of town at her awesome place, I had to be right here taking care of my business, I was getting close to losing everything, just to keep her happy.

At one point I was about ready to let my places go, and try to buy others. Everything sucked and was just depressing.

Damn 2008. Better houses than what I already had 80k loans on were selling for 50k.

I confess I am glad I never took the easy way out and just went bankrupt or whatever.

The path I chose has made what little hair I have left all gray, but all is worth it now.

I am happy and content now. And again by no means am I rich.

I do not need any of that, I do not need a mini mansion in a gated community.

My newest vehicle is a 2005 GMC Yukon I bought with 129,000 miles on it. (and damn it is nice, even has a sunroof I have never used) $6500.00

Unless you just have tons of money you will never use and want to waste, or a business and doing awesome and need a tax write off, there is no reason to blow 80k or whatever on a pick-up truck, suv, or any car.

Save that car money and retire earlier, or at least semi-retire earlier.

I am glad I was frugal enough to semi-retire long ago, and pick and choose what I want to do now.

I confess I have been using this virus stuff making excuses to my biggest customer that I want to be left alone.

His response: can you help me install a underground backflow preventer next week.

Me: ok, I will be there.

And I confess that even though I hate like hell to have to get up at 5am to help Eric, as long as he keeps being nice, and fun to be around, yeah, I will keep helping him.

It is not even like a job or even working for someone else.

Eric is self employed like I am, and sometimes asks me to help him for a while. and he is fun to be around and he pays good. I bill him 4 times a year, some customers I bill monthly, one I bill yearly.

And very funny that some people only know me as doing construction, and when I mention when it comes up I get paid 4 times a year from that work, it blows their mind.

I have heard this many times: "you are unique, how many people that do work like that can go 3 months without getting paid, most get paid on Friday and are broke on Monday".

Well, I also have 3 rental houses, and other businesses, and try to stay frugal but at the same time try to have as much fun as I can.

And I confess I am finally tired of paying 7k for a nib pin, and after 800-1600 plays selling it here for 5500-6000. (except I did make money on the JJPPOTCSE. and I actually do feel guilty from making a profit on a pin).

After up to 7-8 pins, and making room for more, I downsized to 2, and have been just totally going after variety, and variety is working great.

Big Buck Hunter is on a truck headed here now. I have never seen one, I have never played one. I seen comments here about it and talked to some friends, and they lit up and said it is a awesome game, and they were right about Golden Tee, so here I go again.

And yeah, the Natty talking now, but if anyone likes the Simon Birch movie, I am a tad like that, just not quite that small. He was eager to help and give advice, I try to also.

The last couple of days I noticed a pattern with my neighbor. I feared the worst, he is a tad big and his work has a lot of stress and I feared he had died. I called, emailed, and I was about ready to call the cops or something when he emailed back that yes he has been very sick for a few days.

Later we talked on the phone and just talking he seemed to feel a lot better.

And I confess, anytime I see that mail thing jumping on here, I instantly think, shit, what did I do that the mods are after me.

The last time it jumped it was the tracking # for Big Buck Hunter!

I am just here for fun, trying to entertain, and help when I can. I kind of always figure I will get in trouble for being so long in some of my posts.

Sorry for another long post, I confess I will try to not type so much again.

#2474 60 days ago

Sorry for another long post, I confess I will try to not type so much again.

I confess I don't believe you, it's not like there is a nation wide shortage of Natty Light (yet) ,
Keep posting as often and long as you like, I for one enjoy reading them.

#2475 59 days ago

I have two confessions from before I was born.

My Mother had a small cafe on Spring Street in Minneapolis right after WW2. The operator ( later my Father ) had the juke box and two Victory Derby pinball machines in there, back to back.

Now this cafe had a few cooks and some waitresses, way more help than needed. The two gambling pinball machines were paying for everything.

One day the operator was there doing something. A new waitress was complaining about the pinball machines and was on my Mother to get them out of there. The operator immediately left and came back a little later and had a new record for the juke box - There Are Going To Be Some Changes Made Around here by Ernest Tubb and put it on and played it. Yup that was the waitresses last day. My Mother didn't know the operator had a sense of humor.

All the people involved in this one are long dead, so I think it's safe to say. My Mother went in one morning, probably around 4am to start setting up for the breakfast rush. She found all the nickel trays empty. Didn't bother to find out if there was a break in or anything. She called the operator and told him the nickels were gone and to get more there. ( ops in those days had lots of sacks of nickels ). She started opening up and found the cash register full of paper money. What ? If there had been a break in that would have been easier than lugging $500 to $800 worth of nickels out.

The op comes in bringing a couple sacks of nickels, and tools and stuff figuring the games had been broken into. He found them okay and opened them up. Those tall cash boxes were full of nickels. My Mother and the operator are wondering what the heck happened ?

Later one of the waitresses came in and was talking to my Mother. She told my Mother that she and her boyfriend were in there last night after the cafe closed and played pinball all night. You could keep putting in nickels to increase the payouts or something good, then shot your one ball. They kept buying nickels and playing, she put the cash in the cash register for the nickels. They had fun but never won.

My mother never told the waitress that before she left she pulled the win on both machines so you couldn't win.

Ahh, the good old days.

#2476 59 days ago

I used to own an Adams Family and sold it because I thought the shots sucked.

#2477 59 days ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

I used to own an Adams Family and sold it because I thought the shots sucked.

The shots on TAF don't suck, but its definitely an overrated game, imo.

#2478 59 days ago

Got reminded of another story.

I was working at the shooting range my father ran at the state fair about 1967. Next building north of us was a lunch counter and the building next to it on the corner was an arcade.

Now on the north side of the arcade back then was a carnival race game. You hit a wooden paddle which in turn launched a ball around the inside of a wooden box. Each time the ball landed the thing racing ( changed every year, horse, rabbit, or car ) advanced one space going left to right on a huge track behind the counter. So you kept hitting it to try and get the ball around faster and faster and win the race. 1st place got X number of tickets, 2nd and 3rd got something too. This race thing was a good dozen people wide.

One day a man was getting close to having enough tickets to get one of the big prizes. So the man running it told his son to go around back and pull the win feature on that mans race. The next race started. And they're off. The announcer egging them on, the people flipping the balls faster and faster. On and on they went. Until the finish line. Not a single thing crossed the finish line. The son pulled the win on the whole game. The players soon figured out what was up and just started pointing to the prizes they wanted. What a disaster. Cleaned out the big prizes.

Afterward the man brought his son over to us and wanted us to put him to work in the shooting range. No way, we wouldn't take that clown.

So the man found his son a new job. Sit on a stool every day all day at the cafe and drink coffee. So he could keep an eye on him. Nobody would take him. So that was his job for the rest of the fair from opening to close.

I didn't see him around the next year.

#2479 59 days ago

Thanks LTG!

That was a awesome story!

Before I seen that I was just going to goof off and say "damn that JohnnyPinball007 guy sure makes long posts".

And I confess when I do make a long post I re-read it about 4 times before hitting the send button.

If I see anything that may be a no-no I delete.

I love Pinside and everyone here, and I do not want to get "frozen" out of it.

I just made a long post somewhere else, and it is true what I said there.

I am a workaholic, and Natty chills me out so I can have some fun.

I do not trust drugs(I probably need some, but I do not trust them), but I do trust Natty to wind me down and relax.

And I confess I hope Lloyd enjoys typing his stories as much as I enjoy reading them.

And someday I want to do a road trip and hang out with him and Prada.

And if LTG and a few others are ever in my area, no need to get a motel, I have 3 extra beds here, and a variety of games.

After this virus stuff chills out though.

For now the only person I get within 6 feet of is my girlfriend, and she was already a germaphobe before all this mess hit.

And I confess, and I may have said it before, while this virus sucks, I do like the distancing at the stores. It used to get old these people bumping into me while I was standing still.

And has been very nice that I have not even caught a cold or anything else this year, because I have been careful.

I confess I wish everyone here the best always!

#2480 59 days ago

My pleasure.

Thinking of the state fair reminded me of another cast of characters from back then.

#2481 59 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Got reminded of another story.

And it was a great story also! Please keep sharing!

I was making a long rant at the same time you were telling another story.

I know you are here so much helping everyone, and you have your own business to tend to, but isn't it nice to just unwind and type a fond old memory.

#2482 59 days ago

I ran out of deodorant early on when we were at stay at home orders and started using my wife deodorant.
Still using it now.
Fuck it.

#2483 59 days ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I ran out of deodorant early on when we were at stay at home orders and started using my wife deodorant.
Still using it now.
Fuck it.

The deodorant that I have used for years suddenly started giving me weird rashes, and I used my girlfriends for a while.

(the secret) is still there if I need it, but so far this AXE has been ok.

I have no clue what happened to Old Spice, but I was getting some nasty painful and itchy rashes for a while after all was good for 40 years.

And weird, but about the same time my girlfriend had problems and had to switch.

And yeah, I know your problem was ran out, but reminded me about issues that were also going on with this stuff all of a sudden.

#2484 59 days ago

The deodorant that I have used for years suddenly started giving me weird rashes, and I used my girlfriends for a while.
(the secret) is still there if I need it, but so far this AXE has been ok.
I have no clue what happened to Old Spice, but I was getting some nasty painful and itchy rashes for a while after all was good for 40 years.
And weird, but about the same time my girlfriend had problems and had to switch.
And yeah, I know your problem was ran out, but reminded me about issues that were also going on with this stuff all of a sudden.

That’s interested.
I had a similar experience.
For years I used gel deodorant and then all of the sudden it was causing a rash.
Basically anything with alcohol in it.
Now I just use white deodorants, no more gels.

#2485 59 days ago

I confess that yellow jackets always sting me at least 2 times, most of the time a lot more.

It happens like this:

I will be in the yard with a weed eater doing trim work, and get too close to a nest I did not know was there.

First sting "CRAP, WHAT WAS THAT"?

Then by the second sting I know to start running.

#2486 59 days ago

Confession wrung from me that yesterday at the age of 56 i put product in my hair for the first time ever.

Got a hair cut the day before and the barber put wax in my hair (first time i've moved away from a crew cut in 30 years) and she explained how to use it. bought some and tried it. I like it.

Was just not the done thing for a bloke when i was young and then i went to crew cut.

#2487 59 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

Confession wrung from me that yesterday at the age of 56 i put product in my hair for the first time ever.

Got a hair cut the day before and the barber put wax in my hair (first time i've moved away from a crew cut in 30 years) and she explained how to use it. bought some and tried it. I like it.

Was just not the done thing for a bloke when i was young and then i went to crew cut.

I have been shaving my head for over 20 years now.

I used to go to the beach a lot, and it was starting to get thin. I had 2 choices, wear a hat, and I used to hate hats, or use sunscreen.

Sunscreen just made my hair look oily so I started shaving my head.

And my hair was all gray by 35 anyway, so I look younger with my head shaved.

And lately because I never go anywhere I have been lazy and not shaving my head, and my girlfriend is getting ticked.

#2488 59 days ago

I confess that yellow jackets always sting me at least 2 times, most of the time a lot more

I got stung over a hundred times by mud wasps. I stopped counting at 100. It was hard to tell with all the swelling. More showed as it subsided. I was walking down a dock carrying a small boat engine. There was no running away. I got stung strictly in my calves and ankles. They ended up swelling to about the same size as my thighs. I was told if I get stung by mud wasps again I could potentially develop an allergy.

#2489 58 days ago

And I may start another rant thread eventually, I just gave too much info that time.

“that time”

#2490 58 days ago

Sorry no rant from me tonight, she is waiting on me.

#2491 58 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Later one of the waitresses came in and was talking to my Mother. She told my Mother that she and her boyfriend were in there last night after the cafe closed and played pinball all night. You could keep putting in nickels to increase the payouts or something good, then shot your one ball. They kept buying nickels and playing, she put the cash in the cash register for the nickels. They had fun but never won.

My mother never told the waitress that before she left she pulled the win on both machines so you couldn't win.

I love the magic of one-ball gambling pins. But the story also doesn't quite add up... My friends have found many an operator hack on one-balls and bingo machines, but they wouldn't just "pull the win" functionality. Winning on a one-ball isn't that hard, it's not some rare event (purely random, it'd be greater than 1/7,) so they would notice right away if their easy wins paid nothing.

Often times on these machines operators would disable certain features or make things impossible. Like on this 1949 Champion https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3008&picno=76300&zoom=1 you have a special carry-over feature where if you get A-B-C-D lit (this carries over between games) you get a special purse. On my friend's, A-B-C were always lit, and D's switch was disconnected, meaning you'd always entice players with the close jackpot, but that didn't pay.

this ad for Victory Derby says it has a "Spell Name" feature https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2735&picno=5645&zoom=1 which is definitely the kind of thing operators liked to mess with, but in none of the pics do I see a "Big build-up reserve" that is advertised, which would usually be a separate visible counter. (it wasn't unheard of for ad copy to not match production specs)
but here are the instruction cards for Champion which explains the Spell Name feature: https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3008&picno=74405&zoom=1

It's also easy enough to snip/modify the mixers inside which make the odds difficult/impossible to step up to the higher levels.
But if the game just didn't pay out, it'd be as enticing as walking up to a machine with flippers and finding the flippers didn't work.

~~~~~~

One thing to note about machines like Victory Derby is that they preyed on the USA Government's War Bonds program, and earned lots of disdain for sometimes confusing people about where the money was going. See this ad: https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2735&picno=46191&zoom=1 "Back the attack... Buy U.S. War Bonds" WW2 had ended by that time, but still, that was after a couple year of coin-op manufacturers taking flak for co-opting war fundraising efforts.

anyways, if anyone else loves these, check out http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/02/niche-collections-craigs-one-ball-horse.html

#2492 58 days ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

The shots on TAF don't suck, but its definitely an overrated game, imo.

all of the 90s games I love are overrated imo.
Comparing games like Addams Family and Theatre Of Magic to new games like Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park and Pirates Of The Caribbean feels comparing Flight 2000 and Seawitch to Addams Family and Theatre of Magic.
Or comparing Card Whiz and Big Shot to Flight 2000 and Seawitch.

They're all amazingly fun games, but the generation gap is huge.

#2493 58 days ago

I confess, I enjoy playing TMNT, but after 50 games listening to the turtles voices and the theme song, I want to drive ice picks into my ears.

#2494 58 days ago

I confess I hate that people use abbreviations for game names. Just write the damn name of the game. Your already writing a description about it or some other long winded post. What’s another few letters?

#2495 58 days ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I confess I hate that people use abbreviations for game names. Just write the damn name of the game.

I confess I used to feel that way, but I am used to it now.

#2496 58 days ago

ok...I confess that my love affair with all things creepy and spooky included Munsters..I bought the LE. As much as I have a special spot for everything Munsters, (and it is gorgeous looking game)..I wish I would have known that " Elvira's House of Horrors LE" was as good as it actually is....it would have been a better fit, and more fun, now the Le's are gobbled up. I may need to wait and let Munsters go. Damn, I would have never thought!.....and, I actually had quite possibly the nicest Scared stiff out there, and that didn't make the cut either after 5yrs...but, this EHOH is something else..congrats to all that made the right choice.

(truly my 1st real screw up with a pin purchase)

#2497 58 days ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I confess I hate that people use abbreviations for game names. Just write the damn name of the game. Your already writing a description about it or some other long winded post. What’s another few letters?

This made more sense years ago, now not so much. There are too many titles and the abbreviations have run out. I don't know how many times I've seen White Water as WW, I know WH20, but what about Willy Wonka. Every thread I've seen refers to it as WW. What happened to Whirlwind? I agree it needs to stop.

#2498 58 days ago

The next time I drive down to Florida, I’m stopping by Johnny’s with a trunk full of Natty 30 packs.

#2499 58 days ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The next time I drive down to Florida, I’m stopping by Johnny’s with a trunk full of Natty 30 packs.

Pick me up on the way!

#2500 58 days ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Is there a way to upvote a post 100 times? Asking for a friend.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
There are 2832 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 57.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside