Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2G3A9614 (resized).jpeg
    48902292_2017593708540150_8795798022379274240_o-4 (resized).jpg
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    ClaytorArcadeSign.jpg
    goosiesEverywhere.gif
    bye.gif
    woodrail01_2000px.jpg
    woodrail02_2000px.jpg
    claytorArcade_2000px.jpg
    Pano2000.jpg
    modernEM_2000px.jpg
    modernEM_2000pxPANO.jpg
    79BDF22A-D86D-49BE-8CE8-569CD68ED654 (resized).png
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    F894D5B7-3843-49C3-B042-78231AD91071.gif
    tenor.gif
    There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

I'm starting a basement remodel and thought I'd document it here. Currently, we have room for about 10 games and our goal is to finish an unfinished portion of our basement that will accommodate about 15 games. For those of you who have followed my threads in the past, you know you're in for a slow burn. So, buckle-up, buddies, and let's spin this yarn...

Prior to purchasing and moving into our current home, I mocked up a basement space that looked something like this:

preMoveIn (resized).jpgpreMoveIn (resized).jpg

At this time, 2014, we had 4 pinball machines. This made me feel pretty good, because I knew we'd have room for a few more games. When we moved in, it looked like this:

IMG_3213 (resized).JPGIMG_3213 (resized).JPG

IMG_3224 (resized).JPGIMG_3224 (resized).JPG

...which was a pretty amazing feeling to OWN our own house and have a few games to set up in a playable space.

But you guys all know how this story goes once you have one, so let's fast track this...

Circa late 2016:
    pano (resized).jpgpano (resized).jpg

Mid 2017:
    panoBasementMay2017 (resized).jpgpanoBasementMay2017 (resized).jpg

The Claytorian Flood of Early 2018:
    2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg

...and eventual resurrection:
    animation.gifanimation.gif

Finally, this is how our space has settled down as of 2019:
    ClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpgClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpg

...but that doesn't mean there aren't a few more lurking in the wings :
    Slide215 (resized).PNGSlide215 (resized).PNG

Because of that, I've had my eye on an unfinished portion of our basement that, until now, has been used largely for storage. I did some mock-ups of that space for our contractor:

view1 (resized).jpgview1 (resized).jpgview2 (resized).jpgview2 (resized).jpg

And started the daunting task of putting all our games on their butts for a couple (few? ) months and moving all of our accumulated sundry junk out of a particular space to be finished (the half-wall storage area):

view3 (resized).jpgview3 (resized).jpg

So, presently, this is what our glorious gameroom looked like during our Easter party:

Saturday, April 20, 2019:
    easter (resized).jpgeaster (resized).jpg
    ClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpgClaytorArcadeJuly18.jpg

Sunday, April 21, 2019, my helpful topless son assisted me in disassembling our fleet:
    IMG_20190421_103426990 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_103426990 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_105325330 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_105325330 (resized).jpg

...and eventually it looked like this:
    IMG_20190421_201805160 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_201805160 (resized).jpg

...ready to receive an avalanche of outgrown baby stuffs and mystery boxes largely unopened since we moved into this house 5 years ago:
    IMG_20190423_131605674 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_131605674 (resized).jpg

So that was today's task (Tuesday, April 23, 2019), which essentially cleared out roughly half of that half-wall storage area, which had very little organization.

IMG_20190423_131237728 (resized).jpgIMG_20190423_131237728 (resized).jpg

Just a large open area that we hope to turn into a more usable and organized space with the addition of shelving and padded carpet (shown in the mock-ups above).

In an effort to compartmentalize this little venture and make it feel like perhaps some progress is being made, I tried to organize this undertaking into phases:

Phase 1: Clear-out half-wall storage
    Phase 2: Remodel half-wall storage with wardrobe, shelving, and padded carpet
    Phase 3: Move junk into remodeled half-wall storage and migrate junk from new game room onto new half-wall storage
    Phase 4: Remodel new game room with drywall, electrical, and padded carpet
    Phase 5: Paint walls
    Phase 6: Move games into remodeled game room
    Phase 7: Paint feature wall mural and incorporate neon sign
    Phase 8: Regain sanity and enjoy new space

I'm trying to have that storage space cleared and ready by May 1st, which is around when our contractor will be ready to start. ...still gotta pick out some carpet before then.

Here we go!!! Thanks in advance for taggin' along on this exciting and daunting ride with us.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor

#2 5 years ago

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

#3 5 years ago

Best wishes Ryan for a project that meets you timeline and financial expectations (they rarely do!)

#4 5 years ago

Good luck, you can always come down to VA to get your fix in if needed.

I'm curious where the alley will reside during the remodel?

#5 5 years ago

Excitement!!

#6 5 years ago

This looks awesome!
    You are going to have a sweet setup.
    (Nice bunny ears!)

#7 5 years ago

Have a Blast getting it done!

Caught the Bally Hayride being worked on!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Us too! BTW, I think I've mentioned this before, Lint, but nice avatar.

Quoted from Rody:

Best wishes Ryan for a project that meets you timeline and financial expectations (they rarely do!)

Ha-ha! So true, Rody. I'm trying to brace myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget.

whoops.gifwhoops.gif

Quoted from bingopodcast:

...you can always come down to VA to get your fix in if needed.

Don't tempt us, BingoPodcast! We've done it before!

Quoted from jeffc:

Excitement!!

beachDance.gifbeachDance.gif

Quoted from RCA1:

This looks awesome!
    You are going to have a sweet setup.
    (Nice bunny ears!)

Thanks, RCA1! See you at PatZ this weekend?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Doin' our best, OldPinGuy! Keepin' eyeses on prizes over here!

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Caught the Bally Hayride being worked on!

wayenavoid.gifwayenavoid.gif

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You know, they say the journey is the destination, but I kinda feel like in this case the destination is the destination. I mean, I sure hope this isn't the destination:

IMG_20190425_114441575.jpgIMG_20190425_114441575.jpg

Speaking of which, shrewd viewers may have noticed some additional garbage in that heap. It's because last night, the second half of that half-wall storage unit:

IMG_20190424_182434325.jpgIMG_20190424_182434325.jpg

...got cleared out:

IMG_20190425_112510101.jpgIMG_20190425_112510101.jpg

So that today a carpet guy could come do some measurements:

IMG_20190425_111149727.jpgIMG_20190425_111149727.jpg

He said this was the first time he'd seen this half-wall type of area.

Just a brief aside, we bought our place from the original owner/builder. We've since asked him, "Why the half-wall?" We assumed there was an obstruction of some sort. Maybe a sewer pipe or an immovable subterranean boulder or perhaps a pirate chest of doubloons that could help us with this remodel. But, no. It was strictly cost-cutting. I believe his response to us was something like, "You know, in retrospect, I could kick myself for not digging that out the rest of the way, as it would have only added another $200 - $300 to the cost of the build."

sigh.gifsigh.gif

#9 4 years ago

Minor updates: On Friday, I received the final quotes on both areas of carpet (cheap stuff for the half-wall storage area and also luxurious carpet and padding for the new arcade area). I handed over 50% payment for both areas and scheduled the soonest available installation for the half-wall storage area, which was about two and a half weeks away (May 14th). That's a lot longer than I hoped to wait, as I previously told my contractor he could start building the shelving on top of the carpet around May 1st. However, I repeated the aforementioned basement building mantra:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm trying to brace myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget.

So, I reluctantly accepted, but not before asking to be notified about any potential cancellations or openings in their schedule. They assured me I was on a list of one kind or another and, after hanging up, I left a voicemail with my contractor to let him know about the 2+ week delay.

Fast forward to today and I received a call from the carpet folks. Turns out they DID have an unexpected opening and now we'll be getting carpet installed on May 6th instead of the 14th.

Woo-hoo!

Once again, contractor was notified of this next change and, thankfully, he seems awfully calm, cool, and collected about the whole thing.

Until May 6th,
    Ryan

P.S. Dance break:

chickenDance.gifchickenDance.gif
    #10 4 years ago

I know where you can get a machine for your half-wall area.

imamaculate (resized).jpgimamaculate (resized).jpg

#11 4 years ago

I'm in, for the basement build, for more knowledge about building game rooms, for the animated gifs, and maybe even an update on that retheme someday

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I know where you can get a machine for your half-wall area.
    [quoted image]

Man, that's a fun game. I'd pick that up off the curb in a heartbeat.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'm in, for the basement build, for more knowledge about building game rooms, for the animated gifs...

Thanks, Jim!

Quoted from xsvtoys:

...and maybe even an update on that retheme someday

fawlty.giffawlty.gif

Sooo...as you may have suspected, that's been back-burnered due to this basement remodel and other projects taking precedent, but it's still firmly in my mind (gnawing at the back of my brain).

THANK, JIM!!!

- --- ----- --- -

In other news, I received an order of pin-footies today:

IMG_20190501_124852066.jpgIMG_20190501_124852066.jpg

With this glorious gameroom carpet coming soon-ish, I wanted to be ready to plop some games on it without destroying it.

Shouts and thanks to Terry @pinballlife for distributing a great product finely crafted by @bryan_kelly !

#13 4 years ago

Hey Ryan, far be it from me to complain, I am so far behind in my pinball projects it's ridiculous. Life gets in the way sometimes. Plus I get easily distracted by other things but that's another story.

#14 4 years ago

May the sixth be with you. And you know what that means. Carpet day for the half-wall storage area!

So the carpet installers showed up this morning:

censored (resized).jpgcensored (resized).jpg

After the tack strips went down, they got the padding installed in pretty short order:

IMG_20190506_120432944 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_120432944 (resized).jpg

...and wrapped it up post-lunch. After which I ran our vacu-bot a couple of times:

IMG_20190506_131205366 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_131205366 (resized).jpg

And, by golly, I think that's about the best this awkward little space is ever going to look:

IMG_20190506_150205212 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_150205212 (resized).jpg

Now it's prepped and ready for the shelving:

IMG_20190506_150225386 (resized).jpgIMG_20190506_150225386 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, the contractor (scheduled to install the shelving tomorrow) won't be able to make it here until next week.

Living my mantra over here:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...brac[ing] myself for the inevitable mismanagement of time and budget...

Until next (week's) update, stay classy, Pinside.

Dance Break!

shrimpDance.gifshrimpDance.gif

#15 4 years ago

wtf is this shrimp dance from?! i MUST see the source.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

If it's from Oz, does that make it a prawn dance? Either way, I concur and need to see this source as well!

Basement spot looks great. Looks like a crime may have occurred near that step ladder, though!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

i MUST see the source.

Quoted from EasternBloc:

Either way, I concur and need to see this source as well!

Not the source but just as much fun. Big Shrimpees little children:

Sorry for temporarily commandeering your thread Ryan! I couldn't resist!

Thanks for censoring that picture! I don't want that image in my brain all day.

Your basement remodel is going to be awesome, looking forward to seeing it done!

#18 4 years ago

Cinderblock walls + carpet = Better keep them downspouts clear.
    Good luck with the project. Going to be worth it.

#19 4 years ago

Love it. If there is one thing I wish I had at home, it's a basement.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Quoted from EasternBloc:

I concur and need to see this source as well!

I honestly have no idea. Just found it in my typical searches for animated gifs. Sorry. Pretty glorious, though, right!?

Quoted from Pecos:

I don't want that image in my brain all day.

You're welcome.

Quoted from Pecos:

Your basement remodel is going to be awesome...

Thanks, Pecos! Here's hoping!

Quoted from Pecos:

...looking forward to seeing it done!

Us, too!!!

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Cinderblock walls + carpet = Better keep them downspouts clear.

Word-up. We've got those gutter covers installed all over the house, and outside of a check-valve failure, our basement has been quite dry for the 5 years we've lived here. *knocking on wooden crossed fingers holding horseshoes and rabbit feet*

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Good luck with the project. Going to be worth it.

Aw yeah.

Quoted from desertT1:

If there is one thing I wish I had at home, it's a basement.

Come to Michigan (I say as a former Californian). We're lousy with basements and reasonably priced real estate over here.

Since we're all just twiddling our thumbs until next week, I thought I'd mention another bit of excitement. About 5 days ago, my buddy, Nick bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project. Here's an excerpt from an email we just received:

- --- --- -
    The conversation you recorded with Cynthia Canty about Coin-Op Carnival will air today on our show.

Stateside airs from 3-4 p.m. and again from 10-11 p.m. on Michigan Radio:
    91.7 FM – Ann Arbor/Detroit
    91.1 FM – Flint
    104.1 FM – West Michigan
    MichiganRadio.org – online streaming

You'll also be able to find the full audio of your segment around 5 p.m. today on the Stateside page of our website, MichiganRadio.org.
    - --- --- -

Let's see how this turned out and if they honored my request NOT to play The Who's "Pinball Wizard."

Dance break (in the back right):

legDance.giflegDance.gif

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I honestly have no idea. Just found it in my typical searches for animated gifs. Sorry. Pretty glorious, though, right!?

YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME!!!!!!!!!! I MUST FIND THE SOURCE!!!!!!!!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Unfortunately, the contractor (scheduled to install the shelving tomorrow) won't be able to make it here until next week.

Cool place for your son to build a fort while u wait for shelving!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!!

Quoted from c508:

Cool place for your son to build a fort while u wait for shelving!

My gawd...that's brilliant. Thank you for snapping me out of my task-oriented stupor. Sincerely. Fort-time needs to happen.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project.

So, that aired, and now it's archived here:

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/stateside-state-senate-passes-auto-insurance-reform-pinball-history-comic-book-new-west-mi

^^^ ...just scroll about 1/2 - 2/3 down that page to find our isolated segment.

Enjoy,
    Ryan

P.S. Dance break:

sprokets.gifsprokets.gif

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I haven’t been able to figure out where that came from. But this is a pretty entertaining video about the mantis shrimp. Which apparently is the hardest punching animal in the entire world.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Logo in the corner says SBS and they have a show called Danger 5 where stupid stuff like this happens. My money is on that show for the time being.
    Actually the logo is SBS 2 which aired series 2 of Danger 5, so I think it is in there.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I found a link on reddit.com:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/3aed8a/oh_stop_it_you/

That pointed to:

https://giphy.com/gifs/dUbpfXvWFDBW8

That doesn't mean that is the original source, though.

Quoted from Syco54645:

Actually the logo is SBS 2 which aired series 2 of Danger 5, so I think it is in there.

This makes more sense as the original source.

Then I found this crazy shrimp dance thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monstercat/comments/b7ib5x/meme_no_title_needed_heres_some_eerie_shit/

This thread is going to the crustaceans!

#27 4 years ago

Nice you have a father son project going on there. Be glad you decided to keep half wall area as is and just organize it. I would have gone all out delaying project even longer buy removing it and having cost over runs. I see these a lot in my line of work. I think the same thing they saved how much by half ass'n it.

#28 4 years ago

I keep my basement pretty clutter free with one simple rule, if it's been sitting in a box unused for a year or more it's time to get rid of it. Not sure why people feel the need to hold onto so much stuff they never use.

#29 4 years ago

Well, RyanClaytor is an illustrator and comic book artist, so I am sure a lot of it is source material and personal comic collection.

I've got lots of guns (in safe) and tools (in chests) I have not used in a year or more, but I am in no rush to get rid of them.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I keep my basement pretty clutter free with one simple rule, if it's been sitting in a box unused for a year or more it's time to get rid of it. Not sure why people feel the need to hold onto so much stuff they never use.

I use that rule with two exceptions (created by regret later at rigorously following the rule);

1. Tools - NEVER throw away a tool. If you used it once, you are likely to use it again.
    2. Items with a replacement cost of over $500.

#31 4 years ago

I may have to make the trip up to check out this remodel over the summer, I'll bribe my way in with some Terrill's

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I use that rule with two exceptions (created by regret later at rigorously following the rule);
    1. Tools - NEVER throw away a tool. If you used it once, you are likely to use it again.

This I agree with 100%

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

this is a pretty entertaining video

Oh my gawd...I about died watching this. *LOL* Showed it to my wife who had the same reaction. Currently, my son is all about the Wild Kratts(two animal-excited bros educating kiddos about creatures and their "powers") so this hit us just right. Thank you, for this, Jim.

Quoted from Syco54645:

the logo is SBS 2 which aired series 2 of Danger 5, so I think it is in there.

Sounds plausible! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quoted from Pecos:

Then I found this crazy shrimp dance thing

God bless the internet.

Quoted from cp1610:

Be glad you decided to keep half wall area as is and just organize it. I would have gone all out delaying project even longer buy removing it and having cost over runs.

I need mah pinballz back on their feets!

Quoted from Mitch:

I keep my basement pretty clutter free

That sounds nice.

Quoted from Mitch:

one simple rule, if it's been sitting in a box unused for a year or more it's time to get rid of it.

My sincere hope is that before all of our junk goes back, we'll cut a bunch of it from our permanent storage line-up. Wish us well and send us your clutter-free thoughts, Mitch!

Quoted from c508:

ryanclaytor is an illustrator and comic book artist, so I am sure a lot of it is source material and personal comic collection.

Thank you, c508, and you're a bunch of right...

comics (resized).jpgcomics (resized).jpg

Quoted from robotron911:

3. If it is a comic book.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

I may have to make the trip up to check out this remodel over the summer, I'll bribe my way in with some Terrill's

You know you're welcome here anytime, Tommy. ...but I've gotta say, I'm not sure the place is trip-worthy, yet. Ha-ha!

Speaking of which...

IMG_20190514_143623849 (resized).jpgIMG_20190514_143623849 (resized).jpg

...here's the Tuesday update! The storage shelving is going in today as I type. This area should take another day or two to finish, then it's time to sift through all that miscellaneous debris I've been judged so harshly for and decide what stays and what will go.

Thanks for keepin' me company here in my up-turned basement, guys!

Dance Break:

st.gifst.gif

#34 4 years ago

Can't wait to see the progress Ryan!

#35 4 years ago

Groo is an amazing book, as any fool can plainly see.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffsgames:

Can't wait to see the progress Ryan!

Thanks, Jeff! The feeling is mutual.

Quoted from TheGiggler:

Groo is an amazing book, as any fool can plainly see.

To not read Groo is to err like a mendicant.

#37 4 years ago

Dang, those yellowed old comic book long boxes give me the warm fuzzies.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Dang, those yellowed old comic book long boxes give me the warm fuzzies.

Amen, brother! ...glad I'm not the only one.

- --- ----- --- -

Okay, today was a pretty exciting day! CHECK IT OUT!!!

The half-wall basement storage area is COMPLETE!!! WOOO!!!

party.gifparty.gif

For those that aren't keen on video, here are some stills.

From ground level:

IMG_20190516_205836234 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_205836234 (resized).jpg

Topside:

pano (resized).jpgpano (resized).jpg

...with a built-in wardrobe for my wife's clothes on the left (in Michigan we need a summer and winter wardrobe...and a place to store them in the off-season):

IMG_20190516_201511118 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201511118 (resized).jpg

Rounding that corner behind the wardrobe:

IMG_20190516_201820275 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201820275 (resized).jpg

This back portion has three sets of shelves that are sized to fit my

Quoted from yancy:

...yellowed old comic book [short] boxes...

IMG_20190516_201724532 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201724532 (resized).jpg

Hard to photograph some of these spaces but here's an orange-peeled panorama:

IMG_20190516_201934749 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201934749 (resized).jpg

...and finally, leading back out:

IMG_20190516_201925044 (resized).jpgIMG_20190516_201925044 (resized).jpg

I told my wife tonight, if I'm this happy about the storage space getting finished, I don't know what I'm gonna do when the arcade is done.

Mighty-night, all!

...a weary, incoherent dance break:

tail.giftail.gif

#39 4 years ago

As of the last update, we've completed:

Phase 1: Clear-out half-wall storage
    Phase 2: Remodel half-wall storage with wardrobe, shelving, and padded carpet

Now we're on to...

Phase 3: Move junk into remodeled half-wall storage and migrate junk from new game room onto new half-wall storage

...which is actually proving to be more gratifying than I suspected.

But not before finding a...

Quoted from c508:

...Cool place for [my] son to build a fort...

IMG_20190517_081736121 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_081736121 (resized).jpg

Thanks, C508.

Anyhow, do you recall that little, nondescript, hobbit door under our stairway in the old arcade:

IMG_20190518_110410521 (resized).jpgIMG_20190518_110410521 (resized).jpg

(Insert Penny Pitch flex )

Well, through that door held roughly half of my comic boxes:

IMG_20190517_134021170 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_134021170 (resized).jpg

...which were quasi inaccessible beneath that stairway:

IMG_20190517_134035523 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_134035523 (resized).jpg

Consequently, I rarely accessed my comics and, as you can see, organization and, shamefully, filing kinda fell by the wayside (for YEARS) as it was such a pain in the buns to grab anything in there. So, new acquisitions often just got piled atop those poorly stored boxes.

Alright, now that the shelves are built, I started schlepping all the boxes from said closet, as well as the new storage room:

IMG_20190517_131759617 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_131759617 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190517_131815495 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_131815495 (resized).jpg

...into the newly renovated half-wall storage area:

IMG_20190517_135520285 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_135520285 (resized).jpg

And eventually got most of those boxes into their respective spots:

IMG_20190517_151721236 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_151721236 (resized).jpg

Which felt pretty amazing. There's still a healthy amount of sorting to do...

IMG_20190517_151959582 (resized).jpgIMG_20190517_151959582 (resized).jpg

...but it's getting done. I'm also making lists for additional supplies (boxes, bags, boards, etc) that I need to finish this long-neglected task. Should be complete in the next day or two, but, man, this already feels like a bright light at the end of a tunnel.

Dance break:

poleDance.gifpoleDance.gif

#40 4 years ago

Yesterday I stopped at a local comic shop to pick up those...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

additional supplies (boxes, bags, boards, etc)

...that I mentioned last time. So, I've been chipping away at the organization of my comic library space. Gratifying, but it doesn't look much different to anyone besides me, so I'll save you the image bandwidth...at least for that part.

My wife was really the champ today. She sorted through a TON of stuff and got it organized into piles to sell, piles to hand to Goodwill, and piles to throw away. The back of my car is filled with bags I'll be dropping off to Goodwill in the morning...

IMG_20190519_202750201 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_202750201 (resized).jpg

...and shredding later in the day...

IMG_20190519_202810263 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_202810263 (resized).jpg

While we've given away carloads of baby stuff, we still have mountains more we'll try to sell in the coming week. Evidently my wife looked into some store in the area. Again, she's the trophy winner today. She even went through a mountain of her old clothes and is selling or donating A BUNCH of it. So proud of her.

Anyhow, we're thinning the boxes from our old arcade/current storage area, as well as our current unfinished storage/soon-to-be-finished-arcade:

IMG_20190519_203119028 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203119028 (resized).jpg

It may not look like much, but that entire right side was cleared of junk:

IMG_20190519_203028399 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203028399 (resized).jpg

Now I've gotta step up and clear out that other portion of my debris:

IMG_20190519_203101898 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_203101898 (resized).jpg

Basement Dance Break:

basementDance.gifbasementDance.gif

#41 4 years ago

The GIF's, man... the GIF's...

Keep crankin' away. Looking good!

#42 4 years ago

It's good to see Stagecoach making new friends...

#43 4 years ago

I can ALMOST read the sign on the big chest freezer. It clearly says "STOP," then someotherstufff..........
    Been guessing it says something like "You know you really don't need more ice cream right now."

Looks good so far. The gameroom should be sweet!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I can ALMOST read the sign on the big chest freezer. It clearly says "STOP," then someotherstufff..........
    Been guessing it says something like "You know you really don't need more ice cream right now."
    Looks good so far. The gameroom should be sweet!

I believe it says "Stop: Don't set anything on this."

....or something similar.

Every time I'm there, I make sure to put something on it.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I believe it says "Stop: Don't set anything on this."

It's true. My wife likes a pristine freezer top. She's a meticulous one.

Anyhow, we're still getting rid of more junk. Today we sold a healthy amount of baby stuff:

moreJunk (resized).jpgmoreJunk (resized).jpg

...and took SEVERAL. MORE. TRIPS. ...to Goodwill. We're practically on a first name basis now...us and Ole' Good.

We're also getting rid of lots of boxes. Here's our recycle for proof:

recycle (resized).jpgrecycle (resized).jpg

Typically our 2 weeks of recycling fits in that brown bin on the right. ...we still have a week to go before our next pick-up.

In addition to clearing out more detritus, one of the puzzle pieces that needs to fit together somewhere between framing our unfinished future arcade and running electrical, is the creation of a custom neon sign.

So, if you recall, this was our existing arcade space:

42d1ef8f-8d14-4e99-9e82-ef516cd27eda (resized).jpg42d1ef8f-8d14-4e99-9e82-ef516cd27eda (resized).jpg

Here you can see the floor plan in comparison to our proposed space:

3acd64c4-64d4-4d19-baba-ffcef8818591 (resized).jpg3acd64c4-64d4-4d19-baba-ffcef8818591 (resized).jpg

...and here's what it currently looks like from eye level:

dd2dc985-d423-4fd6-8936-937ca315b01c (resized).jpgdd2dc985-d423-4fd6-8936-937ca315b01c (resized).jpg

And this is a 3D rendering of that same space finished:

568c4594-9691-47dc-a84a-7ca2aaada904 (resized).jpg568c4594-9691-47dc-a84a-7ca2aaada904 (resized).jpg

That image above shows a feature wall at the end of the row. That's where I'd like to design the sign.

This is a mock-up I created of that far wall with the silhouettes of the couple games that will hug that wall:

aa76a2aa-b0c7-41d2-81b3-260c6df9eb5c (resized).jpgaa76a2aa-b0c7-41d2-81b3-260c6df9eb5c (resized).jpg

For the inquiring minds, it will be a Penny Pitch on the left:

ffd47f8c-1b87-462a-a5bc-160e2a45361a (resized).jpgffd47f8c-1b87-462a-a5bc-160e2a45361a (resized).jpg

...and a puck bowler on the right:

a1168b48-7d0e-4a7a-86b7-e42341025920 (resized).jpga1168b48-7d0e-4a7a-86b7-e42341025920 (resized).jpg

So I tried making some quick and dirty sketches of what the sign might look like, just so I had something to chat about with the neon guy:

03196501-47bd-4693-85d9-88ecd90b2c56 (resized).jpg03196501-47bd-4693-85d9-88ecd90b2c56 (resized).jpg

Late last night, I did a color rendition:

78df3385-4009-4ad4-b21b-7aa82a56fcb0 (resized).jpg78df3385-4009-4ad4-b21b-7aa82a56fcb0 (resized).jpg

And what it might look like animated:

neonMock.gifneonMock.gif

I'd love to have some sort of animation on my sign. I also tossed it into that proposed environment:

b1129cc3-60ec-4993-ae27-06903a05ad97 (resized).jpgb1129cc3-60ec-4993-ae27-06903a05ad97 (resized).jpg

...and did my best to figure out the ideal size I'd want it:

c4aaa8d4-b4c2-4be2-b4fd-35ab26bfa64a (resized).jpgc4aaa8d4-b4c2-4be2-b4fd-35ab26bfa64a (resized).jpg

...knowing full well that these could quite possibly be pie-in-the-sky dreams. I mean, that sign looks a little big...and potentially out of our budget.

I went to the neon guy today and it turns out that size doesn't matter. (I can feel the cursors highlighting that last sentence and quote option being pushed.) I asked if I were to shave off a foot on each dimension, would that bring the price down? He said no, but the cost increases significantly with EACH FRAME of animation. Evidently, every frame needs a separate transformer...on top of the 3-ish transformers that I'd need anyway. Just to put this into perspective, if we made that sign without any animation, the price would be around a grand. If we made it animated as you see there, it would be in the 3-4k range.

no.gifno.gif

Just a touch out of our budget.

There's hope, though! For not much additional money, I could create an ALTERNATING element (first 1, then 2, then back to one, repeat). I could also have a FLASHING element, for not much additional outlay (on, then off, back on, repeat). The final thing neon guy mentioned is that there's a special transformer that can do 4 frames of animation for one low price. Sounds great, but he went on to say that he's seen a lot of these types of transformers that kinda crap-out. When I asked for specifics he said that the ON/OFF of each frame isn't very good...like, previous "frames" will stay lit or look kinda be lit when they should be off, or not quite animate crisply. I don't think I want to deal with that, but we'll see how much I can pair back this animated business. He did say that he could check/test the transformer once it arrives. If it doesn't act appropriately, he could send it back and get another one. I asked him if he ever sees good, four-frame, transformers crap-out in short order. He said no, but didn't have a lot of experience with the signs after they're out of his shop so...

shrugs.gifshrugs.gif

Sooo...that's where we're at right now. Trying to get everything lined up. Builder should be back next week (really gotta keep moving on this clearing-out business), electrical guy should be here on June 5th, and before either of them do their thing, I needed some info from neon guy so that I can mount that sign in a clean way (I don't want any chords visible and I'd like the neon to be flush on the wall). I think I got all those questions answered today, though, so that's good.

Alright, more to do. Thanks for hangin' out here.

Oh, before I go, I'm up for suggestions on that neon sign business. Nothing is set in stone yet, so I'm all ears...for the time being.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Good luck, you can always come down to VA to get your fix in if needed.
    I'm curious where the alley will reside during the remodel?

It will reside at my house please and thank you!

#47 4 years ago

So, if you recall, this space:

IMG_20190421_201834154 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_201834154 (resized).jpg

...needed to get cleaned up. So the past week has yeilded this:

IMG_20190528_150105752 (resized).jpgIMG_20190528_150105752 (resized).jpg

...PREH-TEE much cleaned up.

I've had to get creative with storage:

IMG_20190526_181502350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190526_181502350 (resized).jpg

...and things are starting to invade odd places:

IMG_20190526_202244485 (resized).jpgIMG_20190526_202244485 (resized).jpg

...until this remodel is finished. Honestly, it's starting to feel a little claustrophobic.

In other news, I mentioned last week that the...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Builder should be back next week (really gotta keep moving on this clearing-out business)...

...which meant he was gonna start working on this space you see above (the new arcade) today or so.

However, when I contacted him last week, I received some really awful news...

Screenshot_20190528-150832 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190528-150832 (resized).png

Needless to say, I sent him our condolences and left him alone since then. I'm impressed he even wrote back. Not sure I could have under the same circumstances. We'd chat about her condition when he was finishing the half-wall storage area, but didn't expect things to progress so rapidly. All this to say, this thread might be on hiatus for a bit.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

it turns out that size doesn't matter.

hmmm

you don't say...

I have got a challenge for you

#49 4 years ago

I worked a bit on an alternate neon design today. Here's what I came up with:

neonMockBookStarBW.jpgneonMockBookStarBW.jpg

I'm not convinced this is "it" but I was trying for a couple of things:

1. to further personalize the sign (I'm a comics artist and the book in the top left is representative of a comic book, the font is art-deco-inspired rather than a simple single-line font, and those vegas-y stars just scream yesteryear cool)

~and~

2. to design within the more price-efficient animation parameters I learned about last week (flashing, alternating, or 4-frame transformers).

So, here's the first mock-up:

neonMockBookStar.gifneonMockBookStar.gif

...in which I tried using that 4-frame animation on the book in the top left.

Then, the flashing transformer for the star:

neonMockBookStar2.gifneonMockBookStar2.gif

Finally, I pulled those flippers away from the central design a bit, which allowed them to have an alternating animation:

neonMockBookStar3.gifneonMockBookStar3.gif

There are elements I like about this and others I do not.

I like the color choices (I tried A LOT of different combinations and I'm pretty happy with this scheme), I like the new font (I think the additional pieces of tubing look pretty great), and I like multiple types of animation without having to break the bank (it's pretty mesmerizing...I just kinda wanna sit here and stare at that last one, which is the effect I want it to have).

I'm not super keen on the outline shape around the letters. I think it kinda looks like a Chevrolet logo...

Chevrolet-logo.pngChevrolet-logo.png

...or a Southwestern motif:

sw.jpgsw.jpg

I'd rather it look like a 70's bowling alley than a dive-y motel in New Mexico.

So, we'll see. I've not run these designs past my neon guy (just finished this evening), but I'll try to get in touch with him soon to trouble-shoot any more ignorant design oversights I may have commited. Until then, I thought I'd share some progress to see if there might be any constructive criticism.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm not super keen on the outline shape around the letters. I think it kinda looks like a Chevrolet logo...

You could put the words inside the outline of a pinball machine? The outline could be at a 45º degree angle to make it more interesting - maybe even put the flippers in there too. I really like the animation of the flippers!

You are going to have to live with this for a long time, and you want it to be 'special', so don't commit until you are really happy with the design.

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-claytorian-basement-remodel?hl=easternbloc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.