Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2G3A9614 (resized).jpeg
    48902292_2017593708540150_8795798022379274240_o-4 (resized).jpg
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    ClaytorArcadeSign.jpg
    goosiesEverywhere.gif
    bye.gif
    woodrail01_2000px.jpg
    woodrail02_2000px.jpg
    claytorArcade_2000px.jpg
    Pano2000.jpg
    modernEM_2000px.jpg
    modernEM_2000pxPANO.jpg
    79BDF22A-D86D-49BE-8CE8-569CD68ED654 (resized).png
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    F894D5B7-3843-49C3-B042-78231AD91071.gif
    tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi Pinside,

I'm starting a basement remodel and thought I'd document it here. Currently, we have room for about 10 games and our goal is to finish an unfinished portion of our basement that will accommodate about 15 games. For those of you who have followed my threads in the past, you know you're in for a slow burn. So, buckle-up, buddies, and let's spin this yarn...

Prior to purchasing and moving into our current home, I mocked up a basement space that looked something like this:

preMoveIn (resized).jpgpreMoveIn (resized).jpg

At this time, 2014, we had 4 pinball machines. This made me feel pretty good, because I knew we'd have room for a few more games. When we moved in, it looked like this:

IMG_3213 (resized).JPGIMG_3213 (resized).JPG

IMG_3224 (resized).JPGIMG_3224 (resized).JPG

...which was a pretty amazing feeling to OWN our own house and have a few games to set up in a playable space.

But you guys all know how this story goes once you have one, so let's fast track this...

Circa late 2016:
    pano (resized).jpgpano (resized).jpg

Mid 2017:
    panoBasementMay2017 (resized).jpgpanoBasementMay2017 (resized).jpg

The Claytorian Flood of Early 2018:
    2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg

...and eventual resurrection:
    animation.gifanimation.gif

Finally, this is how our space has settled down as of 2019:
    ClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpgClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpg

...but that doesn't mean there aren't a few more lurking in the wings :
    Slide215 (resized).PNGSlide215 (resized).PNG

Because of that, I've had my eye on an unfinished portion of our basement that, until now, has been used largely for storage. I did some mock-ups of that space for our contractor:

view1 (resized).jpgview1 (resized).jpgview2 (resized).jpgview2 (resized).jpg

And started the daunting task of putting all our games on their butts for a couple (few? ) months and moving all of our accumulated sundry junk out of a particular space to be finished (the half-wall storage area):

view3 (resized).jpgview3 (resized).jpg

So, presently, this is what our glorious gameroom looked like during our Easter party:

Saturday, April 20, 2019:
    easter (resized).jpgeaster (resized).jpg
    ClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpgClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpg

Sunday, April 21, 2019, my helpful topless son assisted me in disassembling our fleet:
    IMG_20190421_103426990 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_103426990 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_105325330 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_105325330 (resized).jpg

...and eventually it looked like this:
    IMG_20190421_201805160 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_201805160 (resized).jpg

...ready to receive an avalanche of outgrown baby stuffs and mystery boxes largely unopened since we moved into this house 5 years ago:
    IMG_20190423_131605674 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_131605674 (resized).jpg

So that was today's task (Tuesday, April 23, 2019), which essentially cleared out roughly half of that half-wall storage area, which had very little organization.

IMG_20190423_131237728 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_131237728 (resized).jpg

Just a large open area that we hope to turn into a more usable and organized space with the addition of shelving and padded carpet (shown in the mock-ups above).

In an effort to compartmentalize this little venture and make it feel like perhaps some progress is being made, I tried to organize this undertaking into phases:

Phase 1: Clear-out half-wall storage
    Phase 2: Remodel half-wall storage with wardrobe, shelving, and padded carpet
    Phase 3: Move junk into remodeled half-wall storage and migrate junk from new game room onto new half-wall storage
    Phase 4: Remodel new game room with drywall, electrical, and padded carpet
    Phase 5: Paint walls
    Phase 6: Move games into remodeled game room
    Phase 7: Paint feature wall mural and incorporate neon sign
    Phase 8: Regain sanity and enjoy new space

I'm trying to have that storage space cleared and ready by May 1st, which is around when our contractor will be ready to start. ...still gotta pick out some carpet before then.

Here we go!!! Thanks in advance for taggin' along on this exciting and daunting ride with us.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Us too! BTW, I think I've mentioned this before, Lint, but nice avatar.

Quoted from Rody:

Best wishes Ryan for a project that meets you timeline and financial expectations (they rarely do!)

Ha-ha! So true, Rody. I'm trying to brace myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget.

whoops.gifwhoops.gif

Quoted from bingopodcast:

...you can always come down to VA to get your fix in if needed.

Don't tempt us, BingoPodcast! We've done it before!

Quoted from jeffc:

Excitement!!

beachDance.gifbeachDance.gif

Quoted from RCA1:

This looks awesome!
    You are going to have a sweet setup.
    (Nice bunny ears!)

Thanks, RCA1! See you at PatZ this weekend?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Have a Blast getting it done!

Doin' our best, OldPinGuy! Keepin' eyeses on prizes over here!

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Caught the Bally Hayride being worked on!

wayenavoid.gifwayenavoid.gif

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Have a Blast getting it done!

You know, they say the journey is the destination, but I kinda feel like in this case the destination is the destination. I mean, I sure hope this isn't the destination:

IMG_20190425_114441575.jpgIMG_20190425_114441575.jpg

Speaking of which, shrewd viewers may have noticed some additional garbage in that heap. It's because last night, the second half of that half-wall storage unit:

IMG_20190424_182434325.jpgIMG_20190424_182434325.jpg

...got cleared out:

IMG_20190425_112510101.jpgIMG_20190425_112510101.jpg

So that today a carpet guy could come do some measurements:

IMG_20190425_111149727.jpgIMG_20190425_111149727.jpg

He said this was the first time he'd seen this half-wall type of area.

Just a brief aside, we bought our place from the original owner/builder. We've since asked him, "Why the half-wall?" We assumed there was an obstruction of some sort. Maybe a sewer pipe or an immovable subterranean boulder or perhaps a pirate chest of doubloons that could help us with this remodel. But, no. It was strictly cost-cutting. I believe his response to us was something like, "You know, in retrospect, I could kick myself for not digging that out the rest of the way, as it would have only added another $200 - $300 to the cost of the build."

sigh.gifsigh.gif

#9 4 years ago

Minor updates: On Friday, I received the final quotes on both areas of carpet (cheap stuff for the half-wall storage area and also luxurious carpet and padding for the new arcade area). I handed over 50% payment for both areas and scheduled the soonest available installation for the half-wall storage area, which was about two and a half weeks away (May 14th). That's a lot longer than I hoped to wait, as I previously told my contractor he could start building the shelving on top of the carpet around May 1st. However, I repeated the aforementioned basement building mantra:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm trying to brace myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget.

So, I reluctantly accepted, but not before asking to be notified about any potential cancellations or openings in their schedule. They assured me I was on a list of one kind or another and, after hanging up, I left a voicemail with my contractor to let him know about the 2+ week delay.

Fast forward to today and I received a call from the carpet folks. Turns out they DID have an unexpected opening and now we'll be getting carpet installed on May 6th instead of the 14th.

Woo-hoo!

Once again, contractor was notified of this next change and, thankfully, he seems awfully calm, cool, and collected about the whole thing.

Until May 6th,
    Ryan

P.S. Dance break:

chickenDance.gifchickenDance.gif
    #12 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I know where you can get a machine for your half-wall area.
    [quoted image]

Man, that's a fun game. I'd pick that up off the curb in a heartbeat.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'm in, for the basement build, for more knowledge about building game rooms, for the animated gifs...

Thanks, Jim!

Quoted from xsvtoys:

...and maybe even an update on that retheme someday

fawlty.giffawlty.gif

Sooo...as you may have suspected, that's been back-burnered due to this basement remodel and other projects taking precedent, but it's still firmly in my mind (gnawing at the back of my brain).

THANK, JIM!!!

- --- ----- --- -

In other news, I received an order of pin-footies today:

IMG_20190501_124852066.jpgIMG_20190501_124852066.jpg

With this glorious gameroom carpet coming soon-ish, I wanted to be ready to plop some games on it without destroying it.

Shouts and thanks to Terry @pinballlife for distributing a great product finely crafted by @bryan_kelly !

#14 4 years ago

May the sixth be with you. And you know what that means. Carpet day for the half-wall storage area!

So the carpet installers showed up this morning:

censored (resized).jpgcensored (resized).jpg

After the tack strips went down, they got the padding installed in pretty short order:

IMG_20190506_120432944 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_120432944 (resized).jpg

...and wrapped it up post-lunch. After which I ran our vacu-bot a couple of times:

IMG_20190506_131205366 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_131205366 (resized).jpg

And, by golly, I think that's about the best this awkward little space is ever going to look:

IMG_20190506_150205212 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_150205212 (resized).jpg

Now it's prepped and ready for the shelving:

IMG_20190506_150225386 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_150225386 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, the contractor (scheduled to install the shelving tomorrow) won't be able to make it here until next week.

Living my mantra over here:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...brac[ing] myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget...

Until next (week's) update, stay classy, Pinside.

Dance Break!

shrimpDance.gifshrimpDance.gif

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

wtf is this shrimp dance from?! i MUST see the source.

Quoted from EasternBloc:

I concur and need to see this source as well!

I honestly have no idea. Just found it in my typical searches for animated gifs. Sorry. Pretty glorious, though, right!?

Quoted from Pecos:

I don't want that image in my brain all day.

You're welcome.

Quoted from Pecos:

Your basement remodel is going to be awesome...

Thanks, Pecos! Here's hoping!

Quoted from Pecos:

...looking forward to seeing it done!

Us, too!!!

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Cinderblock walls + carpet = Better keep them downspouts clear.

Word-up. We've got those gutter covers installed all over the house, and outside of a check-valve failure, our basement has been quite dry for the 5 years we've lived here. *knocking on wooden crossed fingers holding horseshoes and rabbit feet*

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Good luck with the project. Going to be worth it.

Aw yeah.

Quoted from desertT1:

If there is one thing I wish I had at home, it's a basement.

Come to Michigan (I say as a former Californian). We're lousy with basements and reasonably priced real estate over here.

Since we're all just twiddling our thumbs until next week, I thought I'd mention another bit of excitement. About 5 days ago, my buddy, Nick bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project. Here's an excerpt from an email we just received:

- --- --- -
    The conversation you recorded with Cynthia Canty about Coin-Op Carnival will air today on our show.

Stateside airs from 3-4 p.m. and again from 10-11 p.m. on Michigan Radio:
    91.7 FM – Ann Arbor/Detroit
    91.1 FM – Flint
    104.1 FM – West Michigan
    MichiganRadio.org – online streaming

You'll also be able to find the full audio of your segment around 5 p.m. today on the Stateside page of our website, MichiganRadio.org.
    - --- --- -

Let's see how this turned out and if they honored my request NOT to play The Who's "Pinball Wizard."

Dance break (in the back right):

legDance.giflegDance.gif

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME!!!!!!!!!! I MUST FIND THE SOURCE!!!!!!!!

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!!

Quoted from c508:

Cool place for your son to build a fort while u wait for shelving!

My gawd...that's brilliant. Thank you for snapping me out of my task-oriented stupor. Sincerely. Fort-time needs to happen.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project.

So, that aired, and now it's archived here:

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/stateside-state-senate-passes-auto-insurance-reform-pinball-history-comic-book-new-west-mi

^^^ ...just scroll about 1/2 - 2/3 down that page to find our isolated segment.

Enjoy,
    Ryan

P.S. Dance break:

sprokets.gifsprokets.gif

1 week later
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

this is a pretty entertaining video

Oh my gawd...I about died watching this. *LOL* Showed it to my wife who had the same reaction. Currently, my son is all about the Wild Kratts(two animal-excited bros educating kiddos about creatures and their "powers") so this hit us just right. Thank you, for this, Jim.

Quoted from Syco54645:

the logo is SBS 2 which aired series 2 of Danger 5, so I think it is in there.

Sounds plausible! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quoted from Pecos:

Then I found this crazy shrimp dance thing

God bless the internet.

Quoted from cp1610:

Be glad you decided to keep half wall area as is and just organize it. I would have gone all out delaying project even longer buy removing it and having cost over runs.

I need mah pinballz back on their feets!

Quoted from Mitch:

I keep my basement pretty clutter free

That sounds nice.

Quoted from Mitch:

one simple rule, if it's been sitting in a box unused for a year or more it's time to get rid of it.

My sincere hope is that before all of our junk goes back, we'll cut a bunch of it from our permanent storage line-up. Wish us well and send us your clutter-free thoughts, Mitch!

Quoted from c508:

ryanclaytor is an illustrator and comic book artist, so I am sure a lot of it is source material and personal comic collection.

Thank you, c508, and you're a bunch of right...

comics (resized).jpgcomics (resized).jpg

Quoted from robotron911:

I use that rule with two exceptions (created by regret later at rigorously following the rule);

1. Tools - NEVER throw away a tool. If you used it once, you are likely to use it again.
    2. Items with a replacement cost of over $500.

3. If it is a comic book.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

I may have to make the trip up to check out this remodel over the summer, I'll bribe my way in with some Terrill's

You know you're welcome here anytime, Tommy. ...but I've gotta say, I'm not sure the place is trip-worthy, yet. Ha-ha!

Speaking of which...

IMG_20190514_143623849 (resized).jpgIMG_20190514_143623849 (resized).jpg

...here's the Tuesday update! The storage shelving is going in today as I type. This area should take another day or two to finish, then it's time to sift through all that miscellaneous debris I've been judged so harshly for and decide what stays and what will go.

Thanks for keepin' me company here in my up-turned basement, guys!

Dance Break:

st.gifst.gif

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffsgames:

Can't wait to see the progress Ryan!

Thanks, Jeff! The feeling is mutual.

Quoted from TheGiggler:

Groo is an amazing book, as any fool can plainly see.

To not read Groo is to err like a mendicant.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Dang, those yellowed old comic book long boxes give me the warm fuzzies.

Amen, brother! ...glad I'm not the only one.

- --- ----- --- -

Okay, today was a pretty exciting day! CHECK IT OUT!!!

The half-wall basement storage area is COMPLETE!!! WOOO!!!

party.gifparty.gif

For those that aren't keen on video, here are some stills.

From ground level:

IMG_20190516_205836234 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_205836234 (resized).jpg

Topside:

pano (resized).jpgpano (resized).jpg

...with a built-in wardrobe for my wife's clothes on the left (in Michigan we need a summer and winter wardrobe...and a place to store them in the off-season):

IMG_20190516_201511118 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201511118 (resized).jpg

Rounding that corner behind the wardrobe:

IMG_20190516_201820275 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201820275 (resized).jpg

This back portion has three sets of shelves that are sized to fit my

Quoted from yancy:

...yellowed old comic book [short] boxes...

IMG_20190516_201724532 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201724532 (resized).jpg

Hard to photograph some of these spaces but here's an orange-peeled panorama:

IMG_20190516_201934749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201934749 (resized).jpg

...and finally, leading back out:

IMG_20190516_201925044 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201925044 (resized).jpg

I told my wife tonight, if I'm this happy about the storage space getting finished, I don't know what I'm gonna do when the arcade is done.

Mighty-night, all!

...a weary, incoherent dance break:

tail.giftail.gif

#39 4 years ago

As of the last update, we've completed:

Phase 1: Clear-out half-wall storage
    Phase 2: Remodel half-wall storage with wardrobe, shelving, and padded carpet

Now we're on to...

Phase 3: Move junk into remodeled half-wall storage and migrate junk from new game room onto new half-wall storage

...which is actually proving to be more gratifying than I suspected.

But not before finding a...

Quoted from c508:

...Cool place for [my] son to build a fort...

IMG_20190517_081736121 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_081736121 (resized).jpg

Thanks, C508.

Anyhow, do you recall that little, nondescript, hobbit door under our stairway in the old arcade:

IMG_20190518_110410521 (resized).jpgIMG_20190518_110410521 (resized).jpg

(Insert Penny Pitch flex )

Well, through that door held roughly half of my comic boxes:

IMG_20190517_134021170 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_134021170 (resized).jpg

...which were quasi inaccessible beneath that stairway:

IMG_20190517_134035523 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_134035523 (resized).jpg

Consequently, I rarely accessed my comics and, as you can see, organization and, shamefully, filing kinda fell by the wayside (for YEARS) as it was such a pain in the buns to grab anything in there. So, new acquisitions often just got piled atop those poorly stored boxes.

Alright, now that the shelves are built, I started schlepping all the boxes from said closet, as well as the new storage room:

IMG_20190517_131759617 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_131759617 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190517_131815495 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_131815495 (resized).jpg

...into the newly renovated half-wall storage area:

IMG_20190517_135520285 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_135520285 (resized).jpg

And eventually got most of those boxes into their respective spots:

IMG_20190517_151721236 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_151721236 (resized).jpg

Which felt pretty amazing. There's still a healthy amount of sorting to do...

IMG_20190517_151959582 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_151959582 (resized).jpg

...but it's getting done. I'm also making lists for additional supplies (boxes, bags, boards, etc) that I need to finish this long-neglected task. Should be complete in the next day or two, but, man, this already feels like a bright light at the end of a tunnel.

Dance break:

poleDance.gifpoleDance.gif

#40 4 years ago

Yesterday I stopped at a local comic shop to pick up those...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

additional supplies (boxes, bags, boards, etc)

...that I mentioned last time. So, I've been chipping away at the organization of my comic library space. Gratifying, but it doesn't look much different to anyone besides me, so I'll save you the image bandwidth...at least for that part.

My wife was really the champ today. She sorted through a TON of stuff and got it organized into piles to sell, piles to hand to Goodwill, and piles to throw away. The back of my car is filled with bags I'll be dropping off to Goodwill in the morning...

IMG_20190519_202750201 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_202750201 (resized).jpg

...and shredding later in the day...

IMG_20190519_202810263 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_202810263 (resized).jpg

While we've given away carloads of baby stuff, we still have mountains more we'll try to sell in the coming week. Evidently my wife looked into some store in the area. Again, she's the trophy winner today. She even went through a mountain of her old clothes and is selling or donating A BUNCH of it. So proud of her.

Anyhow, we're thinning the boxes from our old arcade/current storage area, as well as our current unfinished storage/soon-to-be-finished-arcade:

IMG_20190519_203119028 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203119028 (resized).jpg

It may not look like much, but that entire right side was cleared of junk:

IMG_20190519_203028399 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203028399 (resized).jpg

Now I've gotta step up and clear out that other portion of my debris:

IMG_20190519_203101898 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203101898 (resized).jpg

Basement Dance Break:

basementDance.gifbasementDance.gif

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I believe it says "Stop: Don't set anything on this."

It's true. My wife likes a pristine freezer top. She's a meticulous one.

Anyhow, we're still getting rid of more junk. Today we sold a healthy amount of baby stuff:

moreJunk (resized).jpgmoreJunk (resized).jpg

...and took SEVERAL. MORE. TRIPS. ...to Goodwill. We're practically on a first name basis now...us and Ole' Good.

We're also getting rid of lots of boxes. Here's our recycle for proof:

recycle (resized).jpgrecycle (resized).jpg

Typically our 2 weeks of recycling fits in that brown bin on the right. ...we still have a week to go before our next pick-up.

In addition to clearing out more detritus, one of the puzzle pieces that needs to fit together somewhere between framing our unfinished future arcade and running electrical, is the creation of a custom neon sign.

So, if you recall, this was our existing arcade space:

42d1ef8f-8d14-4e99-9e82-ef516cd27eda (resized).jpg42d1ef8f-8d14-4e99-9e82-ef516cd27eda (resized).jpg

Here you can see the floor plan in comparison to our proposed space:

3acd64c4-64d4-4d19-baba-ffcef8818591 (resized).jpg3acd64c4-64d4-4d19-baba-ffcef8818591 (resized).jpg

...and here's what it currently looks like from eye level:

dd2dc985-d423-4fd6-8936-937ca315b01c (resized).jpgdd2dc985-d423-4fd6-8936-937ca315b01c (resized).jpg

And this is a 3D rendering of that same space finished:

568c4594-9691-47dc-a84a-7ca2aaada904 (resized).jpg568c4594-9691-47dc-a84a-7ca2aaada904 (resized).jpg

That image above shows a feature wall at the end of the row. That's where I'd like to design the sign.

This is a mock-up I created of that far wall with the silhouettes of the couple games that will hug that wall:

aa76a2aa-b0c7-41d2-81b3-260c6df9eb5c (resized).jpgaa76a2aa-b0c7-41d2-81b3-260c6df9eb5c (resized).jpg

For the inquiring minds, it will be a Penny Pitch on the left:

ffd47f8c-1b87-462a-a5bc-160e2a45361a (resized).jpgffd47f8c-1b87-462a-a5bc-160e2a45361a (resized).jpg

...and a puck bowler on the right:

a1168b48-7d0e-4a7a-86b7-e42341025920 (resized).jpga1168b48-7d0e-4a7a-86b7-e42341025920 (resized).jpg

So I tried making some quick and dirty sketches of what the sign might look like, just so I had something to chat about with the neon guy:

03196501-47bd-4693-85d9-88ecd90b2c56 (resized).jpg03196501-47bd-4693-85d9-88ecd90b2c56 (resized).jpg

Late last night, I did a color rendition:

78df3385-4009-4ad4-b21b-7aa82a56fcb0 (resized).jpg78df3385-4009-4ad4-b21b-7aa82a56fcb0 (resized).jpg

And what it might look like animated:

neonMock.gifneonMock.gif

I'd love to have some sort of animation on my sign. I also tossed it into that proposed environment:

b1129cc3-60ec-4993-ae27-06903a05ad97 (resized).jpgb1129cc3-60ec-4993-ae27-06903a05ad97 (resized).jpg

...and did my best to figure out the ideal size I'd want it:

c4aaa8d4-b4c2-4be2-b4fd-35ab26bfa64a (resized).jpgc4aaa8d4-b4c2-4be2-b4fd-35ab26bfa64a (resized).jpg

...knowing full well that these could quite possibly be pie-in-the-sky dreams. I mean, that sign looks a little big...and potentially out of our budget.

I went to the neon guy today and it turns out that size doesn't matter. (I can feel the cursors highlighting that last sentence and quote option being pushed.) I asked if I were to shave off a foot on each dimension, would that bring the price down? He said no, but the cost increases significantly with EACH FRAME of animation. Evidently, every frame needs a separate transformer...on top of the 3-ish transformers that I'd need anyway. Just to put this into perspective, if we made that sign without any animation, the price would be around a grand. If we made it animated as you see there, it would be in the 3-4k range.

no.gifno.gif

Just a touch out of our budget.

There's hope, though! For not much additional money, I could create an ALTERNATING element (first 1, then 2, then back to one, repeat). I could also have a FLASHING element, for not much additional outlay (on, then off, back on, repeat). The final thing neon guy mentioned is that there's a special transformer that can do 4 frames of animation for one low price. Sounds great, but he went on to say that he's seen a lot of these types of transformers that kinda crap-out. When I asked for specifics he said that the ON/OFF of each frame isn't very good...like, previous "frames" will stay lit or look kinda be lit when they should be off, or not quite animate crisply. I don't think I want to deal with that, but we'll see how much I can pair back this animated business. He did say that he could check/test the transformer once it arrives. If it doesn't act appropriately, he could send it back and get another one. I asked him if he ever sees good, four-frame, transformers crap-out in short order. He said no, but didn't have a lot of experience with the signs after they're out of his shop so...

shrugs.gifshrugs.gif

Sooo...that's where we're at right now. Trying to get everything lined up. Builder should be back next week (really gotta keep moving on this clearing-out business), electrical guy should be here on June 5th, and before either of them do their thing, I needed some info from neon guy so that I can mount that sign in a clean way (I don't want any chords visible and I'd like the neon to be flush on the wall). I think I got all those questions answered today, though, so that's good.

Alright, more to do. Thanks for hangin' out here.

Oh, before I go, I'm up for suggestions on that neon sign business. Nothing is set in stone yet, so I'm all ears...for the time being.

#47 4 years ago

So, if you recall, this space:

IMG_20190421_201834154 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_201834154 (resized).jpg

...needed to get cleaned up. So the past week has yeilded this:

IMG_20190528_150105752 (resized).jpgIMG_20190528_150105752 (resized).jpg

...PREH-TEE much cleaned up.

I've had to get creative with storage:

IMG_20190526_181502350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190526_181502350 (resized).jpg

...and things are starting to invade odd places:

IMG_20190526_202244485 (resized).jpgIMG_20190526_202244485 (resized).jpg

...until this remodel is finished. Honestly, it's starting to feel a little claustrophobic.

In other news, I mentioned last week that the...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Builder should be back next week (really gotta keep moving on this clearing-out business)...

...which meant he was gonna start working on this space you see above (the new arcade) today or so.

However, when I contacted him last week, I received some really awful news...

Screenshot_20190528-150832 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190528-150832 (resized).png

Needless to say, I sent him our condolences and left him alone since then. I'm impressed he even wrote back. Not sure I could have under the same circumstances. We'd chat about her condition when he was finishing the half-wall storage area, but didn't expect things to progress so rapidly. All this to say, this thread might be on hiatus for a bit.

#49 4 years ago

I worked a bit on an alternate neon design today. Here's what I came up with:

neonMockBookStarBW.jpgneonMockBookStarBW.jpg

I'm not convinced this is "it" but I was trying for a couple of things:

1. to further personalize the sign (I'm a comics artist and the book in the top left is representative of a comic book, the font is art-deco-inspired rather than a simple single-line font, and those vegas-y stars just scream yesteryear cool)

~and~

2. to design within the more price-efficient animation parameters I learned about last week (flashing, alternating, or 4-frame transformers).

So, here's the first mock-up:

neonMockBookStar.gifneonMockBookStar.gif

...in which I tried using that 4-frame animation on the book in the top left.

Then, the flashing transformer for the star:

neonMockBookStar2.gifneonMockBookStar2.gif

Finally, I pulled those flippers away from the central design a bit, which allowed them to have an alternating animation:

neonMockBookStar3.gifneonMockBookStar3.gif

There are elements I like about this and others I do not.

I like the color choices (I tried A LOT of different combinations and I'm pretty happy with this scheme), I like the new font (I think the additional pieces of tubing look pretty great), and I like multiple types of animation without having to break the bank (it's pretty mesmerizing...I just kinda wanna sit here and stare at that last one, which is the effect I want it to have).

I'm not super keen on the outline shape around the letters. I think it kinda looks like a Chevrolet logo...

Chevrolet-logo.pngChevrolet-logo.png

...or a Southwestern motif:

sw.jpgsw.jpg

I'd rather it look like a 70's bowling alley than a dive-y motel in New Mexico.

So, we'll see. I've not run these designs past my neon guy (just finished this evening), but I'll try to get in touch with him soon to trouble-shoot any more ignorant design oversights I may have commited. Until then, I thought I'd share some progress to see if there might be any constructive criticism.

#51 4 years ago

Some more updates:

Update #1: My builder texted me yesterday and said he's easing into a new routine and will likely be over on Monday. I told we'd be out of town the first couple days of the week...

CCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpgCCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpg

...but that we're available from Wednesday onward. So the build will likely pick-up again mid next week.

In the meantime...

Update #2: More messing about with neon.

So, I sent last night's new neon attempt (see

previous post) over to my neon guy, and it turns out I either have a lot more to learn about neon, or I have a lot more money I need to make. Ha-ha! Seems as though that last attempt with the flashing, alternating, and 4-frame animation would use about 13 transformers(!??!) boosting the estimate up to the $3k range. *WOOF!*

I called up neon guy to chat, in an attempt to further educate myself, and he told me that the animation alone in that previous attempt would require 7 transformers (1 for flashing, 2 for alternating, 4 for 4-frame animation). I was under the impression that each of these would only require 1 transformer. I was obviously mistaken. The take-away I misconstrued was that all of these cost less than doing a 4-frame mechanical/traditional neon animation. If my memory serves me correctly, here's the approximate transformer quantity and monetary breakdown for each of the aforementioned possibilities:

Flashing: 1 special transformer ~$90
    Alternating: 2 transformers and the alternator/animator ~$225-250
    4-frame animation: 4 transformers and the alternator/animator ~$450
    4 frames of mechanical/traditional animation: 4 transformers and I don't know what but I'm not about to pay this much ~$950

Of course all of these prices are for the hardware only and do not include materials like the neon tubing or the labor. Anyhow...I'm learning! To neon-guy's credit, he told me I now know more about neon than about 95% of the population. *LOL* This new knowledge SHOULD help me design a sign better suited to our budget. Oh, and before I forget, neon guy also said all that neon looping back and forth on the letters would bump the price up, too. More tubing also means more transformers and more money.

Okay! Here comes another attempt. I whipped out my trusty paper and pen came up with this:

IMG_20190530_150304588 (resized).jpgIMG_20190530_150304588 (resized).jpg

The idea is based on a saying that my dad used to tell me as a kid...

dadsticker_clear (resized).jpgdadsticker_clear (resized).jpg

...one that I've named my self-publishing company after:

2016EEshirtFinal (resized).jpg2016EEshirtFinal (resized).jpg

So, here it is with the mock neon treatment:

ElephantStatic700 (resized).jpgElephantStatic700 (resized).jpg

As you can likely see from the sketch I first showed, I have some ideas for animation. The first is kinda subtle, just the proverbial bite being taken:

ElephantBite.gifElephantBite.gif

I also wondered what it might look like if the trunk raised and lowered:

ElephantTrunk.gifElephantTrunk.gif

Or if the elephant had some more motion to it, like maybe walking:

ElephantWalking1.gifElephantWalking1.gif

I tried a little different approach to the back legs in this one, but I don't think I like it as well:

ElephantWalking2.gifElephantWalking2.gif

Then I saw that trunk and thought, maybe it could be picking up the coin that it's grasping:

ElephantTrunkCoin.gifElephantTrunkCoin.gif

...and finally, I tried combining the walking and the coin motion into one:

ElephantWalking3.gifElephantWalking3.gif

Each one of the iterations above only uses alternating animation, so I feel like I might be able to get by on the lower end of the neon animation budget. We'll see. As usual, you're seeing things before neon guy does. I'll see what he has to say about this, and I've got some more ideas I'd like to mock-up before committing to one.

Still open to feedback at this stage.

#55 4 years ago

Talked to my neon guy. He said that elephant could be animated with one alternator and could likely come in a lot closer to my hopeful budget, which is around a grand.

- --- ----- --- -

Here's another.

Inks:

blackwhite.gifblackwhite.gif

...and then I tried a couple different animation schemes on them. This one would work with a flashing and an alternating:

coloredLayers.gifcoloredLayers.gif

...while this one would work with two flashing (a little less expensive):

Animation2.gifAnimation2.gif

Interested in more opinions. Thanks for the feedback thus far.

#59 4 years ago

Got some feedback from my neon guy last evening after sending him the atomic/space-age design and thanking him for his time looking at these and answering a lot of questions from me...

neon.gifneon.gif

...so that felt pretty great. In addition to that, he gave me some really helpful suggestions about light-colored neon (whites and yellows) being too close to each other and bleeding into one another. My wife was also saying that the most recent design felt like it was all jammed together and kinda claustrophobic. So, I made a ton of micro-alterations in an effort to give that design a little more breathing room:

Animation3.gifAnimation3.gif

I actually think this is a lot more legible.

Another critique from my wife is that she missed the "animated" (alternating) flippers from a previous design, so I pulled the flippers away from the design a bit to allow them room to flip:

Animation4.gifAnimation4.gif

I also took away one of the flashing elements from the stars, to save some money, and the Mrs. said she liked it better anyway...that there was just too much going on before.

I've also been pondering the elephant sign. While not as flashy and retro-hip as that atomic design, it's definitely more personal. However, a lot of the animations of the elephant above focused on movement (walking, trunk, etc) rather than the actual personalized element (bite). The problem with the bite is that it's such a subtle animation and I'd like the sign to be a little more dynamic. So, after staring at and pondering the elephant sign I came up with what I think is a nice hybrid of personalization and motion:

ElephantBiteTrunkTail.gifElephantBiteTrunkTail.gif

...by eliminating the walk cycle, but combining bite (the personalized part), trunk (the reference to this being an arcade sign), and adding a little tail movement.

Another suggestion by my brilliant wife was to move the title a bit. She felt it was too right-heavy with a bunch of dead space over on the left-hand side. So I moved "CLAYTOR" to the left just a bit and moved "THE" and "ARCADE" quite a bit. I think the text feels better balanced now.

#64 4 years ago

Okay, so I tried a thing...

western (resized).pngwestern (resized).png

...and I feel like it totally didn't work. Ha-ha!

Was trying for a western theme with attention to typography but it's just...ungh...too much everything. Too close together, too interlocked, too illegible, too detailed to make a neon sign (quite likely...I haven't checked, but I don't know if it's even worth checking in). I also think it suffers from the same lack of personalization I'm fretting about on the space age sign.

Bah.

FWIW, there it is.

#67 4 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Still trying to iterate a bit before making a decision, but I really appreciate the opinions.

In the meantime, here's another:

ClaytorEE.gifClaytorEE.gif

#68 4 years ago

First thoughts from my wife is that it didn't have enough arcade stuff in it. She loves the flipping flippers (I do too) and I tried adding a coin, too.

ClaytorEE02.gifClaytorEE02.gif

#70 4 years ago

Playing with colors and making some minor revisions on this one:

ClaytorEE03.gifClaytorEE03.gif

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

with the space age, couldn't you tie the stars blinking into the flippers flipping. So when one flipper flips, it makes a star blink. Loving all the designs.

That's actually a really great idea to save on a blinking transformer. Leaning away from that idea at the moment or I might mock that up. Also...in Vegas right now.

IMG_20190603_094355476_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190603_094355476_HDR (resized).jpg
    #80 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Umm hello!

Ha-ha! That's a great suggestion. Thanks, Jeff! My wife and I have actually been to The Neon Museumin Las Vegas a couple different times, and you'd better believe I was taking some inspiration from some of their signs. Ha-ha! Remember that mess of a design I made a few posts back:

western (resized).pngwestern (resized).png

...well, I was making an abysmal attempt at a Sassy Sally inspired arcade sign:

JH-216-2 (resized).jpgJH-216-2 (resized).jpg

And this recurring theme of stars...

...is inspired by a ton of classic Vegas neon, like the Stardust, for example:

stardust.jpgstardust.jpg

All that to say, I've been looking at a lot of signage, and trying to figure out how I might scale down certain elements, since my sign will be a lot smaller than most of them I look at. Again, mine will be occupying roughly a 3'x5' space, rather than the size of a roadside billboard.

Quoted from MarkInc:

Can you make a sign with something like luminescent wire? It would free up the design and probably allow more animation.

Hi MarkInc. I really appreciate the suggestions. I hopped over to that DIY thread you posted, too, and I'll definitely keep that in mind for other potential projects in the future, however...

Quoted from yancy:

there's just something about real neon that can't be replicated

...for better or worse, I am hell-bent on using neon for this project. It's likely the one and only time in my life I'll be able to make a custom neon for our family, and I'd like to use traditional neon...not neon-esque.

Speaking of real neon and inspiration, when my wife and I flew back to Michigan yesterday, we spotted this sign in the airport:

IMG_20190604_045237305 (resized).jpgIMG_20190604_045237305 (resized).jpg

...and we both liked the look of it, with the mix of fonts and its dynamic shape with the asymmetrical triangle. So, I decided to take another crack at our sign this morning:

TriangleFlat.gifTriangleFlat.gif

Starting with the design I posted before leaving to Vegas...

ClaytorEE03.gifClaytorEE03.gif

...I'm trying to use a greater variety of colors. I really like the full spectrum backglasses found in many flipperless and late 40's titles:

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpgimage-2.jpgimage-2.jpgimage-1 (1).jpgimage-1 (1).jpg

Plus, the number of colors used does not increase the price of the sign.

So, I tried to made that happen here, too:

Triangle01Rainbow.gifTriangle01Rainbow.gif

It felt like a bit of a mess on this design, so I tried pairing it back a bit:

Triangle02Primary.gifTriangle02Primary.gif

I also spent some time fiddling with that previous design again. Something about the color spectrum moving in a traditional rainbow pattern (red at top, purple at bottom) bugged me a bit, so I reversed the colors:

ClaytorEE04.gifClaytorEE04.gif

...and that blue coin felt like it was out of place in the spectrum. So I changed it to white:

ClaytorEE05.gifClaytorEE05.gif

Still not sure if that white coin calls too much attention to itself.

I also felt like there wasn't enough contrast between the yellow decorative elements and the white text, so I allowed the central circle to act as the yellow element, changed the decorations to orange, and modified the colors beneath it:

ClaytorEE06.gifClaytorEE06.gif

In other news, my builder should be here either tomorrow or the following day to start building out our basement, so I'm trying to create as many designs as I can before I need to fill a big hole in a wall.

#84 4 years ago

Tryin' s'more.

Inks:

LeftCircleInks.gifLeftCircleInks.gif

Colors:

LeftCircle.gifLeftCircle.gif

#87 4 years ago

I'm leaning into the more personalized imagery of the elephant. Did a few minor revisions.

In this one...

LeftCircle2.gifLeftCircle2.gif

...I changed the colors of the minor decortative elements from orange to pink, purple, and blue in an effort to get some more color into this design and also tie in the ball and bonk element on the right. I think I like it better this way, but likely won't be the final product.

My wife suggested some possible alternate imagery related to my first game, Whirlwind , which will likely never leave our collection. So I tried a fan motif:

ClaytorEE07Fan.gifClaytorEE07Fan.gif

Another suggestion my wife made was to make the letters red:

ClaytorEE09Can.gifClaytorEE09Can.gif

She likes the red letters, but I'd have to say this version is my favorite:

ClaytorEE10.gifClaytorEE10.gif

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just googled this and it does seem that you can get a lot of different colors. They have a variety of coatings for the tubes to get this.

Yes, this. ^^^ ...and when chatting with my neon guy, he tells me number of colors really don't make a difference in terms of price. Woo!

Quoted from rufessor:

I know your going a different direction but one more vote for the elephant or the space theme from me

I totally appreciate your (and others') opinion. Sincerely. As you mentioned, I'm leaning in a different direction, but I really do appreciate all the feedback, regardless of whether or not I've directly incorporated it in a visual revision. I've, at the very least, made mental mock-ups of each suggestion and tried to take stock in each. So, thank you, to everyone posting on this thread. It's made this process a lot of fun.

Speaking of this process, I see it as akin to a pinball game designer position in that I'm trying to make the best product I can for the desired audience (in this case, my family and me). I want to solicit thoughts and opinions of others, but ultimately, this is gonna come down to a personal decision, as I'm the one who will be staring at it more frequently than anyone. Ha-ha! But I truly appreciate everyone chiming in here, as you've allowed this to become a more collaborative and thought-provoking exercise.

I've been doing a TON of image searching, book combing, and additional attempts (that I just didn't think warranted the faux-neon treatment). Here are just a few I was poking around at last night:

Image-(17) (resized).pngImage-(17) (resized).png

These attempts are frequent, and not all of them get the neon mock-up treatment for one reason or another.

Anyhow, all this to say, I think I'm coming close to a point of making a decision, my builder should be showing up tomorrow to start framing things in, which means it's almost time to figure out a sign that's gonna make me and my family happy for many years to come. With that said, I thought I'd post the gallery of mock-ups just for fun. That way they can all be easily referenced in one place:

#1:
    neonMock.gifneonMock.gif

#2:
    neonMockBookStar3.gifneonMockBookStar3.gif

#3:
    ElephantBiteTrunkTail.gifElephantBiteTrunkTail.gif

#4:

#5:
    western.gifwestern.gif

#6:
    ClaytorEE10.gifClaytorEE10.gif

#7:
    Triangle02Primary.gifTriangle02Primary.gif

#8:
    LeftCircle2.gifLeftCircle2.gif

#109 4 years ago

Thanks for the continued interest and feedback. I'm pretty sure I've made a decision on the neon. Sent a mock-up and high-res lineart into my neon guy for a final price quote, so we'll see where that comes back. Ha-ha! It's possible that could sway my decision, but not likely. *fingers crossed*

Anyhow, until I have some more word on that front, I have some news about the build-out. I finally cleaned-out all of the soon-to-be-arcade section:

IMG_20190609_200637429 (resized).jpgIMG_20190609_200637429 (resized).jpg

...all except for those built-in storage shelves.

My builder made short work of those when he arrived today:

IMG_20190610_115044518 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_115044518 (resized).jpg

Then got to work framing:

IMG_20190610_131013332 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_131013332 (resized).jpg

By the end of today, here's what the studs for the new room looked like:

IMG_20190610_232144477 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232144477 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232154597 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232154597 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232219621 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232219621 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232232637 (resized).jpgIMG_20190610_232232637 (resized).jpg

He'll be back again tomorrow. See ya then.

#111 4 years ago

Framing is complete.

IMG_20190611_151112815 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151112815 (resized).jpg

This included framing around the duct:

IMG_20190611_151726215 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151726215 (resized).jpg

...and the back wall:

IMG_20190611_151224512 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151224512 (resized).jpg

For those interested in minutia, there was a point of discussion regarding this wall. If you look closely, you'll see a gas pipe:

IMG_20190611_151218440 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151218440 (resized).jpg

...that extended away from the wall about 11":

IMG_20190611_151453380 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151453380 (resized).jpg

We were hoping our builder could hack it back a bit so that we could gain a few more inches for our room. Unfortunately, he wasn't licensed to do work on gas lines, so it wouldn't have been permitted, and it would have cost another $500+ or so to have a certified person to come move it. Ultimately, we decided to give up the square footage and save the half-a-grand. In silver linings, a couple of things happened.

1. There was an angled portion of the original framing that hung below the basement ceiling studs and protruded from the wall about 5", which would have prevented us from making a flat wall that was framed much closer than that:

IMG_20190611_151539415 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151539415 (resized).jpg

...so, really, we're only losing about 6" instead of 11".

2. Additionally, our builder was able to notch out the metal studs to save us a couple more inches:

IMG_20190611_151649624 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151649624 (resized).jpg

...so, really, we're only losing about 4".

4" or $500+ for a permitted move of the gas line. I think we came out alright on this one.

And because the builder used metal studs he was able to frame pretty darn close to the overhead duct that runs overtop of one side of the room:

IMG_20190611_151853884 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_151853884 (resized).jpg

A clearance of 6'4" as you enter the room certainly isn't ideal, but unless you're Todd MacCullough or Jack Danger, you probably won't have to duck. Anyhow, I was afraid it was going to be a lot worse than that. Once drywall, carpet and padding is installed, it'll probably be a little worse than that, but hopefully not much.

Again, this is the section that mainly runs over top of the games...

BackWallMockBlank (resized).jpgBackWallMockBlank (resized).jpg

...so my naive hope is that it won't be too intrusive.

Anyhow, electrician appointment is on Monday!

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Anyhow, electrician appointment is on Monday...

Happy Monday!

IMG_20190617_111515748 (resized).jpgIMG_20190617_111515748 (resized).jpg

Outlets and potlights are going in as I type...

IMG_20190617_123857956 (resized).jpgIMG_20190617_123857956 (resized).jpg

The daddest of dance breaks for things coming together:

boom.gifboom.gif

#124 4 years ago

The electrician pulled a late night (left at 9pm), but despite working his butt off, came back this morning to finish the job.

light.giflight.gif

These next few pictures have me pretty excited.

IMG_20190618_134655153 (resized).jpgIMG_20190618_134655153 (resized).jpg

I feel like with each incremental step (studs, outlets, LIGHT) I can envision it coming together a little better.

IMG_20190618_134721976 (resized).jpgIMG_20190618_134721976 (resized).jpg

...and here's ^^^ the dirty little secret of where all the wood from the shelving went.

IMG_20190618_134747978 (resized).jpgIMG_20190618_134747978 (resized).jpg

Electrical permit should be pulled this week and inspection should happen next week.

Skatin' along! Until then...

Dance break!

danceWhat.gifdanceWhat.gif

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

LED conversion kits are a nice upgrade for those can lights. Very little heat, and dimmable.

I agree about the heat, but it's gonna be a seesaw battle between heat and dimmability. We tried both and the LED's do not dim very low. It's kinda like the lights are all still on, even at the lowest setting. Ha-ha! For now, they're incandescents. But, of course, and easy swap if needed.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

About $10 a pop.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunco-Lighting-Equivalent-Dimmable-Outdoor/dp/B01N4DNN8H/ref=sr_1_5

...there are other sources.

Quoted from yancy:

Might just be the photo, but the color temp looks like they're already LEDs.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

For now, they're incandescents.

Quoted from yancy:

For my basement cans I just threw in some Greenlite brand 8W dimmable 3000K LEDs, only a buck each.

I was testing 2700K and I'm astonished at the COLOR of light they emit. Traditionally, my wife and I are both pretty anti-LED, not from a kill-the-world perspective, more of a snooty-artists-hate-the-awful-color perspective. But they REALLY matched well with the incandescents. Here's a picture of my kitchen. 3 of these are LED's, the rest are incandescent:

Looking South:

LookingSouth (resized).jpgLookingSouth (resized).jpg

Looking North:

LookingNorth (resized).jpgLookingNorth (resized).jpg

Can you tell which one's are LED's?

Quoted from Ballypin:

+1 For mounting your duplex outlets higher on the game rows so that the cords are concealed by the machines !!
    I did the same thing myself.

fistBump.giffistBump.gif

#130 4 years ago

Permit was pulled. Looks like electrical inspection will happen Thursday.

danceE.gifdanceE.gif

#131 4 years ago

Ooo! Just got a note from my builder that the BUILDING inspection will follow the ELECTRICAL inspection this week:

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...electrical inspection will happen Thursday.

It did, and the guy tagged my basement before he left:

IMG_20190627_205611848 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_205611848 (resized).jpg

...with a sticker that read something like this:

Yus!!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

BUILDING inspection...

...tomorrow.

giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

BUILDING inspection...

TODAY:

Quoted from roar:

I stay for the gif's.

stormtwerkers.gifstormtwerkers.gif

Some finishing starts on Monday.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Some finishing starts on Monday.

IMG_20190701_125325651 (resized).jpgIMG_20190701_125325651 (resized).jpg

Boy, did I ever want to take a panoramic shot with my fancy new phone, but geez, the panos on this new thing are awful. Yeesh. Anyhow, here's another look at THAT GLORIOUS INSULATION:

IMG_20190701_125317522 (resized).jpgIMG_20190701_125317522 (resized).jpg

My naive hope is that this ceiling insulation will deaden the sound enough that I'll be able to play a game while my son slumbers a couple floors above. If that comes to fruition, I'll totally take a moment for a...

*DANCE BREAK!!!*

danceroo.gifdanceroo.gif

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

The best thing you can do to deaden sound going upstairs is to uncouple the physical connection between the ceiling and the floor joists. They make channels that you can attach to the joists and then attach the drywall to the channel. Anything you can do to break a "straight line" for sound or vibration to travel give huge benefits.

I'm pretty sure the builder plans on doing this.

3 weeks later
    #142 4 years ago

Hey all!

Welcome back. I know it's been a few weeks, but I've been out of state visiting family and exhibiting/presenting at Comic-Con International. With that blatant flex out of the way, let's talk basementy stuff.

So, I flew back to Michigan last night and had my builder all lined-up to continue work today. As he was getting started with the...

Quoted from pintechev:

...resilient channel[s]...

...for the ceiling drywall, I went around pulling the insullation down an inch or three...

IMG_20190723_094837289 (resized).jpgIMG_20190723_094837289 (resized).jpg

...in order to...

Quoted from Completist:

...leave a bit of an air gap between the batts and the floor boards...

...in an effort to...

Quoted from Completist:

deaden the noise between floors.

Completist , thank you so much for the tip. This step wouldn't have happened without you. I can't believe the manufacturer of the product I'm using happened to also be a pinsider and watching this thread. You rock!

pintechev & robotron911 , you're both pretty dandy, too. Resilient channels happened to already be in the plans, but great suggestion nevertheless.

Anyhow, after I repositioned all the batting, I got out of my builder's way and let him work. He brought in a fancy lifting unit:

IMG_20190723_112601884 (resized).jpgIMG_20190723_112601884 (resized).jpg

...kept it going...

IMG_20190723_120838900 (resized).jpgIMG_20190723_120838900 (resized).jpg

...and before the end of the day...

IMG_20190723_171301703 (resized).jpgIMG_20190723_171301703 (resized).jpg

...he had the ceiling complete. I'm pretty excited. It's starting to look real! Funny how each completed step is this minor high. I can't imagine the state I'll be in when this is finished. Camp-out parties in the basement are likely.

Builder's coming back tomorrow to drywall the walls, so you can expect some more whiteness in the photos tomorrow.

Until then...

ChiefBeav.gifChiefBeav.gif

#143 4 years ago

drywallDone.jpegdrywallDone.jpeg

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Ryan, looking good!

Quoted from JayDee:

BTW, basement is looking good

Thanks, all!

Quoted from JayDee:

Excuse me if I missed it, but was there a final verdict on the neon sign that you’re going with?

You didn't miss it, JayDee. I never revealed it. Thinking of waiting until it's built and installed to unveil. ...is that too mean?

Quoted from JayDee:

can’t wait to see it loaded with games

SAME!!!

- --- ----- --- -

Okay, yesterday, the builder came by again for a short day. He put up some corner brackets (or whatever there called) and put up the first coat of mud on them:

IMG_20190725_162412278 (resized).jpgIMG_20190725_162412278 (resized).jpgIMG_20190725_162430746 (resized).jpgIMG_20190725_162430746 (resized).jpg

...a little drippy right now, but as I assured my wife, there are a few more coats to come. Speaking of which, builder just arrived for today's session, so perhaps some additional minor finishes to show today.

Slowly but surely, progress is happening...

giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif

P.S.

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Got the Coin-Op Carnival Issue 1 today in the mail today - great stories and illustrations of course!

Thank you, ReadyPO!

#151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This is coming along quickly.

I'm glad it feels this way to someone.

Forgot to post a tantalizing shot of refined edges yesterday:

IMG_20190726_135732504 (resized).jpgIMG_20190726_135732504 (resized).jpg

Doesn't look a whole lot different, but this was another few hours of our builder's time.

#152 4 years ago

Builder put in a heck of a day today. Not only did he spend HOURS sanding and refining the joins, edges, and corners, but he also managed to prime all the walls:

IMG_20190729_214236164 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_214236164 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190729_214256596 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_214256596 (resized).jpg

This was all cause for another...

During the course of conversation with my builder, he asked if I'd purchased paint yet. I told him, "Not yet," and that I'd more or less picked the colors, but was still hemming and hawing and being a wishy-washy artist about the whole thing. He told me that he might be ready for paint today, which surprised me and wrenched me out of my indecisive state. In an effort to keep this project moving, I immediately drove to the paint store, debated the color qualities of a number of paint chips, and made a choice. Here's the carpet sample (OH it's such glorious carpet!!!) and the paint chips:

IMG_20190729_103216804 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_103216804 (resized).jpg

Depending upon the lighting, they kinda change color:

IMG_20190729_110700479 (resized).jpgIMG_20190729_110700479 (resized).jpg

...which was part of the reason I had such a hard time picking paint colors. The ones I thought were "it" didn't work like I thought they would once they were in the light of the basement. Anyhow, I made some executive, on-the-fly decisions at Sherwin Williams today and I'm happy with the way they're working now. The light color will go on the walls and the darker color on the ceiling. I understand that will make the space feel a little more...oh, what's the realtor euphemism...COZY! But I wanted a darker color above all the glass (yet not black) to avoid reflections. I mocked it up quickly and I'm happy with the virtual version:

paintMock (resized).jpgpaintMock (resized).jpg

So there you have it, the buried lead of the neon design choice.

Result: the one that nobody voted for. *LOL*

I really love it, though. Big, colorful, animated and personal. ...and PRETTY much within budget. I can't wait to see it illuminating the space.

Still a healthy way to go before the basement is done, but I wanted to thank everyone here for following along and making this long process a fun one.

Until next update...

mulletFever.gifmulletFever.gif

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Animation on the flippers and the Elephant bite?

Yeah. Here's the final version:

ClaytorEE11.gifClaytorEE11.gif

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Its not who voted for what, its the process which was a lot of fun to watch unfold Sign looks great!

Quoted from manitouguy:

Fantastic stuff Ryan – that neon sign will be absolutely awesome!

Quoted from yancy:

Looks great in the space, though!

Ha-ha! Thanks, guys.

#157 4 years ago

In an effort to help move this project along and save my builder some time, I offered to do some painting before he returns tomorrow. 4.5 hours later and a post-midnight completion time, the ceiling is painted.
    IMG_20190731_002433035 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002433035 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002539254 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002539254 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002625467 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002625467 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002711094 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_002711094 (resized).jpg

G'nite...

EvergreenDeadlyAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gifEvergreenDeadlyAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gif

#159 4 years ago

This morning, my builder walked in and said, "So, late night, huh?"

I proceeded to tell him about my 4.5 hour, post-midnight, Sistine Chapel, ceiling painting marathon that took place mere hours ago. After spying his jolly mug, I asked how long he thought it would take him to do it. He said, "Probably an hour." After voicing my skepticism, he told me, "Well, it needs another coat, so when you bring me back another gallon, I'll do it and time myself."

Fast forward to the end of the day and I come down to survey his progress, and he greets me with, "43 minutes." *LOL* ...even more important, it looks great.

So, anyway, PAINT!

IMG_20190731_105106693 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_105106693 (resized).jpg

Also...

IMG_20190731_105046783 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_105046783 (resized).jpg

The ceiling is supposed to be darker than the walls, but when you see the whole thing at once (above) the difference is pretty negligible. I guess when you see it at certain angles...

IMG_20190731_130721574 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_130721574 (resized).jpg

...it's more apparent.

*shrugs*

When I take in the entire room and imagine most of it covered with pinball machines and neon, I can't imagine anyone besides me and you, dear reader, will ever take notice. ...at least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

Anyhow, here's how things sit right now:

IMG_20190731_170830976 (resized).jpgIMG_20190731_170830976 (resized).jpg

Trim is painted and ready to go and crown molding waits in the wings. Tomorrow, all that should go up, and if we're lucky, maybe even a couple of doors.

See ya then.

oldandwhite.gifoldandwhite.gif

#160 4 years ago

And then there were doors...

IMG_20190801_214739793 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_214739793 (resized).jpg

...and trim and crown molding!!!

IMG_20190801_214825017 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_214825017 (resized).jpg

It's all looking pretty great! It's like, a mature, big-boy, room! Which is kinda the vibe I'm hoping for! Only...with...a mountain of pinball and arcade games in it.

So, it's certainly not done yet. There's still a lot of finishing elements to polish off...

IMG_20190801_214931426 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_214931426 (resized).jpg

But my builder is just as anal-retentive and meticulous as I am, so I'm not worried, and you shouldn't be either.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering about the trifecta of doors, that left one...

left.jpgleft.jpg

...is simply the entrance to the space.

The middle door...

middle.jpgmiddle.jpg

...allows access to the heater:

IMG_20190801_215004236 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_215004236 (resized).jpg

...and the door on the right...

right.jpgright.jpg

...leads to the storage space...

IMG_20190801_215045612 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_215045612 (resized).jpg

...which will need A LOT OF ATTENTION once this job is done.

But in the meantime, just look at how the builder finished this window like a boss:

window (resized).jpgwindow (resized).jpg

As my wife put it, "It's almost like a feature of the room it's done so nicely." I mean, it pretty much looked like garbage yesterday. Just a raw, unfinished, cinder block concrete and metal stud surround:

garbageWindow.jpggarbageWindow.jpg

I could not wrap my head around how that window was gonna look "done"...and also function. I'd kinda resigned myself to just having a really nice room with a garbage window and thought, "Welp, I guess 99% awesome is still pretty good." But miraculously that window is now both done and functional. ...or, it will be after some paint. Nevertheless...more excitement!

I also played more General Contractor and managed some boring stuff today. Carpet guys are scheduled for an install on Aug 16th. Electrical inspection is scheduled for Aug 5th (Monday!?). So, you know...things are happening.

Alright, I'm off to Houston, TX for the weekend. See ya there? If not, see ya back here next week!

disco.gifdisco.gif

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffsgames:

Looks great Ryan! Can't wait to see this full of games!

Thanks a bunch, guys. I'm starting to feel like there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

Yesterday, a few things happened. First, the electrical guy came over to polish off some final trim stuff, like installing the pot light surrounds, lowering them a bit after the drywall was installed, putting covers on all the switches and outlets and also putting some washers behind them to bring 'em to an appropriate depth. So, outlets are finished:

IMG_20190806_204555462 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204555462 (resized).jpg

...as are the light switches (and MOAR OUTLETS):

IMG_20190806_204617868 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204617868 (resized).jpg

The other thing that happened yesterday was the electrical inspector came for his final once over. He mentioned three minor things last time, which were all taken care of, so we expected a quick inspection and approval. However, before he would give final approval the inspector said, "Woopsies, I forgot to mention that you need a light in the furnace area."

Thankfully, my electrician made short work of installing a bare bulb in that section with a pull-chord:

IMG_20190806_223348426 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_223348426 (resized).jpg

...unlocking the final electrical approval achievement:

approved.jpgapproved.jpg

rejoicing.gifrejoicing.gif

The last thing that happened yesterday was a guy from the carpet store came to get final measurements for the room. The room is kind of a big rectangle, so he was in and out toot suite.

Au revoir...

awkwardDanceParty.gifawkwardDanceParty.gif

#164 4 years ago

Today was another massive workday for my builder. He pretty much finished everything. I mean, the doors were all painted so they match the trim and each other...

IMG_20190806_204527621 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204527621 (resized).jpg

...the duct vents were installed...

IMG_20190806_204408315 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204408315 (resized).jpg

...that trim around the...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...feature of the room...

...was painted out...

IMG_20190806_204503717 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204503717 (resized).jpg

...and do you remember the bits of trim and polish on the crown molding that needed finished:

IMG_20190801_214931426 (resized).jpgIMG_20190801_214931426 (resized).jpg

Well, that's done, too:

IMG_20190806_204344876 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204344876 (resized).jpg

...as is all the final paint:

IMG_20190806_204701688 (resized).jpgIMG_20190806_204701688 (resized).jpg

This place is really shaping up.

daddance.gifdaddance.gif

#165 4 years ago

Almost forgot to mention another thing that happened today; I spent most of it making final measurements and refinements to my custom neon design in an effort to send a comprehensive email to my neon guy. The email went something like this:

- --- ------ --- -

I've attached a PDF file of the final, full-sized, black and white version of my neon sign. (I saved a TIF file, too, but it was almost 100megs, so it wouldn't attach. If you need that or some other format, just let me know.) The attached file is 8'x4', which corresponds to the backer board and exact position of the neon on that board.

I'll try to outline the specifications here.

First, you might see some faint vertical lines. Those are simply demarcating a measurement every foot. Also, when you open the file, you'll see a dark rectangle in the upper-right corner:

blackAndWhite (resized).jpgblackAndWhite (resized).jpg

That is where the backer board should be notched/cut out in order to fit around the duct work. Here is an image of the wall to give you a better understanding of the space:

Wall (resized).jpgWall (resized).jpg

...and where the sign with backer will be placed on that back wall:

Wall2 (resized).jpgWall2 (resized).jpg

...those other dark silhouettes are outlines of a couple of games that will be sitting in front of the wall. Kinda like this:

roomMockUp (resized).jpgroomMockUp (resized).jpg

I also wanted to show you the placement of the studs behind the drywall:

Wall3 (resized).jpgWall3 (resized).jpg

...so that you can place the transformers accordingly. (If you need more precise measurements for the placement of these existing metal studs, just let me know.) Please also note that there is a gas line in the upper right portion immediately behind the studs:

Wall5 (resized).jpgWall5 (resized).jpg

...which will prevent the placement of transformers or nailing in that area.

In the meantime, here's a composite mock-up of where the neon sign with backer will sit in relationship to the existing metal studs:

Wall4 (resized).jpgWall4 (resized).jpg

That brings us to the color of the neon, which should correspond to this image:

I would like the red to be the ruby red coated tubes and the yellow to be the better yellow that will not show light through in the tight bends. I know we had some discussion about the color of the elephant toes. I saw a sign with sort of an off-white/beige color neon that I'm hoping you can replicate:

toes (resized).jpgtoes (resized).jpg

The animated elements are the flippers and the bite out of the elephant foot. These are all linked on an alternating transformer. I would like those elements to alternate every 2 seconds, as shown above.

The backer board should be painted the same color as the wall of my basement. I can bring the paint to your shop and even paint the backer for you whenever you're ready.

I think that's it. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to chat. I guess my only questions are; what's the final estimate for this and when can it be ready to install?

- --- ------ --- -

So that ball is also rolling. We'll see what he has to say!

dad.gifdad.gif

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I’m guessing you’re the single most prepared customer that guy ever if had, if not the most prepared in the entire history of neon. Reminds me of when I took very detailed room measurements (including a scale drawing) to a carpet shop and the guy said, “do you want a job?”

Ha-ha! Nice to meet another Type-A, control freak, perfectionist, Yancy.

Quoted from Insane:

MOAR outlets? shouldn't that be more?

Not when there's that...maNY...MMOOOAARRR!!!

source.gifsource.gif

Quoted from zerbam:

HEY..........give him a break..........remember he is an artist .......not an English teacher!

Maybe a little of that, too.

...but not in the case oF MOOOOOAAAAARRR!!!

sourceb.gifsourceb.gif

#170 4 years ago

Remember that...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...PDF file of the final, full-sized, black and white version of my neon sign...

...that I sent my neon guy yesterday? Well, evidently plotters don't like PDF's because he was having a heck of time outputting it. I asked him what file format he would prefer. He asked if I have a vector file. I told him I didn't, but that I could make one. So that's what I did today. I started by placing my existing rasterized file in Adobe Illustrator:

vector (resized).jpgvector (resized).jpg

Then began the mild tedium of manually vector tracing all lines:

vector2 (resized).jpgvector2 (resized).jpg

It looks like this as I toggle that tracing layer on and off to see how things are going:

vector3 (resized).jpgvector3 (resized).jpg

Ultimately it ended up looking like this:

ClaytorArcadeVector (resized).jpgClaytorArcadeVector (resized).jpg

For those interested in the difference between the couple of files, here's the rasterized version (the first file, the one I sent him yesterday):

vector4.jpgvector4.jpg

...and here's the vector version that I retraced today (the second file, which took me about 90 minutes to manually retrace):

vector5.jpgvector5.jpg

Essentially the first one is made of a limited number of pixels and the second one is made up of anchor points and mathematical equations to create those lines between the points (making them infinitely scale-able).

Anyhow, a while back when I visited the neon shop, I saw my neon guy working on a giant piece of paper with what looked like outlines of all those lines/tubing, so I gave him a version like this, too:

ClaytorArcadeVectorOutlines (resized).jpgClaytorArcadeVectorOutlines (resized).jpg

...because I am a...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Type-A, control freak, perfectionist...

...so there you go.

Neon guy doesn't have interwebs in his office (only at home) so I'll likely receive feedback tomorrow.

Until then...

whitePeople.gifwhitePeople.gif

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

That vector file in color would make a decent shirt.

At first I was like, "NOOOO, it couldn't possibly!" ...but now I'm wondering, "...wait...would it?"

cap.gifcap.gif

#173 4 years ago

I dunno, man. I think it kinda loses something without the glow.

TshirtMock.jpgTshirtMock.jpg

...thoughts?

#179 4 years ago

A few things happened yesterday.

First...

permit (resized).jpgpermit (resized).jpg

...FINAL INSPECTION!!! YUSSSSS!!!

Then, we paid our builder in full for a heck of a job...

puff.gifpuff.gif

Finally, I got some good news from my neon guy about that new file I sent him:

Screenshot_20190809-171527 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190809-171527 (resized).jpg

#180 4 years ago

I visited the neon guy today at his new location. He was renting some space before but recently purchased his own place.

IMG_20190813_094416935 (resized).jpgIMG_20190813_094416935 (resized).jpg

Pretty cool to see his new digs with a lot more space than he had before. Anyhow, I brought him a can of my basement wall paint so that the backer would look the same as the wall itself. When I walked in, I saw the full sized print-out of my sign laying on a work bench:

printout (resized).jpgprintout (resized).jpg

Pretty impressive to see it that large. We also got to chat about a bunch of minutiae and logistics.

IMG_20190813_101225375 (resized).jpgIMG_20190813_101225375 (resized).jpg

A couple additional pieces of info he needed were the size of the notch cut out of the top right (how did I forget that in my...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Type-A, control freak, perfectionist...

...write-up!??!) and the location of the studs behind the drywall. So I emailed him some info and a diagram when I got home:

studs (resized).jpgstuds (resized).jpg

Sounds like we'll likely be installing in a couple weeks or so. Still can't believe this is actually happening. Makes me want a...

...dance break:

sailorMoon.gifsailorMoon.gif

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Carpet guys are scheduled for an install on Aug 16th.

IMG_20190816_101622593 (resized).jpgIMG_20190816_101622593 (resized).jpg

See you in another few hours with a nice plush floor.

giggity.gifgiggity.gif

#186 4 years ago

In carpet news...

IMG_20190816_121229760.jpgIMG_20190816_121229760.jpgIMG_20190816_121258221.jpgIMG_20190816_121258221.jpgIMG_20190816_121312199.jpgIMG_20190816_121312199.jpg

...man, this is glorious. Here's our basement security camera footage of me once the carpet guys left:

dog-rubs-stomach-on-rug.gifdog-rubs-stomach-on-rug.gif

Speaking of the carpet guys, turns out one of them used to work with the neon guy I'm working with. He swore up and down about what a phenomonal artist and person he was, which made me feel pretty great as that was the sense I got from him. Glad to know I wasn't off base. I texted the neon fellow while carpet installer was still here and to make a long story short, I think I reunited two long lost buds. Both had great things to say about one another and through a series of texts was able to get both of them one another's info. Pretty rad.

Alright, after some doorknobs there's one last thing to do before games get moved in!!!

Probably a week or two until that's ready to install. Until then, enjoy your dance breaks.

rogers.gifrogers.gif

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Alright, after some doorknobs there's one last thing to do before games get moved in!!!

After looking around a couple local big box stores for doorknobs that match the existing hardware in our house and coming up empty-handed, we found some online and placed an order.

Welp, these arrived a few days ago:

box (resized).jpgbox (resized).jpg

So I spent some time tonight turning this...

before (resized).pngbefore (resized).png

blank (resized).jpgblank (resized).jpg

...into this:

knob (resized).jpgknob (resized).jpg

knobs (resized).jpgknobs (resized).jpg

(Sing this next part to your own personal rhythmless tune) : EH-VRY ONE'S EXCITED ABOUT KNOBBIES FOR THE DOORS...IF EVERYONE IS MEEEEE! JUST BIDING TIME UNTIL MY NEON IS...FIIIINIIIISHED! TRYIN' REAL HARD NOT TO BE THE MERVYN'S GAL...SITTIN' OUT-SIDE THE NEON SHOP EACH MORNIN'!

mervyns.gifmervyns.gif

done.gifdone.gifdone1.gifdone1.gifdone2.gifdone2.gif

Until the next update, door dances, y'all...

door.gifdoor.gif

#188 4 years ago

My desperation vibes must have been palpable when I posted last night because I received an exciting series of images today...

38f5eeeb-c926-4d43-a558-7c2221725442 (resized).jpg38f5eeeb-c926-4d43-a558-7c2221725442 (resized).jpg

499cf135-7439-4264-b233-fa60c8b1927f (resized).jpg499cf135-7439-4264-b233-fa60c8b1927f (resized).jpg

7b10b90a-074a-4df7-a3d8-d98b36395111 (resized).jpg7b10b90a-074a-4df7-a3d8-d98b36395111 (resized).jpg

94281cfe-3417-4a28-92fb-bdf9976ce734 (resized).jpg94281cfe-3417-4a28-92fb-bdf9976ce734 (resized).jpg

a6737615-4d57-4e34-b6ef-952d567dd384 (resized).jpga6737615-4d57-4e34-b6ef-952d567dd384 (resized).jpg

...all sent in a very nice text message...

text (resized).jpgtext (resized).jpg

...which was equally as enjoyable as the images:

Screenshot_20190819-202731 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190819-202731 (resized).jpg

Love this guy!

Time to occupy myself with another...

pir.gifpir.gif

#197 4 years ago

I wonder if you’ve underestimated how bright that will be.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wait--my wife is here? Honey, you didn't tell me you registered a Pinside account!

#198 4 years ago

So, from my wife (above) to my mom, who just saw the process photos. I think she had my favorite reaction yet:

mom (resized).jpgmom (resized).jpg

...squiggly, indeed.

In other news, we have a neon installation date scheduled for Aug 29th, 2019. Set your notifications for a week from Thursday. I sure have.

Dance breaking in anticipation,
    Ryan

ozzy.gifozzy.gif

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Can't wait to see it. I think your future is so bright your gonna need to wear shades........LOL.
    John

It's the only way I'll be able to win at that puck bowler that's going right next to the neon.

shades.gifshades.gif

#209 4 years ago

Evidently the neon guy works on Saturdays...

e1f02c47-a806-45b8-a85c-3be7024a28b0 (resized).jpge1f02c47-a806-45b8-a85c-3be7024a28b0 (resized).jpg

...because I just received an image of this "pile."

("Pile" = his word, not mine.)

colbert.gifcolbert.gif

#211 4 years ago

A Monday update!

rough (resized).jpgrough (resized).jpg

...and a wiring diagram.

diagram (resized).jpgdiagram (resized).jpg

sofreakinexcited.gifsofreakinexcited.gif

#216 4 years ago

0d8c562e-1343-4967-b12c-cc61d1da9288 (resized).jpg0d8c562e-1343-4967-b12c-cc61d1da9288 (resized).jpg

Wow. Monday was a busy day! I received this image of all the neon test fit onto the sign backer (which has been painted to match the color of my basement wall). The next step is wiring, which will involved taking everything off the board, threading all the wires through the board, an reattaching everything a second time. From my understanding, if the wiring doesn't fit quite right it'll have to be done a third time.

T-minus 2 days and counting...

robodance.gifrobodance.gif

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

CAIN'T WAIT to see it all a-blinky!

Received this video last night:

...asked if the flippers could be animated so that they alternate the flippage (rather than double-flipping). Neon guy said that wouldn't be a problem and that he'd fix it in the morning. This guy is rad.

Don't want to encourage chimp-flipping in the Claytor Arcade...at least not with a demonstration on the sign. All play styles are welcome, though.

T-minus 1 day and counting until installation...

ac.gifac.gif

#220 4 years ago

...and true to his word, Neon master sent over this morning edition as I was publishing that last video:

Aw yeah.

#229 4 years ago

I, quite literally, had dreams about moving games into our new space last night.

T-minus 2 hours to install...

outtacontrol.gifouttacontrol.gif

#233 4 years ago

9:30am rolled around and the maestro of neon rolled up exactly as he said he would.

IMG_20190829_092221777 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_092221777 (resized).jpg

Wow! Quite a sight to behold in person, seeing that massive sign lying in the bed of his truck.

Neon fellow brought his son along for the install and the three of us shuffled it through my garage, into our house, and down to the basement.

IMG_20190829_093002128 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_093002128 (resized).jpg

This thing required 8 transformers. *phew*

IMG_20190829_093252970 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_093252970 (resized).jpg

They got measuring in short order...

IMG_20190829_092607364 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_092607364 (resized).jpg

...and once it was ready to go up, the son and I held the sign while the black belt of neon went around securing it.

IMG_20190829_104550412 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_104550412 (resized).jpg

#234 4 years ago

Then it was time to step back and admire the fruits of all our labor...

ClaytorArcadeSign (resized).jpgClaytorArcadeSign (resized).jpg

MY GOSH!!! It's really quite mesmerizing. We all just sort of stood back and took it in for a while. Enjoy the animated glow with us, won't you?

So, I've been getting some inquiries about who I went to in order to make this happen. Honestly, I've been waiting until the final install to say anything, but EV-ER-Y STEP of this process has been so silky smooth. He's done exactly what he told me he would, when he told me he would, came in on budget, gave me a heck of an education while we he was at it, and was an awfully nice guy to boot. So for those of you interested in getting something like this done for your basements/gamerooms/arcades, the master of neon is Josh, and here's his info:

Josh Goodacre

He's interested in doing more custom work like this, so hit him up! I can't recommend him highly enough. He made all my neon hopes and dreams come true, and I can only assume he'll do the same for you.

Once we were done basking in the neon glory, I asked Josh and son if I could take them out to lunch, so we went to a great local eatery together:

IMG_20190829_120412231 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_120412231 (resized).jpg

At the end of the meal, Josh politely reminded me he needed the balance of the sign paid. Like a doof, I was so keyed-up about the sign that I forgot my checkbook back home. I felt bad making Josh drive BACK to my house with me after we just left, but once we were home and I cut him a check he asked me if he could go down and see the sign one more time.

IMG_20190829_123844537 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_123844537 (resized).jpg

It was pretty great seeing that Josh was just as enthralled with the piece as I was.

Man, this thing is SO COOL!!!

ClaytorArcadeRyan (resized).jpgClaytorArcadeRyan (resized).jpg

Alright, guys, that's gonna bring the neon updates to a conclusion. I'll leave you with a few close-ups of Josh's handiwork...

IMG_20190829_142328612 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_142328612 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190829_124859284 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_124859284 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190829_142412888 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_142412888 (resized).jpg

...and of course, the customary dance break:

yaaas.gifyaaas.gif

Thanks, all, for following and chiming in on this thread. Some more to come, but this is certainly a highlight.

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Spectacular!!!!!!!

Quoted from Rody:

Way cool Ryan, so happy for you!

Quoted from jeffsgames:

Looks amazing Ryan.

Quoted from Thor-NL:

So tastefull!
    Congrats

Quoted from Dayhuff:

Looks great Ryan, and enjoy!!
    John

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Awesome sign!

Quoted from swinks:

Looks awesome Ryan, congrats

Quoted from LargemouthAss:

That came out PERFECTLY!!!!

Quoted from roar:

Perfect! Looks amazing.

Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

That is SOOOoO cool!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Beautiful Sign, makes the space! Will look terrific with pins lining the walls!

Sincerely, thank you. I'll also pass these sentiments along to Josh.

Quoted from jeffsgames:

Now get those machines moved it!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Will look terrific with pins lining the walls!

That's tomorrow! (Thanks in advance, @paddlepaw !)

Quoted from yancy:

Should've messed with him and said with a straight face "oh, I thought lunch would cover it. That's all the money I have."

Ha-ha! Now I know how to "pay" you once I order the next copy of Scoregasm Master.

Quoted from yzfguy:

Looks great, but this is bullshit.... I'm gonna miss this thread!

*LOL* Most memorable response of the day. Gave the wife and I a hearty chortle, @yzfguy !

#254 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

That thin is so cool.
    I would put it on a motion detection outlet so It will turn on anytime I was in the room!

Ha-ha! Thanks for the nice comment, Ryan, and for the suggestion. I've got it wired into a switch at soon as I walk into and out of the room, so it's pretty convenient.

Quoted from epthegeek:

The neon turned out freakin' amazing Ryan! Massive props to both you for the design and the neon guy for the craftsmanship!

Thanks, Eric!!! I feel the same way!!!

Quoted from epthegeek:

When do you start your side-gig in neon design?

Uhm...last week? It's true, before the sign was even finished I was contacted by an awfully nice collector I'd not formerly met about designing a neon for his new gameroom. I had a blast researching and designing this sign and would LOVE to do more. Josh (the neon guru) is excited about handing off the occasional design duties to me as well (and is also excited about the possibility of fabricating more custom neon for arcades/gamerooms!) so the situation worked out perfectly.

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Truly unique. It's is refreshing to know that there are still craftsmen who take extreme pride in their work. This could not have been an inexpensive piece to create, and hopefully you will have decades of enjoyment from it!

Of that I am certain. Thank you, Chris!

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Have you considered some sort of plexi to go in front of it? Not sure how the games would be arranged, but would hate to have someone bump into something on the sign and have it damaged after all of your hard work.

Chris

The thought crossed my mind. While plexi would make it more safe, I'm not a big fan of that layer of removal from the piece. I really love seeing the bare neon out in the open, but I guess we'll see how often something breaks. Ha-ha! I'm hoping for not very...but I am the father of a 6-year-old boy, so we'll see. Junior and I did go over the two rules of the new gameroom before I showed it to the family yesterday afternoon:

1. No touching the sign
    2. No throwing anything in the gameroom (balls or otherwise)

Hoping for the best!

Quoted from Stoomer:

The elephant has landed...congrats Ryan!!

Ha-ha! Thanks, Sean. Gettin' it prepped to receive your lovely former #stage-coach .

Speaking of which, I was up late last night putting finishing touches on a bunch of paint stuff.

When...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...the carpet guys...

...were installing the carpet, they scratched up the walls a little. Unavoidable, really, as they were hefting around a MASSIVE 300+ lb roll of carpet that is pretty coarse on the back. Anyhow, no big deal, but I went around touching up the walls after Josh brought my can of wall paint back from his neon shop. Also, after handling the sign and moving it into place, there were some scuffs on the edges, as well as some misplaced drill holes (due to my mismeasurements, not Josh's) and screwheads of a different color:

IMG_20190829_184618546 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_184618546 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190829_184649219 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_184649219 (resized).jpg

So I puttied, sanded (a bit...albeit hastily), and repainted...

fix (resized).jpgfix (resized).jpg

fix2 (resized).jpgfix2 (resized).jpg

...in preparation for the games going back in later today. Not perfect, but hardly noticeable, especially from any distance that doesn't require a macro lens.

roomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpgroomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpg

*swoon*

Alright, gotta prep for @paddlepaw 's arrival.

Later!

mom.gifmom.gif

#257 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Be sure that all of the phillips screws are aligned so the slots are all set in the same direction. (yeah I do that for real, its an OCD thing).

Oh, gawd, please don't suggest an addition to my OCD. I'm sure, like all of us, I've got plenty! *LOL*

Also, *SIGH!!!* my land...I'm beat. This afternoon, this...

roomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpgroomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpg

...turned into this...

IMG_20190830_232333341 (resized).jpgIMG_20190830_232333341 (resized).jpg

...and the 8-hour night of moving, emergency late night leg bolt trip to Lowe's, and multiple trips up and down multiple flights of stairs hefting games couldn't have happened nearly as quick or efficiently without paddlepaw

IMG_20190830_192845837 (resized).jpgIMG_20190830_192845837 (resized).jpg

My land, if there was ever a Grand Champion of this evening, it's him. Thanks a bunch, homie! That was a TON of work.

Still some finishing touches and clean up to do, but the games are pretty much all there and pretty much all working as they were when I put 'em on their butts 4 months ago.

The one drawback of the evening is that I may have overestimated the amount of room I have for games. Ha-ha! I was estimating room for 15. Looks like it might be room for 13. That's how many are in place at the moment, but perhaps with some creative shuffling I might stuff another one in there? Or maybe I'll just allow for some breathing room and sell a couple pins. *shrugs*

That, however, is a project for another day. <---(This evening's oft repeated motto. *LOL* )

For now...

tenor.giftenor.gif

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Its going to look even better with all the pins in and turned on.

In our haste to get games on legs last night, I forgot to plug in a few jones plugs and insert balls. Got another four games running as they should this morning and my wife helped clean up some of the detritus from last night's all-hours set-up. All that to say, it edges ever closer to the photo-op we've all been waiting for.

Another thing I accomplished this morning was a nice tripod-mounted video uploaded to YouTube:

...and after all this, it's only fitting to have an animated gif of said video:

ClaytorArcade.gifClaytorArcade.gif

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

THAT IS AWESOME!

Quoted from phillyfan64:

Absolutely fantastic!!

Quoted from EricHadley:

This whole thing is really quite stunning

It’s really coming together.[quoted image]

Thank you! I'm still coming to terms with it myself. It's kinda hard for me to believe it's reality yet.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

ClaytorNEON, LLC registered yet?

Ha! Considering I've not bent a single tube, that DBA is likely still up for grabs.

Quoted from EricHadley:

Now I want neon in my game room!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Josh Goodacre

Edit: ...and I was just notified, Josh set up a Facebook page for his business TONIGHT:

https://www.facebook.com/neon4u2

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Askew, great word, google it though, worth the 5 seconds

Quoted from roar:

the entire screen is askew... it’s an awesome Easter egg.

Quoted from yzfguy:

Ha! I had to go back and check, I totally missed that!

*LOL* That's pretty incredible.

#276 4 years ago

Okay, everyone. I think this will pretty much put a fork in this thread. I finally got the last of the (major) kinks worked out of our basement and took some time this evening to snap some glamour shots. Please enjoy the new pictures of the new Claytor Arcade!

claytorArcade_2000px.jpgclaytorArcade_2000px.jpg

Pano2000.jpgPano2000.jpg

The wood rails:

woodrail02_2000px.jpgwoodrail02_2000px.jpg

woodrail01_2000px.jpgwoodrail01_2000px.jpg

E.M.'s and Moderns:

modernEM_2000px.jpgmodernEM_2000px.jpg

modernEM_2000pxPANO.jpgmodernEM_2000pxPANO.jpg

And just so I don't have to link to multiple posts, I figured I'd include some images and video of the neon.

High res:

ClaytorArcadeSign.jpgClaytorArcadeSign.jpg

Animated GIF:

ClaytorArcade.gifClaytorArcade.gif

YouTube Video:

It's been an awfully fun ride. Thanks coming along with me and for keeping me smiling over the course of the past 4+ months of renovations and no access to my pins. I swear I just smile when I walk into this room now.

goosiesEverywhere.gifgoosiesEverywhere.gif

Now it's time for me to go enjoy this new space.

Later, homies!

bye.gifbye.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-claytorian-basement-remodel?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.