IMG_9257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9256 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9233 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9242 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9230 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9218 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9211 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Welcome to the Cocktail Club! The group of pins that is most often overlooked and regularly stumbled upon.

This place is for everybody that owns and/or likes one or more cocktail pinball machines. Feel free to show them off! Tell your story!

I'll start with my Night Moves. I bought it a few years ago. My reasons: For starters, cocktail pins are quite a rarity in Europe and I like more obscure machines. I also like Gottlieb games of this vintage. And it's the only machine I can (and want to) fit in my small living room.

It's a nifty little machine with some innovative software. I just made a video for it. Check it out!

So... who's next?

#7 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great compliments, guys! Video editing is a hobby that combines nicely with pinball. It does take a lot of effort to make a video like this one though, so it's extra awesome to get such nice replies.

I've got some videos for other pins on my Youtube channel Ballen van Staal. Feel free to check them out as well. And subscribe if you like. I don't post many videos, but I do like to put an effort in the ones I make.

Quoted from Rustyck:

Nice job on the lighting - which lights did you use for the inserts?

Thanks! All lights in the game are Noflix Plus from Pinball Center (Germany).

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

I feel that if the code just had one or two more tricks the game would be even more amazing! I would double the scores or add a jackpot for multiball (it need something to make multi ball worth it), increase points for "switching balls" (because it seems like that is one of the main points and features of the game), and if that stand up target on the right marked "special" was incorporated more it would add another shot.

Those are definitely some good ideas! Like more Premier games, some refinements in the software department are very welcome. Maybe someday...

I have set 'special' to award an extra ball on mine. You can also set it to award points when lit. Makes going for that target a lot more interesting!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I have 3 cocktails, Night Moves among them. I also have a Roy Clark and a Vegas. All three fit nicely in my bedroom.

That's a pretty cool cocktail collection, congratulations! I've been wondering: is the basic structure of all these cabinets the same? Did the manufacturers copy the design from each other? Or are there more differences than meets the eye?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I have a Rotation VIII, it is a typical 8 ball pool game with some good shots and a progressing saucer for point and to light the pops. It's probably the funnest game to drain a ball on because you get to watch the table rotate to the next person.

Cool! A rare machine, especially in fully functional condition. Was it a lot of work to get it going?

1 month later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Night Moves came home yesterday! I love this game.

Question for the group: Who did the art on the International Concepts games? We know that they're Gottlieb productions designed by Trudeau, but I've never seen the artwork credited. I suspect it's the work of Larry Day - the figures and faces look similar in style to his work on Rock, the silhouetted palm trees remind me of Hollywood Heat and the tiger stripe texture is a lot like his work on Spring Break.
But Day quit Gottlieb/Premier in 1988, a year before Night Moves was produced. Is it more likely that Constantino Mitchell did the art or that Day was hired back as a freelancer for this little side project?

If you look closely at this picture of the Night Moves white wood, you can see that it says 'HIGH CANNON BALLERS' in the score display whilst the high scores are showed. The production game says 'NIGHT MOVERS'. To me, this indicates that the machine might have been rethemed relatively late in the process. Maybe due to feedback from International Concepts? Who knows...

It might be a long shot, but it wouldn't surprise me if time became a factor, so Premier used a theme and artwork that they had laying on a shelf somewhere. Which might just be Larry Day's work. Another theory is indeed that, when time became a factor, they hired Day as a freelancer on the project.
Night Moves white wood (source: ipdb.org)Night Moves white wood (source: ipdb.org)

3 weeks later
#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thanks, playfield on Night looked a little like Caribian to me.

Both cocktail pins with blue displays made by Premier and sold by International Concepts. Different in just about every other aspect.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Im currently getting a Foxy lady up and running. The pic below is another one i picked up for way to much, $50 bucks. Got it hoping solinoid board is good. Look at this beauty!

Ouch... extremely nasty. That playfield looks beyond repair. Who does that to a pin?! Hope you knew what you were getting before you took the effort to pick this one up. Did you at least get a good solenoid board out of it?

3 months later
#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Hey guys, can anyone lend me some wisdom for my cocktail troubles? I finally got my Night Moves, and I'm happy with it, but this MPU is totally wrecked. Are there any suggestions on how to test it, where to begin? There was a lot of corrosion and oxidation on the chips... lots of the blue crystallized crap on the legs of the socketed chips... Are they completely toasted and how do I test the eproms?
Help me get this Night Moves up and running!

Welcome to the club!

My advise for you is to post your question in the club for Gottlieb owners:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club. Somebody there should probably be able to get you going. There's much more technical knowledge about Gottlieb System 80b there than in this club.

Good luck fixing your machine! Night Moves is a very fun little game.

1 month later
#50 6 years ago

This might be a system 80b club question. But can anyone post a guide or pictures of how to do the grounding mod on Night Moves??
There is no space to remove the screws that attach the pins to the metal frame. So do I have to remove the power supply completely to get them off?
I was also told to clip the connectors off completely and crimp an eyelet on the wires and screw them directly to the metal frame using the existing screws that hold the grounding pins.
What kind of eyelets should I use and what’s the best way to attach them? I can’t imagine crimping 8 wires to a single eyelet. It also seems more of a hassle than simply making the grounding pins work.

On a later 80B's like NM, I usually only make sure that there's 2 wires for the 5v and 2 wires for ground in the double edged connector between mpu and driver board.

A more elaborate approach is needed for system 80, 80A and early 80B. Night Moves however is a late (actually the last) system 80B.

#52 6 years ago

Okay, even those I'm not very familar with. How do I find out which is which and does that mean I have to add wires to the connector??

Watch this video. It's about system 80 and 80A, but the procedure for the double edged connector is the same for 80B.

On 5:35 you see an explanation of what I mean. And yes: If the wires aren't there already, you will have to add them.

4 months later
#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Grabbed my second cocktail this weekend and from what I hear this is only one of a few that works

Nice! Watch that right flipper rubber though. It's a bit off.

Video?

1 month later
#90 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I've got a ton into this, very proud of this thing it's my little R2D2. lol It has blue post lights tied to the club rio inserts that chase, behind clear lolypop targets with clear Gottlieb target faces done in teal and pink alternating rings! I am trying to convert the flippers easily to later Gottlieb marked pointy flippers with a machinist. Mini mirror blades, clear flasher domes, clear pops, clear bodies, teal pop skirts, blue superbands, nvram, freplay rom, clear buttons, blue coin door reject buttons, full set of custom plastic protectors, silver ball wpc style shooter rod, hudson bearings for casters (ultimate cocktail roller feet), ice blue gi, 15 ice blue comet bonus strips, several post lights and 20 more to go in! I have all the original parts and nothing I've done or will do can't be converter back to stock other than clearing the pf. This was a rare 1st run of Night Moves where the pf angle was not deep enough, you can see the difference in the cabinet (has more knee room) and in the hockey style guards on the apron that are much smaller.

Wow. That's the most pimped out cocktail pin I've ever seen. Very cool. Could you tell (or better: show) me how you attached the Hudson bearings? I'd like to add them to my Night Moves!

2 months later
#151 5 years ago

I just saw this in another post and thought you guys might like to see it. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-nib-caribbean-cruise-night-moves-newton-north-carolina)

4(!) NIB cocktail pins were auctioned off in a storage unit auction. 2 Carribean Cruises, 1 Night Moves and 1 unknown. At least one of the CC'S seems to have had mice in them.

I really hope that one of you guys snagged them, because they went for a steal...

https://storageauctions.com/auction-unit/unit-details/14618

Universal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114276 (resized).jpgUniversal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114276 (resized).jpg
Universal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114274 (resized).jpgUniversal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114274 (resized).jpg
Universal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114278 (resized).jpgUniversal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114278 (resized).jpg
Universal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114281 (resized).jpgUniversal Storage Group_27 Of JulyAuction_Unit_14618_114281 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180728-001059_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180728-001059_Chrome (resized).jpg

1 week later
#166 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

And this morning when I went downstairs it boots fine. Is it possible something is overheating and if so where should I start?

How's the cpu for acid damage?

#167 5 years ago

Oh and adjust that left flipper please. Nothing to do with the malfunction you mention, but my autistic eye can't stand misadjusted flippers

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

It seems like your battery may be charging and that could pop it, I'd just yank it out the game should work fine without it in, it just won't remember all the high scores except for the 1st one and it will keep the play count.

It won't even remember the 1st high score. It would need a battery for that

luckycreature You're fine. Just solder it out, carefully.

1 week later
#184 5 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

Also can anyone with a NM confirm for me the flipper coils used? Mine are both different & seems both have been replaced at some point. I'd like to know the proper spec coils that should be in there.

They're 24161's. Mine still has the originals in there. The number is also printed on the playfield underneath the flipper mech.

8 months later
#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Deerlakes6:

I noticed others in this thread in the 2000s also... maybe they started with 2001 ??

All registered CC's on ipsnd.net are in the 2000's.

If everybody registers their machines here, we will have a better image of the total amount of machines built.

http://www.ipsnd.net/view.aspx?id=3003

#254 4 years ago

Opinions please! Sunlight (left) or Cold White (right) GI on Night Moves?

The Sunlight side is the brightness I'm looking for. If I go for Cold White, I'll go for something a little brighter.

20190426_104559 (resized).jpg20190426_104559 (resized).jpg
#258 4 years ago

Thanks for your opinions guys! Much appreciated.

Quoted from TopMoose:

Cold white. It may not be original, but it suits the game's 80's dance club theme a lot better.

Having fully changed to Sunlight now, I can definitely say I agree with this. Night Moves is one of those rare games that looks much better in Cold White. Actually, Sunlight makes this game look kind of bland, imho.

Why the change to Sunlight then? Well, the Cold Whites I had in there were starting to get really dim. I'll be changing back to Cold White once I've ordered some brighter ones.

20190426_153103 (resized).jpg20190426_153103 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#289 4 years ago

Welcome to the club @rsos1. I'll gladly take a picture of mine when I'm back from my holiday.

1 week later
#294 4 years ago

Here you go rsos1 ! Hope this helps.

Don't pay too much attention to the wheel that's installed instead of a leveler. Night Moves came with regular levelers installed. I installed the wheels myself later on. The bracket remains unchanged, as the wheels have the same size thread.
20190819_102602.jpg20190819_102602.jpg20190819_102618.jpg20190819_102618.jpg20190819_102658.jpg20190819_102658.jpg

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from rsos1:

This is perfect thank you so much! Definitely missing these peices. Anyone know if they can be purchased? Otherwise I suppose I could Fab some up.

You're welcome!

They look like they're made especially for this purpose. You could try emailing Pinball Resource. They bought all the Gottlieb parts when they went out of business.

Otherwise, I think fabbing something up might be your best choice. Unless someone has parted one of these out.

Good luck!

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

If you're missing those brackets, you can probably get away with using t-nuts in the holes above where the bracket was. The holes are there for levelers to be able to back up into them from the bracket, but probably a t-nut can be installed directly in those holes.

Oof, I don't think I would recommend that. There's probably a reason the designers spread the weight over the side panels instead of using the floor panel for that.

#301 4 years ago

Awesome! Are they the correct size? I do hope they're thick enough to carry the weight of the machine.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

I joined the club this week with THREE Caribbean Cruise!
I just got 3 clearly all original machines (#76,#131, and #135), about 1% in America lol.
Something to note, IPDB lists this game as 1989.
All 3 have copyright 1990 boards in them.
So if they started releasing them in 1989 (possible) it was definitely 1990 before they assembled even 20% of them.
They're all in *great* shape; I'm sprucing them up with NVRAM and titans and such, and then I'll be listing two of them (it plays so well I think I have to keep one).
If anyone is interested before I posted them to marketplace, feel free to PM me.

Pics or it didn't happen!

3 weeks later
#311 4 years ago

I'm looking for the guy from Germany that almost bought my Night Moves a few years ago. I seem to have lost his contact details, but I know he reads this forum.

German guy (sorry I forgot your name as well) if you read this, please get in contact with me through a pm. Or through Whatsapp, if you still have my number.

1 month later
#318 4 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Welcome to the Cocktail Club! The group of pins that is most often overlooked and regularly stumbled upon.
This place is for everybody that owns and/or likes one or more cocktail pinball machines. Feel free to show them off! Tell your story!
I'll start with my Night Moves. I bought it a few years ago. My reasons: For starters, cocktail pins are quite a rarity in Europe and I like more obscure machines. I also like Gottlieb games of this vintage. And it's the only machine I can (and want to) fit in my small living room.
It's a nifty little machine with some innovative software. I just made a video for it. Check it out!
So... who's next?

As of tomorrow, I'm out of the club that I started 2 years ago, guys. It was fun while it lasted. Sometimes you have to make choices in life.

My Night Moves is going to a new owner. It has to make room for a new game. Here is a picture of the two, side by side.

IMG_20191114_001317 (resized).jpgIMG_20191114_001317 (resized).jpg
#322 4 years ago

Aww, how sad
You’ve got a very nice collection, and I can understand that Night Moves eventually will get replaced by better games. I’m on the fence at times but the form factor you can’t really beat!

Thank you for your kind words!

Night Moves is a very handsome game, in more ways. It's like Atari_Daze mentions: f I even come across another one, i'll certainly be tempted to buy it. But for now, selling is the best choice.

1 month later
#337 4 years ago

Heads up for Rotation VIII owners in need of parts. A seller in The Netherlands is parting one out. I'm not affiliated to him and I have no idea what his prices are.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/verzamelen/automaten-flipperkasten/m1493250284-rotation-8-bally-midway.html

MP01.jpgMP01.jpgMP02.jpgMP02.jpg
1 month later
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

The N for Night Moves seems to be out most of the time, but then it popped on a few times, but then back off. N never works in attract mode though.
The I seems to be working in attract mode but sometimes it doesn't work in game. And those are on a special board it looks like.
Any idea how to remove that board and/or change the lights on it?

To take the lamp board underneath the NIGHT MOVES inserts off, you first remove the connector from it. There's a small latch on top of these connectors that you push while you pull the connector out. Then remove the connection on the four corners of the board, either by squeezing the white connection things through the board, or by unscrewing the screws that go into the playfield.

Once the board is removed, you'll discover that every insert has 3 lamps. The middle lamps act like regular controlled lights during attract mode and gameplay. The game uses these middle lamps the most.

The outer lamps give a flashing effect during certain parts of the game, i.e. during multiball. The game uses these far less.

I fitted the outer lamps with bright, colored leds in a rainbow pattern when I had the game. This made the effect they gave much more noticable and enjoyable than the regular 44's did.

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

The LED idea might be cool... Might try that later on.
I did manage to change out all the burnt bulbs(think they're all changed out...).

I do need to sort out the battery.
I think TNT amusements might be the way to go to figure out that issue. I'll just watch a video on Night Moves. They should have one, and they're generally pretty informative vids.

Sounds like you're moving ahead nicely. If you like to see the rainbow effect in action, watch my video in the first ever post of this topic on page 1.

TNT has a few great videos on Night Moves. I highly recommend them. The ones on Carribean Cruise are also worthwile. NM and CC have a shared history. Todd shares it in the videos.

About the battery: the original is a little black box on the side of the MPU with 'Data Sentry' written on it. If it's still there, you definitely want to remove it to prevent leakage. If you want the memory to work, there are non-leaking replacement options available.

#358 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Thanks. I actually watched a TNT video about Night Moves yesterday and he pointed out the battery.
But, what really is strange.
The owner who I bought it from is not a pinballer(I detailed it in my first posting in this thread). And so the machine was left alone since he owned it, and his mother was the one who bought it. Because, they wanted a "Franchise". And of course it was never placed.
So, I'm a bit shocked that the battery still works. As I know its never been replaced(or if its been replaced not for the time the man has owned it). I'm going to be taking it out probably later today.
The rubbers were all dry rotted and I don't think the playfield was ever waxed.
All in all the playfield is in good condition. Not great. The display has risen up a few from the playfield and a few inserts are no longer flush as well. But, really while those issues slightly impact the game. Not enough to really hurt the enjoyment.
Now the next thing I will look at will be the battery replacement options. I want dependable and easy to install.
Thanks again for all the help and input guys.
This machine might have been one of my best pinball purchases for the buck.

I think you can adjust the display plastic to be more flush with the playfield. You do this underneath the playfield, using the plastic bolts. Do be careful, as these are, well, plastic.

May I ask how much you paid for your machine?

2 weeks later
#376 4 years ago

My opinion: Remove it, asap. Better safe than sorry. It's really not a big endeavour. You could have come a long way instead of writing up that last post.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I don't think you realize how slow I am when I work on anything. Not very good at this kind of stuff... I don't want to damage or break anything. and not certain how to really go about doing either the removal. or the nvram install. Trying to find videos of similar stuff online.

I don't think that battery and its acid really care about how slow you might be.

It's all about priorities. It's your machine, you can do whatever you want with it. Anybody who has dealt with acid damage on an mpu will tell you to remove the battery from that board, rather sooner than later. Still. Your machine. Your energy. Your call. But also: your problem when it goes wrong. And wrong it will go, eventually.

Realise that waiting could make things a lot harder. If you wait too long, there will be a *lot* more to do than just a battery pack to remove. Worst case? You will be not only be ordering a new MPU, but also find yourself torturing yourself by repinning all the connectors to the MPU, because the acid also went into them. Believe me, you don't want that. It will not only cost you money, patience and energy, but also 100 times more backache than smartly removing that battery.

Also realise that a clean, original Gottlieb system 80b MPU is becoming quite a rarity these days. If you have one, cherish it. And keep it clean by removing that battery.

If you're scared that things might go wrong, ask people here how to do it, step by step. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the help you will get. Maybe you can even get a skillful pinhead to do it for you. I would, if I lived close.

So. Long write. Excuse me for that. If you have any questions on how to go ahead: shoot! If you're looking for a different answer to the question if you should remove the battery: you are simply not supposed to get that in a community that cares to keep pinball alive.

1 month later
#396 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

So, does anyone have a full rundown of the rules on Night Moves?
I saw in an earlier post about the 8 second timer for the spinner. I never knew this, and it got me thinking about other rules I don't know on the game...

This video explains quite a lot of the rules.

3 weeks later
#398 3 years ago

Nice find, Tom! I would love one of these as a dining table. Any owners willing to sell?

Posting the entire ad here for reference.

image-1.pngimage-1.png
#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Picked up a Fascination Circa 1933. Doesn't boot and not getting the 5 volts to the MPU. Gonna have to rebuild or change the power supply.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on a very cool looking machine. Same color scheme as Centaur!

1 month later
#438 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Joined! Game is awesome and hilarious. My first Gottlieb.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking fabulous!

4 months later
#487 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottThePhotog:Well, I just joined the cocktail club a about 2 weeks ago. I hadn't been necessarily looking for one, but happened to spot a Night Moves for sale semi-locally on Facebook. After a 3-hour round trip adventure and paying more for it than my wife wanted me to, I returned with a fully working Night Moves that was in dire need of a good cleaning. There were cobwebs all over the inside. Curiously enough, the previous owner had started doing a LED conversion as well as new rubber pieces, but didn't do everything. All of the under play field lights were changed to colored LED to match the inserts, except the inner row under "Night Moves". Those were left as incandescent 47s, as well as all of the above play field lights, half of which were burned out. I ended up keeping the LED under the play field and replacing the burnt out 47s with new 47s. I also put in some 89 flasher bulbs as the other ones were super dim. I think they were like 215s?
The previous owner had replaced about 80-90% of the rubber, but left some obviously rotten and easily accessible pieces. I'm not sure why they didn't finish the job and how on earth they did all the work to it and not clean the cobwebs out. The play field was super dirty as well, but in good condition under all the dirt. At first I thought the displays were dying because they were so dim. Turned out the underside of the blue display cover and the top of the displays were covered with dust and cobwebs. They are nice and bright now. The lower display has a little bit of ghosting, so I'll probably re-flow solder joints at some point.
Interestingly, it has the wrong pop bumper tops. I see that they are supposed to be yellow, but mine are white with a 10-point red star. Any idea what pin those are supposed to be for? I honestly like them better than the standard yellow, so I'll keep them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice find! Congrats!

1 month later
#533 3 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I joined the club today. Oldest pin I have owned. Excited to learn from it. Plays great!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! Great little game.

Your General Illumination looks quite dim. Are those old leds? Or does it still have incandescants in it?

5 months later
#734 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

It cleaned up ok. Now it needs to be touched up and clear coated.
[quoted image]

Holy shit man, that's not for the squeamish. If you are really fixing that up, I would love to see the result. Best of luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cocktail-club?tu=Jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.