IMG_9258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9256 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9233 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9242 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9230 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9218 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9211 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9213 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 25.
#1 6 years ago

Welcome to the Cocktail Club! The group of pins that is most often overlooked and regularly stumbled upon.

This place is for everybody that owns and/or likes one or more cocktail pinball machines. Feel free to show them off! Tell your story!

I'll start with my Night Moves. I bought it a few years ago. My reasons: For starters, cocktail pins are quite a rarity in Europe and I like more obscure machines. I also like Gottlieb games of this vintage. And it's the only machine I can (and want to) fit in my small living room.

It's a nifty little machine with some innovative software. I just made a video for it. Check it out!

So... who's next?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Welcome to the Cocktail Club! The group of pins that are most often overlooked and regularly stumbled upon.
This place is for everybody that owns and/or likes one or more cocktail pinball machines. Feel free to show them off! Tell your story!
I'll start with my Night Moves. I bought it a few years ago. My reasons: For starters, cocktail pins are quite a rarity in Europe and I like more obscure machines. I also like Gottlieb games of this vintage. And it's the only machine I can (and want to) fit in my small living room.
It's a nifty little machine with some innovative software. I just made a video for it. Check it out!
» YouTube video
So... who's next?

Nice job on the lighting - which lights did you use for the inserts?

#3 6 years ago

Night Moves owner checking in! Love the music! That is a great video you made! I find if I trap the ball on my left flipper hitting that left loop shot with a backhand is pretty easy. That spinner being lit is awesome for points.

I feel that if the code just had one or two more tricks the game would be even more amazing! I would double the scores or add a jackpot for multiball (it need something to make multi ball worth it), increase points for "switching balls" (because it seems like that is one of the main points and features of the game), and if that stand up target on the right marked "special" was incorporated more it would add another shot.

Cocktail club is a great idea! Some of them are pretty damn fun.

#4 6 years ago

IPDB has 39 Cocktail games listed.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

It's a nifty little machine with some innovative software.

Dude, you need a thread for your build on this, FANTASTIC!!!

#6 6 years ago

This is the best pinball video I've ever seen. I've owned this game for a couple years now and could not wrap my head around the rule set. Your video is so clear, I actually feel like I understand how to play the thing. I'm going to play some tonight.

Thanks.

Quoted from Jappie:

I just made a video for it. Check it out!

#7 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great compliments, guys! Video editing is a hobby that combines nicely with pinball. It does take a lot of effort to make a video like this one though, so it's extra awesome to get such nice replies.

I've got some videos for other pins on my Youtube channel Ballen van Staal. Feel free to check them out as well. And subscribe if you like. I don't post many videos, but I do like to put an effort in the ones I make.

Quoted from Rustyck:

Nice job on the lighting - which lights did you use for the inserts?

Thanks! All lights in the game are Noflix Plus from Pinball Center (Germany).

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

I feel that if the code just had one or two more tricks the game would be even more amazing! I would double the scores or add a jackpot for multiball (it need something to make multi ball worth it), increase points for "switching balls" (because it seems like that is one of the main points and features of the game), and if that stand up target on the right marked "special" was incorporated more it would add another shot.

Those are definitely some good ideas! Like more Premier games, some refinements in the software department are very welcome. Maybe someday...

I have set 'special' to award an extra ball on mine. You can also set it to award points when lit. Makes going for that target a lot more interesting!

#9 6 years ago

I have 3 cocktails, Night Moves among them. I absolutely LOVE the game. Double Your Score is what I shoot for! I too have learned that trapping the ball in the left flipper will almost always make an easy left loop shot. I managed a high score of 43,752,620 thanks to several "Double Your Score" shots.

I also have a Roy Clark and a Vegas. All three fit nicely in my bedroom.

IMG_2089 (resized).JPGIMG_2089 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

I have a Rotation VIII, it is a typical 8 ball pool game with some good shots and a progressing saucer for point and to light the pops. It's probably the funnest game to drain a ball on because you get to watch the table rotate to the next person.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I have 3 cocktails, Night Moves among them. I also have a Roy Clark and a Vegas. All three fit nicely in my bedroom.

That's a pretty cool cocktail collection, congratulations! I've been wondering: is the basic structure of all these cabinets the same? Did the manufacturers copy the design from each other? Or are there more differences than meets the eye?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I have a Rotation VIII, it is a typical 8 ball pool game with some good shots and a progressing saucer for point and to light the pops. It's probably the funnest game to drain a ball on because you get to watch the table rotate to the next person.

Cool! A rare machine, especially in fully functional condition. Was it a lot of work to get it going?

#13 6 years ago

I have a fully functional Caribbean Cruise and would love to get a Viza War

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Cool! A rare machine, especially in fully functional condition. Was it a lot of work to get it going?

Ya took a bit luckily I knew a local guy that was familiar with z80 stuff and got it up and running for me. Was also missing the keyboard but he made one for me

Quoted from Puffdanny:

I have a fully functional Caribbean Cruise and would love to get a Viza War

I have a couple of wars I'm hoping to get going one day. I think forceflow had or has one for sale

#15 6 years ago

He sold his at pinfest.I saw it for sale but with him taking it to a show I had no chance.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

That's a pretty cool cocktail collection, congratulations! I've been wondering: is the basic structure of all these cabinets the same? Did the manufacturers copy the design from each other? Or are there more differences than meets the eye?

Thanks, Jappie.

The cabinets are pretty much structured the same way, the International Concepts and Allied leisure machines have the coin mechs in the door, nice and compact, while the Game Plan pins have the coin mechs in the upper part of the cabinet with long chutes to drop the coins to the bottom. They all have the glass as part of the top panel that is easily removed by opening one or two locks in the front and / or back.

The allied leisure has two openings underneath in front and back where you can flip the brackets open to remove the glass. Intl Concepts/Gottlieb and Game Plan have a lock in the back that must be opened with a key, and the glass is lifted from the back and slid toward the back of the machine to unlatch the front. These are sometimes a little tricky to put back on as they have to be perfectly lined up.

I keep all the locks/brackets open.

All of the boards are arranged on the sides of the bottom part of the cabinet and the power supplies are generally on the bottom.

I like the Roy Clark machine because it has chimes. The Game Plans have annoying beeps, Of course, Night Moves has a killer sound system and music/sound effects. There is a bigger woofer and a smaller general speaker in Night Moves, bass is excellent.

Also, the Allied Leisure (At least the older ones) have a fan at the bottom front right of the cabinet. With age, the fan is very noisy.

The main difference is in the score displays. My allied leisure is an older one, 1976 I think, and has two score displays with RED LEDS lights to indicate number of players and ball in play, right in the top front or Apron Area, as well as a credits display and tilt and game over LEDs. Later Allied's have the 4 Player displays. Game Plan has the score displays in the same area, but there are 4 of them, and numeric displays for ball and number of players. The ball in play/number of players/match display is shared and there are lines and boxes to indicate what is in the display. This kind of detracts from the look. It's not very elegant. Lastly, the Night Moves / Caribbean Cruise machines have the display in the center of the playfield. This is a nice idea so you don't have to take your eyes off of the game to see the display information.

Allied Leisure Score.jpgAllied Leisure Score.jpg

Game Plan Score.jpgGame Plan Score.jpg

Night Moves Score.jpgNight Moves Score.jpg

#17 6 years ago

I love my coctail pins also .. Like to have more soon.caribbean Cruise..night moves..Disco 79

IMG_20170313_185703938 (resized).jpgIMG_20170313_185703938 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170203_062924705 (resized).jpgIMG_20170203_062924705 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170130_155211286 (resized).jpgIMG_20170130_155211286 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

I'm a member of this club!

Here's my Caribbean Cruise cabinet restore:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/caribbean-cruise-restoration-cocktail-pin#post-2558769

I like Caribbean Cruise quite a bit. The layout is unique. I haven't gotten a chance to play any others.

1 month later
#19 6 years ago

Night Moves came home yesterday! I love this game.

P7100135 (resized).JPGP7100135 (resized).JPG

Question for the group: Who did the art on the International Concepts games? We know that they're Gottlieb productions designed by Trudeau, but I've never seen the artwork credited. I suspect it's the work of Larry Day - the figures and faces look similar in style to his work on Rock, the silhouetted palm trees remind me of Hollywood Heat and the tiger stripe texture is a lot like his work on Spring Break.

But Day quit Gottlieb/Premier in 1988, a year before Night Moves was produced. Is it more likely that Constantino Mitchell did the art or that Day was hired back as a freelancer for this little side project?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Night Moves came home yesterday! I love this game.

Question for the group: Who did the art on the International Concepts games? We know that they're Gottlieb productions designed by Trudeau, but I've never seen the artwork credited. I suspect it's the work of Larry Day - the figures and faces look similar in style to his work on Rock, the silhouetted palm trees remind me of Hollywood Heat and the tiger stripe texture is a lot like his work on Spring Break.
But Day quit Gottlieb/Premier in 1988, a year before Night Moves was produced. Is it more likely that Constantino Mitchell did the art or that Day was hired back as a freelancer for this little side project?

If you look closely at this picture of the Night Moves white wood, you can see that it says 'HIGH CANNON BALLERS' in the score display whilst the high scores are showed. The production game says 'NIGHT MOVERS'. To me, this indicates that the machine might have been rethemed relatively late in the process. Maybe due to feedback from International Concepts? Who knows...

It might be a long shot, but it wouldn't surprise me if time became a factor, so Premier used a theme and artwork that they had laying on a shelf somewhere. Which might just be Larry Day's work. Another theory is indeed that, when time became a factor, they hired Day as a freelancer on the project.
Night Moves white wood (source: ipdb.org)Night Moves white wood (source: ipdb.org)

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

If you look closely at this picture of the Night Moves white wood, you can see that it says 'high cannon ballers' in the score display. To me, this indicates that the machine might have been rethemed relatively late in the process. Maybe due to feedback from International Concepts? Who knows...
It might be a long shot, but it wouldn't surprise me if time became a factor, so Premier used a theme and artwork that they had laying on a shelf somewhere. Which might just be Larry Day's work. Another theory is indeed that, when time became a factor, they hired Day as a freelancer on the project.

Excellent insight, Jappie, thanks! I've also noticed that the Night Moves promo flyer shows completely different, rather generic artwork - another indication that the final art was a last minute decision. I like the theory that it was adapted from Day's earlier, unused playfield artwork they had on hand.

If anyone knows Larry Day or anyone who was at Premier at the time, please ask - I'm genuinely curious about this!

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

I fitted my Night Moves with LED's and Titan silicone rings (mostly clear). It's looking like an 80's dream!

P7290166 (resized).JPGP7290166 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#23 6 years ago

Isnt night moves the same game as caribian cruise? So many cocktails where the same with different art.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Isnt night moves the same game as caribian cruise? So many cocktails where the same with different art.

Nope, totally different games.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Nope, totally different games.

Thanks, playfield on Night looked a little like Caribian to me.
Im currently getting a Foxy lady up and running. The pic below is another one i picked up for way to much, $50 bucks. Got it hoping solinoid board is good. Look at this beauty!

20170804_162655 (resized).jpg20170804_162655 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Thanks, playfield on Night looked a little like Caribian to me.

Both cocktail pins with blue displays made by Premier and sold by International Concepts. Different in just about every other aspect.

Im currently getting a Foxy lady up and running. The pic below is another one i picked up for way to much, $50 bucks. Got it hoping solinoid board is good. Look at this beauty!

Ouch... extremely nasty. That playfield looks beyond repair. Who does that to a pin?! Hope you knew what you were getting before you took the effort to pick this one up. Did you at least get a good solenoid board out of it?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

! Hope you knew what you were getting before you took the effort to pick this one up. Did you at least get a good solenoid board out of it?

I did, thanks for asking. Was going to do more on it today. All boards except cpu are good. Displays are good. Most of under playfield parts are good. Glass top good. Lots of salvageable parts.
How does this happen to a pin?
I asked lady...her quote, " i was drunk and high, it seemed like a good idea". Nothing against trailer parks, but it was were i had to go and get it. This craigslist transaction took almost 2 months to meet with people. I had written it off till they emailed one morning couple weeks back. It will never play. Cpu gone, gone, to much corrosion.

#28 6 years ago

I did, thanks for asking. Was going to do more on it today. All boards except cpu are good. Displays are good. Most of under playfield parts are good. Glass top good. Lots of salvageable parts.
How does this happen to a pin?
I asked lady...her quote, " i was drunk and high, it seemed like a good idea". Nothing against trailer parks, but it was were i had to go and get it. This craigslist transaction took almost 2 months to meet with people. I had written it off till they emailed one morning couple weeks back. It will never play. Cpu gone, gone, to much corrosion.

Ouch! That's really rough! Have you tried to remove the paint off the Playfield?
Wish this were closer to me, for $50 you can't go wrong! If you end up wanting to toss the playfield let me know. I'm interested.

Also this thread should get input from some other cocktails! Only seeing Night Moves and Caribbean Cruise! What about some weird ones like Spectra IV or maybe Rotation VIII
If anyone is thinking of selling some of the weirder cocktails in may be interested clearing out space today to finish projects and get things out the door!

#29 6 years ago

Here is what I have. Working 100%

IMG_3265 (resized).JPGIMG_3265 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

Thats a smokin cocktail!^^^^^^

#31 6 years ago

LOL, Never thought of it that way!

#32 6 years ago

Oh that one just stinks

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

Here is what I have. Working 100%

That's wild! Why is it a tobacco ad? I'm not familiar with this version of Foxy Lady!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That's wild! Why is it a tobacco ad? I'm not familiar with this version of Foxy Lady!

There's also Black velvet. This pin is in 4 versions. Easy for Game Plan just to re-brand for a new license. Foxy lady i believe was the last in thia table.

#35 6 years ago

There's also Black velvet. This pin is in 4 versions. Easy for Game Plan just to re-brand for a new license. Foxy lady i believe was the last in thia table.

Thanks for this! I didn't know, now I do!

2 months later
#36 6 years ago

Hey guys, can anyone lend me some wisdom for my cocktail troubles? I finally got my Night Moves, and I'm happy with it, but this MPU is totally wrecked. Are there any suggestions on how to test it, where to begin? There was a lot of corrosion and oxidation on the chips... lots of the blue crystallized crap on the legs of the socketed chips... Are they completely toasted and how do I test the eproms?

Help me get this Night Moves up and running!

MPU (resized).jpgMPU (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

Hey guys, can anyone lend me some wisdom for my cocktail troubles? I finally got my Night Moves, and I'm happy with it, but this MPU is totally wrecked. Are there any suggestions on how to test it, where to begin? There was a lot of corrosion and oxidation on the chips... lots of the blue crystallized crap on the legs of the socketed chips... Are they completely toasted and how do I test the eproms?
Help me get this Night Moves up and running!

Welcome to the club!

My advise for you is to post your question in the club for Gottlieb owners:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club. Somebody there should probably be able to get you going. There's much more technical knowledge about Gottlieb System 80b there than in this club.

Good luck fixing your machine! Night Moves is a very fun little game.

#38 6 years ago

Hi guys
I have 2 Night Moves but both developed an issue where the game starts and won't kick a ball out into the lane. They have been pushed to the back of the repair list. They are truly cool games and are fun to play. Love the 80's music!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi guys
I have 2 Night Moves but both developed an issue where the game starts and won't kick a ball out into the lane. They have been pushed to the back of the repair list. They are truly cool games and are fun to play. Love the 80's music!

Check the optos in the ball trough, the solder joints are usually cold. There is a good chance once you reflow them you'll be golden.

#40 6 years ago

So, I am a huge fan of cocktails, and have been amazing them for a few years. I have a fully working C. Cruise and Night Moves, a Rotation 8 (not working yet, but hopefully will be), a few Game Plan machines, two Viza War machines, and a whole bunch of Allied Leisure machines (most not working but for parts, etc). Some of these pics are from when I picked games up or bought them, so the are dirty or still in the warehouse or whatever.

C321E118-5710-4E51-83B9-E97629984FD2-1810-000001AD6207EEF8 (resized).JPEGC321E118-5710-4E51-83B9-E97629984FD2-1810-000001AD6207EEF8 (resized).JPEG

IMG_8538 (resized).JPGIMG_8538 (resized).JPG

IMG_8539 (resized).JPGIMG_8539 (resized).JPG

IMG_8537 (resized).JPGIMG_8537 (resized).JPG

IMG_8531 (resized).JPGIMG_8531 (resized).JPG

IMG_7946 (resized).JPGIMG_7946 (resized).JPG

17855195_10212256531759514_7403331359725649347_o (resized).jpg17855195_10212256531759514_7403331359725649347_o (resized).jpg

IMG_7896 (resized).JPGIMG_7896 (resized).JPG

IMG_7892 (resized).JPGIMG_7892 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

twitami your my hero!
I dream of a collection like that!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

So, I am a huge fan of cocktails, and have been amazing them for a few years. I have a fully working C. Cruise and Night Moves, a Rotation 8 (not working yet, but hopefully will be), a few Game Plan machines, two Viza War machines, and a whole bunch of Allied Leisure machines (most not working but for parts, etc). Some of these pics are from when I picked games up or bought them, so the are dirty or still in the warehouse or whatever.

Holy Smokes!! A Rotation VIII AND 2 Viza Wars?!?
What an incredible collection!!

#43 6 years ago

Are the wars working?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Are the wars working?

One fully, the other in progress but should be.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

One fully, the other in progress but should be.

What's your thoughts on it?I've heard it's kind of blah but I think it looks like a great game to battle a friend on.its high on my wish list but finding one working is not an easy task.

#46 6 years ago

Are there repair / replace options for allied leisure boards? Thinking about trying out a cocktail but I'm not sure what options are out there if it's not an easy fix. All the ones that show up are always non working.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

What's your thoughts on it?I've heard it's kind of blah but I think it looks like a great game to battle a friend on.its high on my wish list but finding one working is not an easy task.

It's terrible.

Or at least mine is.

Mine has seemingly different internals than some of them, and so this may not be exactly how it works on all of them, but the problem that I have with it is that it judges by score, but the scoring is super unbalanced and not worth shooting for with two exceptions - you get a big bunch of points when your opponent loses the ball, and also a big bunch when the ball goes through the center. In my game, the two are equal, so if you can manage to pass the ball through the center thing and get it back enough times, you can drain the ball on yourself and "win". If you just count how many times each person loses the ball, that makes it better, but the score is just weird.

In single player mode, my game scores both sides still independently, which makes even less sense. I think that would be sort of fun if one side did all the scoring, but nope.

The playfield layout is relatively weird and you can't easily pass the ball to your other flippers. This makes it difficult to really build an offense.

Of the different head to head games, I think Alvin G Soccer Ball is the best by FAAAAAAAAR. I keep my War because it's such a pain in the butt to move and they are nearly worthless and it's unique, but I can't say I have played it in years, and I don't care to.

3 weeks later
#48 6 years ago

I think War is fun. It def isnt amazing or anything, but it is a fun game for quick two player games. The two I have are slightly different, one has kickout holes on the playfield, and one doesnt. A few other minor differences. Right not my cocktails are in two places (my house and a space my friend is opening for pinball), but I will have them all at my friends place eventually for more people to see and play. I am up to about 20 of them now. And like 6 work..lol.

Here is a few of them at the place we are opening.

IMG_9495 (resized).JPGIMG_9495 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

This might be a system 80b club question. But can anyone post a guide or pictures of how to do the grounding mod on Night Moves??

There is no space to remove the screws that attach the pins to the metal frame. So do I have to remove the power supply completely to get them off?
I was also told to clip the connectors off completely and crimp an eyelet on the wires and screw them directly to the metal frame using the existing screws that hold the grounding pins.

What kind of eyelets should I use and what’s the best way to attach them? I can’t imagine crimping 8 wires to a single eyelet. It also seems more of a hassle than simply making the grounding pins work.

#50 6 years ago

This might be a system 80b club question. But can anyone post a guide or pictures of how to do the grounding mod on Night Moves??
There is no space to remove the screws that attach the pins to the metal frame. So do I have to remove the power supply completely to get them off?
I was also told to clip the connectors off completely and crimp an eyelet on the wires and screw them directly to the metal frame using the existing screws that hold the grounding pins.
What kind of eyelets should I use and what’s the best way to attach them? I can’t imagine crimping 8 wires to a single eyelet. It also seems more of a hassle than simply making the grounding pins work.

On a later 80B's like NM, I usually only make sure that there's 2 wires for the 5v and 2 wires for ground in the double edged connector between mpu and driver board.

A more elaborate approach is needed for system 80, 80A and early 80B. Night Moves however is a late (actually the last) system 80B.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 1,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cocktail-club/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.