Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171129_165317 (resized).jpg
    20171129_165249 (resized).jpg
    20171129_171557 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm seeing a lot more coffee tables and wall hanging heads made from Ems. Could be old stock taking advantage of current higher prices for pins.
    Then I clicked on 3 heads taken from desirable wedgehead machines for 175 a piece. I don't know the story but fear the bodies were going to trendy furniture. If something like this took off it would be the death knell for a lot of restorable Titles.
    We have all seen the pictures of dusty storage places filled with project/junk machines (Vic Camps recent thread for one). Even though these rarely come up for sale in the usual ways they are out there.
    I realize some machines reach part status and help others keep running.
    Just hate these coffee table Pin Coffins.

#2 6 years ago

I feel the same way every time I see a classic car made up into a hot rod instead of it being ALL stock.

John

#3 6 years ago

Trust me phil....I am sickened that a 1964 Shipmates became three pieces of furniture currently on Craigs List in North Carolina. I want the perfect backglass in the coffee table so badly on the Ship Mates I am having restored. The hell if I will pay 830 dollars for a destroyed machine for a backglass. Grrrrrr... *deep sigh*

#4 6 years ago

So if the younger crowd want these things one of the big Retailers will respond with an offer.
    Another bootstrap Business will be successful but a further bell tolling for old EM carcasses.

#5 6 years ago

I just made these recently,Had the 2 bingo playfields fall into my lap from an auction so no complete machine was harmed!For me it was a choice between wall hangar or coffee table and glad I went ahead with these,Like the art!

20171129_171557 (resized).jpg20171129_171557 (resized).jpg

20171129_165249 (resized).jpg20171129_165249 (resized).jpg

20171129_165317 (resized).jpg20171129_165317 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Trust me phil....I am sickened that a 1964 Shipmates became three pieces of furniture currently on Craigs List in North Carolina. I want the perfect backglass in the coffee table so badly on the Ship Mates I am having restored. The hell if I will pay 830 dollars for a destroyed machine for a backglass. Grrrrrr... *deep sigh*

Rat_Tomago check with Mayfair Amusements to see if they have a nos in stock. Ask Pinsider too-many-pins if he has one. Ask http://pinballglass.homestead.com and www.shayarcadegroup.com if they will consider making this repro backglass. Try posting in the Facebook group Pinball Machines and Parts Wanted. Ask Shawn Christian in the dallas Facebook group if he can help you find this title

#7 6 years ago

If it makes you feel any better they will be making them out of TAF's and MM's in about 30 years.

#8 6 years ago

God forbid people do what they want with things they own......

#9 6 years ago

I wonder if these are mostly made by Pinheads that see an opportunity to sell useless parts that have been up-cycled to hipsters. Or if these are mostly made by hipsters that don’t understand that these are useful parts that they are destroying to make furniture.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I wonder if these are mostly made by Pinheads that see an opportunity to sell useless parts that have been up-cycled to hipsters. Or if these are mostly made by hipsters that don’t understand that these are useful parts that they are destroying to make furniture.
    One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I recently parted out a nice looking Stern Hot Hand pin. Back glass was just OK. The play field is a nice one, not perfect, but nice. At most, this pin would worth $600.00; Maybe $800.00 on a good day. But all of the boards were bad and the Altek replacement boards would cost over $400.00. The percentages were not there.

The cab, back box, the wiring, and parts are going to be donor parts for another build of a different pin. My need of these parts are why I bought the pin, in the first place.

4,117 Hot Hands were produced. There are only 7 pinside people who have it on their wish list. It is not a high demand pin.

I tried to sell the back glass and there were no takers since there was some flaking; The back glass is now a wall hanging.

I'm not sure how I will deal with the play field. One option is a wall hanging; Another is this coffee table business that seems to be happening, but good wood is not cheap and the labor to build a nice coffee table is more than a few hours. The last option is to restore the play field which would not be cheap, either.

The play field is very nice. Not perfect, but perfect but very nice. And I am thinking about using it as a practice unit to learn airbrush and touch up skills. Followed by clear coating. And the then try to sell it that way.

But it could just as easily wind up as a coffee table and you all would know the back story.

1 month later
    #11 6 years ago

Since the original Post I have been educated on all things Pinball Furniture. I apologize for any implied criticism for what others do with their property.
    I may have my first candidate for conversion soon, a water damaged cab but intact play field and backglass.
    Already restore old furniture and vintage wood encasing a play field does indeed look cool. The backglass can go in a salvaged frame as well, good stuff.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

a water damaged cab

That would make a great planter to grow tomatoes in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-coffee-table-trend?hl=brian541 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.