Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PAPPYBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2G3A9614 (resized).jpeg
    48902292_2017593708540150_8795798022379274240_o-4 (resized).jpg
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    ClaytorArcadeSign.jpg
    goosiesEverywhere.gif
    bye.gif
    woodrail01_2000px.jpg
    woodrail02_2000px.jpg
    claytorArcade_2000px.jpg
    Pano2000.jpg
    modernEM_2000px.jpg
    modernEM_2000pxPANO.jpg
    79BDF22A-D86D-49BE-8CE8-569CD68ED654 (resized).png
    ClaytorArcade.gif
    F894D5B7-3843-49C3-B042-78231AD91071.gif
    tenor.gif
    There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 4 years ago

As has already been stated, just incredible! Truly unique. It's is refreshing to know that there are still craftsmen who take extreme pride in their work. This could not have been an inexpensive piece to create, and hopefully you will have decades of enjoyment from it!

Have you considered some sort of plexi to go in front of it? Not sure how the games would be arranged, but would hate to have someone bump into something on the sign and have it damaged after all of your hard work.

Chris

#252 4 years ago

The elephant has landed...congrats Ryan!!

#253 4 years ago

That is fricking awesome. Your guy does outstanding work. I can only guess the pictures don't do it justice.

#254 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

That thin is so cool.
    I would put it on a motion detection outlet so It will turn on anytime I was in the room!

Ha-ha! Thanks for the nice comment, Ryan, and for the suggestion. I've got it wired into a switch at soon as I walk into and out of the room, so it's pretty convenient.

Quoted from epthegeek:

The neon turned out freakin' amazing Ryan! Massive props to both you for the design and the neon guy for the craftsmanship!

Thanks, Eric!!! I feel the same way!!!

Quoted from epthegeek:

When do you start your side-gig in neon design?

Uhm...last week? It's true, before the sign was even finished I was contacted by an awfully nice collector I'd not formerly met about designing a neon for his new gameroom. I had a blast researching and designing this sign and would LOVE to do more. Josh (the neon guru) is excited about handing off the occasional design duties to me as well (and is also excited about the possibility of fabricating more custom neon for arcades/gamerooms!) so the situation worked out perfectly.

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Truly unique. It's is refreshing to know that there are still craftsmen who take extreme pride in their work. This could not have been an inexpensive piece to create, and hopefully you will have decades of enjoyment from it!

Of that I am certain. Thank you, Chris!

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Have you considered some sort of plexi to go in front of it? Not sure how the games would be arranged, but would hate to have someone bump into something on the sign and have it damaged after all of your hard work.

Chris

The thought crossed my mind. While plexi would make it more safe, I'm not a big fan of that layer of removal from the piece. I really love seeing the bare neon out in the open, but I guess we'll see how often something breaks. Ha-ha! I'm hoping for not very...but I am the father of a 6-year-old boy, so we'll see. Junior and I did go over the two rules of the new gameroom before I showed it to the family yesterday afternoon:

1. No touching the sign
    2. No throwing anything in the gameroom (balls or otherwise)

Hoping for the best!

Quoted from Stoomer:

The elephant has landed...congrats Ryan!!

Ha-ha! Thanks, Sean. Gettin' it prepped to receive your lovely former #stage-coach .

Speaking of which, I was up late last night putting finishing touches on a bunch of paint stuff.

When...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...the carpet guys...

...were installing the carpet, they scratched up the walls a little. Unavoidable, really, as they were hefting around a MASSIVE 300+ lb roll of carpet that is pretty coarse on the back. Anyhow, no big deal, but I went around touching up the walls after Josh brought my can of wall paint back from his neon shop. Also, after handling the sign and moving it into place, there were some scuffs on the edges, as well as some misplaced drill holes (due to my mismeasurements, not Josh's) and screwheads of a different color:

IMG_20190829_184618546 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_184618546 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190829_184649219 (resized).jpgIMG_20190829_184649219 (resized).jpg

So I puttied, sanded (a bit...albeit hastily), and repainted...

fix (resized).jpgfix (resized).jpg

fix2 (resized).jpgfix2 (resized).jpg

...in preparation for the games going back in later today. Not perfect, but hardly noticeable, especially from any distance that doesn't require a macro lens.

roomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpgroomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpg

*swoon*

Alright, gotta prep for @paddlepaw 's arrival.

Later!

mom.gifmom.gif

#255 4 years ago

Be sure that all of the phillips screws are aligned so the slots are all set in the same direction. (yeah I do that for real, its an OCD thing).

And I will add, the neon is just ridiculously cool.

#257 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Be sure that all of the phillips screws are aligned so the slots are all set in the same direction. (yeah I do that for real, its an OCD thing).

Oh, gawd, please don't suggest an addition to my OCD. I'm sure, like all of us, I've got plenty! *LOL*

Also, *SIGH!!!* my land...I'm beat. This afternoon, this...

roomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpgroomWallFullSizeNoDimensions (resized).jpg

...turned into this...

IMG_20190830_232333341 (resized).jpgIMG_20190830_232333341 (resized).jpg

...and the 8-hour night of moving, emergency late night leg bolt trip to Lowe's, and multiple trips up and down multiple flights of stairs hefting games couldn't have happened nearly as quick or efficiently without paddlepaw

IMG_20190830_192845837 (resized).jpgIMG_20190830_192845837 (resized).jpg

My land, if there was ever a Grand Champion of this evening, it's him. Thanks a bunch, homie! That was a TON of work.

Still some finishing touches and clean up to do, but the games are pretty much all there and pretty much all working as they were when I put 'em on their butts 4 months ago.

The one drawback of the evening is that I may have overestimated the amount of room I have for games. Ha-ha! I was estimating room for 15. Looks like it might be room for 13. That's how many are in place at the moment, but perhaps with some creative shuffling I might stuff another one in there? Or maybe I'll just allow for some breathing room and sell a couple pins. *shrugs*

That, however, is a project for another day. <---(This evening's oft repeated motto. *LOL* )

For now...

tenor.giftenor.gif

#258 4 years ago

It’s really coming together.

F894D5B7-3843-49C3-B042-78231AD91071.gifF894D5B7-3843-49C3-B042-78231AD91071.gif
    #259 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...turned into this...

Love how the sign is reflecting off the backglasses! Its going to look even better with all the pins in and turned on.

#260 4 years ago

This whole thing is really quite stunning

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Or maybe I'll just allow for some breathing room and sell a couple pins. *shrugs*

That Sheba is too close to the neon so you can sell it to me.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Its going to look even better with all the pins in and turned on.

In our haste to get games on legs last night, I forgot to plug in a few jones plugs and insert balls. Got another four games running as they should this morning and my wife helped clean up some of the detritus from last night's all-hours set-up. All that to say, it edges ever closer to the photo-op we've all been waiting for.

Another thing I accomplished this morning was a nice tripod-mounted video uploaded to YouTube:

...and after all this, it's only fitting to have an animated gif of said video:

ClaytorArcade.gifClaytorArcade.gif

#263 4 years ago

THAT IS AWESOME!

#265 4 years ago

Absolutely fantastic!!

#266 4 years ago

Now I want neon in my game room!

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

THAT IS AWESOME!

Quoted from phillyfan64:

Absolutely fantastic!!

Quoted from EricHadley:

This whole thing is really quite stunning

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It’s really coming together.[quoted image]

Thank you! I'm still coming to terms with it myself. It's kinda hard for me to believe it's reality yet.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

ClaytorNEON, LLC registered yet?

Ha! Considering I've not bent a single tube, that DBA is likely still up for grabs.

Quoted from EricHadley:

Now I want neon in my game room!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Josh Goodacre

Edit: ...and I was just notified, Josh set up a Facebook page for his business TONIGHT:

https://www.facebook.com/neon4u2

#268 4 years ago

I'm happy for you... it looks like the perfect addition to your new space. It looks spectacular and there is a personal meaning to the sign. I'm guessing the neon guy will be getting some additional business from Pinsiders.

Awesome space!

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Oh, gawd, please don't suggest an addition to my OCD. I'm sure, like all of us, I've got plenty! *LOL*

Wait, you mean all the screws on all of your electrical outlet and switch plates in the house are not turned to the vertical position????

Some people prefer to set them all horizontal, but those are crazy people.

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Wait, you mean all the screws on all of your electrical outlet and switch plates in the house are not turned to the vertical position????

Friends don’t let friends have askew switch plate screws. (It’s one of those “poor life choices” PSA’s that you should learn as a child.) Vertical is a must.

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Friends don’t let friends have askew switch plate screws. (It’s one of those “poor life choices” PSA’s that you should learn as a child.) Vertical is a must.

Askew, great word, google it though, worth the 5 seconds

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Am I missing something? Exactly what I thought it meant.

79BDF22A-D86D-49BE-8CE8-569CD68ED654 (resized).png79BDF22A-D86D-49BE-8CE8-569CD68ED654 (resized).png
    #273 4 years ago

the entire screen is askew... it’s an awesome Easter egg.

#274 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Ha! I had to go back and check, I totally missed that!

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Quoted from roar:

Quoted from yzfguy:

Ha! I had to go back and check, I totally missed that!

*LOL* That's pretty incredible.

#276 4 years ago

Okay, everyone. I think this will pretty much put a fork in this thread. I finally got the last of the (major) kinks worked out of our basement and took some time this evening to snap some glamour shots. Please enjoy the new pictures of the new Claytor Arcade!

claytorArcade_2000px.jpgclaytorArcade_2000px.jpg

Pano2000.jpgPano2000.jpg

The wood rails:

woodrail02_2000px.jpgwoodrail02_2000px.jpg

woodrail01_2000px.jpgwoodrail01_2000px.jpg

E.M.'s and Moderns:

modernEM_2000px.jpgmodernEM_2000px.jpg

modernEM_2000pxPANO.jpgmodernEM_2000pxPANO.jpg

And just so I don't have to link to multiple posts, I figured I'd include some images and video of the neon.

High res:

ClaytorArcadeSign.jpgClaytorArcadeSign.jpg

Animated GIF:

ClaytorArcade.gifClaytorArcade.gif

YouTube Video:

It's been an awfully fun ride. Thanks coming along with me and for keeping me smiling over the course of the past 4+ months of renovations and no access to my pins. I swear I just smile when I walk into this room now.

goosiesEverywhere.gifgoosiesEverywhere.gif

Now it's time for me to go enjoy this new space.

Later, homies!

bye.gifbye.gif

#277 4 years ago

looks sooooo nice mate, enjoy

#278 4 years ago

just saw this thread and it looks awesome... top job man!

Every arcade needs a neon in my view, it was one of the early decisions I made at my place, not cheap but adds so much to the place. Mounting the damn thing nearly killed me!

Congrats on a great room and a great set of pins!

48902292_2017593708540150_8795798022379274240_o-4 (resized).jpg48902292_2017593708540150_8795798022379274240_o-4 (resized).jpg

2G3A9614 (resized).jpeg2G3A9614 (resized).jpeg

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from roar:the entire screen is askew... it’s an awesome Easter egg.

At first I was thinking how the hell did a screen shot come out crooked. Well played google....

#280 4 years ago

Ryan that looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the journey with us! Patiently awaiting the party invite...

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

In our haste to get games on legs last night, I forgot to plug in a few jones plugs and insert balls. Got another four games running as they should this morning and my wife helped clean up some of the detritus from last night's all-hours set-up. All that to say, it edges ever closer to the photo-op we've all been waiting for.
    Another thing I accomplished this morning was a nice tripod-mounted video uploaded to YouTube:

...and after all this, it's only fitting to have an animated gif of said video:
    [quoted image]

My jaw is still on the floor! Amzazzzzzing! Alas with it being at clumsy human height (basically shoulder height or below) I echo the other poster who mentioned something in front of it. I’d be about someone stumbling or accidentally leaning into it

Everyone will be jelly of your work and the output! Outstanding!

5 months later
    #282 4 years ago

Incredible!

Love the sign

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-claytorian-basement-remodel/page/6?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.