Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,544 posts
  • 721 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4658 (resized).jpeg
    ff24 (resized).jpg
    twister-478-x-282-gif-6ciqtms8ubq7hz74.gif
    IMG_5810 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5819 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5832 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5831 (resized).jpeg
    442475043dec51f5c5b1c352c6afdd37.gif
    IMG_20240405_120516353 (resized).jpg
    punkinlarry (resized).jpg
    punkinsac1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
    20240218_090024[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    punkinchest1 (resized).jpg
    There are 12,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 251.
    #7601 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I used to live for movies at a theatre. Now it’s so expensive I rarely go. This from a guy who spent 25 years working in film.

I now only see movies at the 10am showing on Sundays. My friend Stones turned me onto this years ago. Theater is empty and the rest or day is free.

#7602 1 year ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I now only see movies at the 10am showing on Sundays. My friend Stones turned me onto this years ago. Theater is empty and the rest or day is free.

Tuesday evenings are pretty empty too.

#7603 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yes, our company is offering a $3k referral finders fee if we refer someone they hire. They pay well with great benefits, that are 100% paid by the company and still can’t find enough help.

My company just started this, $5000.00 referral finders fee, payable after 6 months employment.

#7604 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I feel uncomfortable being the grown up, responsible one.

Confess I have always been the responsible one. Not that my family is not, they are but I have always had a hard time just living life without worrying about the consequences. Even rediscovered pinball later in life because I had no time/funds etc. for a "frivolous" activity when I was younger. I think that means I am mellowing out. Looking forward to continuing the process. Certainly helps with road guides like JohnnyPinball007 and punkin and others here on pinside

#7605 1 year ago

I confess I've worn jeans like three times in my life.

#7606 1 year ago

I confess that for the first time seriously considering leaving the USA for good. Any suggestions?

I don't want to leave the USA for more tyranny, chaos or cultural marxism. So Europe not a consideration.

Prefer warmer weather, beaches, easy visa access, and as a bonus maybe a place likely to be more Bitcoin friendly.

Panama? Mexico? Uruguay? Any insights anyone?

#7607 1 year ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

I confess that for the first time seriously considering leaving the USA for good. Any suggestions?
    I don't want to leave the USA for more tyranny, chaos or cultural marxism. So Europe not a consideration.
    Prefer warmer weather, beaches, easy visa access, and as a bonus maybe a place likely to be more Bitcoin friendly.

I would suggest looking for any country that has a better quality of life. Things like single payer healthcare, no guns, and an investment in the support infrastructure you might find useful in your life. Ruling out Europe seems rather rash, given that most countries there and in places like Australia and New Zealand have a far better quality of life (and no Marxism). I'd really worry about crime in the places you mentioned. I too worry about the US, but for the threat of authoritarian fascism. America has no marxism threat. But if you really feel that way, I'd suggest Israel, Costa Rica, Italy, Somalia, Congo and Saudi Arabia. Given the bitcoin crash, I have no idea if that's a wise option.

#7608 1 year ago

Hope this helps.

ei2021_quality-of-life_top10 (resized).pngei2021_quality-of-life_top10 (resized).png
    #7609 1 year ago

Did you really recommend Somalia and The Congo? Jeez not even worth a response really...but will give you one anyhow.

Australia and New Zealand are the opposite of what i want. These are already tyranny zones. Canada as well (also too damn cold for me anyhow).

Don't mind guns. In fact places with easy gun ownership are typically much less inclined to have governmental tyranny. So guns = good.

Overall crime not really a huge concern as I would not be moving to hood but likely the nicest part of town & within the nicest hood.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

I would suggest looking for any country that has a better quality of life. Things like single payer healthcare, no guns, and an investment in the support infrastructure you might find useful in your life. Ruling out Europe seems rather rash, given that most countries there and in places like Australia and New Zealand have a far better quality of life (and no Marxism). I'd really worry about crime in the places you mentioned. I too worry about the US, but you misspoke. It's tyranny (by the minority), chaos and authoritarian fascism. America has no marxism threat. But if you really feel that way, I'd suggest Israel, Costa Rica, Italy, Somalia, Congo and Saudi Arabia. Given the bitcoin crash, I have no idea if that's a wise option.

#7610 1 year ago

Did you really recommend Somalia and The Congo? Jeez not even worth a response really...but will give you one anyhow.
    Australia and New Zealand are the opposite of what i want. These are already tyranny zones. Canada as well (also too damn cold for me anyhow).
    Don't mind guns. In fact places with easy gun ownership are typically much less inclined to have governmental tyranny. So guns = good.
    Overall crime not really a huge concern as I would not be moving to hood but likely the nicest part of town & within the nicest hood.

Yeah, then you want Somalia and the Congo. Given your requirements for warmth, guns, no real government "interference". Nicest part of town within the nicest hood, in any central American country? It can be done, but you also become a really good target. But that's just me, I tend to like law and order.

#7611 1 year ago

I've looked a bit at Uruguay, looks to be fantastic

Victoria, British Columbia (without the heat) but would rank wayyyyy up in quality of life and a fantastic yearly weather.(rainy but temperate)

#7612 1 year ago

I confess that for the first time seriously considering leaving the USA for good.

I confess I watch the YouTube videos where people are walking around city streets of different countries filming what they see. Kind of gives you a taste of what other countries are like. Makes you feel like you are there if able to watch in 4K. Have watched Stockholm, Sweden and Tokyo, Japan so far.

#7613 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

I confess I watch the YouTube videos where people are walking around city streets of different countries filming what they see. Kind of gives you a taste of what other countries are like. Makes you feel like you are there if able to watch in 4K. Have watched Stockholm, Sweden and Tokyo, Japan so far.

I love these - especially the ones that just let you see and hear. I still want high quality live streams from places like coffee shops, public places with live sound. Harder to find with audio.

#7614 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Victoria, British Columbia (without the heat) but would rank wayyyyy up in quality of life and a fantastic yearly weather.(rainy but temperate)

I had to look up Uruguay, had no real knowledge of the area. I was surprised to read about the country, it looks interesting.

#7615 1 year ago

These are already tyranny zones. Canada as well

freakandgeek The Confessional is a judgment-free zone, but it’s also politics-free.

#7616 1 year ago

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Ruling out Europe seems rather rash, given that most countries there and in places like Australia and New Zealand have a far better quality of life

Quoted from Ryguy80:

I confess I watch the YouTube videos where people are walking around city streets of different countries filming what they see. Kind of gives you a taste of what other countries are like.

Confess I like those videos too, it is interesting to try to get a feel for what the average lifestyle is like around the globe

When it comes to the best place to live, there is no list than would do justice to the question because the answer is always what is best for your circumstance. For instance, Most of the countries that have a higher quality of life in these lists have higher taxes, that is what creates a bigger middle class (which is what is really raising their averages). It also means that everyone has less material goods (things cost more, housing is smaller, less pinballs), which may or not be important to you, and things like health care are free (but the queues can be longer for certain things). I have healthcare through my military service (e.g. I earned it through service) so I understandable am less excited about paying for someone else's. Given the safety net in these countries, unemployment rates can be higher too, which you may or may not like, especially since you will probably be working as a requirement of entry.

I like having a large pinball collection, something that would be difficult at my income level in Europe. Conversely, cost of living is generally less in a country like Panama (which I have been to and find to be a very nice Central American country), but if you want a little more safety and security for said pinball collection, you are going to have to upscale (nicer neighborhood, gated community which equals more cost). You will find the services you need like cleaning, gardening etc. to be cheaper, but imported goods for a western lifestyle gets more pricey.

I personally think there are a lot of choices in the US for all kinds of lifestyles and requirements, and not just by changing states. I live in a high tax state (Illinois - always in the top 10 or higher for total tax burden). A big part of that is property tax - which is high across the state but ESPECIALLY in the Chicago Metropolitan Area. I would consider my home un-affordable in Chicagoland for both the cost to buy and the property tax - but I live in a rural county downstate and it is probably half or more of what I would pay in Chicago. The state also never taxed my Military income, and won't tax my 401K, SS, Military or Federal pensions.

My quality of life is pretty darn good. Only a little over an hour to downtown Saint Louis if we want to see a Cardinal's game. Only downside is 45 minutes to work on a rural highway with no real traffic.

#7617 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I have healthcare through my military service (e.g. I earned it through service) so I understandable am less excited about paying for someone else's..

I liked most of your post, but this stood out. So to be clear, you are glad that others are paying for your healthcare, but are against you paying anything for others to have healthcare.

I can't square that. Thank you for your service, by the way.

#7618 1 year ago

Confess that I’m ready to forgive my sod installer. His crew came back today to install a riverbed to help with our erosion problem, and they knocked it out of the park. It’s about 60 feet long.

23794A4D-81A9-4883-9C2C-954D9C4CD045 (resized).jpeg23794A4D-81A9-4883-9C2C-954D9C4CD045 (resized).jpeg96EA9510-93F4-4F37-976D-E9DD822D1B3C (resized).jpeg96EA9510-93F4-4F37-976D-E9DD822D1B3C (resized).jpegE92E75DF-A587-41E7-83A1-5CB38E646DE6 (resized).jpegE92E75DF-A587-41E7-83A1-5CB38E646DE6 (resized).jpeg
    #7619 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I liked most of your post, but this stood out. So to be clear, you are glad that others are paying for your healthcare, but are against you paying anything for others to have healthcare.

No, I am pointing out in my case, I made several sacrifices over 37 years (willingly) and earned healthcare as a result. It was part of my compensation for that sacrifice, just deferred compensation if you will. The contract with others was made when I joined (many others in emergency services and government have a similar contract) and yes, in the case of uncertainty of rising healthcare costs, I feel like I made a good choice (abet with some risks). I didn't say against paying others to have healthcare, just less excited. Just like someone would be less excited if they paid $14K for a Godzilla premium vs $9K. Still happy to have the Godzilla, just less excited. I don't tend to look at anything in absolute terms though like anyone, my worldview has been shaped by my our personal experiences. The point I was trying to make, though, is that everyone's circumstance is different and while generalities like best state, worse state etc. are interesting, the data set is way too coarse for any meaningful comparison.

and @swampfire's dry river bed looks nice.

#7620 1 year ago

Not trying to get political. Canada still has no travel in/out for the unjabbed. Also taking govt actions on banning guns. These are both indisputable facts. Maybe that smells like freedom and liberty to you — but it does not to me.

Quoted from swampfire:

freakandgeek The Confessional is a judgment-free zone, but it’s also politics-free.

#7621 1 year ago

Not trying to get political. Canada still has no travel in/out for the unjabbed. Also taking govt actions on banning guns. These are both undisputable facts. Maybe that smells like freedom and liberty to you — but it does not to me.

Thanks for making my point.

#7622 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks for making my point.

You're welcome. I'm glad you feel good about making your point, whatever that was.

#7623 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I can't square that. Thank you for your service, by the way.

If that is the promise of military service why have a beef with him getting what was promised? If you want free VA healthcare (not exactly the Taj Mahal by the way) go ahead and put your own butt on the line, OK?

It's that simple.

#7624 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Too complex a concept apparently.

#7625 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Too complex a concept apparently.

Stating that government actions removing freedoms to whether you can come & go or what you can or cannot purchase does not equate to freedom.

This is not a political statement. It is just math. I am sorry that is too complex for you.

#7626 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

and swampfire's dry river bed looks nice.

My wife’s out of town for a week, so I did what any self-respecting man would do: I drank 2 beers and peed on it. WAY more satisfying than peeing in the bare dirt.

#7627 1 year ago

This is not a political statement. It is just math. I am sorry that is too complex for you.

I think you’re missing the point of this thread. Here, we talk about these things:

- dumb pinball things we have done
    - beer
    - stories from our youth
    - weed
    - gripes about contractors
    - taking a break from drinking or smoking
    - things we should have been arrested for when we were young
    - beer and weed

Read the room, man.

Other easygoing topics are obviously welcome, but we don’t talk about vaccines or guns or tyranny or freedom in this thread.

#7628 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think you’re missing the point of this thread. Here, we talk about these things:
    - beer
    - stories from our youth
    - weed
    - beer and weed
    Read the room, man.

My confession was a sincere one...sorry it was not good enough for you.

#7629 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

- beer
    - stories from our youth
    - weed
    - beer and weed
    Read the room, man.
    Other easygoing topics are obviously welcome, but we don’t talk about vaccines or guns or tyranny or freedom in this thread.

Don't look em in the eye mate, it only encourages them.

#7630 1 year ago

I confess, I really don’t have great scores on my machines but I absolutely love trying to beat the last one! My 11 year old daughter holds our highest score so far.

#7631 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I confess, I really don’t have great scores on my machines but I absolutely love trying to beat the last one! My 11 year old daughter holds our highest score so far.

I'm similar, when i get a new machine i always try to beat the scores it came with. Once i have done that i don't really play for high scores, more goal orientated. That's why GnR didn't last here.

#7632 1 year ago

If that is the promise of military service why have a beef with him getting what was promised? If you want free VA healthcare (not exactly the Taj Mahal by the way) go ahead and put your own butt on the line, OK?
    It's that simple.

I have no beef with him getting quality healthcare. I firmly believe, having seen how it's handled in all the other first world wealthy countries, that it shouldn't require anything more than being a citizen. I know you disagree.

But let's both agree swampfire's lawn needs a whole lot more water!

#7633 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Confess that I’m ready to forgive my sod installer. His crew came back today to install a riverbed to help with our erosion problem, and they knocked it out of the park. It’s about 60 feet long.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was surprised to see adults in the photo for the rock. It looked like the sod was installed by a team of six year olds.

#7634 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Was surprised to see adults in the photo. It looked like the sod was installed by a team of six year olds.

Almost. 17-year-olds. But the real problem is that they let my sod bake in the sun for a day because they were short-staffed. Which is fine, but they should have called the sod company and said “send it tomorrow instead”. The bumps and gaps are - whatever, I can fix those over time. But leaving my sod in 90-degree full sun, that’s like the midwife dropping the baby on the floor and saying “oops, my bad, sorry about that lump on his head”.

#7635 1 year ago

My confession was a sincere one...sorry it was not good enough for you.

You’re forgiven. Don’t know if you remember, but ~20 years ago I drove to Brunswick to buy a No Fear from you for $1400. My son loved it - he still talks about it. I confess that 6 years later, I traded NF plus $1800 for an Iron Man at BumperNets. Confess I put a good $1200 into modding that IM with sweet red armor, etc, then again, traded it 6 years later - this time for GOTG. Confess Guardians only lasted 6 months, and then I replaced it with Jurassic Park. That lasted 2 years, and I replaced it with Stranger Things.

Confess that I’ll hold on to an 80’s pin for decades, but a few years is okay for me on many DMDs. In fact I think the only 80’s game I ever sold was Andromeda, which I sold to Ed Robertson to help round out his awesome Game Plan collection, and also because he’s one of the nicest guys in pinball.

#7636 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

In fact I think the only 80’s game I ever sold was Andromeda

I confess I’m full of shit - I just checked my sales history and I’ve sold 14 SS pins. In my defense, 2 of those were projects that I would’ve never got to.

#7637 1 year ago

Confess that this is my favorite thing as a pinball collector.

I walk up to TWD, I’ve ignored it for months while Rush and LZ get all the love. I just wanted a quick game before going to bed (I have to get up at midnight for a Webex SSO deployment). But TWD gives me all the love: 111M and a new CDC champion score. I walk away thinking “yeah, THAT game is a keeper”.

#7638 1 year ago

Finally found time yesterday to hook up my air horn on my truck..but sadly, no 1 pissed me off in traffic today..it plays tequila w the 5 horns..stock horns are boring

#7639 1 year ago

Alaska.

Yes you are still in the USA but you are largely left alone by the above. Look at the Amish they hang out in the 48 but aren’t subjected to that and are left alone. Everyone loves the Amish!

Too cold you say? Think about Anchorage they are actually warmer than you think the climate maps match a lot of what’s in the US.

If there really was a perfect place I’d already be there waiting for you with a cold beer.

#7640 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Finally found time yesterday to hook up my air horn on my truck..but sadly, no 1 pissed me off in traffic today..it plays tequila w the 5 horns..stock horns are boring

Whatcha got? My old truck had a Nathan P3

#7641 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Haha. I had a buddy in high school who drive a old 60s Cadillac who had the Aooga horn.

#7642 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Everyone loves the Amish!

They seem to not have a care in the world. There are some Amish homesteads just a few miles up the road from home. They would be out working in their field, but would take time to pause what they are doing to turn and wave as I drive by on a county road. If they are in their horse buggy on the road and we cross paths, more often than not I would get a friendly wave. Last winter, I was impressed how they would rig their horses up to a plow to clear snow off a driveway as I quipped to myself, "Now there's some horsepower!" #dadjokes

#7643 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Alaska.
    Yes you are still in the USA but you are largely left alone by the above. Look at the Amish they hang out in the 48 but aren’t subjected to that and are left alone. Everyone loves the Amish!
    Too cold you say? Think about Anchorage they are actually warmer than you think the climate maps match a lot of what’s in the US.
    If there really was a perfect place I’d already be there waiting for you with a cold beer.

He wouldn't like Alaska. They have "marxism" in that the government gives each state resident free money. Yes, that's why "marxism" was in quotes. Plus, the state bird. Mosquito.

#7644 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Whatcha got? My old truck had a Nathan P3

It’s made my wolo. I bought it in LA years ago n had it in my old Malibu for years..luckily I had another 4 way relay in the tool box, the 1st 1 I tried didn’t work n had me scratching my head like wtf..

#7645 1 year ago

Alaska is a dream place to live! I wouldn’t move there just so it could stay wild!

#7646 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I've always wanted to live in BC since I was a kid. I love Victoria, Vancouver and my home away from home in hs was Kelowna. I like the north part also like Prince George. Lots of good times/memories up there. The best golf courses I've ever played were in BC. Also the best fishing tho northern Saskatchewan is a close second.

5 or 6 years ago the wife and I were considering moving overseas/central America. We loved the thought of restoring a old farmhouse in France.
    Belize was also high on the list because of climate, close to Canada and only English speaking Central America country.
    If money wasn't a concern. I'd move to Costa rica or Italy. No if money wasn't a concern I'd definitely love to live in Italy

#7647 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

TWD gives me all the love: 111M and a new CDC champion score. I walk away thinking “yeah, THAT game is a keeper

TWD is my first keeper game. So far Oktoberfest is my 2nd keeper game.

Confess that it has been several weeks now since any game has been turned on, we are still playing dominoes all the time.

#7648 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

if money wasn't a concern I'd definitely love to live in Italy

If money wasn't a concern for me, I would love to have a big air conditioned dock somewhere on a waterway in Florida where fishing is great year round.

Oh, and a decent size house and boat also on that property.

Confess I hate the heat and humidity in Florida, but sitting on a dock fishing and drinking beer is what I really love.

Fishing on a boat is good also, until it is beer time, and I do not drink and drive, so just give me a dock.

#7649 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

TWD is my first keeper game. So far Oktoberfest is my 2nd keeper game.
    Confess that it has been several weeks now since any game has been turned on, we are still playing dominoes all the time.

I never made it far enough in the series or don’t remember it enough to know Woodbury was a place. I almost want to customize the Woodbury emblem from my city and put it on the insert.

BTW how do you actually collect on the point value you select and why would someone pick anything less than the highest value? Maybe I’m doing it all wrong?

#7650 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

BTW how do you actually collect on the point value you select and why would someone pick anything less than the highest value? Maybe I’m doing it all wrong?

I always hit the right flipper until the far right lane is lit, and then pick 1M (or whatever is highest).

There are 12,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional/page/153 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.