(Topic ID: 61230)

The confessional

By swampfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

punkinlarry (resized).jpg
    punkinsac1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
    20240218_090024[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    punkinchest1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    corvair27 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    istockphoto-1179823122-612x612 (resized).jpg
    beijing-lamb-chuan-13 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240104_184633712[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240104_184617341[1] (resized).jpg
    0A18CD89-6539-4786-AA30-EAEBB03F87E5 (resized).jpeg
    R0010223 (resized).jpg
    upPL5r70b2agIXq8PVOUcC8sZxFswrJqNjYB2jYzALE (resized).jpg

There are 12,502 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 251.
    #7251 1 year ago

Geese are already heading to my 50th Anniversary party. The Golden Goose !

LTG : )

#7252 1 year ago

Confess I woke up with a little puddle of drool on my pillow last night, so I flipped it over.

#7253 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Confess I woke up with a little puddle of drool on my pillow last night, so I flipped it over.

The sign that you know you’ve slept well

#7254 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Last 2 years it's been happening to me. I have a system that works when asleep. As i turn from one side to the other i automatically pull up the corner of the pillow to rest between my shoulder and my cheek. It keeps my head at a better angle and stops it from happening.

#7255 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Walk up to one and tell them how you feel! they are freaks and will come at ya like a spider-monkey!

We used to raise geese on our farm. Oh, I know.

#7256 1 year ago

I confess. Keyboards don't like having a cup of coffee dumped on them.

The keyboard is dead. Long live the new keyboard !

#7257 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I confess. Keyboards don't like having a cup of coffee dumped on them.
    The keyboard is dead. Long live the new keyboard !

I confess I’ve had a lot of close calls with technology. Worst one was with an iPod years ago. Somehow it lost a fight to a glass of orange juice I spilled in a car. They were in the same cup holder area. It still worked but I had to detail it. I had gotten a free iPod nano. I don’t remember what the difference is I just remember the name.

Once a cracked phone screen when it fell out of my pocket onto an asphalt parking lot in need of repair.

I don’t know where I heard this but it’s actually a law that a computer must be sold with a keyboard and mouse included. Doesn’t have to be nice it just has to exist.

#7258 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Made me think of Primetime back in the day saying cool side of the pillow.

Confess I have never flipped my pillow. I wear a groove till it bothers me and I throw it out.

#7259 1 year ago

DoorDash dropped a big sack of Chic-fil-A breakfast on my porch this morning. The name is right (same as my son’s), but he said he didn’t order it either. I don’t even have the DoorDash app. Confess I ate that chicken breakfast burrito without hesitation.

FFCB21D3-C835-4992-9B1D-70E88C3F1A04 (resized).jpegFFCB21D3-C835-4992-9B1D-70E88C3F1A04 (resized).jpeg
    #7260 1 year ago

This happened to my friends mom a couple years back. Ironically she was in the hospital at the time it was delivered. She lived alone never had a phone other than land line. No internet.

It wasn’t chick fil a but a local restaurant order. Wasn’t specific on if it was door dash Uber eats

I confess I’ve never used any of those food delivery services before.

#7261 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I’ve never used any of those food delivery services before.

Maybe it’s a GenX/Boomer thing (not using delivery services), but I haven’t either. It seems lazy to me to pay someone to pick up your food order for you. But my broke millennial son has used it several times. I don’t even like having pizza delivered, if the place is just a few miles away.

#7262 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe it’s a GenX/Boomer thing, but I haven’t either. It seems lazy to me to pay someone to pick up your food order for you. But my broke millennial son has used it several times. I don’t even like having pizza delivered, if the place is just a few miles away.

Not Boomers, not this one anyway.

#7263 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not Boomers, not this one anyway.

No, that’s what I’m saying. We Boomers and Gen-X’ers don’t use DoorDash or Uber Eats.

#7264 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe it’s a GenX/Boomer thing (not using delivery services), but I haven’t either. It seems lazy to me to pay someone to pick up your food order for you. But my broke millennial son has used it several times. I don’t even like having pizza delivered, if the place is just a few miles away.

I've never used any of those services either - and same for pizza, i want that thing as hot as possible, not cruising around town while the delivery kid drops off 3 other pizzas too.

Only time I have pizza delivered is when it's below 20 degrees.....give or take.....

#7265 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've never used any of those services either - and same for pizza, i want that thing as hot as possible, not cruising around town while the delivery kid drops off 3 other pizzas too.
    Only time I have pizza delivered is when it's below 20 degrees.....give or take.....

Not this Gen-Xer either. I am too damn cheap to pay for delivery from those services. My wife just used one a few days ago to deliver some food - the guy couldn't find the right address in the apt grounds, so just left it at some random person's doorstep. Didn't call or anything. She had to track down a number to reach him, he says "I'm not paid enough to go back and get it". She spent a half hour just to find the food. The thing is, the driver is partly right - most of those drivers make way less than minimum. But I'm not excusing his attitude or actions. All this just to get food? No thank you.

#7266 1 year ago

I’m an X’er, and I’ve used it. I spend my days driving around. When I get home I don’t want to go back out to get food. Let someone else do it for me!

#7267 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

DoorDash dropped a big sack of Chic-fil-A breakfast on my porch this morning. The name is right (same as my son’s), but he said he didn’t order it either. I don’t even have the DoorDash app. Confess I ate that chicken breakfast burrito without hesitation.
    [quoted image]

Mystery solved - it WAS the kid that ordered the food. He was sleeping at 8am when my wife asked him if it was his, and he said no. He woke up at 2pm hungry and pissed off. LOL!

#7268 1 year ago

I don't do the Doordash and Uber Eats stuff either, but have done pizza delivery (from the store that made the pizza) in the past. It feels lazy and I snicker at those that use it for fast food (McDonald's, etc.). Here's your cold burger and fries, 30 or more minutes later...

#7269 1 year ago

I confess with the May warm up in temperatures, pinball has gone on the back burner. Once we are back to nine months of cold, crappy weather, I'll think more about pinball again.

#7270 1 year ago

The young guy in my basement suite uses it to have slurpees from 7-11 delivered! McDonald's breakfast a couple time a week as well. Also, a friend & his wife had dairy queen treats delivered one evening when their son forgot to switch the address to his girlfriend's dads house! I wish i had random ice cream treats at my door! Dare to dream!

#7271 1 year ago

I confess that my house sucks in the winter, but is pretty nice in the summer. We don't even have air conditioning, but the house stays cool for the most part.
    However, during winter...you wake up to your room at 40 degrees.

#7272 1 year ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

I confess that my house sucks in the winter, but is pretty nice in the summer. We don't even have air conditioning, but the house stays cool for the most part.
    However, during winter...you wake up to your room at 40 degrees.

I thought that owls liked the cold?

#7273 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

Take the dominoes so you can play with her in between fishing time or when you have the rod(s) down . Be safe and have fun!

Thanks!

I just got back a few hours ago, this was the last comment I had read as I was running out the door to hit the road a few days ago.

(and no, the dominos were not taken on the trip, but they were played for a while tonight).

I am tired, but as far as Rain-X, HELL YES!

Even if it is pouring rain that stuff works awesome.

If no store near you sells any, just order some from a store and have it shipped. It is well worth it.

As far as food delivery, HELL NO!

I am too cheap to pay for that and I am afraid they would mess with my food.

So anyway, I confess that now I will have to take a after vacation, vacation, to probably at least see the Chiropractor or possibly even a urgent care.

Not sure if it is the sunburn, or riding rollercoasters when I know I need to stop, or the fact I had way too many beers on the trip, but I feel like crap.

And then there was also all the fishing. I caught over 100 fish in 3 days and I never slept late or took a nap.

I confess I felt so bad on the 9 hour drive home today that I thought about letting my girlfriend drive some.

(but hell no, I think that would have made me feel worse).

I confess with the high gas prices I was really hoping more people were carpooling and staying off the road, but NO!, traffic was way worse than normal.

And while right now I do not feel great and I am sick and tired of all the crazy drivers on the road, in a few weeks I will probably be ready to punish myself again like that.

At the moment though, I am just glad to be back home.

#7274 1 year ago

Shiza
    What have I missed

#7275 1 year ago

So I have been moving games in and out of my office and garage this week and you wouldn't believe it, but good golly Ms. Molly the family have not stopped playing Godzilla!
    My girls who are 9 and 10, and usually stick to what they consider in their minds the best pin (Shadow and AFM lately) are playing dollar games on GZ!

Am I too forward to say that GZ is the TZ of this generation??????

#7276 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

probably at least see the Chiropractor or possibly even a urgent care.

Confess after my doctor that I had for many years retired about 20 years ago, I have never had another regular doctor.

I confess that used to I could just go see a doctor when I needed to, but for 20 years now all their appointments are booked 6 months in advance, and I have no clue if I will be sick or not in 6 months when their next appointment is available, so I just go see random doctors at urgent cares as needed.

I had to go to urgent care last week to get a shot and pills for some damn poison ivy. Confess that sucked having to deal with that right before and during vacation time.

I confess I do love my Chiropractor, for 40 bucks he can help me with neck and back adjustments to help me feel better, and plenty of good advice also about supplements I may want to try for other problems. (and no, he is not even trying to sell me some supplement or anything else himself). He would be the perfect doctor, if only he could give shots and pills for crap like poison ivy.

I hope all of you have a GREAT WEEKEND!

#7277 1 year ago

or riding rollercoasters when I know I need to stop, or the fact I had way too many beers on the trip, but I feel like crap.

From experience. Never, ever, ride a Tilt-A-Whirl while highly intoxicated.

#7278 1 year ago

The whole food delivery discussion leads me to this confession/rant...

I'm pretty dead nuts center in the middle of Gen X. I've been online in some form or another since probably '92 or thereabouts. Been using a computer for work almost as long. I love technology, however, I still don't trust it. I still feel a little WTF-ness when I leave the radio station unstaffed because I'm still paranoid the automation will spaz out. It doesn't. I'll occasionally buy something online from a big vendor. Since the pandemic I pay my rent online. On my laptop that I maintain. I love my smartphone. I use it a lot for entertainment. My mind is still blown over the fact that we basically carry supercomputers in our pockets thousands of times more advanced than what put men on the moon. Want me to download a restaurant app or anything that wants to tie into my banking? Fuuuuuuuck you. I'm still the old fart who goes to the credit union to deposit a physical check. Ain't no banking app on my phone. Doordash? Grubhub? Eat me. A lot of the mom and pop joints get hosed on that. (there was a shitshow in NYC the other day: https://thetakeout.com/why-grubhub-free-lunch-in-nyc-promo-was-a-disaster-1848942200) If I want delivery I'll call and pay/tip with cash.

But yes, I'm fucked eight ways to Sunday if my phone's out or the internet's down.

#7279 1 year ago

I confess l was looking forward to not having to go to work for a couple of months after my hip replacement surgery I had on Tuesday.

#7280 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I confess l was looking forward to not having to go to work for a couple of months after my hip replacement surgery I had on Tuesday.

Hope that all went/goes well!

#7281 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I’m an X’er, and I’ve used it. I spend my days driving around. When I get home I don’t want to go back out to get food. Let someone else do it for me!

Or buy the food on your way home?

Kids these days!!!

#7282 1 year ago

Confess I’m enjoying a little wine after helping my friend move all of his games out of storage and back into a public space where he can make some money. It’s just 4 miles from me, so I’m really happy to have some local games to play.

6EB8E02D-261F-43A5-A82A-3399220CC40B (resized).jpeg6EB8E02D-261F-43A5-A82A-3399220CC40B (resized).jpeg8C9D10FC-4346-4269-B55F-989088B0B3AC (resized).jpeg8C9D10FC-4346-4269-B55F-989088B0B3AC (resized).jpeg
    #7283 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Hope that all went/goes well!

Thank you, so far so good, less pain than I was expecting.

#7284 1 year ago
    Quoted from Becker34:

I love technology, however, I still don't trust it. I still feel a little WTF-ness when I leave the radio station unstaffed because I'm still paranoid the automation will spaz out. It doesn't.

For anything critically important, I try to have a backup option or analog backup solution in place that I can turn to temporarily.

Problem with your broadcast computer? Have a backup computer or and maybe even an MP3 player or CD player ready to swap in.

Internet service goes out? Have a backup line or cell service hot spot ready to switch to.

Phone dies? Have a backup contacts file somewhere, and maybe a few critical phone numbers written down somewhere.

Being able to quickly switch over to a secondary system to keep the train moving and more or less on time can make you look like a miracle worker and magician.

#7285 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For anything critically important, I try to have a backup option or analog backup solution in place that I can turn to temporarily.

Tech horror story- 3 yrs ago internet (and email) provider sold. New provider didn't allow imap/pop so no local backup for email. Put it in to do list to get new email account, but then COVID etc.. About 3 weeks ago, out of blue, email canceled, no access to 3 yrs mail. Called, complained, they said we sent notices, etc. (No notices ever sent).

Nothing to do but drive on - got new email (the one I was planning on switching to) and started the process of changing over 100 accounts, many who want to send an email to your old email before they will allow the new ...

Two days after telling us too bad - the old service calls. Turns out they made a "mistake" and didn't send out notices. Turned it back on till Mid July with all old email (suprising since they told us they couldn't recover thembafter they shut it off the first time.)

New service could access the old one, all the emails transfered (and are now also local and in backup PST files as the new service is very good).

Monitoring the old now for straggler emails, nothing left in it now.

Oh, many accounts use email address as the unique identifier (Stern Insider Connect seems to be one). Cant just switch, have to make a new account.

#7286 1 year ago

I confess I wanted to post this in the recent PHOF thread but didn’t think it was the right time or place.

A4EFA078-FAEC-4418-A121-43BB1FE9CBE2 (resized).pngA4EFA078-FAEC-4418-A121-43BB1FE9CBE2 (resized).png

#7287 1 year ago

I’m in the “9th decile” and I confess that I don’t know how 80% of ya’ll get through the week.

F220E6DB-F635-48AE-AC51-98B4D299753A (resized).jpegF220E6DB-F635-48AE-AC51-98B4D299753A (resized).jpeg
    #7288 1 year ago

As soon as I got home today my pinball resource order was waiting for me on the front porch.

I confess I already had a prepaid envelope filled out knowing it was going to arrive today. I like how PBR is shipping orders with UPS now.

As soon as I walked in the door I wrote the check and drove directly to the post office. Didn’t even open the box all the way up to look at my treats for my games.

I’ve never had an overdue bill with them but I also confess I may have sent payments on the date they are due.

I did this quickly cause I’m trying to keep my mind light on things to worry about and things I need to do to help minimize stress. The little things can add up so knocking these out helps me a lot.

I confess after forgetting how to spell it years ago I now remember how to spell Poughkeepsie again.

#7289 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m in the “9th decile” and I confess that I don’t know how 80% of ya’ll get through the week.
    [quoted image]

I used to be in the 9th last year and for many years.

Stopping drinking is a F*** ton worse than sustaining sobriety.

If I can figure out how to sleep well in the 9th I’ll gladly join you there once again.

My body struggles with beer with alcohol.

I can drink cereal beverages (commonly known as NA beer) just fine and about 1/2 oz of hard liquor per day but I’m off that even now.

I’ll be back.

#7290 1 year ago

I confess I cannot stand beer and have never drank more than a sip my entire life.

#7291 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I confess I cannot stand beer and have never drank more than a sip my entire life.

That makes my dick shrivel up in my belly.

#7292 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Confess I am probably in the Sixth, about one drink every other week. My biological father was an alcoholic and by all accounts a mean drunk. Luckily I was four when my mother left him. I decided I didn't want to be like him so I rarely drink and even rarer drink enough to feel the effects (maybe twice a year). Luckily when I do, I'm a happy drunk. My wife, who really doesn't drink at all, calls me an annoying drunk

#7293 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Problem with your broadcast computer? Have a backup computer or and maybe even an MP3 player or CD player ready to swap in.

We actually have several layers of redundancy - music, imaging (the recorded elements between songs), spots that get updated weekly at worst. I call it "the nuclear football" since someone in IT or engineering always has it plus there's one locked up. We have a few emergency CDs in every on air studio to keep stuff on the air if the shit really hits the fan. We can switch over remotely. All of our on air studio boards can be controlled remotely as well.

MP3's suck. I can hear the data compression. There are also theories that say that compressed audio can have a negative impact on ratings in markets that use PPM (a form of ratings/data gathering). All backup is lossless. We strive to source lossless files for music as well.

We no longer have CD libraries in the studios thanks to some moron (not in my market) who grabbed GnR Lies for their cover of "Mama Kin" where Axl introduces the song by saying "this is a song about your fucking mother." Oops. Idiot didn't preview.

Back around 99 or so at another station, we installed automation. We were still fully staffed 24/7 and only used voicetracking for some weekend dayparts and holidays. I believe the term was "live assist." Jocks were live, everything else was on the machine. The computers would freak out every so often and freeze. We'd reboot and all would be okay for several days. It still caused major pants shitting. It got to the point where calls were made to the software company, who told us the computers needed to be rebooted. It then became a duty of the overnight jock to grab some CDs and reboot the automation machine nightly. Problem solved.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Being able to quickly switch over to a secondary system to keep the train moving and more or less on time can make you look like a miracle worker and magician.

^THIS!!!

I still don't trust the damn thing!

But then again, I'm the old timer who used to smoke, sometimes even cigarettes, in the studio.

#7294 1 year ago

A guy comes up to me at sign up for comp yesterday and says;

"I've been eating dried fruit, so if I shit myself, you'll know why."

And walked away.

LifeIsBizarrePunkin

#7295 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

All good, we all have different tastes.

I confess I cannot stand V8 juice, and have never drank more than a sip in my entire life.

Quoted from swampfire:

I confess the 10th decile is pretty close to where I am, but I am really in the 11th one that is not on the graph.

(on the graph it says "top", but I am pretty sure that is not even close. while I confess to 11th, I am pretty sure I know of people that would confess to 15th).

ALL GOOD!

I hope all of you have a GREAT WEEK!

#7296 1 year ago

I hope all of you have a GREAT WEEK

I confess I might have to turn on the heat. Low in the 40s for the next 3 days. Will try to open window shades for some free heat.

#7297 1 year ago

How awesome is the breakfast club? So many memorable quotes.

20220523_224133.jpg20220523_224133.jpg
    #7298 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I confess I might have to turn on the heat. Low in the 40s for the next 3 days.

I confess I wish it would stay in the 40s year round here.

I hate this 80s and 90s with humidity 8 months a year.

When outside working my shirt gets soaked with sweat, and I drink 100 ounces of Gatorade, and another 100 ounces of water also, and I still get bad hand and feet cramps from dehydration.

Other than the heat and humidity, I do confess I love where I live.

#7299 1 year ago

Confess I hate Amy the Gorilla and the horse she rode in on.. I can go more into detail but let’s just say I missed GC on Congo because of her

#7300 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

10% of adults consume more than 10 drinks a day???

I drink on average once a month from Oct to May, during pinball league, that's about it. I never just crack open a beer and sit down and watch tv or anything.

Did plenty of drinking from 20 to 40 though.....

There are 12,502 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional/page/146?hl=ryguy80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.