Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,483 posts
  • 719 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
    20240218_090024[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
    punkinchest1 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    corvair27 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    istockphoto-1179823122-612x612 (resized).jpg
    beijing-lamb-chuan-13 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240104_184633712[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240104_184617341[1] (resized).jpg
    0A18CD89-6539-4786-AA30-EAEBB03F87E5 (resized).jpeg
    R0010223 (resized).jpg
    upPL5r70b2agIXq8PVOUcC8sZxFswrJqNjYB2jYzALE (resized).jpg
    Pulp_Fiction_hype_thread._Chicago_Gaming_Pinside.com_-_2023-12-30_04.58.05 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5949 (resized).jpeg

There are 12,483 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 250.
    #551 9 years ago

I once spent 2-3 hours trying to fix the flashers in the topper of my Pinbot (back in my more newbie days). Tested transistors, used logic probe, changed a couple of borderline items. MPU out, MPU in. Rinse/repeat. Nothing worked.

After a while decided it must be the wiring within the topper. Took it off and found every single bulb blown. Replaced them. Job done.....

#552 9 years ago

I bought this game last night to "save" it, but I'm thinking about putting it in storage for 5 years instead:

Trident..JPGTrident..JPG
    #553 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

I once spent 2-3 hours trying to fix the flashers in the topper of my Pinbot (back in my more newbie days). Tested transistors, used logic probe, changed a couple of borderline items. MPU out, MPU in. Rinse/repeat. Nothing worked.
    After a while decided it must be the wiring within the topper. Took it off and found every single bulb blown. Replaced them. Job done.....

That's funny. I worked on a Gott Sys3 game where all of the backbox lighting was out. Owner had mucked with the relay and the points weren't making contact. After adjusting and testing for voltage I told him his problem was fixed and walked away. He was mad it still wasn't working....then found out every bulb in the backbox was blown.

Confession: My grand champion score on TAF is from me pressing start during multiball of previous game.

3 months later
    #554 9 years ago

Bump, for my 2014 confessions:

I left JM sitting in my workshop for the entire year.
    I bought 8 pins even though I was already out of room.
    I moved 3 games into my wife's section of the basement.
    I stopped bicycling to spend more time working on games (and gained 15 pounds).

#555 9 years ago

I have never listened to a podcast of any kind.

#556 9 years ago

I constantly restore games and use the glass of other restored games (with brand new glass) to put parts on top of, without protecting the glass.

#557 9 years ago

Last night I went downstairs to play a few games as a reward for having not yet played any pinball that day. A few hours later, I remembered that I had, gone out of my way while out doing errands earlier in the day to stop at a pizza place to play 8 games of ACDC.

#558 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Also..... Oh man, here it goes.... I may have been a little wrong about cftbl.....

I realize that I'm three months behind, but....... WHAT!!!!!!!!! Are you trying to trick me? If not, this is a very courageous statement considering the vitriol which you have launched at CFTBL over the years. Please clarify yourself!

#559 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I have never listened to a podcast of any kind.

Mistake!

Coast 2 Coast, pinheadz, gameroom junkies and pinball podcast.

Great.

#560 9 years ago

I say bad words everyday when I am soldering and gluing mods for all you great people.

#561 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Bump, for my 2014 confessions:
    I stopped bicycling to spend more time working on games (and gained 15 pounds).

John, that's just from all that pie..........

#562 9 years ago

I just installed the service rails on my Tron Pro. Yes, that is the Zen roll-over..

IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0709.jpg
    #563 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I just installed the service rails on my Tron Pro. Yes, that is the Zen roll-over.. KB

Cut the wire!

#564 9 years ago

and then, instead of simply cutting the wire, I moved the rail (holes still hidden under the end though).

#565 9 years ago

But trying to cut wire has garnered me my second nomination..
    IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0723.jpg
    That's when I learnt that side cutters rated at 1.3mm copper won't cut the supersteel of a spinner (that spinner support wire is some strong stuff!). Notice I tried twice...hahahahaha.

#566 9 years ago

My side-cutters look just like that - same reason.

#567 9 years ago

I use my truck's passenger side seat warmer to keep take-out food warm until I get home

#568 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I use my truck's passenger side seat warmer to keep take-out food warm until I get home

I learn something new every day, thanks for the tip!

#569 9 years ago

Been there, done that.

#570 9 years ago

Passing through Target, I had a few minutes before the wife would be ready. I ended up in front of a rack of calendars and started examining some. Soon it was time to leave and it was at that moment that I realized I had chosen seven calendars - two with dogs, two with cats, one with cows, one with geckos and one with Disney movie characters. Right in the middle of the rack, being ignored the whole time, were calendars featuring swimsuit models, hooter waitresses and sorority girls. Now , as I reflect back, I'd say things worked out ok. ps - do yourself a favor if you come across a calendar of cats doing yoga and check it out.

4 weeks later
    #571 9 years ago

I just "fixed" my FunHouse with a toothpick. After many years of working fine, the steps ramp seems to have warped a little and the hotdog optos aren't lining up great. When Rudy talks, the opto shakes and triggers, causing a "get yourself a hotdog".

A family member is having a bunch of people over tonight so I wanted to fix it quick.

Not having a lot of time, I loosened the emitter opto screw, shoved a toothpick under it, tightened it up and broke off the exposed part of the toothpick. It's lined up perfectly.

Will fix with washer or something more appropriate later No one at the gathering will know, unless someone from pinside shares...

#572 9 years ago

I help with simple repairs on pinballs since there are no techs around here. I worked on a Groundshaker for 3 hours plus redoing all of the connections to the MPU. It turns out it was the tilt wires were shorting out instead. I never even thought about looking at the error codes

#573 9 years ago

At the grocery store during self checkout I paid "regular" price for organic bananas.

I also cleaned My Funhouse Mystery Mirror too vigorously and the silk screened letters started to come off. <sigh>

#574 9 years ago

I have about 25 games in my basement game room, mostly video games. One time, on the games that saved high scores, I set them all on the easiest settings possible and then pounded out the highest possible scores on them for a week or two. Then I set them all on the hardest settings possible. I invited a bunch of serious game players over and they tried to beat my high scores (without knowing the situation).

Sad (for me) thing is they did on several of them.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#575 9 years ago

Skipped watching some mindless shows today, the programming preceding start of college sports can be limited and spent a few hours rereading this thread ... from the beginning! Laughed out loud many times and thumbed up a lot of posts that I must have missed the first read through (had forgotten that almost every post by swampfire was a gem). Maybe it was the quality of the confessions or maybe it is the pitcher of gin gimlets I consumed this morning before and during.... but I had a great time ... and nobody got hurt. Now off to play some TZ.

#576 9 years ago

South Park is me and my friends favourite game at the moment...

#577 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I realize that I'm three months behind, but....... WHAT!!!!!!!!! Are you trying to trick me? If not, this is a very courageous statement considering the vitriol which you have launched at CFTBL over the years. Please clarify yourself!

I figured you or Wizzo would call me on this. No matter how I despised this game before, I always loved the split theme and look. My friend got one, played it, and.... I don't hate it. I enjoy it over there, but I don't think I would ever get one again for me.

I don't have a hate for it like I once did. I think I was so happy to land this machine on the hype in HUO condition, and was so let down in the play (to me at the time), and it made the entire experience involving it negative.

I still don't think I could have it for long in my gameroom, but I can definitely enjoy it at other's. Who knows what the future holds though.

Does this mean we can be friends now?

#578 9 years ago

While reading "Confessions" out load to my laughing wife, I had to skip some because they hit too close to home.

#579 9 years ago

Me and my friends and would TILT out the last ball during a game when the match # was stuck. To get the free game when beating the score was not going to happen.

#580 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I figured you or Wizzo would call me on this. No matter how I despised this game before, I always loved the split theme and look. My friend got one, played it, and.... I don't hate it. I enjoy it over there, but I don't think I would ever get one again for me.
    I don't have a hate for it like I once did. I think I was so happy to land this machine on the hype in HUO condition, and was so let down in the play (to me at the time), and it made the entire experience involving it negative.
    I still don't think I could have it for long in my gameroom, but I can definitely enjoy it at other's. Who knows what the future holds though.
    Does this mean we can be friends now?

Consider it done. (we need the "cheers mug toast emoticon for this)

#581 9 years ago

I bought 3 great classic pins a few weeks ago - Andromeda, Lightning and Magic - and they went straight to my storage unit. My plan is to bring them into the gameroom one-by-one, as I get other games ready and folded up for SFGE (BK, Space Station).

I'm only about 8 hours away from finishing my WW playfield swap, but I can't stand to look at it right now because somewhere the GI sockets are being driven by the coil voltage. Instead of working on that, I've been binge-watching documentaries.

4 months later
    #582 8 years ago

My girlfriend wants to see Jurassic World tonight (obviously I do too, but I never need to see a movie opening night).

Told her we "have" to see the 7:30 showing which was met with the "what, are you an old man now?". Said the next showing was at 10:30pm (fact... however there are FIVE more places within 30 min that are showing JW in the 8-10pm time frame, many with multiple showings) and I wasn't up for getting to bed at 1am.

The real truth - I just had two shipments from Marco arrive this week and my project pin is completely disassembled waiting for the new rubbers and whatnot. I also have golf with the boys at 9am tomorrow. Watch JW, get home at 10pm, try to give her the boot by 11pm, work on the machine until 1am, and then sleep for 7 hours before golf.

7:30pm... Only way she was going to get to see JW tonight

#583 8 years ago

I once sold a 2 thousand-maybe 2500 dollar car for 50 bucks, because I was convinced it had a mystery unfixable electric problem.
    The buyer brought a new battery, (which I told the idiot that I had already replaced with a new one twice, and it still wouldn't run, both batteries turned out to be defective blown batteries from the store!) This dumbass, He put HIS new battery in, started it up and drove off...

I felt like I just got my ass kicked by life!

#584 8 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

My girlfriend wants to see Jurassic World tonight (obviously I do too, but I never need to see a movie opening night).

try to give her the boot by 11pm

You had me up until trying to give your girlfriend the boot. Just a word of caution: I used to gently prod girlfriends toward the door...and they always ended up showing me the door. Took me 40 years to get married.

#585 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just a word of caution: I used to gently prod girlfriends toward the door...and they always ended up showing me the door. Took me 40 years to get married.

Story of my last 32 years. Too stubborn to make changes. I mean come on... tomorrow morning is going to be PERFECT golf weather, and my project pin needs attention!

#586 8 years ago

Too sick and doped up to work yesterday, and my first thought was "Woo hoo, pinball all day!"
    Found out that heavy painkillers do not alter my ability my play.
    Have a nasty sinus/tooth infection that makes eating nearly impossible and my face really hurts.
    Antibiotics seem to be making good progress and the heavy duty painkillers are helping to make life livable.
    But my pinball play is no better or worse on painkillers than without.
    I'm sort of disappointed that there is no difference. I was really looking for an improvement.

#587 8 years ago

I always laughed at my sister for having heated seats in Florida. Now I kind of want them for that purpose alone!

I spent a ton of time today trying to diagnose why the flashers aren't working in one of my WPC games, only to find out the flashers are disabled with the coin door open. I just stupidly assumed they would be re-enabled in the test menu, since that's what it is for! >_<

#588 8 years ago

I cooked hot dogs wrapped in foil on the Jeep's engine on the way to the ball game. Whatever works!

#589 8 years ago

I really, really hate AC DC.

#590 8 years ago

I like Flintstones much more than BSD.

#591 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

I once made a wire gate (the swinging part of a one way gate) out of a paper clip.

+1. Just did this actually

#592 8 years ago

I have had 3 sets of mirror blades for 2 years.

I have zero machines with mirror blades.

#593 8 years ago

Everytime I stop and think about pinball I feel a little embarassed how stupid it sounds. Spending thousands of dollars to bat a ball bearing around. But i enjoy it everytime I play it and it does take my mind off everything else.

Aside from much it cost, I would be really embarrassed if anyone knew how much time I spend reading forums, looking for deals, and listening to podcast. It really is a lot of time.

#594 8 years ago

I picked up the front of one of my games to save the ball a few days ago...

#595 8 years ago

I still haven't finished my Grand Lizard restoration... From 2012.

Hey,
    At least I still <3 "hairdick" backglasses though!
    (page 4)

#596 8 years ago

The Fish Tales tattoo in my avatar isn't real,I drew it with texta's.

#597 8 years ago

I like the original Shadow translite

#598 8 years ago

Damm that's some good drawing

#599 8 years ago

Sigh.... Been wanting to put this in but put it off for sanity's sake. Screw it, maybe someone will learn something and avoid the embarrassment.

I have owned a Hakko 808 for almost a year now. I love it. I will never sell it. I cannot do board work without it. One day, it ceased to work. It had been intermittently weak for a few days but then it just quit altogether. After running the cleaning rod through for the thousandth time, I decided to look a little deeper. Watched some utube vids on how to clean the pumps. Easy day. Done and done. Damn thing still won't suck! As I roll it around in my hand for the hundredth time, I see that the screen behind the removable part that holds the old solder is very dirty. So I take a fresh cotton swab with a little 97% on it and go to scrub it. And it starts to disintegrate. And I realize that it's a filter. And I suddenly recall a little packet of four of them in the case I haven't looked in since I bought it. Took my tweezers and a pick and extracted the remainder of a VERY filthy and quite original paper/cotton filter. Put in a new one. Sun of a gun works like a champ now. The whole time as it got dirtier, the stupid filter looked for all the world like a little metal screen. See what I get for never looking in the manual?

#600 8 years ago

You want a confession. Well this is my day and I got the announcement. I will forever be known as

"The Guy Who Colored Popeye".

Deal with that

There are 12,483 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 250.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.